Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Bernkastel
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: dried plums to go with the tea.

Re: RESULTS: 2011 Topaz 8

Post by Team Rocket Elite » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:16 pm

The pieces of Chaos are all present. Now I'll reconstruct them for you.

The Kanade fanbase took no chances with the Necklace Showdown. After working tirelessly to boost Kanade's SDO, they made their final move to give Kanade a large win over her opposition. A lot of effort was put into promoting a foregone conclusion. Topaz was not the same as Aquamarine. Kanade was never going to fail to acquire the Topaz Necklace.

This ends the reconstruction of the Topaz Period.
_____
Victorique de Blois
Secretary
ISML Seitokai
A miracle that you believe in when you know it won't happen......... is hope.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:32 pm

loudmouth wrote:Both of the periods so far were slanted in favor of a certain character winning, although if Azusa had beaten Mikoto then Kanade probably would've taken Aquamarine. There probably isn't a single contestant who can beat Kanade right now, which means she'll almost definitely have a 7-0 period every time. So SDO is always going to be the deciding factor in her necklace chances. She was pretty much guaranteed a necklace eventually. It's silly that people were complaining about the fact that she didn't get it in Aquamarine. Kanade faced the weakest girl from each tier in Aquamarine so it was natural for her to have low SDO for the period. In Topaz however, she faced all the stronger girls from each tier, which gave her a higher SDO than we've ever seen since periods became 7 rounds. Necklaces really aren't that important anyway so don't get upset when your character doesn't get one. Kanade's 1st seed, and she'll probably stay up there the whole season unless we start getting significant anti-voting (like if a certain faction decides to all team up against her. Although for Kanade it probably wouldn't even matter. It would take at least two factions) Which won't be until ruby sometime. Let it be known that I'm a Kanade fan =) And the poster looks awesome :D
One thing that I might be scared of now, and might keep Kanade from going 7-0 each round, is that people understand the 'one necklace' rule, and now that Kanade has her necklace for the year, they might vacate ISML until post season, when she'll again be able to grab another title.
This does not factor in that she'd need continued support to make it into the post season, but I wouldn't put it past people to miss that.
Last edited by Bastion on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie AB is open for business. How would you like your hare-brained scheme?
Confusing statements are fun :p
Medaka Kurokami wrote:People aren't meant to protect the rules, rules are meant to protect people
(*'////'*)
SpoilerShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae27 ... nner-1.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/img]

ImageImage
*Puts Nagi behind the drums and Hinagiku at the front with the mike and a guitar*
Banners made by Midnight Jasper & Marinara
Kordosa wrote:I can just imagine all of the Hinagiku facepalming moments. That alone is worth it.
HnG chapter 333 pg 9 wrote:She (Hinagiku) realized an incredibly obvious but oft overlooked point: One had to read the manga before they could give their judgment of it.
ithekro wrote:Remember you aren't allowed to use your powers for evil.
With great power comes great responsibility
Absolute power corrupts absolutely
Tomoya Okazaki wrote:Can I beat you until you're motionless?
MegaTokyo wrote:Some of us are just a little more screwed up than others.
Saber (maglor) wrote:It is not how much, but it is where the king spends that tells what kind of king he is.
Rito wrote:Men don't decide whether they like someone or not based solely on breast size.
Kordosa wrote:Boy, I really need to learn to keep my questions to myself. It only makes things worse.
The lunatics around you are once again doing something to lower your opinion of human intelligence. ~Face Palm
Your sense of time tells you how much of your life has been wasted because you didn't take us at our word. ~Cracked.com
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Azu-nyan, Hina-chan, Aoyama-chan and Subaru-nyan-chan
Midst
Zealot
Zealot
Worships: Kamio Misuzu
Wish: Pass all my **** classes XP.

Post by Midst » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:35 am

Results are not surprise at all. Azusa is not even close to steal Kanade's prey(necklace). Although I really want Azusa to win a necklace, I really have no hard feeling losing to Kanade - probably the most powerful character in ISML. I am pleased that people still remember Shirakawa Kotori, Aruru, Misuzu.
Swirly
Temple priestess
Temple priestess

Post by Swirly » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:20 am

HeartClover wrote:did anyone else notice.....

mikoto wins aquamarine; people complain about SDO, kanade should have won, etc.

kanade wins topaz; people congratulate her, say the poster is great, etc.
Probably because lots of people were expecting Kanade to win Topaz, that it really didn't matter.
Momo
State alchemist
State alchemist
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Akemi Homura
Melon Pan: 132
Wish: Yotsuba-chan♥

Post by Momo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:42 am

Swirly wrote:
HeartClover wrote:did anyone else notice.....

mikoto wins aquamarine; people complain about SDO, kanade should have won, etc.

kanade wins topaz; people congratulate her, say the poster is great, etc.
Probably because lots of people were expecting Kanade to win Topaz, that it really didn't matter.
Also because Mikoto didn't beat Kanade votes-wise, while Azusa was eons off Kanade's VF. Even if the SDO difference wasn't as weighted towards Kanade as it is now, Azusa would have needed an SDO of 190 to win the necklace at the same vote %

Revenge Time~
Kudos to my amazing Secret Santa ♥
loudmouth
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Wish: To go to heaven

Post by loudmouth » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:06 am

Arcion wrote:
loudmouth wrote:Both of the periods so far were slanted in favor of a certain character winning, although if Azusa had beaten Mikoto then Kanade probably would've taken Aquamarine. There probably isn't a single contestant who can beat Kanade right now, which means she'll almost definitely have a 7-0 period every time. So SDO is always going to be the deciding factor in her necklace chances. She was pretty much guaranteed a necklace eventually. It's silly that people were complaining about the fact that she didn't get it in Aquamarine. Kanade faced the weakest girl from each tier in Aquamarine so it was natural for her to have low SDO for the period. In Topaz however, she faced all the stronger girls from each tier, which gave her a higher SDO than we've ever seen since periods became 7 rounds. Necklaces really aren't that important anyway so don't get upset when your character doesn't get one. Kanade's 1st seed, and she'll probably stay up there the whole season unless we start getting significant anti-voting (like if a certain faction decides to all team up against her. Although for Kanade it probably wouldn't even matter. It would take at least two factions) Which won't be until ruby sometime. Let it be known that I'm a Kanade fan =) And the poster looks awesome :D
One thing that I might be scared of now, and might keep Kanade from going 7-0 each round, is that people understand the 'one necklace' rule, and now that Kanade has her necklace for the year, they might vacate ISML until post season, when she'll again be able to grab another title.
This does not factor in that she'd need continued support to make it into the post season, but I wouldn't put it past people to miss that.
Hmm that does sound like a possibility. That would also suggest that a significant percentage of new ISML voters are only participating this year to vote for Kanade. I guess that's possible since we've had more votes in every round this year than we had for most of DE last year, although I think there are quite a few regulars who have been around for a while who support Kanade. There's probably going to be a dip in her VD after this but she'll probably still be pretty tough to beat. I think Shana has the best chance.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
RusAnon
Nikuman
Nikuman
Worships: Suigintou

Post by RusAnon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Arcion wrote:One thing that I might be scared of now, and might keep Kanade from going 7-0 each round, is that people understand the 'one necklace' rule, and now that Kanade has her necklace for the year, they might vacate ISML until post season, when she'll again be able to grab another title.
This is definitely possible, as I was considering this myself, but decided that Kuroneko still has a chance for necklace, so needs my support. But if she gets one, I'm definitely out till diamond.
xcrossfacekillahx
Incubator
Incubator
Worships: Rosario Cross
Wish: A very good tournament and more cookies. Moehood to reign

Post by xcrossfacekillahx » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:39 pm

RusAnon wrote:
Arcion wrote:One thing that I might be scared of now, and might keep Kanade from going 7-0 each round, is that people understand the 'one necklace' rule, and now that Kanade has her necklace for the year, they might vacate ISML until post season, when she'll again be able to grab another title.
This is definitely possible, as I was considering this myself, but decided that Kuroneko still has a chance for necklace, so needs my support. But if she gets one, I'm definitely out till diamond.
She'll make it to the post season so why worry now when she's getting wins. At least stay until the season ends okay?
akumaxx
Puella magi
Puella magi
Wish: An ISML without harmonics

Post by akumaxx » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:11 am

That's why I call this phenomenon 'Guard skill: Berserk'.
During Aquamarine Mikoto didn't get more votes at most matching days, so it's easy that many cannot accept her necklace as #1.
== Low Activity ==
Current Soul: 269
Newest cards of Saimoe set: (Resized for signature use)
Previous cardsShow
loudmouth
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Wish: To go to heaven

Post by loudmouth » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:27 pm

Aquamarine isn't the #1 Necklace. It's simply the first necklace. It has absolutely no meaning or indication of overall strength. I didn't think that was an issue. Mikoto's SDO was higher in Aquamarine because she faced more difficult opponents. That's why she won. ISML doesn't rank contestants based on total votes.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:55 pm

loudmouth wrote:Aquamarine isn't the #1 Necklace. It's simply the first necklace. It has absolutely no meaning or indication of overall strength. I didn't think that was an issue. Mikoto's SDO was higher in Aquamarine because she faced more difficult opponents. That's why she won. ISML doesn't rank contestants based on total votes.
It being the first necklace is what makes it the "#1 necklace" though; supposedly, as girls are eliminated from the necklace race, competition gets less fierce, and that naturally makes the necklace worth less.

That is generally true, especially if one compares Aquamarine to Diamond, but what many fail to understand is that the first and second necklaces (or any two consecutive necklaces) are almost equivalent in value. The effects of an elimination of one girl from the race is neglible compared to that of luck involved in SDO and period scheduling. If Kanade have had better SDO in Aquamarine, the presence or absence of Mikoto would have no effect on the necklace. What makes that different than Topaz then?

Which simply boils down to what you're saying, that Aqumarine isn't the superior necklace. People can like it more because it's the first, hurr durr, etc., but statistically it's hardly more precious than Topaz.
SpoilerShow
Team Rocket Elite
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Bernkastel
Wish: dried plums to go with the tea.

Post by Team Rocket Elite » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:37 pm

Eater-of-All wrote:
loudmouth wrote:Aquamarine isn't the #1 Necklace. It's simply the first necklace. It has absolutely no meaning or indication of overall strength. I didn't think that was an issue. Mikoto's SDO was higher in Aquamarine because she faced more difficult opponents. That's why she won. ISML doesn't rank contestants based on total votes.
It being the first necklace is what makes it the "#1 necklace" though; supposedly, as girls are eliminated from the necklace race, competition gets less fierce, and that naturally makes the necklace worth less.

That is generally true, especially if one compares Aquamarine to Diamond, but what many fail to understand is that the first and second necklaces (or any two consecutive necklaces) are almost equivalent in value. The effects of an elimination of one girl from the race is neglible compared to that of luck involved in SDO and period scheduling. If Kanade have had better SDO in Aquamarine, the presence or absence of Mikoto would have no effect on the necklace. What makes that different than Topaz then?

Which simply boils down to what you're saying, that Aqumarine isn't the superior necklace. People can like it more because it's the first, hurr durr, etc., but statistically it's hardly more precious than Topaz.
I would say Tenshi is the exception to "the elimination of one girl doesn't matter too much". SDO is obviously very important but Kanade's insane amount of power was just a bit away from winning the Aquamarine necklace anyways. If Kanade is still around, a character would need a huge SDO advantage to win the necklace over her. A character like Yuki or Eucliwood could beat Shana or Azusa with a much smaller SDO gap. The Amethyst necklace is definitely much easier to win than the Topaz or Aquamarine necklace now that Kanade is out.
A miracle that you believe in when you know it won't happen......... is hope.
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:16 am

Team Rocket Elite wrote:
Eater-of-All wrote:

I would say Tenshi is the exception to "the elimination of one girl doesn't matter too much". SDO is obviously very important but Kanade's insane amount of power was just a bit away from winning the Aquamarine necklace anyways. If Kanade is still around, a character would need a huge SDO advantage to win the necklace over her. A character like Yuki or Eucliwood could beat Shana or Azusa with a much smaller SDO gap. The Amethyst necklace is definitely much easier to win than the Topaz or Aquamarine necklace now that Kanade is out.
That's true. But then, Kanade has been bending space-time and ISML analysis since 2010. =(
SpoilerShow