Aquamarine Necklace Winner

Do you approve of Akiyama Mio winning Aquamarine?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:36 am

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 45
Juice
Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: To successfully guide students on their path.

Re: Aquamarine Necklace Winner

Post by Juice » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Kiopi wrote:Here's an analogy (not entirely accurate, but whatever makes visualizing easier).

Character A is undefeated by beating all lions.
Character B is undefeated by beating all rabbits.

The stronger character gets first place. So who is stronger? Character A or B?

PS: Mio winning is already expected. Approved.
Then there are those that beat "Taigers" but still aren't strong enough. :P
New Saimoe Podcast!
GTO--an inspiration to my next stage in life.
MosoChen
Kunoichi
Kunoichi

Post by MosoChen » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Game8910 wrote:I approve

inb4ban from ISML IRC

Also Im sure people are already aware that the KyoAni Empire is no longer the dominant force on ISML, they have the numbers, but not the territories.

Current Top 5:
Akiyama Mio (KyoAni)
Misaka Mikoto (JC Staff)
Shana (JC Staff)
Katsura Hinagiku (JC Staff)
Aisaka Taiga (JC Staff)

JC Staff is now IMO the ultimate moe maker industry at this moment

Hey, guy. Are you kidding? All Saimoe Contest is for the individual character, not for whole STAFF or company.
In fact, J.C. Staff has more capitals than Kyoto Animation.
Last edited by MosoChen on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage Image
Juice
Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge
Wish: To successfully guide students on their path.

Post by Juice » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:54 pm

Welcome to ISML, the place where EVERY statistical unit is cut, sliced, wafered, slit, torn apart, shredded, melded, welded, punctured, shanked, decompressed, melted, compressed, vaporized, ionized, frozen, solidified, and goes through uncertainty to make sure it exists long enough to make a case in point before realizing that the point could not make sense if it came from the unit.

ISML. Where Physics, Stats, and Moe become ONE.
New Saimoe Podcast!
GTO--an inspiration to my next stage in life.
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

Post by chaosprophet » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:24 pm

ratratrat098 wrote:...Not yet... Ok, I give up...

Hmm... Maybe on the next period I will ask my friends in a otaku-streamers to participate here. (especially those love Misaka). Go fight Misaka Mikoto!!!
Because Mio already was first according to the tiebrakers we use stated in the rules:
E. Contestants may not have the same rank at any point in the tournament. If Contestants have the same amount of League Points after a given Round, tiebreaker procedures will be applied in the following order:
1. Greater number of wins
2. Winner of the tied Contestants' head-to-head match, if applicable
a) This is calculated only at the end of each Period and at the end of the Regular Season.
3. Greater Strength of Schedule of Defeated Opponents (SDO)
(...)
So Mio, Misaka, Shana and Hina all had the same amount of league points so we start going through the list of tie brakers:

1. Greater number of wins
All had the same number of wins so they're still tied by this point (this tiebraker would work in a situation like a character has one win and three ties while the other has 2 wins, that way both would have 6 points, but one would have more wins).

2. Winner of the tied Contestants' head-to-head match, if applicable
a) This is calculated only at the end of each Period and at the end of the Regular Season.

As this is the end of a period then this tiebraker would need to be put into motion. But none of those characters faced each other (if they had, then some of them wouldn't be undefeated in the period). So we go to the next tiebraker.

3. Greater Strength of Schedule of Defeated Opponents (SDO)
Now each one of those 4 have different value of SDO so they're ranked by it and the others tiebrakers aren't needed for breaking this tier.

Now the reasoning behind SDO being used as a tiebraker is the one Kiopi just explained. Having a bigger SDO translate to defeating stronger opponents into the period, being more worth of the necklace then someone who defeated weaker ones.
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:40 pm

Mio's SDO (78) > Misaka's SDO (78)
This is in error. The actual is this:
Mio's SDO (78) > Misaka's SDO (75)

Mio, Misaka, Shana, and Hinagiku technically all tied having not lost a single match yet. Mio's win is based on the strength of her opponents. In the end Mio's opponents won more matches than Misaka's oppenents (and a good deal more than Shana or Hinagiku's opponents), Thus, because she had the harder opponents, Mio had to work harder to win...thus the necklace is hers.

Otherwise, the necklace would be Shana's.
Space Opera
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm tempted to give some of these people the ability to edit post so they don't have to point out every single minor obvious error to make themselves look smart.

But that means I also have to give minty that ability, so no.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Team Rocket Elite
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Bernkastel
Wish: dried plums to go with the tea.

Post by Team Rocket Elite » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Kiopi wrote:Here's an analogy (not entirely accurate, but whatever makes visualizing easier).

Character A is undefeated by beating all lions.
Character B is undefeated by beating all rabbits.

The stronger character gets first place. So who is stronger? Character A or B?

PS: Mio winning is already expected. Approved.
That doesn't say anything about who is stronger. It shows A is stronger than lions and B is stronger than a rabbit but tells us nothing about who is stronger between A and B. A could be a city buster while B is a planet buster and you would get those results despite B being much stronger.
ithekro wrote:
Mio's SDO (78) > Misaka's SDO (78)
This is in error. The actual is this:
Mio's SDO (78) > Misaka's SDO (75)
Fixed. In my original post at least.
KholdStare88 wrote:I'm tempted to give some of these people the ability to edit post so they don't have to point out every single minor obvious error to make themselves look smart.

Or I could learn to proofread my posts. >_>
A miracle that you believe in when you know it won't happen......... is hope.
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

Post by chaosprophet » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:37 pm

Team Rocket Elite wrote:That doesn't say anything about who is stronger. It shows A is stronger than lions and B is stronger than a rabbit but tells us nothing about who is stronger between A and B. A could be a city buster while B is a planet buster and you would get those results despite B being much stronger.
Of course the only way to know who is stronger is to have an actual match between the two. The staff does it's best to make a more even and fair schedule for all characters but that's never going to be perfect. If you want to know which is the strongest of all, wait for the end of the regular season when everyone will have faced everyone. In my opinion SDO is a fair enought tiebreaker for the unfortunately small amount of data that is one period.
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:10 am

Team Rocket Elite wrote:
KholdStare88 wrote:I'm tempted to give some of these people the ability to edit post so they don't have to point out every single minor obvious error to make themselves look smart.

Well now you guy know the reason why I don't post my stats anymore. People care more about a typo in a name or some other rather insignificant things than the stat themselves, so after a while, it's just not worth it.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Team Rocket Elite
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:

Post by Team Rocket Elite » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:37 am

KholdStare88 wrote:
Team Rocket Elite wrote:

Well now you guy know the reason why I don't post my stats anymore. People care more about a typo in a name or some other rather insignificant things than the stat themselves, so after a while, it's just not worth it.
It's actually to opposite for me. I didn't think anybody would both reading my posts but apparently people do if they are pointing out errors.
Alexander
Translator
Translator
Badges:
Melon Pan: 92
Wish: It's a secret

Post by Alexander » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:53 am

KholdStare88 wrote:
Team Rocket Elite wrote:

I actually have no idea how to read those stats, so I can't say much on them.
ImageImage
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:20 am

I feel like I was destined to click that "No" button.

Not that I hate Mio or anything (irritation over KyoAni milking her notwithstanding), just that I'd prefer seeing Mikoto and Yuki winning it instead.
KholdStare88 wrote:
Team Rocket Elite wrote:

As Zetsubou-sensei once said, it's a tendency of people to pay more attention to trivial details than the main subjects, but you gotta admit it was pretty funny that time when you entered that name tw- /shot.
SpoilerShow
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:08 am

i only pointed it out because it has been quoted many times, and seemed to be a source of confusion.
Space Opera
Team Rocket Elite
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:

Post by Team Rocket Elite » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:16 am

ithekro wrote:i only pointed it out because it has been quoted many times, and seemed to be a source of confusion.
I defintely have no problems with your correction. SDO is confusing enough without having to deal with mistakes in my explanation.
SelecaoIX
Ninja cadet
Ninja cadet
Worships: Misaka Mikoto

Post by SelecaoIX » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:24 am

Statistically legitimate win or not, it still pisses me off that Misaka lost after being in first the whole time; especially seeing as she lost due to chance.
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:07 pm

It is slightly better than a planned loss like we were getting last year with strategic voting in the later half...usually in favor of the Rozen Maidens.
Space Opera
Zorya
Dango
Dango

Post by Zorya » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:51 am

SelecaoIX wrote:Statistically legitimate win or not, it still pisses me off that Misaka lost after being in first the whole time; especially seeing as she lost due to chance.
Fans of Shana have the same reason to complain about Misaka.
Misaka was in the first place for a long time because of SDO, and lost because of SDO at last round, so it's fair enough.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
CrimsonFallingStar
Crimson lord
Crimson lord

Post by CrimsonFallingStar » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:41 pm

I just say take it as it is. Neckalce periods are, though fun hype up, pretty irrelevant as far as statistics as a whole, and even less relevant when it comes to who makes the finals. I mean yes, my top 2 girls are undefeated and in 2nd and 3rd place, one happens to be dominating in Vote Differential, and the other is nearly statistically equal to Mio, but still no dice. Do I believe that Mikoto, Shana, and Hinagiku are in any way doing WORSE than Mio? Absolutely not. All 4 of them are kicking butt. Realistically, it would be super lame to have 4 necklace winners, so the line has to be drawn somewhere. Now, the quesiton of whether SDO should be that line is somewhat dubious, but I'm not part of the staff, so we ought to accept graciously what they give us, because they slave their asses off to make this tournament as smooth as it is.
bluemage
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Worships: Reimu Hakurei
Wish: A happy and peaceful life.

Post by bluemage » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:23 pm

I like Shana a great deal more than Mio, but I don't mind Mio winning the necklace. It probably would have happened somewhere else down the road.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
#1<---------- ISML 2012 Top 8! ---------->#8 ---------- #8<---------- ISML 2012 Bottom 8! ---------->#16
Character Cards & Signature Slivers Made by Marinara, Hikari-chan & melange
Participant from 2008-2012
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:44 am

After seeing K-On!! and The Dissapearance of Haruhi Suzumiya....I'm glad that match was when it was. Because it gave Mio a fair chance.

Nagato Yuki (both v1.0 and v2.0) will moe your socks off.
Space Opera