[HUMAN SEQUENCER]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Dante, Traveler of the Burning Abyss
Melon Pan: 306
Wish: To do IIDX well

Re: RESULTS: 2014 Topaz 8

Post by LOveLive! » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:20 pm

I'm also looking forward to Amagi Brilliant Park, and it has some cute chars. This series may dominate Fall Season Tournament, but I don't think it can take out NGNL because Kyoani is increasingly decaying in ISML.
smartboyhw
[Future Overlord]
[Future Overlord]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Isshiki Iroha
Melon Pan: 0
2018 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
2018 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
Wish: Shichimiya Satone, Aoyama Nanami and Nakano Azusa to win an ISML prize, Inaba Himeko to win BGC and live in Sakura-sō

Post by smartboyhw » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:35 pm

LOveLive! wrote:I'm also looking forward to Amagi Brilliant Park, and it has some cute chars. This series may dominate Fall Season Tournament, but I don't think it can take out NGNL because Kyoani is increasingly decaying in ISML.
Amagi seems to be the heated series of Autumn 2014, so would not be surprised if Sento or Latifa won Autumn exhibition.

Speaking of the plot, I'm currently catching up with the manga at Vi-Scans. But the manga's rather slow (it's still at the beginning at Ch. 5, and the scanlations group is lacking a proofreader). The Light Novel itself is not translated into English at all, which makes the plot, to most English-speaking people, a mystery.

But as for their fate in 2015 Regular Season, I dare predict the same as Kuriyama Mirai.
ImageImage

Let me teach you something: We humans... Even for 10 minutes... We cannot even wait that long! - Nakamura Yuri, Angel Beats!
LOveLive!
[HUMAN SEQUENCER]
[HUMAN SEQUENCER]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Dante, Traveler of the Burning Abyss
Melon Pan: 306
Wish: To do IIDX well

Post by LOveLive! » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:43 pm

Amagi may be stronger than Kyoukai no Kanata though. Amagi's strength may be between Hyouka and Chuu2koi.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto

Post by RailWarrior » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:53 pm

Reverend wrote:
cole wrote:Well, Shiina is the incarnation of moe because of her personnality, the stereotype of girl-object like her has always been erotic for lot of people. Ask Nagato about it ^^;

I don't know about myself, but still i think she deserved that necklace way better than some of thoses new full fanservice only characters made by the japanimation lately. I won't naming them i'm sure smart people know the drill.

Since Shana are not one of thoses, she would have been a good winner too thought. Let's wish her luck for next year :)

edit : and forget to say great job to Saber !!! :love: :love:
well, if only everybody understands the actual meaning of 'moe' :onion12:
still, it is fan-base that pays for the services of writers, animators, and publishers
so, like it or not, we should accept it
What are you talking about? What exactly is this "actually meaning of moe" you are referring to?
Moe comes from moeru, which means either to burn or to blossom. Basically, moe boils down to one thing: a growing, burning passion for something. It has nothing to do with personality, character design, eroticism (or lack thereof), etc. As long as you like a character, it's moe to you.
I did not feel any sort of passion for Mashiro, thus she was not this so-called "incarnation of moe." In fact, no one is a universal incarnation of "moe," as the term is completely subjective, both the actual meaning and it's later evolved description.
Last edited by RailWarrior on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:54 pm

LOveLive! wrote:I'm also looking forward to Amagi Brilliant Park, and it has some cute chars. This series may dominate Fall Season Tournament, but I don't think it can take out NGNL because Kyoani is increasingly decaying in ISML.
their series decaying, you mean?
well, it's because the heroine in their latest hype is not really powerful as a single diva (it's unpleasant #ifyouknowwhatimean )
Rikka is still here, she's not that down yet
Haruhi and friends need more material, something we should not expect anytime soon because of KyoAni's bad habit in Haruhi: too much profit-exploiting
(I believe this is the main factor that makes Nagaru-sensei lost the will to really continue Haruhi's story -_- )
RailWarrior wrote: What are you talking about? What exactly is this "actually meaning of moe" you are referring to?
Moe comes from moeru, which means either to burn or to blossom. Basically, moe boils down to one thing: a growing, burning passion for something. It has nothing to do with personality, character design, eroticism (or lack thereof), etc. As long as you like a character, it's moe to you.
I did not feel any sort of passion for Mashiro, thus she was not this so-called "incarnation of moe." In fact, no one is a universal incarnation of "moe," as the term is completely subjective, both the actual meaning and it's later evolved description.
it's the matter of when and to what kind of subject the term was first used (not that it matters now)
(well, seeing a lot of criticism I get from this comment, it's best that I back down, I'm too lazy to search and find and summarize everything I ever read about moe anyway :p )
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Athalon
School nurse
School nurse
Worships: No one
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: More CPU-Z and GPU-Z data
*Staring @ Hot Kurumi's 0.1cm thin strap*
*Criticizing Maki's non-existent cleavage with a red pointed stick*

Post by Athalon » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:56 pm

wow....travelling made me lost track of voting.....
o Ding Ding Ding won LOL
SpoilerShow
Ding Ding Ding
實行「命運計畫」締造世界的「傳說」。
Initiate the "Destiny Plan", to create the world's new "legend"

SpoilerShow
Thanks to Nirvaxstiel and Injection (MAL) for this pro sig.
Sphire
Space pirate
Space pirate
Wish: Love & Peace

Post by Sphire » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Midnight-Jasper wrote:
Sphire wrote: Nova girls will be falling over each other to get away from Shiro next year. Circlet is now secondary :twisted:
Shiro / Jibril No Game No Necklace

:neko032:
Oh yea, so with Mikoto and Kanade, that means 4 necklaces from next year are already set. The rest can fight over that last necklace! :onion2_193:
Zefyris wrote:2 years ago most of us were saying the same thing about Asuna for example. Let's see what she can really do next year.
Well, I never really liked Asuna to begin with, especially with all the hype surrounding SAO. When we first saw Asuna in ISML though, it was during the 'good' half of the first season. There's still a good chance that the way the show has fallen in the eyes of many people is the main reason Asuna couldn't cope last year. While I disliked the 'romance/love' part of Asuna, I still found her 'action/fighter' part cool. Still, I dropped the show half-way because it got too annoying (while it was supposedly still 'good'). She has a second season now and is only just about a contender for the Tiara.

The main point I guess I'm making here is I think Shiro is way less divisive than Asuna was/is. Kinda like Kanade. While I don't particularly rate AB!, I don't have any negative feelings towards the show or Kanade. Plus, Shiro has plenty of fetish stereotypes nailed down. Of course, NGNL in itself is a major reason behind her popularity, and that shows seems to know what it wants going forward. A second season next year (on par with the first season) would crush everyone else in ISML, if it came out.

But yes, this is all subjective until we see what happens next year.
Bloodborne AwesomeShow
matchbaby
Necromancer
Necromancer
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Isla
Melon Pan: 65
Wish: Isla!!! All hail for Isla!!!
Shiro and Sora!! As least win something!!
Same as Illya~!

Post by matchbaby » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:28 am

Sphire wrote:
Midnight-Jasper wrote:
Sphire wrote: Nova girls will be falling over each other to get away from Shiro next year. Circlet is now secondary :twisted:
Shiro / Jibril No Game No Necklace

:neko032:
Oh yea, so with Mikoto and Kanade, that means 4 necklaces from next year are already set. The rest can fight over that last necklace! :onion2_193:
Zefyris wrote:2 years ago most of us were saying the same thing about Asuna for example. Let's see what she can really do next year.
Well, I never really liked Asuna to begin with, especially with all the hype surrounding SAO. When we first saw Asuna in ISML though, it was during the 'good' half of the first season. There's still a good chance that the way the show has fallen in the eyes of many people is the main reason Asuna couldn't cope last year. While I disliked the 'romance/love' part of Asuna, I still found her 'action/fighter' part cool. Still, I dropped the show half-way because it got too annoying (while it was supposedly still 'good'). She has a second season now and is only just about a contender for the Tiara.

The main point I guess I'm making here is I think Shiro is way less divisive than Asuna was/is. Kinda like Kanade. While I don't particularly rate AB!, I don't have any negative feelings towards the show or Kanade. Plus, Shiro has plenty of fetish stereotypes nailed down. Of course, NGNL in itself is a major reason behind her popularity, and that shows seems to know what it wants going forward. A second season next year (on par with the first season) would crush everyone else in ISML, if it came out.

But yes, this is all subjective until we see what happens next year.
Jibril is around Tier 3 I think... Shiro Tier 1 is possible, but necklace is too hard.
Jibril necklace, it is impossible-_- ._.
houreki
~Lurking Terror~
~Lurking Terror~
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Melon Pan: 18
2020 Female Favorite: Emilia
2020 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
2019 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2019 Male Favorite: Bakugō Katsuki
2018 Male Favorite: Bakugō Katsuki

Post by houreki » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:25 am

Fuijiwara wrote:Just a note Zefryiz, if one of the DAL girls does make it to Stella, apparently if I am not wrong, Chocolat gets auto-nomination, from what houreki says
I don't remember who, but someone said that only top 12 gets auto-nomination and if you remove the characters that move to Stella next year and if Asuna wins the Nova circlet then Tobichii Origami is the last girl that gets auto-nomination, but if one of the DaL girls move to Stella then Chocolat gets the auto-nomination, but I'm not sure if this is how this works, but I hope Chocolat can make it. ^.^
Nova characters with auto nominationShow
1 Itsuka Kotori
2 Yoshino
3 Tokisaki Kurumi
8 Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko
9 Yatogami Tōka
11 Kurousagi
13 Azuki Azusa
14 Yaya
15 Yukinoshita Yukino
19 Kuriyama Mirai
21 Shokuhō Misaki
22 Tobiichi Origami
24 Chocolat (Possible)
ImageImage
SpoilerShow
Image ImageImage Thanks for all the awesome sigs :>
Desufire
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Orihime Inoue
Melon Pan: 60
Wish: For sugar to not be unhealthy, and campaigning to be easier

Post by Desufire » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:42 am

If two DAL go to Stella (Circlet and Tiara) then Himeragi Yukina gets an auto-nom spot.
cole
Ninja
Ninja
Worships: Loli Shinobu <3

Post by cole » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:01 pm

RailWarrior wrote: I did not feel any sort of passion for Mashiro, thus she was not this so-called "incarnation of moe." In fact, no one is a universal incarnation of "moe," as the term is completely subjective, both the actual meaning and it's later evolved description.

Don't be silly, you took me in the very wrong way, i wasn't saying than Shiina would be the 'incarnation of the moe'. What i was exactly saying is the personnality of shiina mashiro is the reason a lot of people think of her as moe, same goes for nagato yuki, or any character with girl-object like personnality.

I'm pretty sure people are not voting her just because she is a blondie with a pretty face, since there are a ton of them already... After that, you're free to like this style or not, it depends of your own tastes, but saying things like :

"shiina don't deserve this necklace because her personnality is not moe"

sounds pretty dumb to me. That's was the reason of my first post, and i clarify things here, since it looks like the first one could be easily misunderstood.
Progeusz
Befriender
Befriender
Worships: Watashi
Wish: [email protected] 2011 characters

Post by Progeusz » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:48 pm

"girl-object" is rude to Nagato, she's completely different from Mashiro

You know, it isn't as easy as you think. The differences are pretty big even if some people aren't sensitive enough to see them.
Kanade is my favorite character in ISML but Mashiro and Inori are ones of very few in this tournament I actually dislike (to show the contrast, other one is Taiga even though I like Shana a lot. To be fair I can see why people like Taiga but it's impossible for me with Mashiro and Inori). Yuki is among characters I like more but she isn't really close to top. Eu is right in the middle between Kanade and Yuki.

I'm pretty sure there are also some Mashiro fans who dislike Kanade. Different tastes.

Please stop pigeonholing.
Desufire
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by Desufire » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:55 pm

You might dislike Mashiro and like Kanade but saying they AREN'T part of the same character archetype is incorrect on your behalf.

They are all Rei Ayanami Expies or Emotionless girls.

They all have the same basic personality and are all considered a form of Kuudere.
Progeusz
Befriender
Befriender

Post by Progeusz » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:09 pm

I told you before.
Learn how to read before replying to me.

I never said they aren't part of the same archetype. However I did say they are completely different and I refuse to call them girl-objects because it's rude, untrue and perpetuates ignorant stereotype. Just call them Rei clones. Or kuudere. (god, "expies" is cringe-worthy, so is capitalization of every word but I guess tvtropes is to blame here)

>They all have the same basic personality
No, they don't. They appear to be similar, just that.
Desufire
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by Desufire » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Progeusz wrote: >They all have the same basic personality
No, they don't. They appear to be similar, just that.
Yes, they do.

They are all quiet when they are introduced and eventually become more emotional as the series progress.

Same basic personality.

Yes there are differences with they're entire personality, but that's not "basic" personality traits
Keima
Undine
Undine
Worships: Black Rock Shooter (BRS)
Wish: Still want even more professional quality Vocaloid events in the U.S.

Post by Keima » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:04 am

RailWarrior wrote:
Reverend wrote:
cole wrote:Well, Shiina is the incarnation of moe because of her personnality, the stereotype of girl-object like her has always been erotic for lot of people. Ask Nagato about it ^^;

I don't know about myself, but still i think she deserved that necklace way better than some of thoses new full fanservice only characters made by the japanimation lately. I won't naming them i'm sure smart people know the drill.

Since Shana are not one of thoses, she would have been a good winner too thought. Let's wish her luck for next year :)

edit : and forget to say great job to Saber !!! :love: :love:
well, if only everybody understands the actual meaning of 'moe' :onion12:
still, it is fan-base that pays for the services of writers, animators, and publishers
so, like it or not, we should accept it
What are you talking about? What exactly is this "actually meaning of moe" you are referring to?
Well, you're part right in that the term is subjective, but for people who still don't get what we mean by moe or who think it can mean whatever a person wants it to mean, I think those people are over thinking things. That or they're just getting their definition of moe from an older generation like this one kid I saw on another forum where he asked his martial arts sensei what the term meant, and he obviously was an older non-otaku Japanese man whose definition is completely different from how say the kids in Akihabara use it.

"Moe" as we in anime fandom/otaku circles use the term simply refers to the cuteness or adorability factor of characters. Now as to what exactly defines "cute" or "adorable" really does differ from person to person.
Progeusz
Befriender
Befriender

Post by Progeusz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:58 am

Desufire, I take it you would say that Kanzaki H. Aria, Misaka Mikoto, Makise Kurisu and Sanzenin Nagi all have the same basic personality then?
Keima wrote:"Moe" as we in anime fandom/otaku circles use the term simply refers to the cuteness or adorability factor of characters.
You use it wrong. It's Japanese word, so use it like Japanese intended you to. Don't be an ignorant baka gaijin. Respect things you encounter. When you enter someone's house you obey to rules of the person who own the house. When you use word of x language, you're supposed to use it like it's used in x language.
If the only thing you want to say is that X is cute, use cute. If you feel the irrational need to stick Japanese words in your sentences, use kawaii. Moe isn't the same thing.
Desufire
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by Desufire » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:02 am

Progeusz wrote:Desufire, I take it you would say that Kanzaki H. Aria, Misaka Mikoto, Makise Kurisu and Sanzenin Nagi all have the same basic personality then?
Yes.
They are all tsundere basic personality.
They all have a dislike towards a character that slowly turns into a friendship or love over time.

That is not their entire personality, like I said with Yuki, Mashiro, and Kanade.
cole
Ninja
Ninja
Worships: Loli Shinobu <3

Post by cole » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:28 am

Progeusz wrote:"girl-object" is rude to Nagato, she's completely different from Mashiro
Dude you serious ? There wasn't anything offensive against them in this term on my behalf, i just tried to use one english expression to define their style without using japanese. And since my english isn't that good (i'm french) maybe there is something better ? If then, i would be very welcome to know the appropriate english expression to define the kuudere girls and others close to it, while i'm talking here without offending you thanks.

But saying the term is offending for Nagato only, insinuating like it wouldn't be for Mashiro ? Tells me you more one of those character's hater wich i won't be able to talk to.
Progeusz wrote:You know, it isn't as easy as you think. The differences are pretty big even if some people aren't sensitive enough to see them.
Kanade is my favorite character in ISML but Mashiro and Inori are ones of very few in this tournament I actually dislike (to show the contrast, other one is Taiga even though I like Shana a lot. To be fair I can see why people like Taiga but it's impossible for me with Mashiro and Inori). Yuki is among characters I like more but she isn't really close to top. Eu is right in the middle between Kanade and Yuki.

I'm pretty sure there are also some Mashiro fans who dislike Kanade. Different tastes.
Just to resume your post, some people like some tsundere, and not some others, there is nothing new under the sun here, but thank you to share your personnal tastes with us dude.

And stop saying i'm doing things i do not. Thank you.

Also thanks Desufire to take the time of remember the basics of character's archetype used in animation in the thread, i guess it's a must have when we start talking about anime character anywhere now or people start to redefine theses slang words to their own version. _o_
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto

Post by RailWarrior » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:47 am

Desufire wrote:You might dislike Mashiro and like Kanade but saying they AREN'T part of the same character archetype is incorrect on your behalf.

They are all Rei Ayanami Expies or Emotionless girls.

They all have the same basic personality and are all considered a form of Kuudere.
I'll agree that Kanade and Mashiro fall under the same archetype, but that archetype is "danmari" (from dandere, except neither show deredere sides. Everr), not any of this Ayanami Rei Expy or Emotionless Girl stuff, and certainly not kuudere. They aren't quiet for the cool factor, and again their deredere side is never shown.

Using "Ayanami Rei Expy" or "Emotionless Girl" tropes are just flat out misleading and false. Well actually, Mashiro may as well be a Rei Expy in terms of development in ability to express emotion, but definitely not emotionless. Kanade never had an inability to express emotion, which automatically rules out both Rei Expy and Emotionless tropes. I'm just going to bring in a third party as an example of the last possibility, not Ayanami Rei Expy but Emotionless: Nagato Yuki. Yuki doesn't have any trouble expressing emotion, and she knows exactly what emotion is, so she isn't a Ayanami Rei clone. Yuki's problem is that she is legitimately incapable of ever expressing it, therefore being one of the extremely few true Emotionless Girls. Of course, emotionless is being used here in terms of inability to express emotion, not to harbor emotion.

tl;dr: I call bullshit on TVTropes.
Progeusz wrote:Don't be an ignorant baka gaijin.
If you feel the irrational need to stick Japanese words in your sentences...
You and your irrational need to stick Japanese words into your sentences.
Progeusz wrote:You use it wrong. It's Japanese word, so use it like Japanese intended you to. Don't be an ignorant baka gaijin. Respect things you encounter. When you enter someone's house you obey to rules of the person who own the house. When you use word of x language, you're supposed to use it like it's used in x language.
If the only thing you want to say is that X is cute, use cute. If you feel the irrational need to stick Japanese words in your sentences, use kawaii. Moe isn't the same thing.
The holy Japanese language that your weeaboo self so admires uses "service" to mean "something for free," "fight" to mean "give it your best effort," and "key holder" to mean "key ring." Please, we can make whatever mess we want out of Japanese words too. It's how language evolves.
"Don't be an ignorant baka gaijin."
Last edited by RailWarrior on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.