Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Re: RESULTS: 2017 Aquamarine Necklace

Post by maglor » Wed May 24, 2017 9:17 am

IGNITE wrote:Female-IRV
Image > Image > Image > Image > Image > Image > Image > Image
Female-Round 1

Male-IRV
Male-Round 1

In the end, not much of a difference was made between IRV and first-choice.
The reason was many people used faulty tactics in attempts to game the IRV rules by only picking one or two characters. In IRV setup, whoever you list after your most favored character cannot hurt that character you favor the most. Therefore, it is totally a waste of the influence a vote can have by not listing your 2nd and 3rd choices, since it probably is better to help your 2nd choice instead of not helping when your primary choice has dropped out. As result, amount of movements were closer to half instead of most of the votes from the eliminated characters. There was a moment during voting when we received relatively higher proportion of the votes having more than three characters ranked. When I did the interim after seeing this shift in voters' behavior, the result suggested that Mashiro was winning due to her receiving lots of 3rd and 4th votes. This trend didn't last, and again had small number ranked ballots, with some votes that had a single character selected as "8th" rank, and abstain on every other candidate ( Since among the 8 candidates, it is obvious the selected character was the most favored, thus the vote counted as 1st place vote for the character after all the abstains were removed ).

The real beauty of IRV is that it forces fans to have dialogue with other fans if they want to improve their favored candidate's chance. Having their character be listed as 3rd or 4th, instead of not even be ranked, can easily be the difference maker in a race with 8 or more contestant. I hope fans now realize this and become more friendly with other fans.
IGNITE
School nurse
School nurse
Worships: Air
Melon Pan: 268

Post by IGNITE » Wed May 24, 2017 9:48 am

maglor wrote:
IGNITE wrote:Female-IRV
Female-Round 1

Male-IRV
Male-Round 1

In the end, not much of a difference was made between IRV and first-choice.
The reason was many people used faulty tactics in attempts to game the IRV rules by only picking one or two characters. In IRV setup, whoever you list after your most favored character cannot hurt that character you favor the most. Therefore, it is totally a waste of the influence a vote can have by not listing your 2nd and 3rd choices, since it probably is better to help your 2nd choice instead of not helping when your primary choice has dropped out. As result, amount of movements were closer to half instead of most of the votes from the eliminated characters. There was a moment during voting when we received relatively higher proportion of the votes having more than three characters ranked. When I did the interim after seeing this shift in voters' behavior, the result suggested that Mashiro was winning due to her receiving lots of 3rd and 4th votes. This trend didn't last, and again had small number ranked ballots, with some votes that had a single character selected as "8th" rank, and abstain on every other candidate ( Since among the 8 candidates, it is obvious the selected character was the most favored, thus the vote counted as 1st place vote for the character after all the abstains were removed ).

The real beauty of IRV is that it forces fans to have dialogue with other fans if they want to improve their favored candidate's chance. Having their character be listed as 3rd or 4th, instead of not even be ranked, can easily be the difference maker in a race with 8 or more contestant. I hope fans now realize this and become more friendly with other fans.
Thank you for your explanation, I see the reason now.
"The dragon remembers."
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:
Melon Pan: 55
2018 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2018 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma
2017 Female Favorite: Katō Megumi
2017 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma

Post by Homura » Wed May 24, 2017 9:53 am

maglor wrote:with some votes that had a single character selected as "8th" rank, and abstain on every other candidate ( Since among the 8 candidates, it is obvious the selected character was the most favored, thus the vote counted as 1st place vote for the character after all the abstains were removed ).
I think this is something that needs to be clarified in the rule section next time. Those votes apparently served as antivoting (like "I don't care about who will win, but just not her!"). I don't know if some of them would cry after knowing how their votes were treated at the end. They did that because they didn't fully understand the rule, while such a mistake wouldn't happen under the normal voting method. Yesterday I actually thought about such a situation when translating the instruction, but I thought those votes would be treated as invalid and be discarded.
WankoMC
[3,14% Pasta]
[3,14% Pasta]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: 46MA
Melon Pan: 376
2018 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2018 Male Favorite: Reg
2017 Female Favorite: Watanabe Yō
2017 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
Wish: Stop bullying me. Yes I'm looking at you Kholdy.

Post by WankoMC » Wed May 24, 2017 10:01 am

Homura wrote:
maglor wrote:with some votes that had a single character selected as "8th" rank, and abstain on every other candidate ( Since among the 8 candidates, it is obvious the selected character was the most favored, thus the vote counted as 1st place vote for the character after all the abstains were removed ).
I think this is something that needs to be clarified in the rule section next time. Those votes apparently served as antivoting (like "I don't care about who will win, but just not her!"). I don't know if some of them would cry after knowing how their votes were treated at the end. They did that because they didn't fully understand the rule, while such a mistake wouldn't happen under the normal voting method. Yesterday I actually thought about such a situation when translating the instruction, but I thought those votes would be treated as invalid and be discarded.
This is why I actually tried to include examples in my translation. I feel that most people who first encounter the method are likely to be confused no matter how well we try to word it ._.
Hide your ass Shirokuma. It's slavery season
Chibasa
[You can (not) Zura]
[You can (not) Zura]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Yamada Naoko
Melon Pan: 120
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Kyon
2017 Female Favorite: Kasumigaoka Utaha
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
Wish: Not disappointing the ones I love.
Successful ISML 2017. Humans living in harmony.

Post by Chibasa » Wed May 24, 2017 10:38 am

I'm very disappointed by Megumin and Okabe's votes.

But seeing Spike and Asuka being eliminated was the hardest :(

At least, this year, I can say I voted for Pendant winner !
Secret Santax Time
much more stuff than ToadyShow

ImageImageImageImageImage
Hikarin is the best
After facing the rain, you'll become an even cuter rainbow !Keep believe in yourself. <3
RockmanXt
Rogue
Rogue
Melon Pan: 51

Post by RockmanXt » Wed May 24, 2017 11:00 am

Hmm, I like this new necklace scoring system. It's better than SDO, PSAO or something like that which use calculating formula, which can be manipulated in the previous round, and ruined that match result in the process.

Still, I can call this is the most Kanade-liked domination since Kanade her own introduced. I still want to see how much power that Rem and Re:Zero faction have till the end of the year.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Wed May 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Hoahmmmm result

Except for the fact that now we know these shit taste fanbases aren't idiots who would actually vote for more than 2-3 characters when they have a favorite to win, too.

And except for the fact that Akishit is out of seasonals.
maglor wrote:
The real beauty of IRV is that it forces fans to have dialogue with other fans if they want to improve their favored candidate's chance.
But that already happened before you put this system anyway.

ps.: I really need to find a new meme that suits boring result.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
HasbeenaHibiki
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
Worships: セニョール・ハズビーナ, ティエリア・アーデ, ダークライ,天ノ川 きらら,紅城 トワ
Melon Pan: 201
2018 Female Favorite: Kurumizawa Satanichia McDowell
2018 Male Favorite: Satoshi
2017 Female Favorite: Yazawa Nico
2017 Male Favorite: Reigen Arataka
Wish: A precure making it in ISML and a very popular male Saimoe. Also a Mucha Lucha anime. Darkrai in Saimoe

Post by HasbeenaHibiki » Wed May 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Good result due to Nico not being eliminated yet mainly.
ImageImage
renfire
Crimson lord
Crimson lord
Melon Pan: 105
2017 Female Favorite: Sonō Momoka
2017 Male Favorite: Kazehaya Kamito

Post by renfire » Wed May 24, 2017 3:09 pm

It takes a while before I realize that we can't trick IRV system like Maglor said. I rank all the characters now unless I don't really know the characters.
Grish
[Erithacus rubecula]
[Erithacus rubecula]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: birds
Melon Pan: 101
2018 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2018 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
2017 Female Favorite: Sakura Kyōko
2017 Male Favorite: Kurapika

Post by Grish » Wed May 24, 2017 3:49 pm

Both my loves survived!

Even Ginko lives for now. Alas for Asuka though OTL
octopus-sensei victory is good o3ob
MALTumblr
niwa87
Wise wolf
Wise wolf
Badges:
Worships: CPU Candidates
Melon Pan: 97
2018 Female Favorite: Teruhashi Kokomi
2018 Male Favorite: Saiki Kusuo
2017 Female Favorite: Kirima Sharo
2017 Male Favorite: Saiki Kusuo
Wish: My wishes come true...

Post by niwa87 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:47 pm

maglor wrote: The reason was many people used faulty tactics in attempts to game the IRV rules by only picking one or two characters. In IRV setup, whoever you list after your most favored character cannot hurt that character you favor the most. Therefore, it is totally a waste of the influence a vote can have by not listing your 2nd and 3rd choices, since it probably is better to help your 2nd choice instead of not helping when your primary choice has dropped out. As result, amount of movements were closer to half instead of most of the votes from the eliminated characters. There was a moment during voting when we received relatively higher proportion of the votes having more than three characters ranked. When I did the interim after seeing this shift in voters' behavior, the result suggested that Mashiro was winning due to her receiving lots of 3rd and 4th votes. This trend didn't last, and again had small number ranked ballots, with some votes that had a single character selected as "8th" rank, and abstain on every other candidate ( Since among the 8 candidates, it is obvious the selected character was the most favored, thus the vote counted as 1st place vote for the character after all the abstains were removed ).

An offender here. Sorry about that. ._. I don't even know how this new voting system operate, heck I don't even know what IRV is and did not realize/surprised that we use new new voting method for necklace round. I think a lot of people also don't know that. That is why I choose to pick only a character I want to win.
Please excuse my lousy English...
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by maglor » Thu May 25, 2017 1:41 am

Before people forget about this, I like to offer praises to Avery-kun, RegalStar, Hikari-chan, Chibasa, Lulu, Shimion84, Fuijiwara, and all the other staff members that my senile mind has temporarily forgotten to mention for their hard work involving necklace matches. We were doing something totally new this year regarding the necklace, and though we are far from perfect, I believe we did manage to do what was needed. Everyone learned a lot from this experience, and I like to offer my sincere gratitude and praises for them.
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:

Post by Homura » Thu May 25, 2017 2:38 am

maglor my question, ISML as a competition will be like today's mobile apps that constantly have noticeable changes as time goes and never really be settled, or will be like some well known competitions such as World Cup, Grand Slam, etc that don't have noticeable changes for a long time in the near future (for example by 2020)? Well, since future is unpredictable, at least what is your ideal of how ISML should be?
Keima
Planeswalker
Planeswalker
Worships: Black Rock Shooter (BRS)
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Female Favorite: Isla
2017 Male Favorite: Katsuragi Keima
Wish: Still want even more professional quality Vocaloid events in the U.S.

Post by Keima » Thu May 25, 2017 6:47 am

WankoMC wrote:
Homura wrote:
This is why I actually tried to include examples in my translation. I feel that most people who first encounter the method are likely to be confused no matter how well we try to word it ._.
Well if it makes you guys feel any better I for one DID take note of the instructions and the example provided. I do have to admit though I'm pretty anal retentive when it comes to things like instructions. Kind of a habit carried over from my day job.

I'm pretty satisfied with all the results. I wanted both Rem and KoroSensei to win because I just found it too comical to see them as a pair. Disappointed Chitanda san lost though, but she was obviously the underdog in that match so shouldn't be surprised. I am kind of surprised Sora lost to Lelouche though.
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by maglor » Thu May 25, 2017 8:55 am

Homura wrote:maglor my question, ISML as a competition will be like today's mobile apps that constantly have noticeable changes as time goes and never really be settled, or will be like some well known competitions such as World Cup, Grand Slam, etc that don't have noticeable changes for a long time in the near future (for example by 2020)? Well, since future is unpredictable, at least what is your ideal of how ISML should be?
The examples you gave are all close to 100 years old, with well established and explored boundaries. ISML is just in 10th year, and it is still feeling out where the boundaries can be and whether it can be maintained. I dare say we still don't know what are the possibilities and limitations. It my hope that we settle into what is the optimal set up, but that optimal depends on who we have and technical capabilities. Let's hope that we discover a stable set up and procedure which can withstand constant change of personnel and technology.
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:

Post by Homura » Thu May 25, 2017 9:49 am

@maglor Thanks for the response, it sounds encouraging.
Hetaliafan09
Cherry blossom
Cherry blossom
Worships: Gilgamesh
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Female Favorite: C.C.
2017 Male Favorite: Monkey D. Luffy
Wish: Become a member of the Straw Hat crew.

Post by Hetaliafan09 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:21 pm

ALL HAIL LELOUCH! ALL HAIL LELOUCH!

R.I.P Shizuru and Asuka -_-
~Baumkuchen-kun~
Detective
Detective
Badges:
Melon Pan: 57
Wish: The best for all characters and to continue to see Sakurasou and No Game No Life as a growing community

Post by ~Baumkuchen-kun~ » Fri May 26, 2017 4:58 am

Maybe I sound inept when typing this, but will we see the necklace posters? If so, how soon can we expect them?
#GiveMashiroWhatSheDeserves
ImageImageImage
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:

Post by Homura » Fri May 26, 2017 6:10 am

~Baumkuchen-kun~ wrote:Maybe I sound inept when typing this, but will we see the necklace posters? If so, how soon can we expect them?
"H. Posters for the Necklace/Pendant will be available on the Website no later than one (1) week after the Round's results are released."

According to the Necklace and Pendant Showdown section in the 2017 charter.
Hikari-chan
Kholdy's Master
Kholdy's Master
Badges:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Worships: cordelia ♥ red (transistor) ♥
Melon Pan: 110
2017 Female Favorite: Furukawa Nagisa
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
Wish: being able to make everyone around me happier in some way

Post by Hikari-chan » Sat May 27, 2017 9:48 pm

Homura wrote:
~Baumkuchen-kun~ wrote:Maybe I sound inept when typing this, but will we see the necklace posters? If so, how soon can we expect them?
"H. Posters for the Necklace/Pendant will be available on the Website no later than one (1) week after the Round's results are released."

According to the Necklace and Pendant Showdown section in the 2017 charter.
I usually have Kholdy do the final touchups on the posters and he was on vacation, so they were later than I wanted them to be since I know people get anxious about them. That being said, the charter does give us that leeway in case these things come up, so some periods may have posters sooner than other ones or maybe even up to the one week deadline. We do really appreciate your patience though, so thanks for that! The posters are done now though, so they'll hopefully be up on the main site once RegalStar gets a chance. :D
fe id: 2364478633 | add me! c:
mal | twitter