International Saimoe League Forums

Discussion forum for all ISML matters

Koe no Katachi

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!

Koe no Katachi

Postby Kiwigiwi » Sat May 27, 2017 9:14 am

No thread for this yet.

Any discussion of the movie and / or manga shall go here ♡
Kiwi's mixtape
Spoiler:
♫ Much love to my secret santa ♥
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]

Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Grouchy Mcgrouch
Melon Pan: 81
2017 Female Favorite: Kirigiri Kyōko
2017 Male Favorite: Heiwajima Shizuo
Wish: 恭喜中國
Cards: Kiwigiwi's Cards

Re: Koe no Katachi

Postby shadowhunter » Sat May 27, 2017 9:22 am

First half of movie is kinda hard for watching, while second (after removing one unnecessary detail from manga) looks a much better. Score: 9/10

Thanks to Hikarin for amazing signature!
shadowhunter
~Shadow Crafter~
~Shadow Crafter~

Melon Pan: 63
2017 Female Favorite: Aoyama Nanami
2017 Male Favorite: Otonashi Yuzuru
2016 Male Favorite: Kamijō Tōma
Cards: shadowhunter's Cards

Postby Kiwigiwi » Sat May 27, 2017 9:44 am

shadowhunter wrote:First half of movie is kinda hard for watching, while second (after removing one unnecessary detail from manga) looks a much better.

I love the movie to death, but I do have to agree. Someone who hasn't read the manga will probably have a hard time following what goes on in the first half of the movie.
Kiwi's mixtape
Spoiler:
♫ Much love to my secret santa ♥
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]

Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Grouchy Mcgrouch
Melon Pan: 81
2017 Female Favorite: Kirigiri Kyōko
2017 Male Favorite: Heiwajima Shizuo
Wish: 恭喜中國
Cards: Kiwigiwi's Cards

Postby Toady » Sat May 27, 2017 10:25 am

I love this manga. Really. I make a lot of people around me read it, even if they're not huge manga fans, because that story is awesome. The first tome (when all characters are kids) is so painful to read. I didn't think I could forgive Ishida... But how he changes via his interaction with the other characters is so good and so realistic. I love it.

The movie is also wonderful. Thank you Kyoto Animation <3 I really loved the art of the manga, but seeing animated-Shouko being embarrassed is priceless.
Spoiler:
Of course, they didn't adapt the full material. The did a couple of very good choices (cutting the movie, even if the scene with the eight characters at the amusement park feels a bit out of place because of it), had to cut a lot on the character development of side characters to focus on Shouya and Shouka (I don't think it's bad in itself, but it's a bit sad), but the biggest problem is that some scenes of the manga are adapted but not properly explained (like Yuzuru's picture of dead animals, Ueno blocking the door of Shouya's room, Miki Kawai being less a dick than in the manga, Satoshi coming from nowhere and being basically useless...) I don't mind that they didn't adapt the final chapter though. The anime didn't focus too much on romance after all.
I really liked the adaptation of the confession scene (tsuki?), Shouko and Shouya jumping in the pond, Shouya and Tomohiro being best friends and doing lots of stuff together (damn, that was so fun!) and obviously that suicide attempt scene.

I think I would rate the manga 10/10 and the anime 9/10.
Love them!

Also, comparing Koe no Katachi and Kimi no na wa makes no sense, please stop doing that.
#Drunkard4Ever #ThanksKiwi

Spoiler for Much stuff (but Chibaka has more):
Hikarin <3

Thank you Secret Santa :3
Toady
[School Idol Producer]
[School Idol Producer]

Badges:
Worships: Tsuruya-san
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Female Favorite: Nakano Azusa
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2016 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2016 Male Favorite: Kaiki Deishū
Wish: A wedding for Nico & Maki
Cards: Toady's Cards

Postby RailWarrior » Sat May 27, 2017 12:21 pm

Obligatory "holy fuckin' shit Hayamin, how did you do that?"

It was okay. Start was great. By the end, it was just a jumble of undeveloped ideas. And everything after waking up from the coma was boring.

On the other hand, Kimi no Na wa was complete garbage
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy

Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2017 Female Favorite: Kanbe Kotori
2017 Male Favorite: Sakamaki Izayoi
2016 Female Favorite: Hiiragi Shinoa
2016 Male Favorite: Sakamaki Izayoi
Cards: RailWarrior's Cards

Postby Chibasa » Sat May 27, 2017 2:23 pm

I think I would rate the manga 10/10 and the anime 9/10.
Love them!

Same here. I don't think they could pull off something better, would be hard to put more content, movie would be too long then.

KnK>KnN cause Yamada Naoko is best 3D girl

Spoiler for "much more stuff than Toady":

ImageImageImageImageImage
Hikarin is the best

After facing the rain, you'll become an even cuter rainbow !Keep believe in yourself. <3
Chibasa
[You can (not) Zura]
[You can (not) Zura]

Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Yamada Naoko
Melon Pan: 120
2017 Female Favorite: Kasumigaoka Utaha
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
2016 Female Favorite: Tokisaki Kurumi
2016 Male Favorite: Kyon
Wish: Not disappointing the ones I love.
Successful ISML 2017. Humans living in harmony.
Cards: Chibasa's Cards

Postby houreki » Sat May 27, 2017 6:17 pm

I loved the movie, i guess i agree that some side characters didn't got enough screen time like Shimada, but I'm not too bothered by that lol

Spoiler:
ImageImage
Thanks for all the awesome sigs :>
houreki
~Lurking Terror~
~Lurking Terror~

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Melon Pan: 18
2017 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
2016 Female Favorite: Sakagami Tomoyo
2016 Male Favorite: Hijikata Toshirō
Cards: houreki's Cards

Postby Reverend » Sat May 27, 2017 10:18 pm

I still wished it was an anime series. A 24-episodes one. (or maybe, a 12 or 13 x 48 minutes.)
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~

Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 4
Cards: Reverend's Cards

Postby Eater-of-All » Wed May 31, 2017 8:50 am

Kiwigiwi wrote:
shadowhunter wrote:First half of movie is kinda hard for watching, while second (after removing one unnecessary detail from manga) looks a much better.

I love the movie to death, but I do have to agree. Someone who hasn't read the manga will probably have a hard time following what goes on in the first half of the movie.

I haven't read the manga, but the first half wasn't particularly difficult to follow, IMO. After watching the movie, I read the discussions and looked up more details, and while some parts were left out that could've fleshed out the characters more, overall I think the movie gave enough hints that I can guess at each person's motivations pretty accurately. The only one that's shafted too much is probably
Spoiler:
Mashiba, to the point where he can pretty much be removed without much harm; although to be fair, he's still a nontrivial part of Kawai's character.

It was a very good film. Art and animation beautiful as expected. Fairly complex story that's worth multiple rewatches. There's a special production program (unsubbed, unfortunately) if anyone is interested in some KyoAni behind-the-scenes or seiyuu's thoughts on their characters. For instance, the reasoning behind the lack of clouds in the film.
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer

Badges:
Melon Pan: 65
Cards: Eater-of-All's Cards

Postby Toady » Wed May 31, 2017 11:03 am

Was the transition between young Ishida and older Ishida clear to you? I thought it could be easily confusing. Well they did use different voice actors, so that helps a lot.

No link at all, but...
Spoiler:
Burning so much money is terrible! I really find this scene painful to watch.
#Drunkard4Ever #ThanksKiwi

Spoiler for Much stuff (but Chibaka has more):
Hikarin <3

Thank you Secret Santa :3
Toady
[School Idol Producer]
[School Idol Producer]

Badges:
Worships: Tsuruya-san
2017 Female Favorite: Nakano Azusa
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2016 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2016 Male Favorite: Kaiki Deishū
Wish: A wedding for Nico & Maki
Cards: Toady's Cards

Postby Keima » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:10 am

Eater-of-All wrote:
Kiwigiwi wrote:

I haven't read the manga, but the first half wasn't particularly difficult to follow, IMO. After watching the movie, I read the discussions and looked up more details, and while some parts were left out that could've fleshed out the characters more, overall I think the movie gave enough hints that I can guess at each person's motivations pretty accurately. The only one that's shafted too much is probably
Spoiler:
Mashiba, to the point where he can pretty much be removed without much harm; although to be fair, he's still a nontrivial part of Kawai's character.

It was a very good film. Art and animation beautiful as expected. Fairly complex story that's worth multiple rewatches. There's a special production program (unsubbed, unfortunately) if anyone is interested in some KyoAni behind-the-scenes or seiyuu's thoughts on their characters. For instance, the reasoning behind the lack of clouds in the film.

Just finished this tonight and I think I agree. I mean I haven't actually gotten around to reading the manga myself (despite the fact it came very highly recommended by a good friend whose taste I generally trust), so maybe I am still missing some details that other manga readers might already have access too. But I don't really feel "confused" by the movie. But I did see a review right afterwards that filled in a few details that I wasn't sure about and that now I am sure about. So I guess that is kind of cheating. Overall I still want to give it a 10/10 if for no other reason that the directing and all the production values were absolutely superb in every way. LOVED how
Spoiler:
they used the "X" marks over peoples faces to signify whether there was a barrier between Shouya and everyone else, and how the "X"s fell away to signify that he's bridged a gap between them for lack of a better way to say it.

KyoAni more often times than not managed to get some truly great directors helming their works.

EDIT: One thing I think I'm not exactly clear on and think I could use some clarification - That one brief flashback Shouya had about his mom and it zeroed in on a closeup of her earlobe and it looked like it was bleeding from something - I'm guessing his mom was in an abusive relationship earlier on. For those that have read the manga, am I on point with this guess or am I completely off?
Keima
Assassin
Assassin

Worships: Black Rock Shooter (BRS)
2017 Female Favorite: Isla
2017 Male Favorite: Katsuragi Keima
2016 Female Favorite: Isla
2016 Male Favorite: Katsuragi Keima
Wish: Still want even more professional quality Vocaloid events in the U.S.
Cards: Keima's Cards

Postby Momento10 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:06 am

@Keima
Spoiler for About your question:
I do not recall clearly; however, I do believe during the scene where Shouya was blamed for bullying, at one point, his mom went to the bank to take out money to pay for the broken/missing hearing aids that Shouya either damaged or threw away. She and Shoko's mom met at the park, where she was giving her the money and apologizing. At one point, Shouya's mom tried to get Shouya out of the car to apologize, but Shoko's mom stopped her and instead asked if they could go somewhere else, presumably where Shouya cannot hear or see the next conversation to come. If you noticed closely, during that scene, Shoko's mom was wearing earrings. The scene where she was in a silhouette with a bleeding ear was what happened after that scene. It is implied that Shoko's mom ripped the earring off of Shouya's mom's ear, in a similar effect to what Shouya has been doing to Shoko during the bullying mess, causing the ear to bleed. This was most likely the straw that broke the camel's back for Shouya. Now that he even got his mother hurt in the mess he created, he tried to work his way back to paying his mother for the things that he had done, which I believe was in the very beginning of the movie during his own suicide attempt when he handed her the money while she was in bed.
Momento10
Titan
Titan

Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2016 Female Favorite: Tedeza Rize
2016 Male Favorite: Kraft Lawrence
Wish: ISML - A new face for the champion.
KBM - to revive
AST - to encourage international participation
IRL - My definition of peace and tranquility.
Cards: Momento10's Cards

Postby Loyu » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:35 pm

I believe you're right @Momento10.

I kinda have a question, I loved the movie. Do you think that buying the manga is a good idea ?
Loyu
Ninja cadet
Ninja cadet

2017 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2017 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
Wish: I wish I could have a family. .-.
Cards:

Return to General Anime