International Saimoe League Forums


Discussion forum for all ISML matters

Instructions about STV

For topics that last throughout the whole season

Instructions about STV

Postby maglor » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:10 pm

ISML will be using Single Transferrable voting to select the four characters among eight 5th place finishers to advance from Emerald to Ruby.

The following video best describes what will happen



As a voter, what you are doing is no different from what you are doing for the necklace : You simply rank the characters by order of your preference. Please use 1 for the most favored, 2 for the next most favored, and so forth. You need not rank everyone, but in STV, not ranking more than 1 will GREATLY diminish the influence you can have on overall results.

The difference comes in when I count the ballots. I first count the number of eligible votes and determine the quota needed for someone to win. If there is anyone who has more votes than the quota, he is considered to be ONE OF THE WINNERS, and then his votes are now REDISTRIBUTED to the next most preferred characters at the fractional value equal to (votes over the quota)/quota . If no one has reached the quota, the character with least votes are eliminated, using the tie-breaker rule identical to the necklace, and the votes gets redistributed to the next most preferred character. After a character is elected or eliminated, new quota is calculated, and then votes are counted and matched against the quota until we have desired number of winners.

Please feel free to ask about this Wildcard system.
Image
User avatar
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
 
Posts: 8044
Joined: 26 Feb 2009
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2016 Female Favorite: Miyamori Aoi
2016 Male Favorite: Korosensei
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.
Cards: maglor's Cards

Re: Instructions about STV

Postby Toady » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:21 am

It looks like an interesting system. The video seems to claim it's the fairest and I fail to understand why, as the quota and how the votes are redistributed look a bit subjective to me. But maybe there is a (mathematical?) reason why this method is strictly better than any other. I mean, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use Quota = (#votes)/(#number of places + N), where N could be 0 or 2 or 1.5 or sqrt(2)... instead of 1.

Also, is the method you describe exactly the same as in the video. Because you say a new quota is calculated at each step, but they apparently keep the same quota in all the video.
Image
#Drunkard4Ever #ThanksKiwi

Spoiler for Much stuff (but Chibaka has more):
Hikarin <3

Image
Image
Thank you Secret Santa :3
User avatar
Toady
[School Idol Producer]
[School Idol Producer]
 
Posts: 1631
Joined: 8 Sep 2009
Location: Switzerland
Badges:
Image
Worships: Tsuruya-san
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Female Favorite: Nakano Azusa
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2016 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2016 Male Favorite: Kaiki Deishū
Wish: A wedding for Nico & Maki
Cards: Toady's Cards

Re: Instructions about STV

Postby maglor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:53 pm

Toady wrote:It looks like an interesting system. The video seems to claim it's the fairest and I fail to understand why, as the quota and how the votes are redistributed look a bit subjective to me. But maybe there is a (mathematical?) reason why this method is strictly better than any other. I mean, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use Quota = (#votes)/(#number of places + N), where N could be 0 or 2 or 1.5 or sqrt(2)... instead of 1.

Also, is the method you describe exactly the same as in the video. Because you say a new quota is calculated at each step, but they apparently keep the same quota in all the video.


The video failed to show that different quota needs to be calculated, because some voters rank only some of the contestants, not all.

N = 0 has been used in some places, and is called Hare Quota : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hare_quota

N= 1 is usually used because it is impossible for more than the (#number of places) contestants to have (#votes)/(#number of places + 1) + 1 votes. It also maximizes the opportunity voter's will can be expressed in the election. This is called Droop quota, and I decided it is more appropriate for our case : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droop_quota
Image
User avatar
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
 
Posts: 8044
Joined: 26 Feb 2009
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2016 Female Favorite: Miyamori Aoi
2016 Male Favorite: Korosensei
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.
Cards: maglor's Cards

Re: Instructions about STV

Postby progheal » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:59 am

maglor wrote:ISML will be using Single Transferrable voting to select the two characters among ten 5th place finishers to advance from Sapphire to Emerald, and four characters among the eight 5th place finishers to advance from Emerald to Ruby.

Um, I thought Emerald will have 48 contestants, which means we need to select 8 out of 10 wildcards of Sapphire, not 2.
User avatar
progheal
Pokémon trainer
Pokémon trainer
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 10 Mar 2011
Worships: Fujisaki Chihiro
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Female Favorite: Suzumiya Haruhi
2017 Male Favorite: Naegi Makoto
2016 Female Favorite: Suzumiya Haruhi
2016 Male Favorite: Shirogane Kei (Shiroe)
Cards:

Re: Instructions about STV

Postby maglor » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:40 am

progheal wrote:
maglor wrote:ISML will be using Single Transferrable voting to select the two characters among ten 5th place finishers to advance from Sapphire to Emerald, and four characters among the eight 5th place finishers to advance from Emerald to Ruby.

Um, I thought Emerald will have 48 contestants, which means we need to select 8 out of 10 wildcards of Sapphire, not 2.


Yes. The error has been corrected. Sapphire to Emerald will be done using Range voting, which is just people giving each characters points according to how much they like them, and the result will be determined by simple sum of the points character receives. Emerald to Ruby will still be done using the STV described above.
Image
User avatar
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
 
Posts: 8044
Joined: 26 Feb 2009
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2016 Female Favorite: Miyamori Aoi
2016 Male Favorite: Korosensei
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.
Cards: maglor's Cards

Re: Instructions about STV

Postby IGNITE » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:50 am

Are you guys experienmenting all sorts of ideas using the wildcard matches to find a new necklace voting method?
"I'm not gonna die, I've got a cat that's waiting for me at home."
IGNITE
Crimson lord
Crimson lord
 
Posts: 339
Joined: 14 Mar 2016
Worships: Air
Melon Pan: 268
Cards: IGNITE's Cards

Re: Instructions about STV

Postby maglor » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:54 am

IGNITE wrote:Are you guys experienmenting all sorts of ideas using the wildcard matches to find a new necklace voting method?


Experimenting? Yes. What for? Data is Life.
Image
User avatar
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
 
Posts: 8044
Joined: 26 Feb 2009
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2016 Female Favorite: Miyamori Aoi
2016 Male Favorite: Korosensei
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.
Cards: maglor's Cards


Return to All Season

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests