International Saimoe League Forums

Discussion forum for all ISML matters

Diamond Period 2017 Featured Match Write-ups

Diamond Period 2017 Featured Match Write-ups

Postby Momento10 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Featured Match previews/descriptions/teasers for ISML matches are needed every round. Anyone in the community is welcome to contribute in any language. Accepted submissions will be displayed on the front page during the voting round and archived on the site afterwards. You may receive cookies when you submit and/or help edit write-ups.

Archived write-ups can be found here for reference: http://2016.internationalsaimoe.com/con ... _index.php

Guidelines
  • You must be fair to all candidates involved. Write in a neutral voice but keep the reader in suspense, too.
  • Writers have a max total of 5 previews per round.
  • 200-word limit for each Regular Season Female preview, Regular Season Male preview, and 1v1 Exhibition preview, regardless of content or style.
  • 300-word limit for each Exhibition 2v2 preview, due to the pairing of contestants.
  • 450-word limit for each Necklace/Pendant and Necklace/Pendant Exhibition preview.
  • Please use the spelling conventions that ISML uses (e.g. with the macrons ō and ū).
  • Because these will be on the front page, appropriateness and quality of writing are extremely important.
  • Please proofread your work from the perspective of a normal visitor; would he or she understand what you wrote?
  • Try to avoid major plot/character spoilers.
  • Unfortunately, not every submission will be featured.
  • And perhaps MOST IMPORTANT, final revisions of the submissions must be turned in, at the latest, at 10:00 GMT--5 hours before the start of each match.

Tips for Writers
  • Beware of long, cumbersome sentences. While many of them are technically correct, with their commas and conjunctions, they often sound very awkward and become difficult to follow after some length. Try to be considerate of your readers and vary up your sentences' lengths to create regular patterns. Read your works out loud and consider how each sentence sounds.
  • Be very careful of using the same words over and over (example: "girl"), and of using the same sentence structures repeatedly (ex: "Girl A blah blah blah blah blah. On the other hand, Girl B blah blah blah"). Avoid repetition and get creative with your descriptions of the contestants, while still remaining true to their characters.
  • Most of all, try to have fun with your writing! If you find yourself in a slump and using the same style repeatedly with no vigor to your work, then take a break. Maybe read a blog entry or something elsewhere to freshen up your language, then try to write on a clean page. If you're forcing yourself and not having fun, then stop. Come back for the next round. If you're having trouble with something, let us know here and someone or multiple "someones" is/are bound to jump in and aid you.
Post your writings here, and Staff will review and consider them. If you have just ideas, but not whole write-ups, that's okay, too! We can all help each other come up with the best paragraphs to introduce our matches. Thank you for helping to improve ISML!
Momento10
Titan
Titan

Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2016 Female Favorite: Tedeza Rize
2016 Male Favorite: Kraft Lawrence
Wish: ISML - A new face for the champion.
KBM - to revive
AST - to encourage international participation
IRL - My definition of peace and tranquility.
Cards: Momento10's Cards

Re: Diamond Period 2017 Featured Match Write-ups

Postby Momento10 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:07 pm

Spoiler for Diamond 1:
Yuigahama Yui (OreGairu) vs. Rem (Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu)
To find a place where she belongs – that is all that she wants. Yuigahama Yui managed to click well with the group that she mingled with, but whenever she tried to voice her own opinion, she would be looked down upon by her group. Because it took her a while to find a circle of friends, Yui does not want to sever the current relationship she has. However, if things continue to be this way, Yui may need guidance to help her figure out if change is needed. Rem always wanted to feel useful to someone, searching for some meaning in her life. Working at a mansion gives her something to do, but Rem wonders if there is more to her than the work she is currently doing. Until the spark of inspiration comes, she would have to do with what she is given, as it gives her a semblance of peace. Will either of them find what they are searching for before it is too late?

Megumin (KonoSuba) vs. Jibril (No Game No Life)
The fun never stops when these two are around. Megumin is more than happy to take on any quest that is placed in front of her. The adventurer inside her not only seeks combat, but is ready to show the world why her favorite magic spell is the best in the world. Although her ability is a meant to be the final back-up plan, she is more than ready to take on the spotlight when the time comes. Jibril’s hunger for new knowledge knows no boundaries. With every conflict settled through games and activities, it is up to her to find new ways to regain the glory of her kind. With knowledge comes power, and Jibril is willing to learn everything there is to know about her world, even if it means playing along with those who try to take her library of information. Who will be able to get the last laugh when the match is over?

Togashi Yūta (Chūnibyō demo Koi ga Shitai!) vs. Yukihira Sōma (Shokugeki no Sōma)
No matter what they are tasked with, they will see it through to the end. It seemed that everyone indirectly assigned Togashi Yūta to take care of the mysterious girl who speaks in odd phrases. Although interacting with her reminded him of his most embarrassing moments, Yūta still took the time to know her better and understand her story through her eyes. He may be the only one who could keep up with her antics, but Yūta would not want it any other way. Yukihira Sōma immediately made a name for himself when he stated that he will be the top chef of the academy in three years. Many tried to shut down his arrogance, challenging him in a variety of cook-offs that are to their advantage. Yet, no matter who he is facing, Sōma will find a way to surprise the audience and his judges with his unique cooking style. When the dust settles, who will be the one standing tall in the end?
Momento10
Titan
Titan

Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
KBM - to revive

Postby Momento10 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Spoiler for Diamond 2:
Emilia (Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu) vs. Miyamizu Mitsuha (Kimi no Na wa)
As long as they have the strength to believe, they can overcome anything. Emilia may be feared by her people, but that does not stop her from trying to interact with them. Emilia takes time to visit the town and mingle with others, even if they do not pay any mind to her. Whether it is politics or for their safety, Emilia will do whatever it takes to try and win their support. It is hard for Miyamizu Mitsuha to live without a motherly figure, let alone without the support of her father. A lot f pressure is on the one who is gossiped often by her classmates and neighborhood. Still, Mitsuha tries to make the most out of her life with her friends and sister. Who will be able to continue to push forward after all is said and done?
Momento10
Titan
Titan

Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
KBM - to revive

Postby Momento10 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:32 pm

Spoiler for Diamond 3:
Kasumigaoka Utaha (Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata) vs. Yuigahama Yui (OreGairu)
You know, you remind me of someone I know, someone I admire. You are a strong, independent woman on the outside, but you do not mind a little company every once in a while. You break yourself away from others, yet you wish that they get to know you a little more first. I believe you and I can be great friends, if you are willing to open your heart for someone like me.

I also find you familiar as well. You used to be in the background, following the flow of time as if you would not make any significant change. Yet, here you stand, creating your own story and dragging everyone along with you whether they are aware of it or not. The power to accept change is something that I lack. Perhaps you will be able to show me the next step I have been searching for.

We see something in each other that we have yet to see in ourselves. Perhaps there is more to us that meets our eyes. I hope to gain enough confidence after this match to continue to change and, most importantly, better myself.

Gilgamesh (Fate Series) vs, Totsuka Saika (OreGairu)
In what can be dubbed as “Goliath vs. David,” Gilgamesh and Totsuka Saika will square off to see who the better challenger is. For Gilgamesh, no man is worthy of stepping into the same arena as him, let alone breathing the same air. To him, everything of value should be granted to him, from the smallest of jewels to the grandest of chalices. He may talk a big game, but he is able to back it up with his overwhelming might and power that few are able to handle. Unlike Gilgamesh, Saika did not have the luxury of relaxing and having things done for him. For too long, he has been mistreated by his peers for his size and appearance. With hard work and dedication, Saika was able to prove the naysayers wrong and showed them that he belongs in the sporting world, whether they agree with him or not. Will Gilgamesh wipe the floor clean without moving a muscle, or will Saika provide the come-from-behind victory?

Emiya Kiritsugu (Fate Series) vs. Satō Kazuma (KonoSuba)
Craftiness is key is either of these two competitors wished to have his arm raised by the end of the bout. Emiya Kiritsugu does not care much about a face-to-face battle, let alone a battle of valor. He will use every trick in the book necessary if it meant obtaining certain victory. Guns, traps, poison – Kiritsugu will use everything in his arsenal as long as the ends meet his satisfaction. Satō Kazuma is more unpredictable than most people give him credit for. At one point, he might lend a hand to a fallen comrade, only to let go once he feels he or she is caught under his alluring trust. Still, Kazuma fights for what he believes will grant him he most optimal result, no matter who he sacrifices for it. Who will be able to gain the upper hand once the dust settles?
Momento10
Titan
Titan

Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
KBM - to revive

Postby Momento10 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:33 pm

Spoiler for Diamond 4:
Shiro (No Game No Life) vs. Rem (Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu)
The greater the pressure, the stronger their resolve is to make a difference. Shiro may lack the creative insight that her brother has, but her straightforward logic is enough to turn most tides to her favor. Even in the heat of battle, Shiro is constantly crunching numbers in her head, trying to figure out a way to get out of a predicament. No matter what happens, she will come out as the victor no matter what. Rem has never really found a place where she could feel comfortable around in, always walking on a fine line between what is safe and what she wants. An encounter with an unusual boy allowed her to walk her own path on what she feels is right for her. Now with a renewed spark, Rem is more than determined to keep the place she feels comfortable in safe. Who will not crack under pressure as the battle comes to a close?
Momento10
Titan
Titan

Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
KBM - to revive

Postby Momento10 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:34 pm

Spoiler for Diamond 5:
Gilgamesh (Fate Series) vs. Emiya Shirō (Fate Series)
“You call this a match? This is not a match; it is a sacrifice. What are your credentials? I am known as the King of Kings. You are but a measly human. Look at this; look at me. Fear my power; fear my glory. This is what perfection looks like. You are nothing but a gilded piece of nonsense trying to be real. You are nothing but a fraud, and you will always be a fake.”

“You can call me whatever you want; I do not care. You say that you have everything in the world, but I have something that you will never have: a heart. I want to help as many people as possible because I can. I want to be the foundation that people can rely on when they are in need. More importantly, I want to show people like you that even someone like me can become a hero.”

“You are in my way on my road towards my goals. Surrender now, or face my fury!“

“I will show you what a human can do when trapped in a corner!”

Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist) vs. Yukihira Sōma (Shokugeki no Sōma)
Sometimes, it is the little things in life that mean the most. Edward Elric’s strong bond towards his younger brother is what allows him to push past his limits. It was his fault that his brother was caught in an experiment gone wrong. Therefore, he will do everything in his power to turn things around and amend his past mistakes. Yukihira Sōma cares fondly about his family restaurant, as it carries treasured memories between him and his father. For him, targeting his restaurant name is the same as stepping on his childhood. Those who look down on him because of his upbringing are to be prepared, for Sōma is more than to serve them with a plate of their own words. Who will be able to continue to protect what he cares about until the end of the match?

Tachibana Taki (Kimi no Na wa) vs. Satō Kazuma (KonoSuba)
As long as they keep a cool head, they can take control of any situation. At first, Tachibana Taki was more than happy to take advantage of his unusual phenomenon. However, as he saw the world through another person’s eyes, he starts to appreciate and value the life his person was living. When things take a turn for the worse, it was up to Taki to take matters into his own hands and protect the things he cares most about. Satō Kazuma seems to run into a variety of precarious scenarios no matter which way he turns. Juggling between protecting his own skin and making sure none of his guild members do anything suspicious that would get all of them in trouble, Kazuma was not living the adventurer life he wanted. Even with the myriad of unfortunate events, Kazuma still finds a way to get out of any predicament unscathed. Who will be able to make the most out of this situation when all is said and done?
Momento10
Titan
Titan

Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
KBM - to revive

Postby Momento10 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:35 pm

Spoiler for Diamond 6:
Shiina Mashiro (Sakura-sō no Pet na Kanojo) vs.
Tokisaki Kurumi (Date A Live) vs.
Yukinoshita Yukino (OreGairu) vs.
Megumin (KonoSuba) vs.
Makise Kurisu (Steins;Gate) vs.
Shiro (No Game; No Life) vs.
Illyasviel Von Einzbern (Fate Series) vs.
Aisaka Taiga (Toradora!)

As a representation of the embodiment of emotions, the Diamond Necklace is said to shine its brightest when one is able to control her emotions. Shiina Mashiro was not fully aware of what her talent can do to those around her. Because of this, she wants to be someone who can ignite the creative fire in other’s hearts, not diminish it. It may not appear so because of her words or actions, but Tokisaki Kurumi merely wanted someone to understand her fear and pain. Until she can find someone, she will continue her quest to destroy the source of her suffering. Yukinoshita Yukino’s gaze features a thousand words, from a girl who does not wish to waste her time on trivial matters to someone constantly buried with expectations. No matter what tasks are placed in front of her, Yukino will find a way to complete it to perfection. Megumin is more than happy to show off her expertise In topics that she loves. Whether it be about explosions, cute objects, or her desire to learn more about the adult world, Megumin gives it her all in any subject. Makise Kurisu usually diminishes any idea of the supernatural becoming a reality. Yet, behind the computer screen, Kurisu is more than interested in the topic, discussing various theories on several message boards. Shiro is usually quiet and composed whenever by herself or without her brother in tow. When thrown in the middle of a game, Shiro’s true personality is exposed: someone who is more than happy to take on the challenges placed in front of her. The dark abyss in Illyasviel von Einzbern’s eyes tells a story of a girl who went through events that normally would not happen to someone like her. Yet, she continues to fight, in search for both revenge and truth behind her tainted past. Aisaka Taiga usually keeps things to herself, not wanting anyone to see either her vicious or vulnerable side. Taiga simply wishes for bonds strong enough to overcome her insecurities in making proper friends. Who will be able to control their wheel of fate and proceed onward towards the Diamond Necklace?

Fujibayashi Kyō (CLANNAD) & Fujibayashi Ryō (CLANNAD) vs.
Hiiragi Kagami (Lucky ☆ Star) & Hiiragi Tsukasa (Lucky ☆ Star)

A bond between siblings is strong, but the connection between twins is much stronger. Fujibayashi Kyō is the wild one, always ready to put her foot on the ground whenever she has an opinion on a certain matter. Fujibayashi Ryō is the calm one, preferring to spend her time by reading other people’s fortunes or dwelling on simple lunches. When they are together, Kyō pushes Ryō to become more assertive on her thoughts and feelings while Ryō makes sure Kyō does not neglect her own feelings just to make other people happy. Hiiragi Kagami is the realist, applying logic and reasoning into her friends to continue to spout things she considers nonsense. Hiiragi Tsukasa is the dreamer, letting her mind take her on a variety of journeys to ease her mind and heart. While they may be opposites, Kagami is there to give Tsukasa moral support when needed, and Tsukasa helps Kagami loosen up and enjoy the simple things life gave them. Which twin will be able to show the other what they are truly capable of when their minds think alike?
Momento10
Titan
Titan

Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
KBM - to revive

Return to Diamond