ISML Rules and Guidelines - FAQ
International Saimoe League is governed by a Constitution
by Annual Charters
. Please read both documents for a full understanding of
our processes, but if you are short on time, the highlights are summarized in a brief, convenient FAQ below.
Last updated: 25 February 2014
[ Show/Hide Tournament Flowchart ]
What is ISML and how do I participate?
- ISML hopes to find the most moe among anime girls, and it's up to you to decide by casting your vote!
- Voting is free of charge; you are not required to register an account.
- Join the forum to discuss ISML with fellow fans. Subscribe to the news blog for tournament updates.
- Your participation means that you agree to our rules and policies.
What is the schedule of 2014?
- The calendar at right highlights all the scheduled match days.
- Matches start at 1500 GMT on the scheduled day and last for 24 hours.
- Results will be released 12 hours after a match ends.
- The schedule is tenative and may change in the future, but we'll keep you updated on the news blog.
Where do I vote?
How do Preliminaries work?
- Stella has only one Phase. Nova has three Phases.
- Phase I is a series of free-for-all matches where you select 2 girls (Candidates) per group.
- In Stella Phase I, girls advance to Regular Season by winning Rounds 2, 3, or 4.
- In Nova Phase I, girls advance to Regular Season by winning Round 4, but nobody is eliminated yet.
- Candidates are sorted into 8 groups of 9 in Phase II. Each group has a round-robin tournament where
each Candidate battles the other 8 in four 1-vs-1-vs-1 matches.
- Points are earned for winning matches. The winner of each group at the end of Phase II enters the Regular Season.
- Phase III is a series of single-elimination matches (groups of 4).
After two rounds, the final 16 Regular Season Contestants in each Division are decided; the rest go home.
[ Show/Hide older FAQ entries ]
How should I format my nominations?
- Any language is acceptable, but we highly prefer you write them in romaji (English).
- Name order does not matter. "Katsura Hinagiku" is the same as "Hinagiku Katsura."
- Please give the full name and series of the character, so we know exactly who you're nominating.
- You do not have to use macrons over the vowels (e.g. ō and ū); "ou" and "uu" are sufficient.
Are nominations important?
- Yes! Extremely! Who you nominate at the beginning of the year will be the ones competing throughout the year for the
Tiara. No characters will be added to the tournament in the middle of the year.
- If you want to see new faces in ISML, please send in your nominations and let all your friends and contacts know.
- After the girls pass nominations, you will have to vote for them during prelims so they make it to the regular season.