Euphony
Beef bowl
Beef bowl
Worships: ojou-samas
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Male Favorite: Usui Takumi

Re: RESULTS: 2017 Aquamarine Necklace

Post by Euphony » Sun May 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Confirmed the IRV calculations of the Necklace and Pendant matches. Found no errors. Thanks to maglor for the data.
my totalsShow
Using the same data, I scored the match using the Borda method. Totals are spoilered below with IRV Round 1 for comparison:
comparison of IRV and Borda resultsShow
I counted the points based strictly on the rankings on each ballot. Examples of how I counted are spoilered below.
scoring examples for Borda countShow
  • 00200031:
    • Candidate #3 is ranked 2nd, receiving 7 points.
    • Candidate #7 is ranked 3rd, receiving 6 points.
    • Candidate #8 is ranked 1st, receiving 8 points.
    • The rest are unranked and receive 0 points.
  • 05000100:
    • Candidate #2 is ranked 5th, receiving 4 points.
    • Candidate #6 is ranked 1st, receiving 8 points.
    • The rest are unranked, receiving 0 points.
  • 17863245:
    • Candidate #1: 1st rank, 8 points.
    • Candidate #2: 7th rank, 2 points.
    • Candidate #3: 8th rank, 1 point.
    • Candidate #4: 6th rank, 3 points.
    • Candidate #5: 3rd rank, 6 points.
    • Candidate #6: 2nd rank, 7 points.
    • Candidate #7: 4th rank, 5 points.
    • Candidate #8: 5th rank, 4 points.
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Post by maglor » Sun May 28, 2017 11:34 pm

Thank you. I suspect the difference between Borda Count and IRV is mainly due to having many voters not fully understanding the process nor how their vote might impact the result. Therefore, I actually suspect that IRV "ranking" and Borda Count ranking to be more similar in the following periods.
Euphony
Beef bowl
Beef bowl
Worships: ojou-samas
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Male Favorite: Usui Takumi

Post by Euphony » Mon May 29, 2017 2:32 pm

maglor wrote:The real beauty of IRV is that it forces fans to have dialogue with other fans if they want to improve their favored candidate's chance. Having their character be listed as 3rd or 4th, instead of not even be ranked, can easily be the difference maker in a race with 8 or more contestant. I hope fans now realize this and become more friendly with other fans.

Code: Select all

that "beauty"... the opportunity, significance of indicating multiple preferences... not unique to IRV... 
extent of IRV's "beauty"... disappointing...
"forces fans to have dialogue"... dissimilar to CAPTCHA force... lacks obligatory forum post on the ballot... rather, "allows"... no obligation... 
allow dialogue... not unique to IRV...
I might say that the beauty of allowing for multiple preferences is that it reduces a fan's resistance to compromise and increases the value of campaigning and dialogue.
Whereas this beauty is not unique to IRV, nor is it particularly great of IRV, I must continue to raise the possibility of a range-based system if even greater opportunities for compromise and dialogue are desired.
maglor wrote:I suspect the difference between Borda Count and IRV is mainly due to having many voters not fully understanding the process nor how their vote might impact the result.
Agreed that many voters did not fully understand, on the basis that so many lacked ordered rankings. Disappointingly many. I beg that future processes are somehow made foolproof...