A Slider Voting System?

Create a poll for the Community to answer! The Staff may use this forum, too, to get your opinion on new ISML ideas. Sponsored Events will also go here.

Should ISML 2017 implement a slider vote system?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:59 pm

Yay
18%
Nay
73%
Keep old system
9%
Here's my idea
No votes

Total votes: 11
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
2017 Female Favorite: Megumin
2017 Male Favorite: Zen Wistalia
Wish: ISML - A new face for the champion.
KBM - to revive
AST - to encourage international participation
IRL - My definition of peace and tranquility.

A Slider Voting System?

Post by Momento10 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:59 pm

Now, I highly doubt this is going to be implemented anytime soon, but one idea I have for a possible voting method is the usage of points similar to slide voting back in 2009. Basically, the voter has 10 points per arena match and is allowed to divide the points however s/he wished as long as the point values do not exceed 10. the voter can go for 10-0, 0-10, 0-0, which would mean s/he abstained, or 5-5 for those who like both so much s/he cannot decide who to choose. Should ISML try it, should it not, should it keep the usual voting format, or do you have other possible ideas of ways to vote? Put your ideas here.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Re: A Slider Voting System?

Post by Reverend » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:03 pm

This idea... is basically Maglor's heart.
This idea... is also Avery's and Regal's nightmare.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Veon
Salamander
Salamander
Badges:
Melon Pan: 105
2018 Female Favorite: Tōsaka Rin
2017 Female Favorite: Tōsaka Rin
Wish: Contract?

Post by Veon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:21 pm

Seems kinda pointless. How many people would use numbers outside 10-0 and the one that supposed to be as abstain (either 5-5 or 0-0)?
5%? 10%?
Doubt it would be high number of people.
Change that would give a little more for minority of voters and confuse majority of them.

It could maybe give something in necklace matches, but in 1vs1 matches it would be just pointless.
avery-kun
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Worships: Berserker!
Melon Pan: 135
2017 Female Favorite: Illyasviel Von Einzbern
2017 Male Favorite: Gilgamesh
Wish: Illya 2017!

Post by avery-kun » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:58 pm

I would think basic game theory suggest that sliders are useless, at best. If the polls were surveys simple to gather an understanding of how much people in general liked difference characters, then maybe this system could work. But since ISML is a competition, no voter should ever give their favorite between two characters anything less than a full score, no matter how small their actually difference in preference. To do less would only make their vote less useful versus another voter who did always maximize their favorite's vote.

For example. Lets say there is an arena, Misaka Mikoto vs Kyubey. If I was simply giving a honest ranking of the two, I would probably put the slider 6-4 in favor of Misaka. Because the survey is not a competition, I have nothing to loose by doing this and am providing my honest opinion.

However, in ISML I would always put the slider 10-0 in favor of Misaka. Why? If there were only two voters, me and one other person. If the other person put 0-10 for Kyubey, and I put 6-4 for Misaka, Kyubey would win. Kyubey would still win if I put 9-1 for Mikoto. The only way Kyubey doesn't automatically win is if I put 10-0 for Misaka.

Thus every vote should always maximize their slider to give the most preference to their favorite, else their loose out to a voter who did.

Thus, a slider in ISML would be, for all practical purposes, what we have now. A binary choice. This would extend for any alternative 1v1 arena. For poly-person arenas this might work better, but there are other better systems for those situations. A better choice would be to allow ranking characters in an arena, for example. Or allowing people to select as many people as they want.
Chibasa
[You can (not) Zura]
[You can (not) Zura]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Yamada Naoko
Melon Pan: 120
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Kyon
2017 Female Favorite: Kasumigaoka Utaha
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
Wish: Creating the best card game

Post by Chibasa » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:16 pm

Like avery and Veon I doubt about sliding vote utility. And same comment for bloodbath match. With a preference for ranking or range vote.
ImageImage
Secret Santax Time
much more stuff than ToadyShow
ImageImageImageImageImage
Hikarin is the best
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Archer
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Post by maglor » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:40 pm

Reverend wrote:This idea... is basically Maglor's heart.
This idea... is also Avery's and Regal's nightmare.
Well said.

Do note that while my heart desires it, my head knows it won't have much of effect.