International Saimoe League Forums

Discussion forum for all ISML matters

[DISCUSSION] Space Opera Talk

Presenting ISML as a dramatic galactic war...

Re: [DISCUSSION] Space Opera Talk

Postby Reverend » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:30 am

Momento10 wrote:@Reverend: I don't think so, because that name is already established by the first episode.

hmm good
(because it means I can use Kingdom of Elkia :bigsmile: and I can also keep some names)
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~

Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 4
Cards: Reverend's Cards

Postby Reverend » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:58 pm

New excel sheets - I renewed the version
Space Opera 2015 Database
updates done:
- coloring most factions.
- named most series
- done notes for the banner for most series

things will be done this afternoon after I finish my finals and Jibril character profiles and preview for Sunday:
- finish naming the males and series
- collecting pics for banners

things to do tonight once I finished studying for the last finals tomorrow:
- collecting pics for banners
- finalizing factions
- finishing the story for prelims

things to do on Saturday:
- posting the story for prelims
- making the banners if it has not been done

things to do this Sunday:
- Posting the Space Opera Faction Page for this year.
- Creating uncreated faction thread.

amen to me not getting sick.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~

Badges:
ImageImage

Postby Momento10 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:13 am

Edit the title of the page once you have the time.
Momento10
Titan
Titan

Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2016 Female Favorite: Tedeza Rize
2016 Male Favorite: Kraft Lawrence
Wish: ISML - A new face for the champion.
KBM - to revive
AST - to encourage international participation
IRL - My definition of peace and tranquility.
Cards: Momento10's Cards

Postby Reverend » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:21 am

it will be edited once the males are out....
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~

Badges:
ImageImage

Postby Momento10 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:09 am

Take your time. I recently found work that is running me time the ground so far (I enjoy this field, of course), but I'll make sure to get the remaining banners done sometime Sunday.
Momento10
Titan
Titan

Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2016 Female Favorite: Tedeza Rize
2016 Male Favorite: Kraft Lawrence
Wish: ISML - A new face for the champion.
KBM - to revive
AST - to encourage international participation
IRL - My definition of peace and tranquility.
Cards: Momento10's Cards

Postby Reverend » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:44 pm

Momento10 wrote:Take your time. I recently found work that is running me time the ground so far (I enjoy this field, of course), but I'll make sure to get the remaining banners done sometime Sunday.

Just realized my reply for this has not been posted yet....

Okay, take it slow, as well...
after all, you have a job
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~

Badges:
ImageImage

Postby Kiwigiwi » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:52 am

I really like the name of the titles you gave to the males! Good job!
Kiwi's mixtape
Spoiler:
♫ Much love to my secret santa ♥
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]

Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Grouchy Mcgrouch
Melon Pan: 81
2017 Female Favorite: Kirigiri Kyōko
2017 Male Favorite: Heiwajima Shizuo
Wish: 恭喜中國
Cards: Kiwigiwi's Cards

Postby Reverend » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:02 am

Kurogarasu wrote:I really like the name of the titles you gave to the males! Good job!

Thank you. :bigsmile:
Confession: Momento done a lot of job on that. (I should have mentioned that.)
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~

Badges:
ImageImage

Postby Reverend » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:37 am

Mid march, time to talk about this again.

What happened last year?
1. I ran out of words to express my idea.
2. I lost all of my isml-related data when my old lappie got broken.
3. Real life condition tired me up and I lost interest.
Blame me and my lack of professionalism.
fuck you college

Here was the overall idea for last year:
- while the war (RS) continues, Kurisu continues her research on that new space hole.
- meanwhile, on another side of the galaxy, Kyon & Okabe continue their own research. (Fortunate we have a dimensional traveler, Kyon, in the contestant list.)
- Post season starts, whoever knocks out these three characters take possession of the research and monopolizes it. (And if they don't make it to ps, we could just say the world kicks them out.)
- The rest is improvisation. Won't be hard since:
- in the end, the winner of tiara brings peace to female division, the male winner claim the scepter, and then Mikoto & Kanade show up like some angel emmisary and help fills the hole Kurisu-tachi haven't fill in their research and connect the two parts of space.

Next part of this post coming up in the next 3 hours or so, and it'll be about the future of this space opera, particularly about how to cope with the change of format in the competition.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~

Badges:
ImageImage

Postby Reverend » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:21 am

So, as you guys know it, this year ISML will bring upon great changes that effectively end a league as we know.

Now, I can assure you that whatever format this tournament may take, it won't do more other than increasing the amount of work that needs to be done (which is completely my own task and problem.) Even with Nova and Stella burned and melt into one big house, the war can remain as it is.
The only problem that it may bring is that politic stories become harder to make, because: once you lost, you're out. Means it can't drag out (like your typical politic stories.) Meanwhile, war stories become easier to make, since... once you lost, you're out, which means I have no need to think of a way to bring back a side that lost previously. Once you died, you're dead til the next war.

But the big problems of this space opera remain: it's space opera, which means it requires lots of imagination (which is number one reason why it stuck last year) and it's a depiction of live result, which means I have such a short time pulling reports on everything. ithekro did pretty great job over the years and blaZ tried his best of doing the same and burnt out fast in the middle of everything (well, not as fast as I was.) And with the amount of contestant increases, broader knowledge of the anime world is even more requires and, tbh, I'm just a noob here. Unless we find more writers, this is going to stay hellish.
But here comes problem number one: this is a space opera. Many times have the writers over the years wondered if the main cause of why extra writer is difficult to get is because the genre isn't that familiar in today's anime. (what was the latest space opera in anime, huh? Space Battleship Yamato? Mouretsu Pirates (which doesn't taste as a space opera as much as it taste like cute girls doing whatever)? or the latest Macross (which is more of a space mecha + idol than space opera)? )

This change in competition format in real life gives us a chance to reassess the situation and decide:
should we keep the space opera as it is? should we restart the whole story to make things easier in the future? or should we call it off and change the theme into something else?

Spoiler for ps:
ps.:I already know how to continue the story should we decide to continue it. Lots of my program from last year hasn't been implemented (including the arrival of a certain "reporter from the world of illusion" to work on the news agency.) so there's still things that can be done.
Meanwhile, I also already have a few candidate in place of the old space opera, from fantasy war (that isn't sci-fi) to your standard magic academy battle.
I just throw this post in seek of opinions to hopefully make this section of the forum better.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~

Badges:
ImageImage

Postby blaZofgold » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:10 pm

One of the biggest reasons I burned out was because I started having to spend upwards of 5 minutes per article looking up new sci-fi terms that I hadn't already used in the paragraph above. I'm definitely more at home with a fantasy/warring kingdoms setting.

ISML SO started when Space Opera was making the most of its impacts (2009). As much as I'd like to carry on that legacy, I actually haven't watched a single space opera anime. And with the fresh new tournament setup, it might be a good time to start a new thing and say farewell to the space opera of old.
ImageImage
Thanks to Grish & Kiwi for the sigs~!
blaZofgold
Shinigami
Shinigami

Badges:
Worships: God, the real one
Melon Pan: 50
2016 Female Favorite: Shiodome Miuna
2016 Male Favorite: Producer (Cinderella Girls)
Wish: Murphy's Law not to be always true
Cards: blaZofgold's Cards

Postby Reverend » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:18 pm

blaZofgold wrote:I'm definitely more at home with a fantasy/warring kingdoms setting.

Well, I am more into simplifying the whole stuff, actually.
- should we continue the story, I could try to change the whole war theme into a mere "competition between the factions" like it was some war arts x sport.
- should we don't continue it, your standard "shitty magic academy battle" is surely to be interesting. :P
Since I think, the simpler it is, the easier it is to pull the story out, and since we're pretty lacking in writers and in time, such linear story-line is more feasible to do.
(yeah, I follow the industry example. When you made something from shit idea (which is next to nothing,) that's what I call surviving. Plus, actually I'd like to do a little test to myself, see if I can pull any better than those shitty so-called "pro" writers in this pretty generic setting.)

Fantasy war setting is interesting, that's why I don't scratch out the idea yet, but it's essentially the same as space opera, since it will still involve lots of politic, war tactics, and battle-setting drama.

blaZofgold wrote:One of the biggest reasons I burned out was because I started having to spend upwards of 5 minutes per article looking up new sci-fi terms that I hadn't already used in the paragraph above.

Whoa... really? Sci-fi terms isn't that hard to make, ,=you know? since there are lots of sites that can randomly generate some terms for you. What is difficult is making sure the logic you use behind those terms is right.
Spoiler:
(which is the reason I burned out, I was doing a battle-scene between Azunyan and Yurippe and when I finished it and read it again, I realized something was wrong in how the battle enveloped (particularly in the background science of the tools these girls use on their ship) and ended up studying and correcting it and studying and correcting it and it ended up getting so long and too dragged out I can basically publish what I had as a separate thread ._.. but what's more sad is that the file was also lost when my old lappie got broke.)

Fortunately, the same problem I mentioned above in the spoiler won't happen in a fantasy setting. (Which is also another reason why I haven't scratch out the genre, because it's still an improvement.)

blaZofgold wrote:ISML SO started when Space Opera was making the most of its impacts (2009). As much as I'd like to carry on that legacy, I actually haven't watched a single space opera anime. And with the fresh new tournament setup, it might be a good time to start a new thing and say farewell to the space opera of old.

Oh yeah, Battlestar Galactica ended, was it?
I think ithekro said it somewhere, wasn't really aware of the show's fame, tbh. My experience on Space Opera were mostly Star Wars & Dune. I tried to catch up the anime ones (like Legend of Galactic Heroes & Harlock,) but haven't got far due to swinging mood. Well, at least I finished up Maglor's waifu.

But you know, making new ones isn't a light task, as well.
Although we can use the old banners and few of the old names, we cannot use lots of the old factions and names.
and actually, the whole political balance would see a revamp it'll be no longer KyoAni vs JC,
Spoiler:
with KyoAni adopting "the true artist" policy and mostly stay away from already-big franchise (I think the most famous novel they adapted recently is Amagi, soon to be eclipsed by the upcoming Koe no Katachi movie (which probably is KyoAni first "already-famous before" anime since CLANNAD.))
while JC... yeah, you know JC. They haven't change. It's always 10-20-30 % famous anime and the rest are either shit or not famous (or both.)
Big players these days... are studios with big commercial money behind them (Sony's Aniplex, IG Port, Bandai Namco's Sunrise, what else?) and newer-but-promising studios (like ufotable and their cutting-edge 3DCG or Studio Feel and their consistently improving 2D animation.)

Fortunately we still have SHAFT (whose marketing skill is so poor they basically can never do absolute capitalism on their production, thus keeping anime "as pure as it can") and Dogakobo (which basically is DEEN but with much better visual (they are always consistent in their story telling and visual level, Dogakobo anime.)) To a certain extend, we also have Lerche and their eccentric sense of art. :P

The need to bring these new players to a more central spot becomes bigger and all the plans I already had for them was still not enough.
More thinking is definitely needed, whatever the call is.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~

Badges:
ImageImage

Postby blaZofgold » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:38 pm

Reverend wrote:(yeah, I follow the industry example. When you made something from shit idea (which is next to nothing,) that's what I call surviving. Plus, actually I'd like to do a little test to myself, see if I can pull any better than those shitty so-called "pro" writers in this pretty generic setting.)

Not to discount professional writers, but anyone who can write could prooobably write a magic academy battle story. The template and all its variations are completely copy and paste. It's really that easy.

If we're going to stick with Space Opera...there's going to be a lot of weird baggage we'd be hauling around. As much as I'd like to keep SO around since the beginning of ISML, we'll have to do some real work to haul it over. It was already difficult in 2014 when I had to write the separation of Nova and Stella into the storyline, and I know you struggled with adding the Male tournament in cohesively. Now think of this overhaul, can we really make it work without basically redoing/retconning the entire thing?

Magic Academy is pretty generic and I guess it could be fun, it's fantasy enough that we can make stuff up and have it be legit.
Since we're the only writers on staff as of now, feel free to talk to me personally (PM and stuff) if you need to bounce ideas quickly.

Also, the one thing that would make this section of the forum alive again? Artists. The icons that ithekro had to work with made it a lot more interesting. Imagine if we had legit art to go with the stories/factions/stuff we're writing...so yeah it would be great if we could get some artists in here *ahem*
ImageImage
Thanks to Grish & Kiwi for the sigs~!
blaZofgold
Shinigami
Shinigami

Badges:
Worships: God, the real one
Melon Pan: 50
2016 Female Favorite: Shiodome Miuna
2016 Male Favorite: Producer (Cinderella Girls)
Wish: Murphy's Law not to be always true
Cards: blaZofgold's Cards

Postby Reverend » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:04 am

blaZofgold wrote:and I know you struggled with adding the Male tournament in cohesively.

Well, biggest problem about male is that I'm not into male moe ^^;

blaZofgold wrote:Since we're the only writers on staff as of now, feel free to talk to me personally (PM and stuff) if you need to bounce ideas quickly.

speaking of this, actually BugH said he was interested in taking care the JC faction. My bad for not following up :(

blaZofgold wrote:Also, the one thing that would make this section of the forum alive again? Artists.

now this... will be difficult :(
Need to figure this out. (Guess I need a story first.)
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~

Badges:
ImageImage

Previous

Return to Space Opera