How long do you think you will continue being an anime fan?

Create a poll for the Community to answer! The Staff may use this forum, too, to get your opinion on new ISML ideas. Sponsored Events will also go here.

I will probably stop during my undergraduate year.
No votes
I will probably stop during my graduate year.
No votes
I will probably stop after formally starting working (or anytime in the middle).
No votes
I will probably stop after getting married.
No votes
I will probably stop after I see myself as a true adult.
2%
I feel I will quit in one or two years.
2%
I will continue as long as there are still friends/family members watching with me.
No votes
I will continue as long as my family doesn't complain too much.
No votes
I will continue as long as I consider the anime industry isn't entirely shit.
21%
I am confident that I will be an anime fan as long as I am alive (or not too old).
31%
I am a mercurial person who might just stop anytime I feel I have lost my interests.
29%
I haven't thought about this question, and will watch anime just like how I watch movies in my free time.
14%

Total votes: 42
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:
Melon Pan: 55
2020 Female Favorite: Shiina Mashiro
2020 Male Favorite: Lelouch Lamperouge
2019 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2019 Male Favorite: Levi
2018 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2018 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma

Post by Homura » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:51 am

Undergraduate year: typically the time period when you're working on your bachelor's degree.
Graduate year: typically the time period when you're working on your master's degree or PhD.

This is a question my dad has asked me a few times when I was at home (after I started college). Eventually, he stopped asking me after I convinced him that I won't easily give up something I've loved for a long time without good reasons.

Now I just want to ask you people, how do you think about this question? or even being an anime fan in general. Feel free to have some good discussions~
Last edited by Homura on Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:34 am, edited 13 times in total.
Chibasa
[You can (not) Zura]
[You can (not) Zura]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Nero Claudius
Melon Pan: 120
2020 Female Favorite: Nero Claudius
2020 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Araragi Koyomi
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Kyon
Wish: Anime girls to take over the world

Re: How long do you think you will continue being an anime f

Post by Chibasa » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:10 am

As long as there are some good shows I'll keep watching them. Anime are like books, movies and all stuffs in this world 80% are bullshit, 13% are quite interesting and 7% are totally good.

And even if there's no more good anime in future i'll still be a K-On! fanboy for my entire life :3
ImageImage
Secret Santax Time
much more stuff than ToadyShow
ImageImageImageImageImage
Hikarin is the best
Grish
[Erithacus rubecula]
[Erithacus rubecula]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: birds
Melon Pan: 101
2020 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2020 Male Favorite: Kageyama Shigeo
2019 Female Favorite: Uraraka Ochako
2019 Male Favorite: Edward Elric
2018 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2018 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck

Post by Grish » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:50 am

I doubt I'll ever stop. When I have a strong interest in something, my attention for it might come and go in waves over time, but I almost never lose interest entirely.
MALTumblr
avery-kun
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Worships: Berserker!
Melon Pan: 135
Wish: Illya 2017!

Post by avery-kun » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:05 am

Well, its been about 5-6 years now. I'm reaching the point where I'm getting more and more picky about the shows I watch. I can see myself, however, going at least a couple more years.

Or if I ever settle, find a nice woman, I might become too busy, except for watching the occasional show.

Or... I'm stuck hear for the rest of my life. I'll drop anime when either the industry dies, or I die.
WoodyMC
[3,14% Pasta]
[3,14% Pasta]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Magolor Day
Melon Pan: 376
2020 Female Favorite: Shokuhō Misaki
2020 Male Favorite: Ray
2019 Female Favorite: Rachel Gardner
2019 Male Favorite: Saiki Kusuo
2018 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2018 Male Favorite: Reg
Wish: Gem Apple to Dominate the Universe

Post by WoodyMC » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:18 am

I watch less and less anime as time goes on, to the point of only 1 series per season. But that is mainly because i know if i find a series i fall in love with, i will save all my spares time in marathon-ing that, which is not really great in my current situation ^^;

So idk. Maybe some day. But not really soon i think. I can easily imagine myself in several decades after saving all spares time watching/reading something again :p
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: Erika Sendou
Melon Pan: 181
Wish: a kookie?

Post by kanohistorm » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:51 am

question never occurred to me, As long as I remained interested, there is no reason to drop simply due to age. Im sure my taste will change overtime and I'll probably stop calling dibs on 2D waifus later on but...
I know mothers (kid is same age as me) who continues to watch anime and still buys those weekly/monthly mags
spoiler alert :3
10ZHAbin
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Leina
Melon Pan: 50

Post by 10ZHAbin » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:53 am

Whenever I feel like done with it, but my music list will constantly remind me of it because 64.83% of it is anime music.
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:

Post by Homura » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:12 am

Thank you all for answering this! which is also said to people coming later.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:54 pm

I haven't really think about the question, but I am easy to get bored, tbh.

But, at the same time, I am a very open person, and tend to accept the weak and the lowlife more than the elite works of the rich and the "supported by the master of the world". (in exception of few things I like anyway despite the fact that they're big players or they may have flaws, like KEY works or KyoAni gorgeous visual.) You could say that I always try to uphold the concept of social justice.

So, the answer could also be: "as long as anime is made." (which is third to last option.)
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:02 pm

Started watching anime as a way to see moe without freaking out the 3D girls I hang out with. I don't see dropping it unless that changes, which probably will be never.
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Kinomoto Sakura
Wish: Fluency in Japanese

Post by Crisu » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:19 pm

My high point was in college, mostly because of all the time I had but also because of the immense love for it. When the Internet introduced file-sharing software, anime became much more easily available (as opposed to having to buy VHS and DVD from the store), so I was exposed to a lot more genres. Perhaps I was watching up to 8 or 10 series at a time in my college days.

That has since shrunk, and this year I am really watching only 1 series. There are more I want to see, but I can't commit enough time to it. I checked two options in the poll: I expect to be a fan until I grow old and die -- at least I will always appreciate anime and the entertainment it brings. But I reserve the possibility that I may end up not watching it anymore, save the occasional clip or two.

But maybe like Grish said, it could be a phase. 25 years from now when I hopefully retire from real-life work, perhaps I'll have enough free time again to pick up anime ... anime in 2040, what will it be like?
hinakatbklyn
Incubator
Incubator

Post by hinakatbklyn » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:34 pm

For me it's either I'm continuing to watch anime in my free time the same way I watch movies (been that way in the 13-14 years I've been consistently watching anime) or since my hobbies normally change after an estimate of 10 years and already gone past my limit, the minute I lose interest in anime, I could stop at any time.

Edit: Now it looks like, even though I will complete most of my backlog of current anime, I doubt I will start on any new anime/drop any shows I've been stalling on and eventually retire from watching anime.
Last edited by hinakatbklyn on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Death
Melon Pan: 81
Wish: For people to stop taking advantage of me

Post by Kiwigiwi » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:54 pm

I don't think it's a matter of 'quitting' per se.. I watch a lot less anime than I do in the past now but it's not like I quit or anything. Neither do I feel like I'm on my way to quitting. It's more a past time that I do whenever I want and if there are any shows I'm interested in.

Much like how I stopped watching korean game shows years ago but recently, I've picked it back up.
So if by quitting, it means I will never touch anime ever again; I guess I won't ever quit unless it killed me.

♡ Secret Santa Daisuki ♡
SecretsShow
♫ Much love to my secret santa of 2016 ♥
Toady
[School Idol Producer]
[School Idol Producer]
Badges:
Worships: Tsuruya-san
2020 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2020 Male Favorite: Ishigami Yū
2019 Female Favorite: Nakano Azusa
2019 Male Favorite: Kyon
2018 Female Favorite: Rem
2018 Male Favorite: Roy Mustang
Wish: A wedding for Nico & Maki

Post by Toady » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:55 pm

Well, obviously it's hard too say. I checked the option saying I will keep being an anime for all my life.
I'm not too active in the anime community. I'm watching around 3-5 anime per season, when I was watching around 15 shows per season around 5 years ago. So yeah, it decreased a lot, but I still need my regular dose of moe as I still need my weekly chapter of One Piece.

When I was smaller, I was a huge Nintendo and in particular a Super Mario fan. I wondered when I would stop playing these kinds of games, but the thing is... I never did. I'm still a huge Super Mario fan, still excited by every Nintendo Direct, even if I don't play as much as I used to.
I think I will experience a similar thing with anime. It will take less space with time, but never completely disappear.

I also wondered what I would do with my anime figures collection if I grow tired of anime, haha ^^'
Much stuff (but Chibaka has more)Show
#Drunkard4Ever #ThanksKiwi
My Secret Santa is awesome :3

Hikarin <3
Thank you Secret Santa 2016 :3
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:45 pm

I ask myself this question every year.

I think I will stop if Toady and Woody hates me.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto

Post by RailWarrior » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:36 pm

I just don't see myself quitting. Started watching anime in 2006 after being introduced to D.Gray-man, and since then, my interest has only been growing. Shortly after starting anime (I'd say within 3 years), I started reading manga.
Around late 2011 would probably be when I expanded into light novels. At the least, I was definitely reading the SAO LN before the anime aired.
2012 is when I started really following seasonal anime.
Don't remember when I started reading VN's, but it peaked in 2013-14. This period is also when I gained an interest in seiyuu.
In 2014, studios became a big part of my anime career when P.A. Works made their presence known to me. My interest in studios was cemented by Studio Passione after Rokka no Yuusha.
2015, started really following anime sales closely.
2016 is still bringing in knew things for me. For one, I started collecting merchandise that isn't anime discs or manga. Still no figures yet, though. For another, it'll be the first time I get to watch the Seiyuu Award ceremony once Daisuki streams it subbed.

Edit: Oh yeah, also recently started listening to seiyuu radio shows. Namely Hayami Saori no Freestyle♪ and Hanazawa Kana no Hitori de Dekiru kana? Occasionally Dear Girl ~Stories~ (Kamiya Hiroshi + Ono Daisuke) and Aoi・Saori no Shin Bangumi (Yuuki Aoi + Hayami Saori).

So yeah...quitting isn't happening~
Desufire
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Orihime Inoue
Melon Pan: 60
Wish: For sugar to not be unhealthy, and campaigning to be easier

Post by Desufire » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:40 pm

Where's the "I've already quit and just like to talk about it with friends now" option?
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:17 pm

Yes, as long as there are decent shows to watch.

But ISML results are shit and I still vote so I dunno.
SpoilerShow
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:

Post by Homura » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:35 pm

Stories are really significant to me in my life. Surely, I am developing my own story through my every day life, knowing stories happening on people close to me, and seeing stories taking place in this world. However, this is not enough. For instance, when I was a little kid, one of my favorite things to do was sitting beside my grandpa and listening to all the Yōkai stories he knew. Some categories of stories such as the ones containing supernatural and fantasy elements simply don't exist in real life, and therefore media other than humans that convey stories have become essential to my life. Among all those media, I always prefer books and anime to others. Writing and drawing are really freer ways of creating, and stories based on them suffer much less restrictions on their contents. Also, I don't particularly like to see characters being played by real people (ironically, this is exactly one of the reasons why many people don't like anime). To live a satisfying life, some people may need music, some may need playing around with numbers, and to me it's stories. That will never change, so I chose that option.

In terms of some other options, one of my best friends has once expressed his concern of not being able to be an anime fan anymore after marriage. I see that as a problem too. Not everyone will end up with marrying somebody who can understand his/her interests. When you are single, you basically can overcome most difficulties by your strong self. However, in marriage, when the other side persistently wants you to stop doing something, taking a strong attitude and choosing not to compromise will mostly damage the family as a whole. After some discussions with that friend, he surprisingly said if that were really to happen on him in the future, probably the only thing that could make him continue is I were still watching anime at the time. A.K.A, the power of strong friendship! so I put another option.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:44 am

Homura wrote: In terms of some other options, one of my best friends has once expressed his concern of not being able to be an anime fan anymore after marriage. I see that as a problem too. Not everyone will end up with marrying somebody who can understand his/her interests. When you are single, you basically can overcome most difficulties by your strong self. However, in marriage, when the other side persistently wants you to stop doing something, taking a strong attitude and choosing not to compromise will mostly damage the family as a whole. After some discussions with that friend, he surprisingly said if that were really to happen on him in the future, probably the only thing that could make him continue is I were still watching anime at the time. A.K.A, the power of strong friendship! so I put another option.
Oh that's nice of him, for your friend to actually considered quitting anime after marriage. (but in the end, he don't, right? Because that will be sad.)
One of my game friend couldn't give up on Rias and almost ruined his own marriage when his wife found out what kind of anime DxD is ^^;
Fortunately, he's such a cheeky b****** and found way to soften his wife's mood while still watches DxD in the back.
(but well... I guess that's the extend of his unfaithfulness. Nah, he's not a cheater or some sort. He loves her deeply, plus he knows he'd be a fool to cheat on such a beauty.)

Can never get my head on this relationship thing. Too complicated.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~