RESULTS: 2014 Aquamarine 8

Hajime Tanegashima
Familiar
Familiar
Melon Pan: 50

Re: RESULTS: 2014 Aquamarine 8

Post by Hajime Tanegashima » Sat May 03, 2014 6:47 pm

avery-kun wrote:The more likely scenario is that some DAL chars don't have a unique base of voters, but are largely sourced from HanaKana's and Mikoto's camps
Corrected to express what's what I think. Which means I think Kurumi would have done better. Not winning, but better. IMHO, this NM result simply gives more sense to Kotori's win against Kurumi and Yoshino's stomping Asuna the way she did.
#BelieveInKurumi
avery-kun
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Worships: Berserker!
Melon Pan: 135
Wish: Illya 2017!

Post by avery-kun » Sat May 03, 2014 6:53 pm

Well, I meant a large and loyal base. Given how strong and close in strength Kurumi and Kotori are and how poorly Kotori and Yoshino performed, clearly their numbers are shared and being largely influenced by voters who have stronger loyalties elsewhere. I doubt Kurumi would have done much better than Kotori.
Desufire
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Orihime Inoue
Melon Pan: 60
Wish: For sugar to not be unhealthy, and campaigning to be easier

Post by Desufire » Sat May 03, 2014 7:22 pm

I have a feeling the math captcha might have also been a factor. #ConspiracyTheorist

Also I'm slightly happy Mikoto won (even though I prefer most of the other contendors) because I won Fantasy
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2020 Female Favorite: Holo
2020 Male Favorite: Natsume Takashi
2019 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2019 Male Favorite: Arima Kōsei
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Post by maglor » Sat May 03, 2014 7:58 pm

Desufire wrote:I have a feeling the math captcha might have also been a factor. #ConspiracyTheorist

Also I'm slightly happy Mikoto won (even though I prefer most of the other contendors) because I won Fantasy
So the Vegas fantasy has corrupting effect ...
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: Erika Sendou
Melon Pan: 181
Wish: a kookie?

Post by kanohistorm » Sat May 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Desufire wrote:I have a feeling the math captcha might have also been a factor. #ConspiracyTheorist

But China is Kanade's territory. They call her "little tenshi"
Chinese not being able to do math = does not compute
spoiler alert :3
Hajime Tanegashima
Familiar
Familiar

Post by Hajime Tanegashima » Sat May 03, 2014 9:04 pm

That's what I meant, avery. I think Kurumi has a larger base than Kotori or Yoshino. Not enough to compete with the strongest in a NM but a larger one than those two. I think Kotori and Yoshino share traits with other characters with a huge fan base. They lean more to the "moe" side other popular characters have, while Kurumi doesn't share those traits. In a NM, or facing one of those opponents in a 1vs1, Kotori will problably lose a lot of her usual votes while Kurumi will probably manage better.

This is pure speculation for now, anyway. I might be wrong.
#BelieveInKurumi
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2020 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2020 Male Favorite: Ishigami Yū
2019 Female Favorite: Tōma Kazusa
2019 Male Favorite: Ayanokōji Kiyotaka
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
Wish: My definition of peace and tranquility.

Post by Momento10 » Sun May 04, 2014 2:36 am

SpoilerShow
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem
Worships: Moriya Suwako's hat
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Eugeo
2018 Female Favorite: Yamada Elf
2018 Male Favorite: Willem Kmetsch
Wish: A third season of Spice and Wolf.

Post by Kordosa » Sun May 04, 2014 5:37 am

This is something that has been annoying me. I don't see how any of the regular season results can be taken at face value (and especially not if used for statistical calculations/predictions), simply because the captchas haven't been a constant factor. They were there, and then they were changed. If they had been there when the regular season started with no changes made to it, then it would be a constant factor, and I could take the results just fine without having a cloud of doubt in the back of my mind about what kind of effects they had on the voting, and how much fluctuation there was in those effects.
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
shiraoky wrote:I'm always squeeing lol.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.
TrueSuffering
Mahou shoujo
Mahou shoujo
Worships: Kamijou Touma, God of Correcting Lives
Wish: The destruction of 88% of humanity.

Post by TrueSuffering » Sun May 04, 2014 9:59 am

Kordosa wrote:
This is something that has been annoying me. I don't see how any of the regular season results can be taken at face value (and especially not if used for statistical calculations/predictions), simply because the captchas haven't been a constant factor. They were there, and then they were changed. If they had been there when the regular season started with no changes made to it, then it would be a constant factor, and I could take the results just fine without having a cloud of doubt in the back of my mind about what kind of effects they had on the voting, and how much fluctuation there was in those effects.
Wasn't it implemented to prevent people from cheating with fake votes? It shouldn't make a difference when it comes to normal voters and captchas change all the time. It's not like the math was hard or anything anyway. Saying a simple captcha which is so widely used everywhere is stemming votes sounds kind of silly.
Zefyris
Gnome
Gnome
Worships: Midarezaki Kyouka
Wish: ISML 2015 Nova Division to have at least one character I favor.

Post by Zefyris » Sun May 04, 2014 10:24 am

maglor wrote: Since Mikoto fans have repeatedly shown that they get burned out after match like this ( for example, Mikoto had less votes compared to Itsuka Kotori and Yoshino during the seven Aquamarine rounds ), Kanade fans can quietly wait until Mikoto fans get burned out and then quietly use one of their assassins to take out Mikoto if they don't have to remove her themselves. We've seen it happen in 2012 when Eucliwood killed Mikoto in Postseason Phase II. In 2013 when Kanade destroyed Mikoto during the two Postseason matches, with Eucliwood denying Mikoto even the 3rd place. Will this happen again? Can Mikoto fans exhibit the steadfast endurance of the Hanakana girls and Eucliwood, or at least hope the time needed for them to recharge is short enough to prepare them for the next big match?

Final parting shot. Mikoto made it only because she eeked out a close victory against Aragaki Ayase. Think what that means for rest of round 7 matches. Should her fans brush off those matches to recharge for the postseason, or should they fire up for those matches in hopes to demoralize their opponents? Mikoto fans really need to be thinking carefully. It might be that some Mikoto fans realize that Aquamarine period was the best chance Mikoto had of going 7-0 thus decided to throw in the last piggy bank they had into this match.
1) That or more simply, part of Misaka fans may not see a loss as the "end of the world" as much as some other dominating fanbases, and are therefore satisfied more easily. They came back lately on every necklaces matches last year(which seems to indicate that the "burned out" you're talking about doesn't really happen: it's only when Misaka won that Misaka start to lose again) because they were not able to achieve a win despite having several time the best % and by far during the necklace matches; and they started to get noticeably less active after getting a win against kanade in Topaz.
And now they finally achieved a win in a necklace as well, and a splendid one as that. Out of all the necklace they could take, they took aquamarine from Kanade, WHILE being disadvantaged by SDO to boot. I would be very satisfied if I were them. I personally voted for Kuroyukihime, since Misaka already won one aquamarine Necklace before, but I fully approve of the result considering what happened last year. Congratulations, really. And now her fanbase is probably going to be less active again for a while.
Anyway, Misaka is loosing regularly even though she seem to be able to beat anyone if the fanbase is really trying (except Eucliwood? xD ). I think that irregularity is simply due to a difference of objective in ISML from her fans. Think about it; If you're looking at former factions, and you know that subject far better than me, several of them had a similar behavior. Negima, Rozen Maiden, they all stopped being really active after obtaining the win(s) they wanted. Or disbanded after a while without obtaining what they wanted. Misaka's faction seems to me to be closer of that, the only difference is that their interest in getting something seems renewed from time to time, especially when Kanade is involved. And even that could be simply imputed to the fact that negima and rozen faction were born in a day when the number of ISML voters was in full expansion, meaning that even if they wanted to try getting something again the next year, they didn't have the number required anymore; whereas Misaka fans merely started getting results during a time where the number of ISML voters reached numbers close of what they currently are.
If anything, it's a faction like hanakana which seems unnatural to me, as they won, a lot, but don't seem to have a final goal at all and therefore keep trying to win more and more when they already won all there is to win. At least, I don't understand what they really want. It's pretty much veni, vidi, vici for them since quite a while in ISML. It's one thing to keep Kanade as one of the strongest contestant, and another one to make the effort of keeping her above all others.

2)From your words, it seems like it would be better to have a Misaka which strength is constantly at the top, rivaling with Kanade maybe, rather than the current situation. Or at the very least, that her fans are wishing for that. but from my point of view, I heavily disagree about wanting to see Misaka becoming such a contestant. Right now, her inconsistency doubled to her ability to defeat Kanade makes for a far more NEEDED contestant in ISML. Because she currently brings surprise and upset on a place (the top) where currently it's very very difficult to bring. She doesn't dominate as she still lose regularly, yet she stop other in their domination. The worse thing that we could have is a single contestant dominating the top and being completely unreachable. This makes for very boring/predictable results a soon as that character is involved. And having two character dominating instead of one only make things interesting when they're fighting each other, the rest of the time it's just a second character with boring/predictable results. But having inconsistencies like Misaka? The match between her and kanade still are interesting as she already proved that she can win; and several other matches are interesting as well because she's not always as strong.
I like it better like that, as I don't want a second Kanade; but there's a need of someone to create surprise results even when Kanade is involved. Current Misaka's results are in this very satisfying for me. I don't mind her losing several matches this year, including to Kanade. Most definitely at least a part of her fans thinks otherwise; but in the end, this year we' may be able to avoid every single repeat winner during the year. And this is all thanks to Misaka fans efforts. I didn't think they could do it, and was very pessimistic about Aquamarine and Amethyst 2014. I was proven wrong, and I'm quite happy to have been proven wrong as well.
Jiharo
Void mage
Void mage

Post by Jiharo » Sun May 04, 2014 10:57 am

Zefyris wrote:The worse thing that we could have is a single contestant dominating the top and being completely unreachable.
I disagree. While it may be boring, it shows how the world have finally unite in their opinion.

Can we move on from Kanade? ALL I see everywhere is Kanade this, Kanade that. Anti-Kanade this, anti-Kanade that. It's boring. Lets talk about other interesting things. Focusing on one subject is gonna be boring.
Zefyris
Gnome
Gnome
Worships: Midarezaki Kyouka
Wish: ISML 2015 Nova Division to have at least one character I favor.

Post by Zefyris » Sun May 04, 2014 11:05 am

I disagree. While it may be boring, it shows how the world have finally unite in their opinion.
Looking at the 2013 grand finale, that's extremely far from reality. Almost everyone seems to prefer someone else than kanade.

Can we move on from Kanade? ALL I see everywhere is Kanade this, Kanade that. Anti-Kanade this, anti-Kanade that. It's boring. Lets talk about other interesting things. Focusing on one subject is gonna be boring.
I was mostly talking about Misaka's performance. Since this time around, Misaka's performance is linked to Kanade, can't hep to mention it. Also, you know best how to not have subject about Kanade all the time, right? I wouldn't ask better.
Jiharo
Void mage
Void mage

Post by Jiharo » Sun May 04, 2014 11:24 am

Zefyris wrote:
Looking at the 2013 grand finale, that's extremely far from reality. Almost everyone seems to prefer someone else than kanade.
We have not reached that point yet. Kanade can still be shot down by Mikoto. We haven't found that elusive girl that will unite all the voters.
Zefyris wrote:
I was mostly talking about Misaka's performance. Since this time around, Misaka's performance is linked to Kanade, can't hep to mention it. Also, you know best how to not have subject about Kanade all the time, right? I wouldn't ask better.
Well I'm hoping Amethyst for a start we'll see less of her name. People need to talk about other girls and not leave them out, as if they weren't part of ISML.

So many top tier girls to talk about: Eucliwood Hellscythe, Gokou Ruri, Shiina Mashiro, Aragaki Ayase, Takanashi Rikka, Kuroyukihime, Itsuka Kotori, Tokisaki Kurumi, Yoshino, Asuna etc...

I hope to see people discuss more about them and not just you-know-who and you-know-who rival.
Momo
State alchemist
State alchemist
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Akemi Homura
Melon Pan: 132
Wish: Yotsuba-chan♥

Post by Momo » Sun May 04, 2014 12:28 pm

Tenshi GG. Too bad there is no lesser of great evils and they're still way too stupidly strong: pathetic numbers across the board.
Numph wai ;_;

Revenge Time~
Kudos to my amazing Secret Santa ♥
Sphire
Space pirate
Space pirate
Wish: Love & Peace

Post by Sphire » Sun May 04, 2014 2:33 pm

Jiharo wrote:
Well I'm hoping Amethyst for a start we'll see less of her name. People need to talk about other girls and not leave them out, as if they weren't part of ISML.

So many top tier girls to talk about: Eucliwood Hellscythe, Gokou Ruri, Shiina Mashiro, Aragaki Ayase, Takanashi Rikka, Kuroyukihime, Itsuka Kotori, Tokisaki Kurumi, Yoshino, Asuna etc...

I hope to see people discuss more about them and not just you-know-who and you-know-who rival.
Where were you last year? All those girls got plenty of talk last year, especially after Aquamarine. Mashiro went undefeated in Nova, she won the circlet in convincing fashion too, Ayase went from Tier 7 to Tier 1, Kuroneko topped Stella, Kuroyukihime kept being weird....

Plenty of them got talked about last year. Mikoto got plenty of talk last year too, but that's only because she kept losing necklaces. That's not even considering Asuna, who won Ruby, and is probably one of the girls in current Nova who has a decent voting block. Seeing Ayase last year was the most fun for me. It was incredibly sad seeing Ayase and Kuroyukihime get thrown aside for repeat champions last year in post-season. Mashiro losing to Eucliwood just cementing Stella's strength.

It's topical, these girls will get their time. DAL will get their time. Hell, they've gotten plenty of talk so far. The necklace match just hit us with a reality we didn't want to believe, they look so much weaker than Stella. Amethyst R7 will generate talk too. But Amethyst will still have talk of Kanade, because unless there's a massive SDO disadvantage, she'll be a favourite for the necklace. Really, much like last year, I kinda expect Mikoto, Kanade and Kuroneko to get a necklace each. Mikoto didn't get one last year, which benefited Nova. It'll be interesting to see who the Mikoto fans vote for. Maybe they'll always vote for the strongest necklace contestant not named Kanade...
Bloodborne AwesomeShow
avery-kun
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImageImage

Post by avery-kun » Sun May 04, 2014 3:23 pm

Sphire wrote:It'll be interesting to see who the Mikoto fans vote for. Maybe they'll always vote for the strongest necklace contestant not named Kanade...
What?! Who told you our plan? XP
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Sun May 04, 2014 10:13 pm

Momento10 wrote:
SpoilerShow
Nice Yukina poster
Jiharo
Void mage
Void mage

Post by Jiharo » Mon May 05, 2014 4:53 am

Sphire wrote:
Jiharo wrote:

Where were you last year? All those girls got plenty of talk last year, especially after Aquamarine. Mashiro went undefeated in Nova, she won the circlet in convincing fashion too, Ayase went from Tier 7 to Tier 1, Kuroneko topped Stella, Kuroyukihime kept being weird....

Plenty of them got talked about last year. Mikoto got plenty of talk last year too, but that's only because she kept losing necklaces. That's not even considering Asuna, who won Ruby, and is probably one of the girls in current Nova who has a decent voting block. Seeing Ayase last year was the most fun for me. It was incredibly sad seeing Ayase and Kuroyukihime get thrown aside for repeat champions last year in post-season. Mashiro losing to Eucliwood just cementing Stella's strength.

It's topical, these girls will get their time. DAL will get their time. Hell, they've gotten plenty of talk so far. The necklace match just hit us with a reality we didn't want to believe, they look so much weaker than Stella. Amethyst R7 will generate talk too. But Amethyst will still have talk of Kanade, because unless there's a massive SDO disadvantage, she'll be a favourite for the necklace. Really, much like last year, I kinda expect Mikoto, Kanade and Kuroneko to get a necklace each. Mikoto didn't get one last year, which benefited Nova. It'll be interesting to see who the Mikoto fans vote for. Maybe they'll always vote for the strongest necklace contestant not named Kanade...
You said it yourself: AFTER Aquamarine, where Kanade is already out of the picture for the rest of RS. Why aren't people talking about them when Kanade is still in the picture? It made it sound like so long Kanade is still around, these girls are not important. People should talk more about them WHILE Kanade is in and not when she's out.
avery-kun
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
ImageImageImage

Post by avery-kun » Mon May 05, 2014 5:27 am

Sphire wrote:
I think we will see DAL's strength moving forward. Mikoto is a proxy for messing with Kanade, there is nobody else who can troll Tenshi like Mikoto, its only natural that DAL would give up this chance to jump on the bandwagon. Come Amethyst, hell will come down with all three DAL in the showdown. Kanade will underestimate their strength and be forced to concede and probably take a necklace she never won before.

I for one would love to see Kanade in a Ruby poster and Kurumi in Amyethst. Its so hilariously backwards.
Desufire
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Orihime Inoue
Melon Pan: 60
Wish: For sugar to not be unhealthy, and campaigning to be easier

Post by Desufire » Mon May 05, 2014 6:30 am

Kurumi Amethyst would be perfect.