ISML 2017: A Success?

Create a poll for the Community to answer! The Staff may use this forum, too, to get your opinion on new ISML ideas.

How was your overall experience with ISML 2017?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:08 am

Excellent. No worries.
13%
Great. Little nitpicking of minor issues.
50%
Satisfactory Some problems here and there.
38%
Poor. Multiple things can be adjusted.
No votes
Unsatisfactory. Needs another makeover.
No votes

Total votes: 8
Momento10
Titan
Titan
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2016 Female Favorite: Tedeza Rize
2016 Male Favorite: Kraft Lawrence
Wish: ISML - A new face for the champion.
KBM - to revive
AST - to encourage international participation
IRL - My definition of peace and tranquility.

ISML 2017: A Success?

Post by Momento10 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:08 am

I thought we were going to have a survey about this soon, but I guess I'll make one just in case. Now that the chaos has died down, was ISML 2017 successful in following its goals to find the most more/bishie girl/guy in the fairest way possible? With ISML using their mix of elimination/round robin style from 2016, making Aquamarine (and to an extent, Topaz) a glorified preliminary season, and spanning over 8-9 months, did ISML fulfill its purpose in finding the most moe/bishie character of all generations? Do you think ISML should continue with this format with various modifications or scrape it entirely and try something new again? Did you enjoy your time here in ISML and what do you believe can be done to make it even better, such as making the captcha calculus problems or having maglor and Kholdy do live commentary on a particular featured match? Tell me whether or not Hinagiku fans still remember that ISML exists or if Asuna and Mashiro fans will continue to ravage the next two years with faction domination until Mikoto zaps them to oblivion come 2020 in the posts below.
Toady
[School Idol Producer]
[School Idol Producer]
Badges:
Worships: Tsuruya-san
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Female Favorite: Nakano Azusa
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2016 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2016 Male Favorite: Kaiki Deishū
Wish: A wedding for Nico & Maki

Re: ISML 2017: A Success?

Post by Toady » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:25 am

Globally, it was great. Not the result, but hey, that's another issue :P

The new format is really interesting, as it allows the strong characters to play more matches than the weak ones, which can be significantly better as seeing them fight for not being in last place like in 2015, but with more interesting round-robin parts than in 2016, mainly because there are more characters per group.
A few problems is that it makes the Aquamarine period terribly long (Aquamarine 20, really?). I would totally encourage to reduce the total number of contestants OR the number of matches played in Aquamarine, and maybe Topaz too. But I understand it would be sad for a contestant to be eliminated after 3 matches only, so I guess starting with 100/96 contestants might be better. Also easier to make the profiles, etc.

This year was also a year with many MVs and huge fights between strong Chinese factions. What I find sad is that these factions only wake up during the last part of the tournament, so the results become very confusing. It's nice to have upsets or the tournament would be boring (the Male side was quite boring outside the Necklace Matches, Archer being kicked out in Diamond and a few other things), but when results become erratic, everyone is suspicious of cheating and the large number of MVs just make it worse.

Next year, Hina-chan will get the tiara. Ok, no. I guess Asuna faction will be back next year. I wonder how well Rem will do, maybe she needs boost from a season 2 (or better, an anime adaptation of the Rem spin-off story). I think it will be quite similar to this year, with maybe Chtholly coming to steal the spotlight and Eromanga-sensei may be a surprise.
My Secret Santa is awesome :3
Much stuff (but Chibaka has more)Show
#Drunkard4Ever #ThanksKiwi

Hikarin <3
Thank you Secret Santa 2016 :3
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:49 pm

"Some problems here and there" isn't exactly something I would call "satisfactory".
- Unclear and too complicated stages of the tournament (people who didn't follow the tournament closely match day per match day will only know the name of the period,)
- Unclear divisions of characters in the middle periods (who got to face who on what period,)
- and actually, forcing characters on a certain period, rendering them unable to get the necklace "they" want, was already pretty... disappointing, especially for the necklace hunters.

Maybe the only good thing I can mention from this new model is that it fulfills ISML mission of increasing exposure of anime media substantially, as there were way more characters involved and the (slightly) more relevancy those characters had bcs of the smaller groups. (although its true effect to those anime's... "exposure", remains unknown, since we have no clear parameters nor the means to judge that.)

Next year, huh?
SpoilerShow
- KyoAni faction possibly will have a new queen (Kanna Kamui, since imo Koe no Katachi is too mainstream to ever done well on this kind of contest.) If this happens, it would boost all other KyoAni characters to a certain degree, but the spotlight would still be on our thicc blue eyes white dragon.

- There's no guarantee that those set of fans from bilibili who's been pushing Asuna to the height of power (either fairly or not) will be here again, next year. Same we can say to the rest of the contestants who got a boost after the bilibili flood. Should they leave, we should see something more akin to Aquamarine this year (Asuna powerful but not that powerful, and Fate will have a say again.)

- I think Rem and Emilia will keep their power. It will not increase, per se, but it will not decrease, either. Re:Zero were already strong even before the flood.

- Mashiro... I don't need to mention you guys, right? You guys will be voting here until the end of times, anyway (or, until Mashiro wins it.)

- Chtholly's power in ISML and Saimoe in overall remains to be seen, as we don't know how many of her devoted fans from bilibili will return to vote for her here. Fun how the lack of hype and sales of SukaSuka doesn't translate to Saimoe result. But, at the same time, frustrating.

- If Eromanga gets big, it could spell the end for OreImo characters (not immediately, ofc.)
A similar case to what happened to CLANNAD characters after AB! fully took over its position. They just... got old and then be gone.

- I am very interested in how other Saekano characters will perform after Katou is gone.
Past history of similar cases suggested that those characters will slowly drop, and then at some point they will get a sudden big drop and drown under other characters, and they might not even make it on the next year (I mean, in this case, 2019.)
But I do wish we could have an anomaly once in a while.

- Anyone I missed? Erm I don't think Youjitsu and Gamers will be able to go far enough, although Youjitsu surprisingly possesses quite the tenacity. (Man, do you guys really think that shit is good? ^^;) ImoSae... I'll be very happy if the studio can sell enough BDs to hit BEP. Blend-S... it would be a pleasant surprise if somehow they prove strong enough next year (I don't think so, though.)

- Finally: As long as I can nominate Yumemi, I'm fine.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Chibasa
[You can (not) Zura]
[You can (not) Zura]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Yamada Naoko
Melon Pan: 120
2017 Female Favorite: Kasumigaoka Utaha
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
2016 Female Favorite: Tokisaki Kurumi
2016 Male Favorite: Kyon
Wish: Not disappointing the ones I love.
Successful ISML 2017. Humans living in harmony.

Post by Chibasa » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Reverend wrote:- Unclear divisions of characters in the middle periods (who got to face who on what period,)
I don't understand what you mean?
- and actually, forcing characters on a certain period, rendering them unable to get the necklace "they" want, was already pretty... disappointing, especially for the necklace hunters.
This one either (except if you talk about 2016? )
- I am very interested in how other Saekano characters will perform after Katou is gone.
Past history of similar cases suggested that those characters will slowly drop, and then at some point they will get a sudden big drop and drown under other characters, and they might not even make it on the next year (I mean, in this case, 2019.)
That was true until... Ayase got Diamond Circlet in 2015 (two years after Kuroneko Tiara) and reached PS again in 2016.

I do believe Utaha and Eriri may have hard times, maybe leaving us in Emerald/Ruby next year.
Secret Santax Time
much more stuff than ToadyShow

ImageImageImageImageImage
Hikarin is the best
After facing the rain, you'll become an even cuter rainbow !Keep believe in yourself. <3
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:24 am

Chibasa wrote:
Reverend wrote:- Unclear divisions of characters in the middle periods (who got to face who on what period,)
I don't understand what you mean?
This one either (except if you talk about 2016? )
... lol yeah I messed up. Gomen. I'll edit that later (plus there are points I'd like to add, too.)
But there's still some complain about how people didn't really know how far the competition had progressed before the Round of 16th.
Chibasa wrote:
That was true until... Ayase got Diamond Circlet in 2015 (two years after Kuroneko Tiara) and reached PS again in 2016.

I do believe Utaha and Eriri may have hard times, maybe leaving us in Emerald/Ruby next year.
Just Ayase.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Chibasa
[You can (not) Zura]
[You can (not) Zura]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Yamada Naoko
Melon Pan: 120
2017 Female Favorite: Kasumigaoka Utaha
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
2016 Female Favorite: Tokisaki Kurumi
2016 Male Favorite: Kyon
Wish: Not disappointing the ones I love.
Successful ISML 2017. Humans living in harmony.

Post by Chibasa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:51 am

Reverend wrote:
Chibasa wrote:

Just Ayase.
Shana 2016 didn't really left anyone behind.
Eru 2015 was already alone to represent Hyouka.
Kotori 2014 seems not affected much DAL. Kurumi still doing her 2nd/3rd in necklace and reach top 16 in 2016/2017. She never really did better before. Others fell however. (Yoshino bit comeback this year)
Kuroneko 2013 get the Ayase biggest exception and Kirino fell, aside.
Didn't check before but I do believe it's pretty accurate for AB! and To Aru at least.

So It's bit hard to say that the trend is real nowadays. We're closer to get 'only one' surviving. (Fact Azunyan is still decent and WAY above others K-on! also going this way)
Secret Santax Time
much more stuff than ToadyShow

ImageImageImageImageImage
Hikarin is the best
After facing the rain, you'll become an even cuter rainbow !Keep believe in yourself. <3
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:11 am

Chibasa wrote:
Reverend wrote:
Chibasa wrote:

Just Ayase.
Shana 2016 didn't really left anyone behind.
Eru 2015 was already alone to represent Hyouka.
Kotori 2014 seems not affected much DAL. Kurumi still doing her 2nd/3rd in necklace and reach top 16 in 2016/2017. She never really did better before. Others fell however. (Yoshino bit comeback this year)
Kuroneko 2013 get the Ayase biggest exception and Kirino fell, aside.
Didn't check before but I do believe it's pretty accurate for AB! and To Aru at least.

So It's bit hard to say that the trend is real nowadays. We're closer to get 'only one' surviving. (Fact Azunyan is still decent and WAY above others K-on! also going this way)
- Azu-nyan is one case. But even she suffers from losing Mio to ToC. (I'd like to say that Azu-nyan had her own fanbase aside from K-On! fans, as well.)
- Kurumi is a separate entity in DAL fanbase. (You can ask the DAL hardcores who vote here and they will say that Kurumi's fanbase... is a group of their own.) They don't support each other even when needed.
- I think Ayase is the only anomaly (after Azu-nyan) here, but even that is doubtful, since, as much as I know, the guys who voted for Ayase was the same guys who voted for KYH and Mio. (The one I often call "the long black hair faction" <-- I don't know what to call them lol.) Her result next year should be something interesting to follow, as well.
- AB! is gone so quick, the other Toaru characters were never that powerful in the first place, nobody watch Hayate no Gotoku these days, and not many people who still follow Nanoha franchise still vote here.

The possible anomalies here all had their own specific polar fanbase. Which kinda shows that they had to feed for themselves once the series main support was gone. (and in Kurumi's case, she had always feed herself lol.)
In Saekano's case, we can say that even after the series ended, it still has solid worshippers (the majority settled with the ending, unlike Nisekoi.) How big of a degree is Saekano series support, and how long will this last, we do not know, and actually: that's what I'd like to know.
Brean2010
Dango daikazoku
Dango daikazoku
Badges:
Worships: Ougi Oshino
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Female Favorite: Rem
2017 Male Favorite: Emiya Kiritsugu
Wish: ISML improves its vote system.

Post by Brean2010 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:02 pm

So, I just noticed the thread, but it's time to give my opinion about this year and my expectations for next year. I also point the fact that is my first complete ISML and thus it will be an opinion without distance about past year's events and therefore it will be my first feeling about ISML.

First of all, it's not directly related to ISML but like as say Reverend, I think "Satisfactory" is not the best term to describe the mid choice, I would rather have used a term like "Mixed".

Now, I will focus on points that, I think, could be improved or that have a problem. (If I don't talk about something, it's because it's good for me).

To follow some opinions, I feel that ISML is too long, It's my first ISML and I feel that Necklaces were interminable, at some moment of the contest I had stopped to vote because the contest bored me because each round gave almost the same results during several months and the only thing that made me come back to ISML more assiduously was to be "hired" by the Chinese community of Rem to help them. So, I can think that ISML is too long to get involved a lot of people during several months and could be explained why only the eliminations have managed to get people to vote.

Also, I agree the fact that some rules lack of clarity and should be simpler or more explained in the "Rules and Guidelines", especially the consolations and the system to choose contestants and make the matchups for the eliminations.

Besides, I think, after several discussions with staff members like maglor, I think that some points can be improved to fight fake voters but I won't go into detail here.

Another thing, I have not very liked the current system of consolations because of two main reasons. The first is the fact that consolations take place in same times as main matches and finally is more the voters interested by main matches and so the communities of the remaining contestants than communities of losers that vote for consolations and it break the accuracy of the ranking I think. The second is the calculus method of the consolations ranking, I think a mix of performances during necklace and consolations is not very fair. It could be more relevant if the consolations would be made by direct eliminations and not allowing characters out of the round of 16 to participate.

Moreover, a thing that could be changed, I think it's the admission in the round of 16, for me a character with a necklace should be automatically qualified in the round of 16. It will give more interest to necklaces than only avoid nominations phases of the next year (because, I think, the auto-nomination has just for effect to put the communities to sleep).

Now, I will talk about something that have a little altered my enjoyment about ISML. When I have started to work with the Chinese community of Rem, I have seen the other side of the set. And seeing that most of the results are decided by community wars from a same country have a little disappointed me. I find regrettable that so much power is held by the communities in a single country (and I also count expatriates in the batch) but I know that is not really the fault of ISML.

Finally, I will talk about my expectations for the next year. I saw some people think that Re: Zero characters will still maintain their level next year, but I'm not so sure, because on the REM side (I have more knowledge about Rem community than Emilia) people have lost a part of their motivation and there is some fresh contestants for this year to eat some vats of Re: Zero even if, in my point of view, there haven't really been any characters that made it stand out this year. And without a second season, Re:Zero votes should be declining at least a little. I also think that the team Asuna/Mashiro will continue to ravage the next year with faction domination (even if some people hate me because of these words).
Co-administrator of the Facebook page: Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu / France aka Rem
A great thanks to my Secret Santa 2017 for having made me this beautiful signature. (Rem is very happy)