ISML Karaoke 2020: Round 1 Voting

Create a poll for the Community to answer! The Staff may use this forum, too, to get your opinion on new ISML ideas. Sponsored Events will also go here.

What entries do you like best?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:27 amPlease note that results are sorted by decreasing number of votes received.

Entry 110: Sugao
16%
Entry 109: Sarishinohara
15%
Entry 111: Tabi no Tochuu
13%
Entry 113: White Album
13%
Entry 107: Ordinary Love
11%
Entry 112: Ugoku, Ugoku
10%
Entry 104: Ichigo Complete
6%
Entry 105: Kimiiro ni Somaru
5%
Entry 101: 99
3%
Entry 102: Answer
3%
Entry 103: CLICK
2%
Entry 106: Nagisa ~kimi to mezashita takami, negai ga kanau basho~
2%
Entry 114: Yuuyake Friends
2%
Entry 108: Over the Top
No votes

Total votes: 62
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

ISML Karaoke 2020: Round 1 Voting

Post by Chocola » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:40 am

Rules:
  • In your comments, please refer to entry numbers or song titles instead of participant names.
  • You can vote for a maximum of 5 entries.
  • Constructive criticism is allowed but don't be rude.
  • Try to not have bias if you know the song, and judge based on the vocals.
  • Your votes will be anonymous. You could (and should) vote for yourself.
https://staff.internationalsaimoe.com/s ... 0_r1g1.zip
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Re: ISML Karaoke 2020: Voting

Post by Reverend » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:19 am

SpoilerShow
101: Somewhere midway it lost cohesion. It's still fun, tho.
102: Have confidence in your voice. Just shout it and let it ring, really.
103: It's nice to have fun. Just... don't blow air to the mic.
104: I feel that the singer could have done much more. Maybe let himself go a bit? Nice radio effect, tho.
105: More power. Also swing it more. Because you are human, not a software.
106: Should have pitched it down.
107: The low notes are difficult to maintain, let alone to get the vibe right. Other than that: It's a good karaoke.
108: You should have let yourself out since the beginning.
109: Would have been better when, during the part where you sang together, the girl had gone counter, but... ah well, too much effort (would be required). It's good as it is, anyway.
110: My only complain is that the instrument got a bit too fast midway kek. Well, to be fair, the song is simple. But the cover is serene.
111: I want more power.
112: It's good vocal. Song-bias definitely not involved. The criticism? It's good vocal, if you get what I mean.
113: I wish the singers venture out a bit more with the song.
114: Try to get the feeling the lyric is trying to convey.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Toady
[School Idol Producer]
[School Idol Producer]
Badges:
Worships: Tsuruya-san
Wish: A wedding for Nico & Maki

Post by Toady » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:27 am

Finally got time to listen to all of them!
It's so great there are so many entries, I hope everyone will be allowed to participate in a possible Round 2.
SpoilerShow
101: Love the energy, not easy to make something cohesive with so many voices, but it's a good and fun attempt. Ninety-niiiiiiiiiiiiine.
102: The voice is a bit low compared to the music it's a bit sad, wish we could hear you better! Be more confident, it's better at the end, but you can do better, I'm sure. We can feel you enjoy that song, that's cool!
103: Great energy and cool duo! Especially like the parts where both of you sing at the same time, it fits pretty well considering you were most likely not in the same room ^^ Also, need more Onodera in my life, but that has no link with all this.
104: Oh, I love singing this song in karaoke... Was singing alongside you. I'm a bit biased, but it's good vocals and it makes me smile! Is it two times the same singer or what? I'm so bad at this. Coppola-chan best girl.
105: I wish I knew technical music terms like maglor to comment this one. I'll try. The musicality is nice, but it feels like a very... nasal voice? Maybe I'm saying BS. Anyway, getting a bit better near the middle, would love more energy, more power.
106: Okay, no Clannad bias. No Clannad bias. Very hard when I'm almost crying from the 10 first seconds of the instrumental xD. Very nice and strong voice, maybe sometimes too strong for that song! Energy is really good, but too much energy is too much. Maybe could have been fixed just by turning the volume of the voice a bit compared to the music? Give Nagisa a big hug, please!
107: Ah, really love that one! The voice is perfectly under control and you reach a wide range of notes with ease. Well done!
108: What is this One Piece in my moe tournament? Is okay, missing some energy and pronunciation is sometimes under the top. Gets better near the end.
109: Wait, why does this sound like a professional song? Both voices sound very nice, and you really have to nitpick to find some issues. Love it <3
110: So nice, especially if it's your own instrumental cover! It has to be, it flows so well together. Very clear and serene voice!
111: Very nice singing voices! A bit too uniform, could have put more power in some parts I think (like it is at 2:46, that's great!), but still very nice :)
112: Good vocal, good energy and the two voices go well together! Sometimes, pronunciation is a bit... stiff? But it's rare. Not much more to say here!
113: Sounds very nice once more, too many great songs! Sometimes words are a bit muffled, especially from the male voice. The female voice is sometimes a bit loud maybe. But on average, very good again. How will I be able to vote?
114: Why is the music so low? I'm glad I can hear your voice well, but some music would make it so much better! I like the energy a lot though, could be a bit better technically! Also, too short! Hahaha :D
I wrote all of this, but still don't know who to vote for lol.
Much stuff (but Chibaka has more)Show
#Drunkard4Ever #ThanksKiwi
My Secret Santa is awesome :3

Hikarin <3
Thank you Secret Santa 2016 :3
blaZofgold
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
Worships: God, the real one
Wish: Murphy's Law not to be always true

Post by blaZofgold » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:36 pm

I want to preface all my comments with the fact that I loved everyone's entries, and that as long as you're having fun you should sing! No matter what people (and I) say, nothing should take away your joy of singing.
SpoilerShow
101: I think the song choice is fairly difficult here, since the original song relies on a lot of sampling and electronic arrangement. More importantly though, the volume was a bit out of control, and it would be good in the future to make sure all the parts are similar in loudness.
102: For this song, it's important to stay on rhythm because the song has a strong forward motion.
103: It's not your fault for having a bad mic, but honestly a half-decent mic is a good investment. Even with a good mic though, it takes practice to sing in a way that doesn't pick up blowing noises.
104: Love the song choice, and I think there was good effort into capturing the cute vibe. For a song like this, its okay to care less about how well you're singing and more about how much fun it sounds.
105: Similar to 102, the tempo of the song is very rapid so keeping on pace and even sometimes early to the verses is key to keep the song boppin.
106: Good singing overall. For this song, being able to hold notes long and stable is important, so that's something that can be worked on.
107: The verses are quite nice, but the chorus needs a different approach, something softer would be good.
108: This performance is actually quite impressive due to the difficulty of the song, but in my experience difficult songs like this makes it hard to focus on the singing and pronunciation.
109: I feel like most people will focus on how well the female part is sung, but I also think the male singer is just as impressive. Both singers seem comfortable with holding out notes and phrasing, which makes this duet feel more seamless.
110: Excellent song, and you approach it with a great style that seems to fit well.
111: The song is quite melancholic, but it might be worth thinking about how to find variation between verses to make the performance feel more unique.
112: I can hear how much fun you guys are having, and that's great. The original is supposed to be a cutesy song, so maybe if you guys took it in a completely different direction it would've made something more unique.
113: The duet part was a nice surprise, I feel the voices complement each other very well.
114: This song isn't easy and there's some complicated melodic phrases going on. I can hear some parts where you get it, but other parts where it seems more of a struggle, so just keep working it out~
I really hope there's a round 2, and that people continue to submit. I hope I get to hear many more covers so we can publish another ISML album!
Grish
[Erithacus rubecula]
[Erithacus rubecula]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: birds
Melon Pan: 101
2018 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2018 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck

Post by Grish » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:47 am

The singer in 110 is really good. I'd love to hear him sing in his native language, because his pronunciation is off at times and if not for that I think I'd like it better than the original. Damn the Japanese-only rule.
...actually, I might like it better than the original anyway.
MALTumblr
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2019 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2019 Male Favorite: Arima Kōsei
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Post by maglor » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:43 pm

So, why can't I vote for 6 songs?
SpoilerShow
101 : Rhythm and pitch not clear. Tones often sound too flat.I do appreciate the effort for duet. Need to show more excitement.

102 : need clearer intro. Have trouble with leaps ( going between two distant notes ). Sounds too much like murmering instead of trying to convey a meaning of feeling to the listener. The melody line is not sung with enough conviction

103 : well, credible duet effort, but need more fuller breathing to blend the voices better. Microphone quality of one of the singer needs to be improved. decent diction and pitch control with decent attempt for dynamic control.

104 : Need to sing this with sharper tone and with better confidence. The 2nd voice had the right idea. Be bolder with dynamic range and accents. Don't sing scared

105 : Need more deeper bolder voice at the beginning. The singing feels as if someone sung with their hand between the mouth and microphone. Diction needs more work

106 : Need more sound from the stomach. Here, you need to swallow your sound a little to give it more mellow tone while maintaining the volume. I like the confidence. Still need better phrasing to convey the more subtle emotions. Perhaps relax a bit more?

107 : good beginning , good pitch control and nice attempts at dynamic control and phrasing. Need slightly better breathing.

108: not an easy song this is. Need more volume. pitch is bit flat

109 : Nice vocals. OK. I am raising my judging standard to semi-pro level for this one. Need to hit the pitches more accurately. Some chromatic progression is not done well enough. Singers needs to study the chord structure and adjust the pitches accordingly. Could have been bolder in trying variations in phrasing.

110 : nice performance. Playing the guitar yourself gave you flexibility to be more expressive. Need deeper breathing to make the sound fuller and louder at critical passage. When ending, try a bit more fade out along with vibrato.

111 : I thought I heard this performance sometime ago. Can definitely tell that the singer had good deal of practice. Need to be more louder and calmer at the higher melodic passage. The singer needs to be more confident of her own voice. Singer sped up in couple of places unnecessarily . The harmony part sounded slightly off.

112 : The singers needs to be quicker on the delivery at the start. The singers got better and more into the "Groove" as the song progressed. Better vocal technique involving more fuller head voice would have been nice. More sharper staccato would have been nice.

113 : Now, this is a brave choice. Nice attempt to mellow the voice by the female singer, but needs much better support for the entire phrase. Need to show more confidences in where to cut off, and where to fade out. Need to have more fun and also be more "flirty" at the right places. This is a song where the singer has to sometimes pretend to be a mature person, and playful youth at the other times. Wish this difference was better emphasized.

114 : Pitch control, diction, and rhythmic precision are more desired.

Karob
School nurse
School nurse
Badges:
Worships: ♪♫~
Melon Pan: 55
2019 Female Favorite: Ichigo
2019 Male Favorite: Azusagawa Sakuta
2018 Female Favorite: Jeanne d'Arc
2018 Male Favorite: Saiki Kusuo
Wish: At the end of all our lives, to be able to say, "it was worth it".

Post by Karob » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:40 pm

SpoilerShow
101: I loved hearing all these members singing together. A cookie for whoever is responsible for this happening: {cookie}
102: It's soothing. I'd like to hear this singer with a higher quality microphone. Singing louder might also help to counter some of the mic distortion, but I know that might be difficult for different possible reasons.
103: Pretty great duo, pretty on point with following the music together. One of the singers sounded nasally, which is something I struggle with in my singing. (I don't sound nasally to me until I hear a recording of myself.)
104: It sounded like the singers were having fun and so I had fun too.
105: I liked when the singer was more expressive. Sometimes they got quiet and lost the energy.
106: Not perfect pitch, but I like the strength of the singing. (I think the microphone might have been clipping- turning the recording volume down might have helped if that's an option.)
107: Perfect! Good job holding those low notes steady too.
108: Followed the song good, and hit some impressive low notes.
109: You accidentally submitted the original, right? :P This is fantastic.
110: Drastic departure from the original, but it works well. Nice expression with vibrato and all (though it sounds restrained in some places).
111: You two did great! This song is hard to sing. XD
112: One! Two! Three! You kept the fun feel of the song.
113: The song marches steadily forward and so do these nice singing voices.
114: A difficult one to sing. I think some more time to get familiar with the notes would have been good.
Now time to weave conspiracy theories about the entries that all had smoke alarm low battery sounds in the background.
ImageImageImage
MyAnimeListAniListProjects
"The right answer is to never stop thinking." ~Seikaisuru Kado
Chibasa
[You can (not) Zura]
[You can (not) Zura]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Yamada Naoko
Melon Pan: 120
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Araragi Koyomi
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Kyon
Wish: Creating the best card game

Post by Chibasa » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:42 am

I don't have the musical knowledge to give precise comments about what bothers me or is successful.
SpoilerShow
102: My big problem is the audio isn't mix well, we cannot hear voice compared to instrumental.

103: The mic quality isn't that good, this aside, I think it needs voice to be a bit more powerful here.

104: I did like this song, I think it's doing a lot of things right.

107: This one is nice, especially verses part.

109/110: No amount of passion can overcome a lack of technical expertise. The words of my waifu are always true ~ And that's why those two songs really crushed all the others imo. You are on the next level of competition.

111: This isn't an easy song and I think it is an impressive take on it. Not perfect, but definitely some good work there.

112: It was really hurting to not vote for this song, but you shortly fell 6th in my book sadly, due to how good the competition is this time. As someone who listen the song very often, I did felt the core reason why I do love Ugoku Ugoku. Energy was there. You are on the good path.

113: It's quite good but I have nothing constructive to say there. So, good job !

106: The problem of Clannad is that i'm already emotionally invested before you even started singing, so hard to not feel any biases here lol. I would say the singing is quite uneven. If I had to compare this to a shounen animu, I'd say singer is in a training arc, starting to get the first touches of his power-up, yet still not having his key-progressing moment when he do truly evolve to the next stage. So keep it up I guess. :3
Lot of good surprises for song choices btw, good tastes guys ! :3
ImageImage
Secret Santax Time
much more stuff than ToadyShow
ImageImageImageImageImage
Hikarin is the best
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:55 am

selected commentsShow
104: I don't think solo parts work well based on knowledge of the original song. Having 4 people would benefit the vocals here. Singers are generally on key but one of the voice needs to be more playful to match the song. There were a few really nice parts together however.
105: The singer is somewhat off-key but I really like how the energy matches with the song. If the singer has a bit a training to be more on key, it would be one of my favorite karaoke entries.
107: I feel like I know who the singer is, and if I'm correct, I think he could have had a better performance with better song choice.
108: The beginning is a little off but it gets nicer as the song progresses.
109: Female voice is very good. Male voice has some nice expressive range, with good contrast between 1:50 and 3:15.
110: Really good entry, and if I'm not mistaken, you're the only singer so far in our forum who uses vibrato.
112: This is a really good duet and anything bad would be nitpicking.
113: Based on my knowledge of the anime and the song, the singers were on point in conveying the depressing/sad aspect of the song, which is a big plus. It feels like a big break up, which matches with how I feel when watching the anime.
Edited by Woody to remove rude.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
sean121
Ninja
Ninja
Badges:

Post by sean121 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:26 am

I couldn't vote up there but for me It was Sarishinohara.