RESULTS: 2012 Topaz 8

Zefyris
Gnome
Gnome
Worships: Midarezaki Kyouka
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: ISML 2015 Nova Division to have at least one character I favor.

Re: RESULTS: 2012 Topaz 8

Post by Zefyris » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:43 pm

KholdStare88 wrote: I would hope people do some research before ditching the original material.
The chance of it happening is really low. After all, you aren't going to research about the original material if you didn't like the anime or thought that it was sub par/ Full of cliché/and so on. The only ways it could happen is if
-You can clearly feel that there is more to the original work than was adapted (like SAO for example), and therefore takes the time to do some research;
-Someone you know has already read the LN or a part of it and tell you about how better it is. Ironically, one way it could happen is exactly what you described about ZnT; heavily condemning the anime in a place where someone who read the LN can read your "review" of the show and answer accordingly. I find somehow amusing that one of the best way to be informed about the original work is to publicly criticize its adaptation... If you never say anything about how bad you thought it was, the chance of never knowing about the original work is quite higher IMO.

Sometimes the very nature of the original work is heavily altered in its adaptation, like focusing on ecchi or moe scenes without caring too much about character development for example. I don't think that people are going to give even a slight chance to the original work (it being a LN or a manga) in those circumstances.
I was aiming for how anime can be good even if it doesn't follow the original material exactly though.
Hmm... I would say that it's what will make the difference between a good and an excellent adaption in the end. Let's see...A good adaptation is simply true to the original work but usually not as good, whereas an excellent one takes advantage of the difference in support in order to equal or even surpass the original work?

@Momento10 : wow, those are some pretty posters. I especially like Nagato's and Inori's (even though I don't especially like Inori, I have to admit that her pictures make good material for posters and such)
xcrossfacekillahx
Incubator
Incubator
Worships: Rosario Cross
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: A very good tournament and more cookies. Moehood to reign

Re: RESULTS: 2012 Topaz 8

Post by xcrossfacekillahx » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Zefyris wrote:
KholdStare88 wrote: I would hope people do some research before ditching the original material.
The chance of it happening is really low. After all, you aren't going to research about the original material if you didn't like the anime or thought that it was sub par/ Full of cliché/and so on. The only ways it could happen is if
-You can clearly feel that there is more to the original work than was adapted (like SAO for example), and therefore takes the time to do some research;
-Someone you know has already read the LN or a part of it and tell you about how better it is. Ironically, one way it could happen is exactly what you described about ZnT; heavily condemning the anime in a place where someone who read the LN can read your "review" of the show and answer accordingly. I find somehow amusing that one of the best way to be informed about the original work is to publicly criticize its adaptation... If you never say anything about how bad you thought it was, the chance of never knowing about the original work is quite higher IMO.

Sometimes the very nature of the original work is heavily altered in its adaptation, like focusing on ecchi or moe scenes without caring too much about character development for example. I don't think that people are going to give even a slight chance to the original work (it being a LN or a manga) in those circumstances.
To be honest, it's not just research but you have to read through it. If you read the original source material, chances are that you will understand what is really happening. The anime adaptation is heavily challenged to adapt a certain segment or segments of the novels. How many chapters to cover a volume? How long will it take?

Well for me, I read SAO before watching the anime so I know what happens when. When some portion of the anime isn't right, I point them out. I didn't read the original source material for the sake of, "I told you so. This is nothing compared to the LN blah blah blah." I read because I think I'll like it as I read along the way. I really want to find the original source (even if it needs to be played) because I could discuss/comment with others about the series much better than watching the anime alone.