Poll: Desktop or Laptop

Create a poll for the Community to answer! The Staff may use this forum, too, to get your opinion on new ISML ideas. Sponsored Events will also go here.

Desktop or Laptop

Desktop
56%
Laptop
44%

Total votes: 43
Sedon
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Worships: C.C.
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Something amazing to happen...

Re: Poll: Desktop or Laptop

Post by Sedon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:55 am

superunature wrote:
Teaspoon wrote:>MFW kids under 20 are "old"

kids turning 20 feels "old" because they graduated from Secondary school.
adults turning 65 feels they are still "young" because they still have plenty of energy.

im glad I wasn't born a dog or cat, I'd have lived my life span by now, or very very close.
if you're a cat whose near death,, we'll turn you into an robot so don't you worry

ImageImageImageImage
Credits to:
Energetic Hikari-chan for the slivers
MultiLing Keyboard Madness ⊇≪☜∵↖ⓢⓔⓓⓞⓝ↗∴☞≫⊆
Mayushii~ + Kuristina-HomuHomuShow
ImageImage
Thanks to Midnight-Jasper for Mayushii~ sig and awesome Momokutenshi for the Kuristina-HomuHomu sig~ <3
Lost but not forgotten~ Tu tu ruu~!
xcrossfacekillahx
Incubator
Incubator
Worships: Rosario Cross
Wish: A very good tournament and more cookies. Moehood to reign

Post by xcrossfacekillahx » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:08 am

Sedon wrote:
superunature wrote:
Teaspoon wrote:>MFW kids under 20 are "old"

kids turning 20 feels "old" because they graduated from Secondary school.
adults turning 65 feels they are still "young" because they still have plenty of energy.

im glad I wasn't born a dog or cat, I'd have lived my life span by now, or very very close.
if you're a cat whose near death,, we'll turn you into an robot so don't you worry
kuro chan kuro chan
Roo-loves-Elsie
Chuunibyou
Chuunibyou

Post by Roo-loves-Elsie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:51 pm

I'm using none of them (using a Netbook) XD
IF only there was a netbook options :P
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Minakami Yuki; Takako X Runa; Mioda Ibuki; Toono Ren... It's a long-ass list.
Wish: To keep on taking it easy, and to keep my mind limber.

Post by Metaler » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:01 am

Isn't a netbook a laptop but smaller?
"Care about people's approval and you will be their prisoner" ~Lao Tzu
Roo-loves-Elsie
Chuunibyou
Chuunibyou

Post by Roo-loves-Elsie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:50 am

Metaler wrote:Isn't a netbook a laptop but smaller?
yeap, or a mini-laptop XD
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem
Worships: Moriya Suwako's hat
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Eugeo
2018 Female Favorite: Yamada Elf
2018 Male Favorite: Willem Kmetsch
Wish: A third season of Spice and Wolf.

Post by Kordosa » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:44 pm

Metaler wrote:Isn't a netbook a laptop but smaller?
Mostly. Netbooks are meant to be used for more lightweight applications like word processing, email, and general web browsing. Due to the small form factor of netbooks, none of them come with an internal optical drive. So if you want to use a CD or DVD, you'd have to purchase a USB external optical drive. I'm not sure whether this still goes on, but some netbooks were available with Windows "XP" on them. The only requirements were that they had to have the underpowered Intel Atom processor and a limited amount of RAM. Basically think of the netbook as being the missing link between traditional laptops and smartphones.

On a different topic, I finally ordered me a custom desktop via Newegg. The parts came in Tuesday, got it built Wednesday with the help of a couple of guys at work, Windows 7 came in Thursday, and the last two case fans came in Friday. And I'm just now finished with making it feel "like home".

The specs (click for full size):
Search Newegg for the item numbers listed below for more info and pictures.

Add to the above, two Cooler Master case fans and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Total price: $1271.75 (and I still have $45 worth of mail-in rebates to send)

By the way, before someone asks me why I didn't go with an Intel Core i5 processor or anything, I'm an AMD fan and since the company isn't doing too well at the moment, I thought I'd support them. As for why I chose a last generation Phenom II processor rather than a current generation FX processor, I had heard the FX processors aren't living up to expectations.
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
shiraoky wrote:I'm always squeeing lol.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.
superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Worships: Akiba
Wish: Rabu touch!

Post by superunature » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:08 am

Kordosa wrote:
Total price: $1271.75 (and I still have $45 worth of mail-in rebates to send)
I don't know who helped you picked parts, but you by far paid too much, I know you say you are AMD fan, but the specs of your custom build is not any better then my $700 laptop with Blu-ray burner as well and 1080p screen. (~$700 excluding my $400 512gb ssd)

Benchmark score:
AMD Phenom II X4 975 3.6ghz quad core 4408
GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1886
G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb 1600

my laptop's Benchmark score:
Intel Core i7-2670QM 6800
Radeon HD 6770M 1359
Corsair Vegeance 16gb 1600

-----------------------------------------------------
with your budget, (and AMD as requirement) this is what I would have done.
$199.99 AMD FX-8150 8-Core 3.6Ghz (benchmark 8268) (one in your system benchmarks 4408)
$209.99 GTX480 1536MB (benchmark 3536) (one in your system benchmarks 1886)
$119.99 128Gb Crucial M4 SSD (for applications and programs, MUCH MUCH faster then hard drive)
$92.99 Corsair 16 GB Vengeance 1600Mhz
$89.99 1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
$89.99 1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm (if you are afraid of data loss, buy two identical drive and RAID 1, or buy external and copy all important files)
$75.99 Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Internal 12XReadable and DVD-Writable Drive with Lightscribe
$59.99 Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case
$106.99 CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W Power supply (stronger then the 650w power supply in your build)
$89.99 MSI 970A-G46 Motherboard
$99.99 windows 7 Home premium
$90.73 Corsair Hydro Series H80 CPU Cooler (will keep your CPU MUCH MUCH cooler then the stock fan that comes with the cpu)
---------------------------------------------
Total $1326.63
less then a hundred more, but will run twice as fast, much better graphics, games will load more then twice as fast, windows and applications will open five times faster, it will run cooler, quieters, and chance of data loss would be nearly 0.
paying over $1200 for yours is far too much considering the specs
paying for warranty on parts is also not worth it, because computer technology is updated very often and by the time manufacture's warranty ends (usually 1 yr), the parts is already obsolete and costs nearly nothing to replace.
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem

Post by Kordosa » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:58 am

No one helped me choose the parts; I did that myself. Also, this would be my first custom build so cut me a break.

I don't know where you pulled those benchmark numbers, but I'll concede that I should have researched the FX series processors some more. And I should have spent more time comparing graphics cards. I probably wouldn't have changed anything else (other than Win 7 Pro, which I'll explain below) except maybe to save a few dollars (literally) here or there.

Problems I had with your proposed build:
  • The motherboard you quoted doesn't have a firewire port.
  • The case you quoted doesn't have USB 3.0 ports on the front panel.
  • The blu-ray combo drive you quoted seems to be out of stock at Newegg. And I'm guessing it's not a burner.
  • The power supply you quoted doesn't have a modular design (possessing the ability to only attach the cables you need, thus saving space and increasing airflow). It's also only rated 80 plus bronze rather than the 80 plus gold I chose, meaning that it's less energy efficient. I had figured the extra efficiency would more than make up for the upfront cost in the long run. As far as wattage goes, 650w is enough for what I need. I don't plan on overclocking anything, and the components I chose are all I need right now. If I need to upgrade later, then I'll think about it then.
Other thoughts:
  • I thought about buying an SSD, but I didn't want to have to fool with setting up RAID. And I have a 1.5 TB external hard drive. But it's not like I'll probably be backing everything up every single day. The data recovery plan was simply there for peace of mind.
  • It seems you chose the OEM version of Windows 7 while I chose the retail version. I had heard that you get less support with the OEM version than with the retail, so I made my choice. It was still a bad choice to begin with since I didn't know that Windows 7 Professional 64-bit allows for up to 32 GB of RAM (Home Premium maxes out at 16 GB) and comes with Windows "XP" mode. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with Professional. My only option now is to purchase a Windows Anytime Upgrade to Pro. But I'll probably wait until I need 32 GB of RAM.
  • I had thought about getting the Phenom II X4 980 3.7Ghz processor (standalone) and adding in an aftermarket heatsink and fan or cooler, but I decided against it since I wasn't sure whether I would have enough room given the motherboard, case, and RAM I chose. Also, since I didn't have any plans to do any overclocking, I figured extra cooling wasn't needed.
  • Keep in mind I added $146 worth of warranties. If I had gone with just the components, my cost would have been lower. But I went into this build with no plans to upgrade continuously. (I know someone who upgrades their computer every six months.) Rather I was going to make me a good enough computer and see how far I could take it until I had to do a major upgrade or build another one, hence the extended warranty plans. I got by on my laptop for six years by virtue of being able to settle for less. I don't have an interest in buying every single new PC game that comes out, nor do I have the necessary cash flow even if I did. As I stated before, this was my first custom build. I was bound to make some mistakes with it. That's all part of learning, and I'll be sure to consult other people the next time I make one.
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.
superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device

Post by superunature » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:13 am

all the benchmarks for every cpu and gpu can be found here

* The windows 7 I found for $99.99 is for system builder stand-alone edition. and as for support, it's all the same (student license, OEM and retail). Unless you have corporate enterprise volume license, it's through the same customer service support.
* the case and Motherboard, those are interchangeable, and would be the same price between my sample and your build +$0
* the BD drive can be found on amazon, but it is only reader, a model with burner is about $10 more. +$10
* power supply is just a power supply, you don't need to attach cables you don't need with any power supplies.
* if you only need 650w, there is the CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 for $17 less. $-17
* SSD is plug in and go, no need to RAID anything. if you do RAID 1 two identical drives together, it duplicates everything you do automatically.
* after market fan/heatsink replaces the original and dosen't take more space, and your computer would run cooler regardless or not you overclock, thus fan wouldn't have to run at max all the time.

I realize you did add $146 warranty, but on individual parts. If computer fails, it is unlikely you will know which components failed and would require time and money for diagnostics.
and nearly everything already comes with plenty of warranty by default, hard drives usually have 3yr warranty, motherboard and other pieces usually have 1yr
being your first build, I understand, just that the same computer with comparable specs (intel or AMD) to yours can be built for roughly $500-600 or so, especially if you don't plan on replacing for half a decade, you might want to research it a little more.
This thread has everything organized for pc builders.

"I know someone who upgrades their computer every six months."
now you know another :P except, I refresh the entire system. (between 6month-1yr), I believe I am on my 4th laptop (Gateway,Dell, Compal, now using HP) in just little over 2years.
would have been 5th, except I didn't like the one I recently bought so I will use this one for few more month until more options are available.
EvianBubble
Detective
Detective

Post by EvianBubble » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:02 am

Desktop ... I don't have a laptop XD I'll finally be getting one this summer though! :3
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem

Post by Kordosa » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:34 am

@ superu: The website says it pulls thousands of benchmarks from its users, sure. But it doesn't say whether all of those users were running the exact same build. Hence there is no way to judge whether those results are accurate since those benchmark tests weren't controlled. Sure, it might give you a rough idea of the difference in performance, but that would be it.

I call BS about the power supply. Many of the standard power supplies I've seen have all the cables permanently attached to the power supply (unless you can somehow take those out). The one that I have is fully modular. All of the cables are standalone and can be attached or detached at will from the power supply itself since it has slots for each along the side. As can be seen on this power supply here. Also, not every power supply possesses the same efficiency. The same one I just linked to is 80 plus platinum certified with about a 92% efficiency rating.

As for aftermarket heatsinks/fans, I browsed for a good long while on Newegg and there are several different designs. Some were similar to stock models with a fan and heatsink lying flat on top of the CPU, others had the fan attached to the side of the heatsink, and yet others were more exotic. Depending on the motherboard layout, there may not be enough room for a given heatsink/fan as other component slots like RAM might be in the way. Which was why I decided not to chance purchasing one.

As for having components fail, lucky me. I work at a computer repair shop and have access to several different hardware diagnostic tools. The basic ones are free anyway, like MemTest.

Finally, you say a comparable build to mine can be had for roughly $500 - $600. Well, I ask you, exactly where would you find them then? Because not all components are exactly alike. There are a dozen different AM3+ motherboards out there for instance, all with differing amounts of ports and expansion slots. The power supply I have is fully modular and is rated 80 plus gold with about 89% efficiency.

My point is that you can't generalize a custom build too much as there are so many variables. It's like suggesting all cars are the same. Sure, you might be driving a four-door sedan, but how much gas mileage does it get? Does it have a four- or six-cylinder engine? Does it have onboard GPS? I would daresay computers are the same thing.
QuotesShow
superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device

Post by superunature » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:04 am

individual components are tested therefore the build (or rest of the machine) does not matter when the parts are evaluated. example, a i7-2670 quad core processor will always get 7.5 on WEI regardless if it's in a $400 machine or a $4000 machine. Such as CPUmark program which evaluates only the CPU's performance, not the entire machine.

ok, I guess the PSU might be a slight bit more energy efficient in that regard, but not too much. 80+ bronze (delivers 85% efficiency) and 80+ gold (delivers 89% efficiency)
if you use the computer 5hours a day for a year, at avg .12/Kwh (based on US average, elsewhere likely similar), your difference in yearly electricity cost would only be 5 * 365 * .12 * .04 = $8.76, thus it would take 6yrs to get your money's worth.

getting to hardware diagnostic tool is easy, anyone can do it, but what if your computer won't turn on all of the sudden? how you going to run diagnostic and know which component failed?
hard drive fails (computer won't start), motherboard fails (computer won't start), PSU fails (computer won't start) graphic card fails (computer will start), memory stick fails (computer will start since there is more then one)

I said comparable, not identical, (Sort of like comparing a Toyota Corolla to a Ford Focus). Basing on the specs of your build, a desktop with similar performance and ports should be about $600.

but I am also just saying. If you believe your money is well spent, that is all that matters.
MightySpirit
Katana
Katana
Worships: Chie Satonaka

Post by MightySpirit » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:12 am

I use my laptop almost all the time, because it's so convenient.
But honestly I prefer desktop computers because they're better overall.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
DurianDude
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter
Worships: Kotomi of course
Wish: Everyone in the world to realize the greatness of durians

Post by DurianDude » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:27 am

Dude Desktop FTW! Laptops aren't bad though
Fire Sisters!Show
HasbeenaHibiki
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: セニョール・ハズビーナ, ダークライ,クン・アゲロ・アグネス
Melon Pan: 201
2020 Female Favorite: Nakano Miku
2020 Male Favorite: Kakyoin Noriaki
2019 Female Favorite: Platelet
2019 Male Favorite: Bakugō Katsuki
2018 Female Favorite: Kurumizawa Satanichia McDowell
2018 Male Favorite: Bakugō Katsuki
Wish: A precure making it in ISML and a very popular male Saimoe. Also a Mucha Lucha anime. Darkrai in Saimoe

Post by HasbeenaHibiki » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:09 am

Desktop because laptops break easier
epeldoll
Claymore
Claymore
Worships: Katsuragi Keima
2018 Female Favorite: Haibara Ai
2018 Male Favorite: Edogawa Conan
Wish: Complete my bucket list

Post by epeldoll » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:10 am

i always use desktop because all my games and anime movies are in there...
I gave my 100% support to themShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
aly_angelflight
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel
Worships: Miyanaga Saki
Wish: A job to just land on my lap

Post by aly_angelflight » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:54 pm

My desktop is in a completely different state, and that's the only desktop we own, so... definitely laptop.
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2020 Female Favorite: Holo
2020 Male Favorite: Natsume Takashi
2019 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2019 Male Favorite: Arima Kōsei
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Post by maglor » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:25 am

Desktop is superior, and often cheaper.
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: Erika Sendou
Melon Pan: 181
Wish: a kookie?

Post by kanohistorm » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:42 pm

maglor wrote:Desktop is superior, and often cheaper.
yup, and now you can get compact ones that are (relatively) portable- for those who may move frequently (every 4months).

Laptops over stupid tablets though.
spoiler alert :3
DurianDude
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter
Worships: Kotomi of course
Wish: Everyone in the world to realize the greatness of durians

Post by DurianDude » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:28 am

I hate tablets. They totally suck in comparison to laptops.
Fire Sisters!Show