Poll: ISML 2011

Create a poll for the Community to answer! The Staff may use this forum, too, to get your opinion on new ISML ideas. Sponsored Events will also go here.

This year, do you feel overall, ISML was successful?

Yes
85%
No
5%
No comment
10%

Total votes: 40
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Re: Poll: ISML 2011

Post by Chocola » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Has anyone considered why we have intraseries exhibition matches? What if we don't want you to get statistics? It would make next year more predictable. Save the surprise. Exhibition matches are almost always thematic before data collection.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Team Rocket Elite
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Bernkastel
Wish: dried plums to go with the tea.

Post by Team Rocket Elite » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:09 am

KholdStare88 wrote:Has anyone considered why we have intraseries exhibition matches? What if we don't want you to get statistics? It would make next year more predictable. Save the surprise. Exhibition matches are almost always thematic before data collection.
I'm aware of that (since I think you've said it before). It's not really something I expect to change. It's just something I don't like.
A miracle that you believe in when you know it won't happen......... is hope.
loudmouth
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Wish: To go to heaven

Post by loudmouth » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:47 am

1.How Often do you visit ISML?
Every day
2.What do you like about ISML (general)
Round robin system, every character faces every other character at some point
3.What do you dislike about ISML (general)
Relatively few characters (not a huge complaint though)
4.What do you like about ISML (Forum)
Active, intelligent and mature members compared to some forums
5.What do you dislike about ISML (Forum)
More staff possibly? The main site staff has a huge workload and maybe having more specifically forum staff would help
7.If you can add,remove or, change one thing (on the Forum), what would it be?
more staff
7.If you can add,remove or, change one thing (in general), what would it be?
I was going to suggest an exhibition tournament for older characters that would never make it into ISML because no one remembers them, but realized that you already did it. So I'm done. =)
8.Are you happy with this year's results?
Yes.
9.Do you feel this year was overall successful?
Yes I do. It may not have had the percentage increase in number of voters that 2009 to 2010 did (which would be ridiculous if it actually happened) but there was still a considerable increase.
10.Are you likely to return for ISML 2012?
Absolutely
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Yakuman
Berserker
Berserker
Worships: Kurumi-sama *.*
Wish: more

Post by Yakuman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:51 am

Daily.

It's existence, basically :D Seriously, it runs almost all year long, providing a more or less heated battle between my favorite anime characters. It's also well organized, unlike the other moe-tournaments.

Single Elimination. And I dislike the results too, sometimes.

It's a friendly and active community. Forum interface is okay as well.

I know real life is a bitch, but a more consistent approach on the forum stuff (like cookie counts, art contest, etc) would be nice. I'm sure a ton of people would help if the staff is short on freetime. Me too.

6.If you can add,remove or, change one thing (on the Forum), what would it be?
Nothing comes to my mind.

Double Elimiation. And a comprehensive, automatically updated chart with every result of the actual season so far.

Could be better. One of my favorites won, but my Mio-tan came only 9th :tearsad: Also disappointed with Homura's early exit.

Yes, I do.

Definitely.
Hurry up and make a contract with me! ◕‿‿◕ ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
defeated but not forgotten favoritesShow
ImageImageImage
Materials used in the sig are courtesy of Marinara, ppizzapie, Hikari-chan and Annabloem
imbehindyou
Time traveler
Time traveler
Worships: Rena
Wish: Becoming Pokemon Master.  Wishes for: Becoming teh Master Hater.  Wishes for: James' Victreebel & Mime Jr. Secret Identity: I am a robot. 

Post by imbehindyou » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:01 am

Almost daily
Rage
Drama
Exhibition matches
Results
Smilies
Need better smilies!!!!!
7.If you can add,remove or, change one thing (on the Forum), what would it be?
Until last year I hated Double Elimination because it took up so much time but now that we've had Single Elimination this year I actually miss Double Elimination. It's rather unique.
No
Mostly
Yes
YagamiHayate
Combat butler
Combat butler
Badges:

Post by YagamiHayate » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:31 am

Varies depending on how busy I am.
I like that it goes on for most of the year.
SE, people who picture-vote or series-vote
I think it's fine as it is.
Darth Blitzer wrote:-Double Elimination
Yakuman wrote:Double Elimiation.
imbehindyou wrote:Until last year I hated Double Elimination because it took up so much time but now that we've had Single Elimination this year I actually miss Double Elimination. It's rather unique.
This. I would like to see a return to the double elimination format for postseason.
Prelim results were complete fail (Homura, Ika, LC, etc. all missing out), I'm glad Mikoto won it all though.
Yes
Definitely.
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Minakami Yuki; Takako X Runa; Mioda Ibuki; Toono Ren... It's a long-ass list.
Wish: To keep on taking it easy, and to keep my mind limber.

Post by Metaler » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:21 am

-Daily

-It's a good distraction, I guess.
-The team is really dedicated.

-Too many older characters.
-Newer characters are not given any chance to win.

-Excellent, very friendly community. Made a lot of good friends here.
-There's some good attachment between members and the staff, which in turn allows for easier communication between both groups.
-There are only a few active members.

-Discussions don't really have a lot of variety.

-Nothing. It's good enough.

-Allow newer characters to have a chance in the league by giving a limit to how many participations a single character may have, or to include more strict restrictions to nominations. For instance, characters from series that are more than 3 years old are not allowed to participate.
-Would be good if matches did not have such long intervals between them. That way the tournament would be a lot more fast-paced, and subsequently people wouldn't lose interest in it.
-Allow characters from games, manga, and VNs to participate, allowing for a wider variety of characters while limiting the the number of times a character can participate based on his/her age.
-Allow male characters, since moe is not limited to females.

-No.

-No.

-Might as well just stay in the forums.
"Care about people's approval and you will be their prisoner" ~Lao Tzu
HasbeenaHibiki
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
Worships: セニョール・ハズビーナ, ティエリア・アーデ, ダークライ,天ノ川 きらら,紅城 トワ
Melon Pan: 201
2019 Female Favorite: Platelet
2019 Male Favorite: Bakugō Katsuki
2018 Female Favorite: Kurumizawa Satanichia McDowell
2018 Male Favorite: Bakugō Katsuki
Wish: A precure making it in ISML and a very popular male Saimoe. Also a Mucha Lucha anime. Darkrai in Saimoe

Post by HasbeenaHibiki » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:09 am

-Daily

-Knowing how popular one girl is.
-The team is really dedicated.

-People voting who is more mainstream than moe and causing the result to be one sided
-Nothing. It's good enough.
-Have characters going against someone who has the same power as them so the results won't be that one sided
-No.

-No.

-Yes
YagamiHayate
Combat butler
Combat butler
Badges:

Post by YagamiHayate » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:34 am

Metaler wrote:-Allow newer characters to have a chance in the league by giving a limit to how many participations a single character may have, or to include more strict restrictions to nominations. For instance, characters from series that are more than 3 years old are not allowed to participate.
I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that this will never happen. The goal of ISML is to find the most 'moe' among all characters, not just recent ones. This is more the fault of voters in any case. I'd like to see characters from recent series do well also, but if they aren't able to beat characters from older series despite being fresher in the minds of voters, then they probably don't deserve to win. The ISML staff have tried to make the competition more interesting for those who are only interested in newer characters (new format next year means there will be 36 characters from series which aired in the last 2 years), but ultimately there's not much they can do if the voters insist on voting for older characters.
xcrossfacekillahx
Incubator
Incubator
Worships: Rosario Cross
Wish: A very good tournament and more cookies. Moehood to reign

Post by xcrossfacekillahx » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:21 am

Metaler wrote: -Allow newer characters to have a chance in the league by giving a limit to how many participations a single character may have, or to include more strict restrictions to nominations. For instance, characters from series that are more than 3 years old are not allowed to participate.
-Would be good if matches did not have such long intervals between them. That way the tournament would be a lot more fast-paced, and subsequently people wouldn't lose interest in it.
-Allow characters from games, manga, and VNs to participate, allowing for a wider variety of characters while limiting the the number of times a character can participate based on his/her age.
-Allow male characters, since moe is not limited to females.
- The new system will hopefully answer your problems. With the division of the veterans separated from the newcomers, the newcomers will have a chance to go at it.
- One of the proposals for next year is to stretch the calendar so that there is more time to do write ups. We'll have probably less regular season matches so it would work the other way around.
- It's anime only since their screentime would make the voters aware to recognize them.
- Male characters would only try their hardest to be moe just to lose to females.
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Minakami Yuki; Takako X Runa; Mioda Ibuki; Toono Ren... It's a long-ass list.

Post by Metaler » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:37 am

xcrossfacekillahx wrote: - The new system will hopefully answer your problems. With the division of the veterans separated from the newcomers, the newcomers will have a chance to go at it.
- One of the proposals for next year is to stretch the calendar so that there is more time to do write ups. We'll have probably less regular season matches so it would work the other way around.
- It's anime only since their screentime would make the voters aware to recognize them.
- Male characters would only try their hardest to be moe just to lose to females.
- I really, REALLY want to think the new system will address a lot of the issues with ISML today. But I'm still unsure about it's efficiency, since eventually newer characters will have to face the older ones, essentially nullifying the whole concept. In other words, even with the new system, I'm still afraid to see Shana/Mikoto/Taiga/Haruhi/Etc, mercilessly defeat newcomers.
- I still believe this will make people lose interest in the season as it progresses, but on the other side, the staff will have more time to work on the tournament's technicalities, especially the graphics team, who have so much work it's like the bourgesie oppressing the proletariat during 19th Century England.
- Good point.
- Well I'll admit people will favor females over males. I wish society was like that, but oh well.
YagamiHayate wrote:
Metaler wrote:-Allow newer characters to have a chance in the league by giving a limit to how many participations a single character may have, or to include more strict restrictions to nominations. For instance, characters from series that are more than 3 years old are not allowed to participate.
I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that this will never happen. The goal of ISML is to find the most 'moe' among all characters, not just recent ones. This is more the fault of voters in any case. I'd like to see characters from recent series do well also, but if they aren't able to beat characters from older series despite being fresher in the minds of voters, then they probably don't deserve to win. The ISML staff have tried to make the competition more interesting for those who are only interested in newer characters (new format next year means there will be 36 characters from series which aired in the last 2 years), but ultimately there's not much they can do if the voters insist on voting for older characters.
We can't change the voters. This is why changes to ISML's goal and concept should be changed if one wishes to see new characters shine amongst the old farts. Perhaps the new system to be implemented next year will change that, but, like I said previously, I have my doubts.
loudmouth
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Wish: To go to heaven

Post by loudmouth » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:51 am

Metaler wrote:
YagamiHayate wrote:
We can't change the voters. This is why changes to ISML's goal and concept should be changed if one wishes to see new characters shine amongst the old farts. Perhaps the new system to be implemented next year will change that, but, like I said previously, I have my doubts.
I don't know, Kanade and Ruri did pretty well for themselves this year. Mio won the whole thing last year. The strong newcomers make it, just like the strong old farts make it. No discrimination. It's unfortunate that some characters don't make it past prelims, but if they can't win in prelims how can they win in the regular season? Even the weakest characters in the regular season won their prelims :\
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:29 am

Metaler wrote:We can't change the voters. This is why changes to ISML's goal and concept should be changed if one wishes to see new characters shine amongst the old farts. Perhaps the new system to be implemented next year will change that, but, like I said previously, I have my doubts.
loudmouth's got a good point: strong newcomers can still deliver.

If you're talking about the part where veterans curbstomp 90% of the other newcomers though, yeah, that gets a little boring. But then, their strength is why they're veterans in the first place. ISML is unique since it doesn't try to favor any one group on their way to the Tiara; it lets the test of time do its thing. The format change next year doesn't change this, nor does it try to. It's only intended to make the regular season more fun by splitting the divisions initially, while also helping to filter the best of the newcomers to fight the veterans (thereby reducing the number of curbstomping).
Metaler wrote:- Well I'll admit people will favor females over males. I wish society was like that, but oh well.
Not just a matter of voters favoring one over the other (that can be corrected with time as the proportion of fangirls balances the voting pool), but the fact that moe for a male is highly different from moe for a female. It's hard to put them together; they're just so incompatible. Between you and me (and the rest of 500 million people on the Internet) I seriously can't even imagine voting between Kamina and Kanade. The question of which one is more "moe" makes hardly any sense to me. :\
SpoilerShow
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:44 am

Eater-of-All wrote:Not just a matter of voters favoring one over the other (that can be corrected with time as the proportion of fangirls balances the voting pool), but the fact that moe for a male is highly different from moe for a female. It's hard to put them together; they're just so incompatible. Between you and me (and the rest of 500 million people on the Internet) I seriously can't even imagine voting between Kamina and Kanade. The question of which one is more "moe" makes hardly any sense to me. :\
Probably also the reason that the 'Male' tournament is being held seperately. Some guys probably can stand up to some of the girls, and in some cases, even out 'moe' some of the weaker ones, it's a question of perspective.

Hayate Ayasaki vs Charlotte Dunois might prove interesting for the voters between their 'moe', but it's probably going to be hard to find pairs of characters that would fit like those.
Jamie AB is open for business. How would you like your hare-brained scheme?
Confusing statements are fun :p
Medaka Kurokami wrote:People aren't meant to protect the rules, rules are meant to protect people
(*'////'*)
SpoilerShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae27 ... nner-1.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/img]

ImageImage
*Puts Nagi behind the drums and Hinagiku at the front with the mike and a guitar*
Banners made by Midnight Jasper & Marinara
Kordosa wrote:I can just imagine all of the Hinagiku facepalming moments. That alone is worth it.
HnG chapter 333 pg 9 wrote:She (Hinagiku) realized an incredibly obvious but oft overlooked point: One had to read the manga before they could give their judgment of it.
ithekro wrote:Remember you aren't allowed to use your powers for evil.
With great power comes great responsibility
Absolute power corrupts absolutely
Tomoya Okazaki wrote:Can I beat you until you're motionless?
MegaTokyo wrote:Some of us are just a little more screwed up than others.
Saber (maglor) wrote:It is not how much, but it is where the king spends that tells what kind of king he is.
Rito wrote:Men don't decide whether they like someone or not based solely on breast size.
Kordosa wrote:Boy, I really need to learn to keep my questions to myself. It only makes things worse.
The lunatics around you are once again doing something to lower your opinion of human intelligence. ~Face Palm
Your sense of time tells you how much of your life has been wasted because you didn't take us at our word. ~Cracked.com
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Azu-nyan, Hina-chan, Aoyama-chan and Subaru-nyan-chan
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:55 am

Yeah, people seem to forget that Mio and Kanade are both newcomers. But! What people rarely mention (or maybe notice) is that every ISML winner was also eligible in AST for their respective year. Fate in AST 2008, Hinagiku 2009, Mio 2010, and Mikoto 2011. So ISML winners are not "veterans" that are long past their due. Some (Fate, Hinagiku, Mikoto) may be veterans, sure, but they have fresh recent material when they won. So in effect a crucial factor in "winning" ISML is having material aired this year or last, which defeats how many people use and complain about the term "veteran."

And as someone mentions, ISML will forever be "best of the best." As I mention above, the ISML winners better fit the profile of "known characters with new material" and not "old geezers who should fade." We are not "nullifying the concept" by having Nova and Stella come together for post-season, because remember, many Stella characters are eligible according to AST rules also. And chances are, if history repeats itself for the 5th time, someone with material aired in the current or previous year, regardless of division, will win ISML. Isn't that what we want?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Hikari-chan
Kholdy's Master
Kholdy's Master
Badges:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Worships: rider ♥ sinon ♥
Melon Pan: 110
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Kageyama Shigeo
2018 Female Favorite: Asada Shino
2018 Male Favorite: Levi
Wish: being able to make everyone around me happier in some way

Post by Hikari-chan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:35 am

I realized I never posted in this, and I thought maybe I should!
1. How often do you visit ISML?
I think pretty daily, unless something really distracts me. I don't often post though, I'm more fond of reading the posts of others.

2. What do you like about ISML (general)
I think the website's design really draws me in, as well as its welcoming banners and just how professional it feels. It makes me feel giddy whenever I vote. ^^;

3. What do you dislike about ISML (general)
The timer bugs me a little since I often forget to press submit when waiting on the timer and browsing other pages in the meanwhile, but I know it's for a good reason, so it's not like I rage out or anything.

4. What do you like about ISML (Forum)
I like the environment and how everyone is kind to each other (except certain bullies... ( ̄へ ̄)), and how Eater doesn't harass me as much on the forums. ♥

5. What do you dislike about ISML (Forum)
It's still a little small, not that there's anything wrong with that. I think we sort of lack variety in threads and whatnot. And the emoticons. I mean, -w- <- As cute as that is, I would never look like this if I was embarrassed. ;_;

6. If you can add, remove or change one thing (on the Forum), what would it be?
I don't think there's anything in particular that I'd change.

7. If you can add, remove or change one thing (in general), what would it be?
More updates on the news page! o/

8. Are you happy with this year's results?
I will neither confirm nor deny whether these results were to my liking!

9. Do you feel this year was overall successful?
I think it was pretty successful, yes. Except for when there were poster mix-ups. Most of which were my fault. (Sorry, KholdStare.)

10. Are you likely to return for ISML 2012?
Of course! I'm looking forward to the matches as well as doing my best to help out when I can.

thank you so much to my wonderful santa! <3
mal | twitter
Miyuri
Gnome
Gnome
Worships: Care to guess?
Wish: Freedom and her own world.

Post by Miyuri » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:41 pm

Depends on how busy I am, and whether if I'm in the mood or not.

The dedicated staffs, the wonderful site design, the almost-year-long competition, the round-robin system for the main tournament, the exhibition matches, and the match preview.

Nothing I really dislike, but well, sometimes I don't like the result. But then again, it's subjective, so... Nothing, really.

The environment and the people! Seriously. ♥ Even though I'm not really active, but I do enjoy being here.

Spambots. Er, also some emoticons (some, not all of them).

Hmm.. Nothing comes to my mind right now.

I think I want to change the postseason format back to a Double Elimination Tournament. Yeah, somehow I prefer Double Elimination rather than Single Elimination, just like some other people here.

Well... Not really. .__.

Yes, it's pretty successful, I think.

Surely!
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:32 am

Actually yeah, I'd like to add that thing about the emoticons too. I often use :bigsmile: and =( because they're the most normal-looking.
Hikari-chan wrote:and how Eater doesn't harass me as much on the forums. ♥
That's horrible. I should change this.
Hikari-chan wrote:And the emoticons. I mean, -w- <- As cute as that is, I would never look like this if I was embarrassed. ;_;
I know right, it lacks the forehead.
SpoilerShow
Hikari-chan
Kholdy's Master
Kholdy's Master
Badges:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Worships: rider ♥ sinon ♥
Melon Pan: 110
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Kageyama Shigeo
2018 Female Favorite: Asada Shino
2018 Male Favorite: Levi
Wish: being able to make everyone around me happier in some way

Post by Hikari-chan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:29 am

Eater-of-All wrote:
Hikari-chan wrote:and how Eater doesn't harass me as much on the forums. ♥
That's horrible. I should change this.
...It's okay, that's not necessary. ._.
SpoilerShow
<3
Eater-of-All wrote: Actually yeah, I'd like to add that thing about the emoticons too. I often use :bigsmile: and =( because they're the most normal-looking.
Hikari-chan wrote:And the emoticons. I mean, -w- <- As cute as that is, I would never look like this if I was embarrassed. ;_;
I know right, it lacks the forehead.
YEAH! THE FOREHEAD! ...heywaitaminute. ;_; But yeah, there are some that are cute, but others just look funny, lol.

thank you so much to my wonderful santa! <3
mal | twitter
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami

Post by Metaler » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:17 am

You could just put a bunch of Iori-based emotes, because they'd be fitting for Hikarin.