superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Worships: Akiba
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Rabu touch!

necklace contest seems unfair

Post by superunature » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:07 am

although four characters went unbeaten this period, shana won the necklace by simply having highest SDO
I personally think there should be a bonus tie breaker round of the unbeaten chars. that lets people vote and decide who should get the necklace instead of simply giving it like that. We get a boring near-week breaks between periods anyways. The only flaw I see is that the same character might win the necklace every period.... but then again, like Hinagiku who has won every round thus far, she had no chance at a necklace, and probably won't for the rest of ISML 2010. but gj shana,hina,yuki, and mio nyways.
thou my fav. still azu-nyan :P
can't wait for hina vs shana match
Team Rocket Elite
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Bernkastel
Wish: dried plums to go with the tea.

Re: necklace contest seems unfair

Post by Team Rocket Elite » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:22 am

The SDO system is actually what gives characters other than Mio and Shana a chance at the necklace. Other than in Aquamarine, even Hinagiku would very unlikely to beat Shana and Mio to get a necklace. At least with SDO we have Taiga and Yuki with a necklace along with Shana and Mio.
A miracle that you believe in when you know it won't happen......... is hope.
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:48 am

It's actually pretty fair, considering the SDO system gives the girls a chance to win the necklace by virtue of how hard they worked for it that period instead of, say, how strong they are or how lucky they were. I know it sounds strange to not reward a girl based on her strength, but if we're purely evaluating strength, Double Eliminations already serves as the ultimate arena for that. Not to mention, as TRE said, comparing strength between necklace finalists through tiebreaker matches would only result in very similar, if not the same, outcomes everytime, making the effort virtually pointless. The fripside flip side to this is to evaluate it mostly based on luck, a strategy inadvertently used in ISML2008, where VD was the crucial tiebreaker. That resulted in easy schedules == easy necklaces, with necklace winners not having actually "earned" their necklaces through hard work (gross generalization, but close enough).

The SDO system, however, balances strength and luck by giving the luckier girls opportunities for higher SDO via stronger opponents, but also at the same time requires them to "earn" them by, you know, actually beating those stronger opponents.

Though I suppose that was the philosophical side of the SDO system more than anything, since "fairness" is such an ambiguous thing.
SpoilerShow
superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device

Post by superunature » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:01 am

well I guess thats true,
but lol~ even thou hinagiku wins every round, she gets 4th place from the 4/5 periods
and it looks like next round she going to lose to shana~
azusa was the closest to beating shana for awhile and surprising results when mio beats shana, season 1, episode 4 of k-on (moe episode) really got her popularity up
Wolfnagi
Necromancer
Necromancer
Worships: Sanzen'in Nagi
Wish: Want Nagi to win this year ISML....
And 1 Million bucks....

Post by Wolfnagi » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:27 am

For some godly reason,
Azusa is much more powerful than she is during the beginnig.........
Even Shana barely match up with her......
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
nissannut
Mahjong tile
Mahjong tile

Post by nissannut » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:08 pm

I like the way the necklace competition is structured right now. The numbers game is very interesting. I don't think it's unfair at all. Also, the ultimate prize, the Heavenly Tiara, is won by double elimination tournament. So if you don't like the structure of the regular season, you might be more satisfied with the post-season. As for the championship, I won't guarantee 100% satisfaction... :cooltongue:
Thanks to:
Sig - Marinara :: Slivers - ppizzapie and melange
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem
Worships: Moriya Suwako's hat
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Eugeo
2018 Female Favorite: Yamada Elf
2018 Male Favorite: Willem Kmetsch
Wish: A third season of Spice and Wolf.

Post by Kordosa » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:46 am

If you want to blame something, blame the seeding matches that took place during the preliminaries. I could be mistaken on this since I didn't see any real explanation of how it works, but the results of those matches helped determine the round-robin order of several of the characters before the overall schedule was randomized. Some could argue that if the results from those seeding matches were different, Shana might not be experiencing a "perfect storm" scenario for winning half of the necklaces this year.
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
shiraoky wrote:I'm always squeeing lol.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.
superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device

Post by superunature » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:04 am

not blaming on anything, really we are just voting on fictional characters.
but I think there should be one bonus round per year of whom should get the necklace