Greek Arena Names or English Arena Names?

Create a poll for the Community to answer! The Staff may use this forum, too, to get your opinion on new ISML ideas. Sponsored Events will also go here.

English or Greek?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:48 am

Borradz, Iotodz, Epiphaneia, Chromosphaira, whatever you call it.
44%
North, South, Surface, Chromosphere, Core, like normal peoples.
56%

Total votes: 18
minhtam1638
Phantom
Phantom
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: An endless supply of Coca-Cola. Tax free.

Greek Arena Names or English Arena Names?

Post by minhtam1638 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:48 am

Per majority request (kevo), I've been fixing up the official ISML bracket to make it user-friendly, and that includes removing the greek letters and all of that so that people don't get confused. So I came across a problem.

Do you want English names like "North Magnetic Pole" and "Chromoshpere" etc, or do you want to keep borradz for the lulz?

**Poll closes Next Friday.
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Re: Greek Arena Names or English Arena Names?

Post by ithekro » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:49 am

I thought you were doing stars and or constellations.
Space Opera
minhtam1638
Phantom
Phantom

Post by minhtam1638 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:24 am

ithekro wrote:I thought you were doing stars and or constellations.
the greek names on the bracket refer to the layers of the star. Kind of like how Earth has a crust, a magma, and a core.
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

Post by chaosprophet » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:48 pm

I voted fro greek... looks more interesting and if people aren't able to match names I don't think they would understand the bracket anyway.
Miyuri
Gnome
Gnome
Worships: Care to guess?
Wish: Freedom and her own world.

Post by Miyuri » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:26 am

Vote for Greek. Uhm, besides it sounds 'cooler', the idea behind the Greek names is quite interesting and clever. And, using English names sounds a bit--er, sorry--not lame, but too ordinary
melange
Artisan
Artisan
Badges:
Worships: Iwakura Lain
Wish: White Queen & Black Queen

Post by melange » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:25 pm

Miyuri wrote:using English names sounds a bit--er, sorry--not lame, but too ordinary
Really? I felt the greek was lame.. like trying too hard to impress. Plus matching names on bracket (to understand it) feels easier without being confronted with something completely foreign.
The Dancing Doll of the Infirmary - Higanbana
Miyuri
Gnome
Gnome

Post by Miyuri » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:05 am

melange wrote:
Miyuri wrote:using English names sounds a bit--er, sorry--not lame, but too ordinary
Really? I felt the greek was lame.. like trying too hard to impress. Plus matching names on bracket (to understand it) feels easier without being confronted with something completely foreign.
Hm.. At least that's what I thought. Using English names would be more convinient if we want to understand why certain brackets match each other, but then (at least for me), it sounds rather ordinary. Using foreign languages is unique and sounds nice (at least in my ear since I do imagine how it would sounds if someone says those words to me), but, yes, I must admit that understanding the--er--matching names on bracket would be somewhat more difficult unless you try to find the meaning of the words in a dictionary.

Take it with a pinch of salt, I know people have different thought and taste.
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
2017 Female Favorite: Karasuma Chitose
2017 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:20 am

From an artistic point of view: Greek sucks, try again, etc...

From the point of view of someone who knows ISML well: Cool!

From the point of view of someone who is not familiar with Double Elimination: What the fuck? Too complicated, good bye.

Therefore, my vote is, Greek sucks.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:43 am

I voted for English, but I'm actually fine either way.

If the names are needed for analytical purposes, like comparing and/or predicting, then obviously actual English words would be more suitable for such a task. In the aesthetic department however, every person would have their own opinions as to whether Greek words are cool or lame, and I personally don't care either way since in the context of ISML, both the Greek and the English astronomical terms are simply empty jargon. I don't even recall them appearing in the match descriptions, so in the end they'll just be differing arrangement of letters used as a name. I only chose English solely because I can pronounce it, and because I want an easier time if I actually need the bracket for something other than to look at.
SpoilerShow
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:06 am

We already know that the design of the bracket next year is not in the hands of minty.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
Miyuri
Gnome
Gnome

Post by Miyuri » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:30 am

Well, now I wonder why minty chose to use 'astronomical terms' or whatever is that rather than using names of the stars of Canis Major constellation (with Sirius being the last venue).
melange
Artisan
Artisan
Badges:

Post by melange » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:04 am

Miyuri wrote:Well, now I wonder why minty chose to use 'astronomical terms' or whatever is that rather than using names of the stars of Canis Major constellation (with Sirius being the last venue).
Precisely. If it was "coolness" that was wanted, that would have given it without the big "wth is this?" reaction.
kevo
Osananajimi
Osananajimi

Post by kevo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:15 am

minhtam1638 wrote: the greek names on the bracket refer to the layers of the star. Kind of like how Earth has a crust, a magma, and a core.
hahahahahaha I love how every single part of this sentence is wrong. Just as always, minty. Let's break it down.
the greek names on the bracket refer to the layers of the star.
Names of stellar internal structures are in English, not Greek. The core of the star is just called the core. Radiative zone, Chromosphere, Photosphere, it's all in English. See here for reference. The only place these terms are in Greek are in Greek astronomy textbooks. I have no idea how you somehow connected "stars" to "Greek" besides your misuse of the Bayer designation.
Kind of like how Earth has a crust, a magma, and a core.
Again, nomenclature for the composition of the Earth is exclusively English, albeit with heavy influence from Greek roots (moreso than stars), it's still English. Lithosphere, Crust, Asthenosphere, etc.

Also, "magma" is not a layer of the Earth. As if it wasn't obvious you know diddly about physical science already. Your post might as well have been
"the colors of the rainbow refer to the tectonic plates that comprise the earth's crust. kinda like how the dow jones industrial index has American Airlines, Bank of America, and K-ON!"
minhtam1638
Phantom
Phantom

Post by minhtam1638 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:36 pm

melange wrote:
Miyuri wrote:Well, now I wonder why minty chose to use 'astronomical terms' or whatever is that rather than using names of the stars of Canis Major constellation (with Sirius being the last venue).
Precisely. If it was "coolness" that was wanted, that would have given it without the big "wth is this?" reaction.
Honestly, I was thinking about doing it that way in particular, but to be semi-realistic, the constellations in itselves are only applicable when viewed from a certain point in space, to which in our case our home planet, and it does not quite necessarily mean that they are close to each other on said plane. For example, Sirius (Alpha CM) is only 8.6 light years away, which is fairly close in comparison to Murzim (Beta CM) which is a whopping 500 light years away. To me, it probably wouldn't make sense to take that big of a jump from faraway star to faraway star if the target star is right in front of your face.

Basically, this is the only way I felt that I could do it, in regards to sticking with the theme I elected to pick way before ISML's inception.
KholdStare88 wrote:We already know that the design of the bracket next year is not in the hands of minty.
Hey, I wanted to do it this year and I already know all of you weren't going to let me. First come, first serve. Besides, it's my first time doing it, and I can certainly put in the argument that my material will get better overtime.
melange
Artisan
Artisan
Badges:

Post by melange » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:55 am

minhtam1638 wrote:Honestly, I was thinking about doing it that way in particular, but to be semi-realistic, the constellations in itselves are only applicable when viewed from a certain point in space, to which in our case our home planet, and it does not quite necessarily mean that they are close to each other on said plane. For example, Sirius (Alpha CM) is only 8.6 light years away, which is fairly close in comparison to Murzim (Beta CM) which is a whopping 500 light years away. To me, it probably wouldn't make sense to take that big of a jump from faraway star to faraway star if the target star is right in front of your face.

Basically, this is the only way I felt that I could do it, in regards to sticking with the theme I elected to pick way before ISML's inception.
Semi-realistic... this coming from the person who did "diamond = metal" and the person who arbitrarily decided that greek names represented the layers of a star. Brilliant >_>
Juice
Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge
Wish: To successfully guide students on their path.

Post by Juice » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:28 am

Geniuses were usually misunderstood.
But idiots just don't get it when they're wrong.
New Saimoe Podcast!
GTO--an inspiration to my next stage in life.
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:51 am

Who's the genius?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
kevo
Osananajimi
Osananajimi

Post by kevo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:06 am

I can tell you who's not the genius.
minhtam1638
Phantom
Phantom

Post by minhtam1638 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:20 pm

I can say with confidence that I'm not a genius.
melange wrote:
minhtam1638 wrote:Honestly, I was thinking about doing it that way in particular, but to be semi-realistic...
Semi-realistic... this coming from the person who did "diamond = metal" and the person who arbitrarily decided that greek names represented the layers of a star. Brilliant >_>
Hence why I put the prefix "semi in."