International Saimoe League Forums

Discussion forum for all ISML matters

[Game] Holy Grail War (Interest Gauge)

Are you bored waiting for results or that next match day? Start or play a game here! Note that your post count will not increase in this forum.

[Game] Holy Grail War (Interest Gauge)

Postby RailWarrior » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:03 pm

Rules:
Players will be divided into two teams: Red and Black. The players will not be told who their allies are.

Each team member will receive a unique class at random. Each class has a different ability, listed below.

The goal of the game is to kill all players of the opposing team. This will occur as follows: at the end of each round, all players still alive are to PM me with the name of a player they wish to vote off. These votes will be sent to the Assassins. Assassin may choose between one of the top two voted players, and that player will be killed. Note that because players do not know their teammates, the killed off player may be a team member. For this reason, Assassin may elect to take no action if he does not trust the vote.

Note that Assassin is a bonus role assigned to a player in addition to a normal class role. If Assassin is killed, the role is transferred to a different member of the team.

Each round lasts 24 hours. The rounds will be followed by an intermediate Assassin Phase, where the Assassins choose their targets. Abilities may only be used during the main rounds (they may not be used in the Assassin Phase). Abilities take effect in the next round. Unless otherwise stated, abilities may be used each round.

The classes and their respective ability are as follows:
  • Saber - This player starts with two lives. As long as Saber has two lives and has not yet been identified by Ruler or Caster, Saber may choose to reveal his/her identity to everyone and sacrifice one life to reveal the identity of a random enemy. The enemy's identity will be sent to Saber via PM.
  • Archer - This player may cast two votes. Additionally, Archer may PM me the name of a player. The declared player has his/her ability sealed for the current round.
  • Lancer - This player has the option to PM me with the following message: "I think I will be killed." If this prediction is correct, his assailant is killed instead. If this prediction is wrong, Lancer loses this ability for the next three rounds of the game.
  • Rider - If this player has a plurality of the vote, his vote count will be reduced by 50% (rounded up). These votes are redistributed to the second and third place players. Additionally, if Rider accumulates 6 vote reductions, the identity of the player with the most votes will be revealed to Rider.
  • Caster - This player may PM me with the name of a class. If Caster is killed, all players of that class are revealed. This includes your teammate, if applicable. The Assassin role may be declared. Caster may change the class selection as many times as he/she wishes. The latest selection will be used.
  • Berserker - If Berserker is killed, the opposing Assassin is also killed. This occurs regardless of who kills Berserker. Additionally, Berserker may choose to willingly reveal his/her identity. In this case, the field becomes "frozen with fear": all votes in the current round are discarded, and Assassin will get a free choice of who to kill.
  • Ruler - This player has the option to PM me with the name of a player. That player's identity is then revealed to everyone.
  • Shielder - This player has the option to PM me with the name of a player. If that player was targeted by Assassin, that player will not die. This occurs even if that player was targeted by Shielder's own Assassin. Shielder may not defend him/herself more than twice in a row. This limit does not apply to defending other players.
  • Saver - Once per game, this player has the option to PM me with the name of a player. The declared player is then revived. Saver may not revive him/herself.
  • Avenger - At the start of the game, this player will PM me with the name of a player. Avenger may then PM me with the name of one other player. If the first player dies, the second player will also die. Avenger may change his second selection as many times as he wishes, but the first selection is permanent.
  • Faker - At the start of the game, Faker will be assigned a role from one of the opposing team's unused classes. Faker does not possess the ability of that class. If Ruler declares Faker's name, Faker will be revealed as the dummy role as well as a member of the opposing team. For example, Faker of Red with the Saver role will be revealed as Saver of Black. Additionally, if Caster declares "Saver," Faker will be identified.
  • Watcher - This player has the option to PM me with the name of a player. The player's identity will be revealed to Watcher via PM. Watcher can bypass Faker's ability. For fear of imbalance, both teams are guaranteed a Watcher (Or, neither will possess a Watcher).

Regarding ability priority: Abilities will take effect in what I believe to be the logical order. For example, Archer's ability naturally has the highest priority. Assassin has the lowest priority, with the exception of abilities that activate upon death.

A few notes on abilities:
  • If Archer targets Saber, Saber's life is reduced to 1 until the end of the following round.
  • Archer cannot seal Assassin's ability to kill someone.
  • Regarding Saver's ability: Saber is revived with 2 life and is considered "unidentified." Once-per-game abilities are reset to zero. Faker is revived as his dummy class. Lancer may use his ability immediately if it would otherwise have been on cooldown.
  • If Berserker is killed by an opposing Saber with the Assassin role, the opposing Saber loses both lives. In any other case, the opposing Saber loses 1 life.
  • If Archer's ability is sealed and Archer had already cast his two votes, the vote will go to the first person Archer named.

If interested, post below. The game will start if there are a sufficient number of players.
Last edited by RailWarrior on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 26 times in total.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy

Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2017 Female Favorite: Kanbe Kotori
2017 Male Favorite: Sakamaki Izayoi
2016 Female Favorite: Hiiragi Shinoa
2016 Male Favorite: Sakamaki Izayoi
Cards: RailWarrior's Cards

Re: [Game] Holy Grail War (Interest Gauge)

Postby shadowhunter » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:09 pm

WOW, Holy Grail!
At first, some questions:
a) What if Faker becomes an Assassin? Nothing happens?
b) Saver PMs you after the death of player?
c) Can Avenger choose himself and PM you with the name of someone after death?

And I want to join!

Thanks to Hikarin for amazing signature!
shadowhunter
~Shadow Crafter~
~Shadow Crafter~

Melon Pan: 63
2017 Female Favorite: Aoyama Nanami
2017 Male Favorite: Otonashi Yuzuru
2016 Male Favorite: Kamijō Tōma
Cards: shadowhunter's Cards

Postby RailWarrior » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:16 pm

a) Faker cannot be Assassin because Faker is assigned one of the opposing team's unused roles.
b) Yes, Saver PMs after the player is dead, but it doesn't matter when that player died.
c) Logically speaking, he can't avenge himself if he's dead. So for now, I'll say no. This can be changed if others want yes.

Edit.
Oh, I think I may have misinterpreted a).
If you mean what happens when Faker is assigned the actual Assassin role for his/her team, the Faker ability takes precedence if it is a command from Ruler. If Caster declares Assassin, then Faker is revealed as his dummy role + Assassin. Note that this will also reveal your own team's Assassin, though.

Example:
Rail is Saber of Red + Assassin
Rabbit is Faker of Black with Archer role + Assassin

Caster dies and declares Assassin. The following happens:
"Rail is Saber of Red and the Assassin"
"Rabbit is Archer of Red and the Assassin"
Last edited by RailWarrior on Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy

Badges:
ImageImage

Postby shadowhunter » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:29 pm

RailWarrior wrote:a) Faker cannot be Assassin because Faker is assigned one of the opposing team's unused roles.
b) Yes, Saver PMs after the player is dead, but it doesn't matter when that player died.
c) Logically speaking, he can't avenge himself if he's dead. So for now, I'll say no. This can be changed if others want yes.

Edit.
Oh, I think I may have misinterpreted a).
If you mean what happens when Faker is assigned the actual Assassin role for his/her team, the Faker ability takes precedence if it is a command from Ruler. If Caster declares Assassin, then Faker is revealed as his dummy role + Assassin. Note that this will also reveal your own team's Assassin, though.

Actually, your first guess was right. Ok, I got it, thanks!

Thanks to Hikarin for amazing signature!
shadowhunter
~Shadow Crafter~
~Shadow Crafter~

Melon Pan: 63
2017 Female Favorite: Aoyama Nanami
2017 Male Favorite: Otonashi Yuzuru
2016 Male Favorite: Kamijō Tōma
Cards: shadowhunter's Cards

Postby Toady » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:55 pm

I will join =)

I'm a bit afraid about what would happen is the Ruler(s) die early, because there wouldn't be lots of ways to guess the team of each player in this case ^^'
But let's see how it goes!
#Drunkard4Ever #ThanksKiwi

Spoiler for Much stuff (but Chibaka has more):
Hikarin <3

Thank you Secret Santa :3
Toady
[School Idol Producer]
[School Idol Producer]

Badges:
Worships: Tsuruya-san
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Female Favorite: Nakano Azusa
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2016 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2016 Male Favorite: Kaiki Deishū
Wish: A wedding for Nico & Maki
Cards: Toady's Cards

Postby Homura » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:23 pm

Ready to be summoned, I will join. That Lancer's ability setting is sarcastic and cute btw lol
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]

Melon Pan: 55
2017 Female Favorite: Katō Megumi
2017 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma
2016 Female Favorite: Shana
2016 Male Favorite: Araragi Koyomi
Cards: Homura's Cards

Postby Kiwigiwi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Toady wrote:I will join =)

I'm a bit afraid about what would happen is the Ruler(s) die early, because there wouldn't be lots of ways to guess the team of each player in this case ^^'
But let's see how it goes!

Going by the rules and if Rail is taking inspiration from Fate/Apocrypha: Rulers aren't on either side so technically isn't fighting in the war. And since everyone knows that he's the ruler, I doubt anyone would vote to have him killed. Whether or not he can die is another thing though.
Never mind I'm dumb

Rules might take a bit of getting used to but I'm intrigued by this idea. Count me in <3
Kiwi's mixtape
Spoiler:
♫ Much love to my secret santa ♥
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]

Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Grouchy Mcgrouch
Melon Pan: 81
2017 Female Favorite: Kirigiri Kyōko
2017 Male Favorite: Heiwajima Shizuo
Wish: 恭喜中國
Cards: Kiwigiwi's Cards

Postby RailWarrior » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:25 pm

Changed Rider ability to get rid of luck factor.
Added Watcher class.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy

Badges:
ImageImage

Postby houreki » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:31 pm

ok this sounds fun, so im in!

Spoiler:
ImageImage
Thanks for all the awesome sigs :>
houreki
~Lurking Terror~
~Lurking Terror~

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Melon Pan: 18
2017 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
2016 Female Favorite: Sakagami Tomoyo
2016 Male Favorite: Hijikata Toshirō
Cards: houreki's Cards

Postby ezethan97 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Sounds like fun. I'll join.
ezethan97
Samurai
Samurai

Worships: Megumin
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Female Favorite: Megumin
Cards:

Postby Chibasa » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:59 pm

Let's join!

Spoiler for "much more stuff than Toady":

ImageImageImageImageImage
Hikarin is the best

After facing the rain, you'll become an even cuter rainbow !Keep believe in yourself. <3
Chibasa
[You can (not) Zura]
[You can (not) Zura]

Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Yamada Naoko
Melon Pan: 120
2017 Female Favorite: Kasumigaoka Utaha
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
2016 Female Favorite: Tokisaki Kurumi
2016 Male Favorite: Kyon
Wish: Not disappointing the ones I love.
Successful ISML 2017. Humans living in harmony.
Cards: Chibasa's Cards

Postby Reverend » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:53 pm

Hey there's still some spot. I'm in, then.

Btw, what is Rabbit? The church's observator?
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~

Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 4
Cards: Reverend's Cards

Postby RailWarrior » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:53 pm

Updated some of the classes. There almost surely will be some balance issues, but hopefully those will be fixed given that this isn't a one-shot game.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy

Badges:
ImageImage

Postby Reverend » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:24 am

RailWarrior wrote:Updated some of the classes. There almost surely will be some balance issues, but hopefully those will be fixed given that this isn't a one-shot game.

1. Watcher should only be restricted when there are enough number of people in each team. I mean: imagine a 4 v 4 with a Watcher each. 0 0
2. Question: if a Saber with 2 lives kills a Berserker, does she lose both lives? or just one?
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~

Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 4
Cards: Reverend's Cards

Postby RailWarrior » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:52 am

1. Not planning on introducing Watcher into a 4 vs. 4. I'm thinking it would only be required if we somehow reach a 6 vs. 6
2. Haven't thought of that. Both options seem attractive to me. I'll come to a decision later if no one has a preference.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy

Badges:
ImageImage

Postby WankoMC » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:26 am

Sounds fun, count me in plz~
#DRUNKARD TEAM
Oh boi, when did I become so orange!?

Spoiler for Oirya? My funky little space!!:
ImageImage
Thank you, for every effort and love you two put in those sigs for us >:3
WankoMC
[3,14% Pasta]
[3,14% Pasta]

Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Me :3
Melon Pan: 376
2017 Female Favorite: Watanabe Yō
2017 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
2016 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
Wish: PLUS ULTRA!
Cards: WoodyMC's Cards

Postby Homura » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:28 am

RailWarrior -> GrailWarrior
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]

Postby Homura » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:37 am

RailWarrior wrote:Rider - If this player is targeted by Assassin but did not receive at least 60% of the vote, he/she will not die. Should Assassin fail to kill Rider in this manner, the Assassin role will be transferred to a teammate.

How about make Rider's ability based on its swiftness? Let's say Rider can dodge a certain amount of attacks it's got each round, for example, Rider may only receive 70% (I just randomly made a number) of the votes targeting it, with all decimals being rounded to integer. How does this sound?
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]

Postby RailWarrior » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:22 am

How about "If Rider has a plurality of the votes, his votes are decreased by 30% or 2, whichever is higher. These votes are redistributed to the second and third place players"?
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy

Badges:
ImageImage

Postby Homura » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:15 am

That sounds pretty cool. Just one question:

For example, if the number of votes for the top 4 voted players are: 3 (Rider), 2, 2, 2, and the rest players all have 0 votes. How will the second and third place players be determined? Or in short, just how will such ties be broken? like in this example, will the two receiving 2 votes in shorter time be the second and third?
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]

Next

Return to Games and Baka