Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Kinomoto Sakura
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Fluency in Japanese

Aquamarine Statistics

Post by Crisu » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:12 am

EDIT: Updated to http://www.internationalsaimoe.com/statistics/period.php?period=aquamarine

http://www.internationalsaimoe.com/statistics/aquamarine.php

Comments and suggestions for the page are welcome. The graphics there presently are similar to what were offered in 2008, except text has now been provided for your use in spreadsheets or anywhere else.

The top graphic shows each contestant's schedule for the period and will be updated to mark wins and losses accordingly.

Currently I don't plan on including any other sorts of graphs or pie charts. So if someone wants to contribute, that would be wonderful.

In the match graphics, the leftmost column lists the match number out of 2016 in the entire tournament. This is mostly for organization/database purposes.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
-synchronizer-
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Aquamarine Statistics

Post by -synchronizer- » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:41 pm

That's pretty neat.
Since not all the participants vote in every arena, would it be possible to have a separate section that lists the total number of voters per round?
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Crisu » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:58 am

That will be considered. :) Maybe we can come up with a graph for that over time.

For now you can sum up the numbers in the match cards, divide by 32, and get a good approximate result.

I've also upgraded the page now so it has full text tables for the match cards instead of images. Makes things a lot easier in my opinion.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
Game8910
Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge
Worships: Nakagawa Kanon
Wish: Athena gets really popular in the future, also TWGOK S3

Post by Game8910 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:19 pm

man this new style for your charts makes it a bit more difficult to paste on other fourms to show the current stats XD

I liked it more when the results were in pics
Destiny
Osananajimi
Osananajimi

Post by Destiny » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:37 pm

Game8910 wrote:man this new style for your charts makes it a bit more difficult to paste on other fourms to show the current stats XD

I liked it more when the results were in pics
Screenshot? XD

My reaction was the total opposite: "Yay for text tables where I can highlight and copy-paste stuff!"
Blacksmith_Tony
Beef bowl
Beef bowl

Post by Blacksmith_Tony » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:41 pm

Well I was kind of bored, so I wrote a little app that makes it nice and easy to generate a number of graphs and charts related to ISML. It still needs a lot of tweaks to get things looking how I'd like, and some changes for future possible charts.

Anyway if anyone's interested you can see the some graphs for Aquamarine 1. Be warned they're not as pretty as anything melange makes :D.
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Crisu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Game and Destiny have just provided the opposing arguments for this decision. ^^;

Last year's system was images, but generating them one by one (and especially changing them if there were errors or typos) took a whole lot of time. Many voters who wanted to run some analysis on the data were also spending a lot of time typing in all the names and numbers, while I had it all in text in front of me on my spreadsheet.

I love graphs and visual displays. Blacksmith_Tony, I love what you have. The prettiness doesn't have to be grand, as I believe the graph itself already is a huge improvement over a table of values when quickly presenting information. The pie charts, for example, show me right away that J.C. Staff and Studio Deen are in second and third place in total votes; I don't have to look at all the numbers and sort or contrast them.

It's great inspiration to enhance the statistics portal better, so more members like Tony can make contributions to the site.

So I opted for text tables because it was much easier to update and adjust, and I believe the net level of convenience for users like yourselves is higher. Yes, you'll have to take a screenshot, crop it, and host the image on your own (Photobucket, Imageshack, etc.), but that takes a lot less effort overall than the constant re-typing of names as I've seen others do.

...However, if you can find me a PHP script that can auto-generate images from text/HTML tables, I will definitely consider it.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
Blacksmith_Tony
Beef bowl
Beef bowl

Post by Blacksmith_Tony » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:37 am

I for one think the text results are great. Of course I do use it to import into my own result database, and I don't post the results on forums, so I'm a little biased. I certainly wouldn't have bothered creating these graphs if I had to input the results my hand.

Thanks for the comments Crisu, as long as someone is interested I'll keep updating my program and uploading the graphs. Although some of them won't change much from round to round, and it seems the KyoAni dominance may make finding a decent scale for some graphs a bit challenging.
imbehindyou
Time traveler
Time traveler
Worships: Rena
Wish: Becoming Pokemon Master.  Wishes for: Becoming teh Master Hater.  Wishes for: James' Victreebel & Mime Jr. Secret Identity: I am a robot. 

Post by imbehindyou » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:08 am

The new system (with SoS, SDO, and SAO) is very intersting. I feel like I sort of understand, but I get confused right after.

Like I thought beating opponents with no wins would result in higher SAO, but Rena who beat Eva and Shiori has 0 SAO, maybe because Eva and Shiori lost by close margin in their other matches.

Anyway, I think it's nice that ISML provides HTML and forum copy-paste format thing for your votes and such. Also, I like that the results are in text rather than pictures.

Thank you for all your hard work! :D
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Crisu » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:46 am

Yeah it's better to beat opponents who are able to win matches themselves.

It doesn't matter about close margins; losing is losing. ^^; Only winning and ties get you points.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
melange
Artisan
Artisan
Badges:
Worships: Iwakura Lain
Wish: White Queen & Black Queen

Post by melange » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:57 am

Blacksmith_Tony, I had actually tried to do something similar last year but it was taking too much time to do individual matches what with having to type everything out. ^^0 So I had done a basic Kyoani wins vs non-Kyoani wins comparison, though thats something I've stopped doing already. Won't have time for that either as I have to concentrate on Dashboard and Space Opera (besides busy RL).

I would recommend the brightness of the red and blue bars be reduced.. cos its a bit painful on the eyes ^^0. Use a darker shade of those colors.

I'm not sure what program ur using (looks like a more math/stats dedicated thing to me, i'm more "want it to look pretty" so all i've been using is Illustrator) but it may improve the Round Results (% of votes) graph by placing a black line down the 50% point. Easier to tell which way the marginal wins went.
The Dancing Doll of the Infirmary - Higanbana
imbehindyou
Time traveler
Time traveler
Worships: Rena
Wish: Becoming Pokemon Master.  Wishes for: Becoming teh Master Hater.  Wishes for: James' Victreebel & Mime Jr. Secret Identity: I am a robot. 

Post by imbehindyou » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:05 am

Ohhhh, so I got it the other way around. I sort of get it now. Thanks.

So C.C. and others are on the top because their opponents from Aqua 1/2 are 1-1 right now, and Kagami and others are in the middle because one of their opponents from Aqua 1/2 are 1-1 right now, and Fate and others are at the bottom because both of their opponents from Aqua are 0-2 right now.. thx!
Blacksmith_Tony
Beef bowl
Beef bowl

Post by Blacksmith_Tony » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:38 pm

melange wrote:I would recommend the brightness of the red and blue bars be reduced.. cos its a bit painful on the eyes ^^0. Use a darker shade of those colors.

I'm not sure what program ur using (looks like a more math/stats dedicated thing to me, i'm more "want it to look pretty" so all i've been using is Illustrator) but it may improve the Round Results (% of votes) graph by placing a black line down the 50% point. Easier to tell which way the marginal wins went.
Thanks for the hints, I'm not so good at "prettiness" (as you can probably tell), it's taking me a long time to find a colour combination on those graphs that I'm happy with. Even after spending ages on it I'm not sure I've got anything better. Even after decreasing the brightness on those bars it's still a little hard on the eyes, I guess I'll fiddle some more. I'll most certainly add that line at the 50% point though, it's a great idea.

As for which program I'm using, I'm using a custom built program using the ZedGraph library. I don't think there's much chance of me creating anything as awesome as your space opera with this app.