What is your preferred political ideology?

Create a poll for the Community to answer! The Staff may use this forum, too, to get your opinion on new ISML ideas. Sponsored Events will also go here.

What is your preferred political movement?

Liberalism
67%
Communism
No votes
Anarchism
10%
Conservatism
No votes
Fascism
5%
Other
19%

Total votes: 21
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2020 Female Favorite: Holo
2020 Male Favorite: Natsume Takashi
2019 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2019 Male Favorite: Arima Kōsei
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Re: What is your preferred political ideology?

Post by maglor » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:24 am

Eater-of-All wrote:
maglor wrote:
Alexander wrote:Where is the politics sucks option?
Worst part about politics is that you can't avoid it, sometimes even after your death. Even if you try, political factors will force you into doing things about it.
But we can still make like a Yang Wenli and avoid political power just as we avoid sewage!
For once, don't blame me for bringing up Legend of Galactic Heroes in political discussion.
Dusk252
Dryad
Dryad
Worships: Akemi Homura
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: to fix my messed-up life.

Post by Dusk252 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Liberalism, of course. And I don't feel like extending myself too much, since Jack_Rav already summed up my reasons quite nicely:
Jack_Rav wrote:I greatly believe in the right of the individual to do as they please, until the exercise of that freedom impacts negatively upon the exercise of that right by other people.
That said, just as with all the other political ideologies, actual results are usually far from the ideals, and I have to admit that there are so many things wrong with today's liberalism-based societies that I've pretty much lost faith in any kind of political system...

By the way, I must refer that I also find communism to be quite interesting, though I'm sure it wouldn't ever work in practice, since we're naturally selfish beings. And I reckon I'd be totally uncomfortable with a lack of private propriety and social distinction. Yes, class division sucks, huge gaps between rich and medium-class suck, but I don't think I could handle a society in which your accomplishments don't mean anything regarding your status or possessions (then where am I living? - I ask myself). Crap, I'm such an idealist.
Teaspoon
Cherry blossom
Cherry blossom

Post by Teaspoon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Dusk252 wrote:Crap, I'm such an idealist.
'Tis a difficult life indeed.
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Minakami Yuki; Takako X Runa; Mioda Ibuki; Toono Ren... It's a long-ass list.
Wish: To keep on taking it easy, and to keep my mind limber.

Post by Metaler » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Dusk252 wrote:Liberalism, of course. And I don't feel like extending myself too much, since Jack_Rav already summed up my reasons quite nicely:
Jack_Rav wrote:I greatly believe in the right of the individual to do as they please, until the exercise of that freedom impacts negatively upon the exercise of that right by other people.
That said, just as with all the other political ideologies, actual results are usually far from the ideals, and I have to admit that there are so many things wrong with today's liberalism-based societies that I've pretty much lost faith in any kind of political system...

By the way, I must refer that I also find communism to be quite interesting, though I'm sure it wouldn't ever work in practice, since we're naturally selfish beings. And I reckon I'd be totally uncomfortable with a lack of private propriety and social distinction. Yes, class division sucks, huge gaps between rich and medium-class suck, but I don't think I could handle a society in which your accomplishments don't mean anything regarding your status or possessions (then where am I living? - I ask myself). Crap, I'm such an idealist.
Yeah, like I said in another thread, not even Castro's brother thinks communism would work anymore. And what you said is almost the exact same reason why guys like Freud didn't believe in communism either.

The thing is, communism precludes that every man is naturally good, and that society turns him evil. Because of this, pessimists usually don't believe in communism.

Of course, I don't believe everyone is naturally good, but I also don't think we're naturally evil either. I think we become good or evil depending on the enviroment we're raised on, the morals we're exposed to, and the kinds of ideals those around us have. Then again, I'm more of a gray and gray morality kind of guy, so yeah.
Teaspoon wrote:
Hehe, indeed.
"Care about people's approval and you will be their prisoner" ~Lao Tzu
Dusk252
Dryad
Dryad

Post by Dusk252 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Metaler wrote:Of course, I don't believe everyone is naturally good, but I also don't think we're naturally evil either. I think we become good or evil depending on the enviroment we're raised on, the morals we're exposed to, and the kinds of ideals those around us have. Then again, I'm more of a gray and gray morality kind of guy, so yeah.
I couldn't agree any more with you on that. Our morals are shaped by external influences, whether we want it or not. At birth, we're pretty much a blank canvas in that area. By the way, that reminds me of the metaphysical discussion of determinism vs libertarianism. Because that always makes me think: I can't deny those factors that truly shape our mindset and impact our decisions, yet I still believe that our actions can be called free and we can be deemed responsible for them since well, even if to a point, such factors (along with previous events) condition our behavior, that's what makes us ourselves, and between a set of possibilities, we feel like we choose, and we can even go against our impulses if we want. (But why the heck am I starting this on a political thread?) Better don't go too much offtopic here. It's just that your sentence got me thinking. (That I need to go back to my Philosophy classes - I kinda miss that time...)
Teaspoon wrote:
Yeah... indeed...
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Minakami Yuki; Takako X Runa; Mioda Ibuki; Toono Ren... It's a long-ass list.

Post by Metaler » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:20 pm

^ Hey, our behavior is closely related to how politics work as well. So I don't think that's off-topic at all. :3

But I'm not exactly familiar with determinism. I know there are a lot of threads about it on reddit, but I don't have much knowledge on it. Maybe I'll go search around when I have the time.
Darth Blitzer
Space pirate
Space pirate
Worships: KyoAni Empire
Wish: Patrolling the Ohio wasteland almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Post by Darth Blitzer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:59 pm

I know of my political ideology that the more i know, the more difficult it becomes to categorize myself into a political ideology

And with that statement that doesn't actually disclose anything relevant to the question, i take my leave!

(Though i arrived to this thread late, let me explain my disappointment with the far too normal political discourse in this thread, i demand that the far reaches of the internet give me some theory on social ostracization being a result of an attempt by a rigid social hierarchy to disenfrachise the social alienated by theories on pseudocompetence, drift hypothesis, and the dunning-kruger effect and thus the need to carry out a total reconstruction of the society and political system. You have all failed me in being normal!)
ETERNAL LURKER who rarely posts now sometimes posts, maybe
Politics, Religion, and Moé
"I remember when ISML was good"
"ISML has never been good"
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami

Post by Metaler » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:41 am

^ One day, my knowledge of political philosophy will be as extensive as that...?
chan12
Crimson lord
Crimson lord
Worships: Promote ISML in Kaskus, the largest online comunity in Indonesia
Wish: Between 2D Complex, True Love, and Railfans

Post by chan12 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:47 am

I like a mixture between Liberalism and Nationalism
for my bestShow
ImageImage Image
Dusk252
Dryad
Dryad

Post by Dusk252 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:43 am

Metaler wrote:^ One day, my knowledge of political philosophy will be as extensive as that...?
Well, if that happens... good for you :biggrin: I, on the other hand, have no interest in pursuing such a goal. Things already look bad enough through the lens of my limited knowledge xD
Wolfnagi
Necromancer
Necromancer
Worships: Sanzen'in Nagi
Wish: Want Nagi to win this year ISML....
And 1 Million bucks....

Post by Wolfnagi » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:03 pm

I put my two cent on Fascism because of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FUepKOu ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami

Post by Metaler » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:06 am

Dusk252 wrote:
Metaler wrote:^ One day, my knowledge of political philosophy will be as extensive as that...?
Well, if that happens... good for you :biggrin: I, on the other hand, have no interest in pursuing such a goal. Things already look bad enough through the lens of my limited knowledge xD
Hehe, well, to be quite frank, I'm not THAT interested into it either... It's one of the reasons I changed majors, really... I prefer studying fiction and other kinds of philosophies than politics.
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2020 Female Favorite: Holo
2020 Male Favorite: Natsume Takashi
2019 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2019 Male Favorite: Arima Kōsei
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Post by maglor » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:06 am

Wolfnagi wrote:I put my two cent on Fascism because of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FUepKOu ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think you are joking here, and of course, anything can be made into a joke if done carefully enough. Still, I fear that there are very large number of people who are actually advocating for fascism while they are tricking themselves into thinking that they are espousing something totally different.
Wolfnagi
Necromancer
Necromancer
Worships: Sanzen'in Nagi
Wish: Want Nagi to win this year ISML....
And 1 Million bucks....

Post by Wolfnagi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:19 pm

maglor wrote:
Wolfnagi wrote:I put my two cent on Fascism because of this:
I think you are joking here, and of course, anything can be made into a joke if done carefully enough. Still, I fear that there are very large number of people who are actually advocating for fascism while they are tricking themselves into thinking that they are espousing something totally different.
Of course its a joke, mag.
You really think Hitler would do that >.>
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Midst
Zealot
Zealot
Worships: Kamio Misuzu
Wish: Pass all my **** classes XP.

Post by Midst » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:14 am

No politics for me. Generally, when people starting to talk about politics, peace starts to break apart. You can do what you want up there, but leave me alone. This is my ideology.
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami

Post by Metaler » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:46 am

^ It all depends on what kind of discussion you're having, really. You can have peaceful discussions with people who are sensible enough to not lose it over someone else's different opinions.

At the same time, you DO have to be cautious of who you discuss with... For instance, you're not gonna talk about communism and class struggle with a conservative redneck unless you want a couple of new orifices.