Artisan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Horo, the Wise Wolf
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Bottomless ramen

Re: Emerald 2011 Featured Match Write-ups

Post by Marinara » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:00 pm

maglor wrote:While Momento10 seeks to highlight the difference in personality and attitude towards the world, Imoutan emphasizes the relation to, acquisition of, and use of political power, and in my opinion, both are very important part of discussing these 2 complicated characters. The question is how do we combine both without losing their strength. If allowed, I would petition that this writeup is given higher word count limit in order to better compare and contrast these 2 characters that deserves more attention.
I do not agree that these characters deserve any more attention than all the other characters, despite the view that they are more "complicated" than others. This view creates a superiority of some characters to others, and, in my opinion, completely undermines a competition which struggles to avoid bias. I will, however, discuss this with the other staff members.

I highly encourage both writers to try to work together to condense wherever they can, remove irrelevant information, and hopefully combine their works. If either of you need help doing so, I, and I'm sure many other editors, can help. Just ask.
Marinara's Anime Blog: Anime B&B
Follow me on Twitter!
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2020 Female Favorite: Holo
2020 Male Favorite: Natsume Takashi
2019 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2019 Male Favorite: Arima Kōsei
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Post by maglor » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Marinara wrote: I do not agree that these characters deserve any more attention than all the other characters, despite the view that they are more "complicated" than others. This view creates a superiority of some characters to others, and, in my opinion, completely undermines a competition which struggles to avoid bias. I will, however, discuss this with the other staff members.

I highly encourage both writers to try to work together to condense wherever they can, remove irrelevant information, and hopefully combine their works. If either of you need help doing so, I, and I'm sure many other editors, can help. Just ask.
Sorry for improper use of the word 'more' there. I should have said, 'more attention compared to amount the 2 characters seems to be receiving at the moment.'

Usually in a match description, people can easily see a single main point of similarity or contrast between the 2 characters, and often this point is not of serious nature. In these 2 characters, both the point of the character's attitude towards the world, and the character's relations to the political power are of extreme importance, and when you consider that these 2 points are very central to not just the character but to the overall background and plot of the series, I felt that each of the points may need to be given enough discussion, and when you have 2 of these, it may not be possible to have writing of good quality within the current 200 word limit.

In end, I am asking for bit of flexibility for 2 characters who may never appear in future ISML match again. The reason for my enhanced interest in this match is because many aspects of these characters are like challenges put forth to the Asian Society and culture by the authors. ( I do know that these serious aspects gets watered down much as series progress,however. ) It is of my opinion that I know of no other matches in the past nor in conceivable future that deserves more leniency with word count compared to this match.
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2020 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2020 Male Favorite: Ishigami Yū
2019 Female Favorite: Tōma Kazusa
2019 Male Favorite: Ayanokōji Kiyotaka
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
Wish: My definition of peace and tranquility.

Post by Momento10 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:57 pm

@Imoutan: It is of no worry. I appreciate that you also wrote this match as well.
@maglor: Let me see if I can perform the combination well enough.
Mineva Lao Zabi (Mobile Suit Gundam) vs. Kō Shūrei (Saiunkoku Mo…Show
If one wishes to test a man's character, give him power. Such power is what Kō Shūrei and Mineva Zabi seek, who have none despite their high position. Hard-working, kind, and compassionate, Shūrei would do multiple odd jobs unfitting to her high status before asked to work in the imperial court, a place that only cares to utilize her namesake. In a government dominated by males, Shūrei aims to defy conventional gender roles and hierarchical society and better herself and her war torn country. In contrast, Mineva is a brash, arrogant girl who dislikes the way her current family maintains order and peace. Despite this, she is a kind, dedicated, and righteous person who strives to shoulder the dignity and responsibility of the Zabi’s past glory and blunder. However, her valiant effort to reform the family name is challenged with anachronistic ideals of her own people. If there is one thing these maidens have in common, it is the belief that if they tried hard enough, they can make the world a better place. While each woman will no doubt free herself from the shadow of her noble birth, it is a race to determine who will do it first.
Barely made it. Exactly 200. I hope this is done well. Imoutan and maglor may need to check if they wish to add/remove anything else from this.
Last edited by Momento10 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Kinomoto Sakura
Wish: Fluency in Japanese

Post by Crisu » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:38 pm

maglor, I am disappointed that you view the word limit as a vice than as a means to support clear and concise writing, which Marinara has pointed out many times as being helpful to the reader (e.g. attention span) as well as the writer. Worse off, you gave very little consideration or attempt towards a solution that would meet all the requirements. Below is my suggestion for a rewrite that fits the 200-word limit and hopefully addresses the spirit of both Momento10's and Imoutan's submissions.
SpoilerShow
Despite their noble birth and social status, Kō Shūrei and Mineva Lao Zabi struggle with gender and political discrimination to assert their influence and bring a positive change to their worlds. Shūrei is the only child of the Kō clan, who is well respected but virtually impoverished. While a princess by title, she is skilled in household chores and works as an accountant, teacher, and musician to support her family. Her hard work and dedication as consort to the Emperor and later as an official in the Saiunkoku government has helped many people and quelled critics who doubted her ability to lead as a woman. Mineva, born during the One Year War and heir to the throne, has grown tired of the loss of life in the conflicts between the Principality of Zeon and the Earth Federation. With a kind, focused, and righteous personality, she overcomes her sheltered upbringing and risks her life to defy the imperialistic agenda of her family by challenging the ideals and beliefs of her people and fighting for peace throughout the solar system. Shūrei and Mineva are natural leaders, strengthened by the unfair circumstances they have faced. Today's match honors their pride, beauty, and success.
EDIT: As it turns out, Momento10 has also put forth great effort while I was writing my piece. I'm very impressed by it; I didn't think the two writings could be directly merged. I had some trouble at first because there were descriptions in both paragraphs that seemed to conflict. I have not seen either anime series, so I know the characters only through their various online biographies. So my interpretation may be incorrect, but it agrees more with Momento10's merged version rather than the individual, initial versions.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by maglor » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:40 pm

Momento10 wrote: In contrast, Mineva is a brash, arrogant girl who dislikes the way her current family maintains order and peace. In truth, she is a kind, dedicated, and righteous person who strives to shoulder the dignity and responsibility of the Zabi’s past glory and blunder.
It might be better to consider different phrase or word in the colored spot.
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by maglor » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:23 pm

Mineva Lao Zabi (Mobile Suit Gundam) vs. Kō Shūrei (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
미네바 라오 자비 (기동전사 건담) 대 홍수려 (채운국이야기)
Korean write upShow
부제: 사회 혁명의 두 공주의 대결 --- 예술은 사회의 본질을 보여준다고도 하지만 사회가 나가야 할 목표를 보여주기도 합니다. 애니도 예외가 아닙니다. 그러면 이번 경기에 나온 두 여성은 아시아 사회내의 여성상과 지위의 현 위치를 보여주는 것일까요, 발전 가능성을 보이는 것일까요, 아니면 현실과 아무 관계없는 꿈나라 이야기일까요? 두 인물 모두, 공주와 같은 지위와 권위를 가졌지만, 자신을 억압하려는 사회를 거스르고 주체적으로 미래를 개척할 수 밖에 없는 처지에 놓여있습니다. 둘다 형식적인 힘이 아닌 사회를 실질적으로 변혁하려는 힘을 원합니다. 그렇지만 미네바의 경우 먼저 힘을 찾지 않고, 지금 현재 자신만 할 수 있다고 생각하는 일에 맹목적으로 돌진합니다. 이에 비해 수려는 주변을 도우려고는 하나, 더 큰 도움을 주기 위하여 힘을 얻기 위해서 필요하면 자제하면서 천천히, 그러나 꾸준히 앞으로 나아가고 있는 차이를 보입니다. 과연 두 인물의 차이는 닥쳐있는 현실때문일까요, 아니면 두 인물 내면의 본질적인 차이때문일까요? 어느 나라에서는 미네바와 같은 강행이 더 필요하고 다른 어디에서는 수려와 같은 적응이 더 필요할까요? 이 시범경기가 여러분에게 많은 복잡한 것들을 생각할 기회가 되었으면 좋겠습니다.
I welcome any merciless criticism and tips for condensation or improvement to my Korean write up. If anyone with Korean+English ability wishes to translate this to English, please feel free to do so.

-------------------------------------------------
Someone pointed out that I need to elaborate on the character's background, their upbringing, and their past actions and then connect to how it has made the nature of character's present courses of action different. Need help on deciding if such change is needed, and if so, how I should correct what I have written so far.
Jeffrey-sama
Soul gem
Soul gem
Wish: K-ON! Season 3

Post by Jeffrey-sama » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:52 am

Edits
Red indicates corrections
Blue indicates suggestions
Green indicates that rewording may be necessary
Eclairs wrote:Yui (Angel Beats!) vs Aisaka Taiga (Toradora!)
SpoilerShow
One of the highlights in the Emerald Round 4 schedules is the match-up between Yui and Aisaka Taiga. Yui is currently in the 11th place on the leaderboard, while Taiga’s 9th and with this, both maidens’ places in the Postseason are all but guaranteed. What's left for them is to snatch a necklace of their own in the regular season. Both these petite girls have three wins in the Emerald period, and a victory for either one of the maidens will swing the pendulum towards their side for a spot in the necklace showdown match, at the end of the Emerald period. A win here is also imperative for both of them, as they are both in the second tier bracket, which means that they will need to face the first tier contestants later in this period. With four necklaces already snatched away, both Yui and Taiga knows that they stand a fighting chance in getting any one of the remaining three necklaces. What better way to demonstrate their intention, than to knock of one of their closest challengers.
- highlights
- Round 4
- schedules
- match-up
- No 'the'
- places
- in the Postseason
- What's
- maidens
- at the end
- means
- Replaced 'have been' with 'already'
- knows
- any one (two words)
- The last sentence is not considered a question I think
Eclairs wrote:Eucliwood Hellscythe (Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?) vs Seraphim (Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?)
SpoilerShow
A normal day in the Aikawa household – Eucliwood Hellscythe, sitting calmly and sipping her tea, verbal abuses are been hurled towards Ayumu by Seraphim. Envious of him being the ‘servant’ of Eucliwood, Sera resorted to being the ‘servant’ of Ayumu since Eucliwood didn't need two servants. The silver haired, quiet maiden has a refined aura surrounding her. Gentle and thoughtful, her amethyst-purple-coloured eyes always look so dreamy. With the strokes of her pen, she communicates in a rather unconventional way. On the other hand, Sera, the brash, long haired girl has an imposing feel to her. Aloof and straight-forward, her piercing gaze can make onlookers both awestruck and pressured at the same time. Contrary to Eucliwood, she would rather make herself known known as someone with a sharp tongue. Who will have the greater ‘say’ in the household – the necromancer of the underworld Eucliwood Hellscythe or the kyuuketsu ninja Seraphim?
- Envious
- being
- didn't
- amethyst-purple-coloured - 'amethyst' is a shade of purple so 'purple' is redundant
- 'With' instead of 'By'
- straight-forward
- Maybe 'awestruck' instead?
- 'pressured' is the right word; 'pressurised' means something else
- known as someone with a sharp tongue
Eclairs wrote:Shana (Shakugan no Shana) vs Tōsaka Rin (Fate/stay Night)
SpoilerShow
Crimson is the colour that signifies both Shana and Tōsaka Rin. Her eyes and hair are turned red, from their original colour, as Shana unleashes her fury upon the crimson denizens, hell-bent on protecting the balance and order between the worlds. Tsundere in nature, it took her a while before she realised her true feelings towards the main protagonist. Torn between her feelings and the duty bound to her, Shana continues to struggle both physically and emotionally. Rin on the other hand predominantly wears a red shirt. Picked as one of the masters in the fifth Holy Grail war, she is a talented magus. She tried to summon a knight spirit, but the spell went awry and instead summoned a different servant instead. While she is slightly tsundere in nature, it also took her awhile until she realised her feelings. As the Nietono no Shana clashes with the ‘Unlimited Blade Works’, will Shana able to ‘colour’ Tōsaka Rin’s body with the blood, or will her opponent smear her crimson red instead?
- No 'are'
- turned
- Drop the 'from their original colour' since it doesn't add anything significant to the sentence
- on protecting
- realised
- the Nietono no Shana (I haven't watched SnS so I'm not sure if this is correct. Assuming it's a title, then the edit is correct)
- No 'the'
Imoutan
Imouto
Imouto
Worships: Fate

Post by Imoutan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:32 am

@Crisu: I love your ending sentences. I believe it must simply be use

Well, here's a rough combo of all 3 together. It's 201 words, somebody find the word that must be cut. It sound a little bit choppy in my opinion, but what are editors for? :P
If one wishes to test a man's character, give him power. Seeking such power, Kō Shūrei and Mineva Lao Zabi struggle with gender and political discrimination to assert their influence and bring a positive change to their worlds. Born into the well-respected yet impoverished Kō clan, Shūrei supports her family by working odd jobs as an accountant, teacher, and musician while nurturing her dream to become a government official. Defying societal norms, she finally entered the male-dominated imperial court. Hoping to better herself and her country, she is met with indifference from politicians who seek only her namesake, not her ability. Like Shūrei, Mineva Zabi is the heir to the fallen empire of Zeon. While brash and arrogant, Mineva is also a kind, dedicated, and righteous person who shoulder the dignity and responsibility of the Zabi legacy. Witnessing the human tragedies from the on-going conflicts between Zeon and the Earth Federation, she strives to restore peace to the solar system even if doing so means defying the imperialistic agenda of her family and the anachronistic ideals of her people. Shūrei and Mineva are natural leaders, strengthened by the unfair circumstances they have faced. Today's match honors their pride, beauty, and success.
~ Ideas copied shamelessly from RYnky-san ~
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:12 am

(Edits/suggested changes in red.)
Imoutan wrote:@Crisu: I love your ending sentences. I believe it must simply be use

Well, here's a rough combo of all 3 together. It's 201 words, somebody find the word that must be cut. It sound a little bit choppy in my opinion, but what are editors for? :P
If one wishes to test a man's character, give him power. Seeking such power, Kō Shūrei and Mineva Lao Zabi struggle with gender and political discrimination to assert their influence and bring a positive change to their worlds. Born into the well-respected yet impoverished Kō clan, Shūrei supports her family by working odd jobs as an accountant, teacher, and musician while nurturing her dream to become a government official. Defying societal norms, she finally entered the male-dominated imperial court. Hoping to better herself and her country, she is met with indifference from politicians who seek only her namesake, not her ability. Like Shūrei, Mineva Zabi is the heir to the fallen empire of Zeon. While brash and arrogant, Mineva is also a kind, dedicated, and righteous person who shoulders the dignity and responsibility of the Zabi legacy. Witnessing the human tragedies from the ongoing conflicts between Zeon and the Earth Federation, she strives to restore peace to the Earth Sphere even if doing so means defying the imperialistic agenda of her family and the anachronistic ideals of her people. Shūrei and Mineva are natural leaders, strengthened by the unfair circumstances they have faced. Today's match honors their pride, beauty, and success.
- I guess you could omit the "Like Shūrei" part, since we're already introducing Mineva in this sentence. Helps with the impartiality and word count too.
- "shoulders"
- "ongoing" (one word)
- "solar system" - Decided to replace this with "Earth Sphere" in keeping with the Gundam mythos.
"Rip and Tear. Rip and tear until it's done."
"To the good people I met on this site (Kordosa, Minhtam, Crisu, Maglor, Desufire, Momo, Marinara, Midnight-Jasper, Hikarin, Momento10, Shiraoky, Alex, Bastion, Superunature, Demi., Sedon, xcrossfacekillahx, Silver21, CureRainbow) thank you for the nice memories."
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2020 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2020 Male Favorite: Ishigami Yū
2019 Female Favorite: Tōma Kazusa
2019 Male Favorite: Ayanokōji Kiyotaka
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
Wish: My definition of peace and tranquility.

Post by Momento10 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:35 am

I believe it was been a while since there were this much talk about a specific write-up. Hopefully, Imoutan's write up along with Elvinsky's corrections is a good connotation after all that has been said.

Writing a few more before calling it a day.

Kasugano Sora ( Yasuga no Sora ) vs Holo ( Spice and Wolf)
SpoilerShow
Sora lies on her bed, unmoved. Something is wrong inside her, but she does not know what it is. She looks out the window and notices a figure sitting on the plains. Because she emitted a sense of forlornness, maybe she can tell her what his feeling is inside her heart. Sora leaves her home, walks up to the woman, and gasps. She was not shocked that her physique was not human; rather, there was something else much more bothersome. It was if she was alone for many years, watching people from afar and seeing how much they have changed while forgetting that they owed her so much in their previous lives. She was not angry, but sad that the memories of the current society did not remember whom to thank all this time. Clearly, there was no way to calmly and politely ask her her own personal question. It seems as if the only way to make her talk was to wake her up.
Fate Testarossa (Mahō Shōjo Lyrical Nanoha) vs. Hiiragi Kagami (Lucky ☆ Star)
SpoilerShow
Topaz 1, 2008. Winner's Round 3, 2008. Diamond 9, 2009. Topaz 4, 2010. Back and forth, these twintail veterans fought with every broken limb she had to offer. In 2008, Fate Testarossa wrecked havok along with Bardiche in their first and second encounter, proving to her and to her competition why she is considered the strongest girl in the running. Hiiragi Kagami was not going to let this embarrassment slip so easily. In 2009. in the final match of Regular Season, Kagami was able to place all the stops and finally claimed her first victory against her. Kagami was able to demonstrate highly competitive attitude and will stop at nothing to get a victory. It all seemed well until 2010, when Fate was able to pummel her opponent once more, revenge for what happened during that year. The score stands 3-1, and there two warriors take the stage once more in Emerald 4. With both characters knowing each other well enough, it will only take a single flaw to determine who the winner will be. Can Fate knock down her competitor for the fourth time, or will Kagami obtain her second win against her?
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:07 am

Momento10 wrote:Kasugano Sora ( Yasuga no Sora ) vs Holo ( Spice and Wolf)
SpoilerShow
Sora lies on her bed, unmoved. Something is wrong inside her, but she does not know what it is. She looks out the window and notices a figure sitting on the plains. Because she emitted a sense of forlornness, maybe she can tell her what this feeling is inside her heart. Sora leaves her home, walks up to the woman, and gasps. She was not shocked that her physique was not human; rather, there was something else much more bothersome. It was as if she was alone for many years, watching people from afar and seeing how much they have changed while forgetting that they owed her so much in their previous lives. She was not angry, but sad that the memories of the current society did not remember whom to thank all this time. Clearly, there was no way to calmly and politely ask her her own personal question. It seems as if the only way to make her talk was to wake her up.
- "this"
- "as"
Momento10 wrote:Fate Testarossa (Mahō Shōjo Lyrical Nanoha) vs. Hiiragi Kagami (Lucky ☆ Star)
SpoilerShow
Topaz 1, 2008. Winner's Round 3, 2008. Diamond 9, 2009. Topaz 4, 2010. Back and forth, these twintail veterans fought with every broken limb they had to offer. In 2008, Fate Testarossa wreaked havoc along with Bardiche in their first and second encounter, proving to her and to her competition why she is considered the strongest girl in the running. Hiiragi Kagami was not going to let this embarrassment slip so easily. In the 2009 final match of Regular Season, Kagami was able to pull out all the stops and finally claimed her first victory against her. Kagami was able to demonstrate a highly competitive attitude and will stop at nothing to get a victory. It all seemed well until 2010, when Fate was able to pummel her opponent once more, revenge for what happened during that year. The score stands 3-1, and their rivalry takes the stage once more in Emerald 4. With both characters knowing each other well enough, it will only take a single mistake to determine who the winner will be. Can Fate knock down her competitor for the fourth time, or will Kagami obtain her second win against her?
- We should omit "broken," since "broken limbs" evoke the scenario of a gore-filled bloodbath.
- "they" instead of "she"
- "wreaked havoc"
- "In the 2009 final match of Regular Season"
- "pull out all the stops"
- Added "a."
- Decided to replace "there two warriors" with "their rivalry."
- "takes"
- Let's go for "mistake" instead of "flaw."
"Rip and Tear. Rip and tear until it's done."
"To the good people I met on this site (Kordosa, Minhtam, Crisu, Maglor, Desufire, Momo, Marinara, Midnight-Jasper, Hikarin, Momento10, Shiraoky, Alex, Bastion, Superunature, Demi., Sedon, xcrossfacekillahx, Silver21, CureRainbow) thank you for the nice memories."
melange
Artisan
Artisan
Badges:
Worships: Iwakura Lain
Wish: White Queen & Black Queen

Post by melange » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:29 am

Momento10 wrote:I believe it was been a while since there were this much talk about a specific write-up. Hopefully, Imoutan's write up along with Elvinsky's corrections is a good connotation after all that has been said.
Another edit for Shuurei v Mineva ^^;
SpoilerShow
"If one wishes to test a man's character, give him power." Seeking the power to bring positive change to their worlds, Kō Shūrei and Mineva Lao Zabi struggle against gender and political discrimination despite their noble birth. Born into an impoverished branch of the respected Kō clan, Shūrei supports her family by working odd jobs while nurturing her dream to become a government official. Defying societal norms to enter the male-dominated imperial court, she endeavors to better herself and her country but must overcome the indifference of politicians who only seek the prestige of her name, not her ability. Heir to the fallen empire of Zeon, Mineva shoulders the dignity and responsibility of the Zabi legacy by projecting a prideful front that masks a kind, dedicated, and righteous individual. Conscious of the human tragedies from the interminable conflicts between Zeon and the Earth Federation, she strives to restore peace to the Earth Sphere even if doing so means defying the imperialistic agenda of her family and the anachronistic ideals of her people. Armed with their wit, charisma and tempered by the unfair circumstances they have faced, Shūrei and Mineva are natural leaders. Today's match honors their pride, beauty, and success.
Exactly 200. Generally rejigged the sentences so the Shuurei and Mineva bits are more obviously echoing each other.
1. suggest putting the first sentence in quotation marks and/or italicizing it to emphasize that it is a quote (from Lincoln). Else people might find it odd that the sentence says 'man' but the match is about two girls
2. shifted 'to bring positive change to their worlds' closer in front, as their altruistic reasons for seeking power becomes an effective 'answer' to the 'test' of the first sentence.
3. felt it was necessary to indicate why Shuurei needed to support her family if she was part of a respected clan.
4. changed "her namesake" to "the prestige of her name" as namesake just means 'a person or thing that has the same name as another', which is not really the case here.
5. I think the description of "brash and arrogant" does Mineva a disservice as it is more her 'putting on the queenly mask than actual arrogance so rewrote and shifted things around.
6. 'kind, dedicated and righteous individual' ties in nicely as a motive for her striving to restore peace.
7. put in mention of their wit and charisma as those are the main sources of their strengths
The Dancing Doll of the Infirmary - Higanbana
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Kinomoto Sakura
Wish: Fluency in Japanese

Post by Crisu » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:58 am

Honest question since I don't know: What things in the Zeonic movement would be considered anachronistic?

I'm not really feeling the quote at the beginning. I'm not sure if it really adds to the message. Marinara can decide in the end~
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
Imoutan
Imouto
Imouto
Worships: Fate

Post by Imoutan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:44 am

Crisu wrote:Honest question since I don't know: What things in the Zeonic movement would be considered anachronistic?

I'm not really feeling the quote at the beginning. I'm not sure if it really adds to the message. Marinara can decide in the end~
Sigh, I guess I should omit that word then. I've only seen 2/3 Gundam Unicorn episodes and a couple of summary on Mineva.
SpoilerShow
According to summaries, after the fall of the original Zeons, the Neo Zeon wanted to establish another empire w/ Mineva as the reigning monarch. From that fact, I kinda assume some stuff and use the word "anachronistic" because it seem a little bit outdated to determine the next leader by bloodline alone. In episode 2 of Unicorn, it seem that the inhabitants of Neo Zeon (just a few was shown) still look at the conflicts as a heroic crusade. Because they mentioned WWII and such in Gundam, I assumed that their beliefs are anachronistic because the romantic notion of war has been dispelled a long time ago during WWI.
Any Gundam fan can set me straight on my facts and assumption.

The quote has more to it. “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.” is the original quote. I wanted to convey how every character faces adversity at some point, including Shuurei and Mineva, but it is the acquisition and utilization power that truly flesh out both characters. I hope my explanation make sense. I suggest using the full quote, but not sure if it'll achieve the same effect I want it to. Overall, I think the shorten version is fine, too because it lead nicely into the write-ups.

Also, I think it'll be better to use the quote (while shortened) verbatim.

Original: if you want to test a man's character, give him power

Our revised version: "If one wishes to test a man's character, give him power."

See the difference? I think it's better to use the original version from Lincoln.
~ Ideas copied shamelessly from RYnky-san ~
Marinara
Artisan
Artisan
Badges:
ImageImage

Emerald Round 4 Edits

Post by Marinara » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:40 am

Round 4 submissions closed. If you have any further submissions/translations/edits, please PM them to me.
Eucliwood Hellscythe (Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?) vs. Seraphim (Kor…Show
A tornado of leaves encircles these supernatural beings, curving the long, blue-white hair of the necromancer around to meet the rich black of the kyūketsu-ninja. Resigned to a life she cannot control, Yuu sighs: cruelty is her bitter friend, sadness her constant companion. Alone for centuries, but for the fear and power that haunted her, she, alone, understands the pain Seraphim feels, the loneliness and worried panic locked behind the vampire's stoic face. She sees the sensitive heart protected by the proud, haughty demeanor that it hides behind, the heart that was willing to give up everything it knew for her. And as they are forced against each other by the cruel world they are both all too familiar with, Eucliwood can empathize with Sera's inability to bring herself up to raise her Hiken Tsubamegaeshi against the gentle, child-like figure of the one who saved her life, the one who taught her to feel love for the very first time, the one who is her friend. Yet as quiet, sapphire eyes meet over-bright emerald, both know, no matter what the outcome, they've come too far together, shared too much, to ever turn against one another.
Huang Lingyin (IS <Infinite Stratos>) vs. Victorique de Blois (G…Show
With a fiery personality, Huang Lingyin is the mirror opposite of Victorique de Blois. China's IS representative is always quick to talk and slow to listen. With the physical characteristics of a fang-tan and the personality of a genki girl, Lingyin always strives to be the best among her peers. On the other hand, Victorique is the reserved type of girl who prefers to observe others from the sidelines. With the help of her Wellspring of Wisdom, this intelligent Golden Fairy is able to solve any mystery given to her in a flash. Today, we get to see which is more powerful: the physical strength of an IS, or the analytical ability of the Wellspring of Wisdom.
Gokō Ruri (Kuroneko) (Ore no Imōto) vs. Charlotte Dunois (IS <In…Show
Kuroneko has managed to skillfully blend into the shadows when it comes to confronting her seiyū sisters, but on the home stretch of the slippery slope that is the HanaKana Wars, Charlotte refuses to let her hide any longer. Both are mirror-image shy, quiet girls, but don't let their soft-spoken meekness fool you; under their reserved demeanors lie fervent passions and iron wills. Whether it's Ruri's passion for role-playing, love for anime, and faithful dedication to her beloved Maschera, or Char's passion for IS, love for Ichika, and refusal to give him up to her classmates, both girls embody the essence of the Order of the Lotus: beautiful, gentle, and soft on the outside, resilient and strong within. These two newcomers have fought their way up the charts, knocking aside veterans and fellow newcomers alike to become favorites for the Postseason. As these Hanazawa Kana characters face off, will the purple of the fallen Tenshi-nyan blanket the sky? Or, will the gold of the French IS pilot glow victorious?
Shana (Shakugan no Shana) vs. Tōsaka Rin (Fate/stay night)Show
Crimson is the colour that signifies both Shana and Tōsaka Rin. Her eyes and hair turn red, as Shana unleashes her fury upon the crimson denizens, hell-bent on protecting the balance and order between the worlds. Tsundere in nature, it took her a while before she realised her true feelings toward the main protagonist. Torn between her feelings and the duty bound to her, Shana continues to struggle both physically and emotionally. Rin, on the other hand, predominantly wears a red shirt. Picked as one of the masters in the fifth Holy Grail war, she is a talented magus. She tried to summon a knight spirit, but the spell went awry and instead summoned a different servant instead. While she is slightly tsundere in nature, it also took her awhile until she realised her feelings. As the 'Nietono no Shana' clashes with the ‘Unlimited Blade Works,’ will Shana be able to ‘colour’ Tōsaka Rin’s body with blood, or will her opponent smear her crimson-red instead?
Akiyama Mio (K-ON!) vs. Shinonono Hōki (IS <Infinite Stratos>)Show
Two tall and beautiful bishōjo voiced by Hikasa Yōko take to the stage today as Hōkago Tea Time bassist, Akiyama Mio, takes on fourth-generation IS pilot, Shinonono Hōki. Physically, these two are very much alike; their long hair and model-like figures leave others in awe. But, their personalities couldn't be any more different. Mio is shy and constrained, often cringing at the thought of scary stories or being in the spotlight. As for Hōki, she has a tomboyish personality, regularly practicing kendo and wielding the strength to possibly take down a grown man. However, the determinations of these two maidens are equal. Both have the desire to be the best at what they do—whether it be playing the bass or practicing kendo. In the end, which one will you vote for? Is Mio with her shy personality the one for you, or does Hōki's physical strength impress you more?
Suzumiya Haruhi (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu) vs. Nakamura Yuri (A…Show
It is a universal truth that stubborn, headstrong leaders clash. When one fights the injustice and cruelty of the almighty Kami-sama, and the other is the very god she fights, this clash will undoubtedly spiral to truly epic proportions. Embittered by the harsh world, Nakamura Yuri carries the burden of her three younger siblings on her conscience, blaming herself and her powerlessness for their untimely deaths, the shattering of her once-happy world. Oblivious to the power she controls, Suzumiya Haruhi lives a whimsical, joyful life tailored to her ideals, a life dedicated to fun, excitement, and her friends, whether they be aliens, espers, time-travellers&mdashor just a certain cynic. Both the embodiments of abundant love, these two determined girls are dedicated to their followers, seeking to do the best for their friends in every way. But before they can fully enjoy the wonders of a happy life, a score must be settled. Will Yuri and the SSS triumph over the betrayal and pain of their difficult lives and finally reach peace? Or, will Haruhi's SOS Brigade fulfill her expectations and put everyone back in their rightful places?
Katsura Hinagiku (Hayate no Gotoku!) vs. Hirasawa Yui (K-ON!)Show
As the cheers of the audience shake the rafters at her introduction, Hinagiku glances over her shoulder at her ever-faithful, adoring Student Council Trio, awed into rare silence that their little prank had turned their friend into a household name. Turning, in hopes of glimpsing that certain unfortunate butler she knew was watching, the flash of light reflecting off her pink hair catches the eye of her opponent in the wings directly opposite: none other than the lead vocalist of the world-renowned Hōkago Tea-Time. Hirasawa Yui smiles; the Seitokaichō may have been able to sing her way past her sister, but there's no way Hina can win against her. Yui effortlessly tunes her guitar, confident her greater experience and dual-ability to both play and sing simultaneously will sway the competition in her favor. But in trading her shinai for a microphone, Hinagiku has discovered a new talent, and her triumph onstage in the last two rounds has only helped to enrich it. As the musician showdown comes to its final, let the music begin!
Yui (Angel Beats!) vs. Aisaka Taiga (Toradora!)Show
Infinite energy, sheer stubborn will, and passion for life: Taiga and Yui mirror one another, embodying all three. Yet for both, there lie sensitive, broken hearts behind their strength. They exude confidence and independence, but their fragile souls quietly await the people ready to heal them, restore them: the ones who will love them. Life has been harsh for both of them. Difficult parents forced Taiga from home; difficult classmates forced her to hide behind a glowering frown, her pain invisible behind the fear she incited. Time ticked on for Yui, unable to move without assistance, to meet and make new friends, simply awaiting death—silent in her pain lest she burden her family more. Still, neither Taiga, nor Yui, let it dampen their spirits, and their waiting paid off. Today, as they race neck-and-neck towards the necklace they've both been biding their time for, will Ryūji's gentleness and tender care for the bokken-wielding tsundere give her the support she needs to triumph? Or, will Hinata's readiness to do anything and everything for the lively genki-girl give her the courage and peace she needs to move ahead?
Kōsaka Kirino (Ore no Imōto) vs. Aragaki Ayase (Ore no Imōto)Show
Kirino has always known that the day her best friend finds out the truth behind her secret hobby, all hell will break loose. That day has come. If there is one thing Aragaki Ayase hates more than the lewd habits of otaku, it is lying; and now, she finds out her dearest friend and idol has lied to her repeatedly about her love for such games. Betrayed and hurt, the blue-haired model knows she must break her silence and confront her fallen friend, restoring the perfect, straight-A role model she's always known. But Kirino knows Ayase is ill-informed on the true nature of anime, has been biased by the media, and can't understand the happiness she feels as Kirino sings along to the Stardust Witch Meruru theme song. Herself hurting at the blatant rejection of her imōto-love games, Kirino mirrors the pain Ayase feels, feeling as guilty for lying as Ayase feels devastated. As their inevitable confrontation takes place, can Kirino show her honest, upright friend the joy she feels as she navigates the routes of her beloved younger-sister-centered eroge? Or, will Ayase be able to bring her two-faced friend to honesty and see life her way?
Fate Testarossa (Mahō Shōjo Lyrical Nanoha) vs. Hiiragi Kagami (…Show
Topaz 1, 2008. Winner's Round 3, 2008. Diamond 9, 2009. Topaz 4, 2010. Back and forth, these twin-tail veterans fought with every broken limb they had to offer. In 2008, Fate Testarossa wrecked havoc along with Bardiche in their first and second encounters, proving to her and to her competition why she is considered the strongest girl in the running. Hiiragi Kagami was not going to let this embarrassment slip so easily. In the 2009 final match of the Regular Season, Kagami was able to place all the stops and finally claimed her first victory against her. Kagami demonstrated a highly competitive attitude and stopped at nothing to get a victory. It all seemed well until 2010, when Fate was able to pummel her opponent once more, revenge for what happened the previous year. The score stands 3-1, and these two warriors take the stage once more. With both characters knowing each other well enough, it will only take a single flaw to determine who the winner will be. Can Fate knock down her competitor for the fourth time, or will Kagami obtain her second win against her?
Kasugano Sora (Yosuga no Sora) vs. Holo (Spice and Wolf)Show
Sora lies in her bed, unmoved. Something is wrong inside her, but she does not know what it is. She looks out the window and notices a figure sitting on the plains. Because she emits a sense of forlornness, maybe she can tell her what this feeling is inside her heart. Sora leaves her home, walks up to the woman, and gasps. She is not shocked by the inhuman physique; rather, there is something else much more bothersome. It is if this stranger has been alone for many years, watching people from afar and seeing how much they have changed, while forgetting that they owed her so much in their previous lives. She is not angry, but sad that the memories of the current society does not remember whom to thank for all this time. Clearly, there is no way to calmly and politely ask a personal question. It seems as if the only way to make her talk is to wake her up.
[spoiler=Mineva Lao Zabi (Mobile Suit Gundam) vs. Kō Shūrei (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
미네바 라오 자비 (기동전사 건담) 대 홍수려 (채운국이야기)]If one wishes to test a man's character, give him power. Seeking the power to bring positive change to their worlds, Kō Shūrei and Mineva Lao Zabi struggle with gender and political discrimination. Born into the well-respected, yet impoverished Kō clan, Shūrei supports her family by working odd jobs as an accountant, teacher, and musician while nurturing her dream to become a government official. Defying societal norms, she finally entered the male-dominated imperial court. Hoping to better herself and her country, she is met with indifference from politicians who seek only the prestige of her name, not her ability. Heir to the fallen empire of Zeon, Mineva shoulders the dignity and responsibility of the Zabi legacy by projecting a prideful front that masks a kind, dedicated, and righteous individual. Witnessing human tragedies from the on-going conflicts between Zeon and the Earth Federation, she strives to restore peace to the solar system, even if doing so means defying the imperialistic agenda of her family and the anachronistic ideals of her people. Armed with their wit and charisma, and tempered by the unfair circumstances they have faced, Shūrei and Mineva are natural leaders. Today's match honors their pride, beauty, and success.

예술은 사회의 본질을 보여준다고도 하지만 사회가 나가야 할 목표를 보여주기도 합니다. 애니도 예외가 아닙니다. 그러면 이번 경기에 나온 두 여성은 아시아 사회내의 여성상과 지위의 현 위치를 보여주는 것일까요, 발전 가능성을 보이는 것일까요, 아니면 현실과 아무 관계없는 꿈나라 이야기일까요? 두 인물 모두, 공주와 같은 지위와 권위를 가졌지만, 자신을 억압하려는 사회를 거스르고 주체적으로 미래를 개척할 수 밖에 없는 처지에 놓여있습니다. 둘다 형식적인 힘이 아닌 사회를 실질적으로 변혁하려는 힘을 원합니다. 그렇지만 미네바의 경우 당장 큰 전쟁이 일어날 수 있는 상황이라서 힘을 기를 여유 없이 맹목적으로 돌진하게 됩니다. 이에 비해 수려는 상대적으로 나라가 평화로운 상태라서, 주변 사람들에게 더 큰 도움을 주기 위하여 필요하면 자제하면서 천천히, 그러나 꾸준히 힘을 기르면서 나아가고 있는 차이를 보입니다. 과연 두 인물의 차이는 닥쳐있는 현실때문만일까요, 아니면 두 인물 내면의 본질적인 차이때문일까요? 어느 나라에서는 미네바와 같은 강행이 더 필요하고 다른 어디에서는 수려와 같은 적응이 더 필요할까요? 이 시범경기가 여러분에게 많은 복잡한 것들을 생각할 기회가 되었으면 좋겠습니다.[/spoiler]
Thanks to Jeffrey-sama, Eclairs, Momokutenshi, Momento10, Imoutan, and maglor (Korean) for contributing today's match previews.
Follow me on Twitter!
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage

Re: Emerald Round 4 Edits

Post by maglor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:54 am

Marinara wrote:Round 4 submissions closed. If you have any further submissions/translations/edits, please PM them to me.

Write-ups pending.
I guess I no longer have time for fundamental improvement to my Korean write up. Minor Corrections were made, hopefully for the better.

Mineva Lao Zabi (Mobile Suit Gundam) vs. Kō Shūrei (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
미네바 라오 자비 (기동전사 건담) 대 홍수려 (채운국이야기)
Final Korean write upShow
예술은 사회의 본질을 보여준다고도 하지만 사회가 나가야 할 목표를 보여주기도 합니다. 애니도 예외가 아닙니다. 그러면 이번 경기에 나온 두 여성은 아시아 사회내의 여성상과 지위의 현 위치를 보여주는 것일까요, 발전 가능성을 보이는 것일까요, 아니면 현실과 아무 관계없는 꿈나라 이야기일까요? 두 인물 모두, 공주와 같은 지위와 권위를 가졌지만, 자신을 억압하려는 사회를 거스르고 주체적으로 미래를 개척할 수 밖에 없는 처지에 놓여있습니다. 둘다 형식적인 힘이 아닌 사회를 실질적으로 변혁하려는 힘을 원합니다. 그렇지만 미네바의 경우 당장 큰 전쟁이 일어날 수 있는 상황이라서 힘을 기를 여유 없이 맹목적으로 돌진하게 됩니다. 이에 비해 수려는 상대적으로 나라가 평화로운 상태라서, 주변 사람들에게 더 큰 도움을 주기 위하여 필요하면 자제하면서 천천히, 그러나 꾸준히 힘을 기르면서 나아가고 있는 차이를 보입니다. 과연 두 인물의 차이는 닥쳐있는 현실때문만일까요, 아니면 두 인물 내면의 본질적인 차이때문일까요? 어느 나라에서는 미네바와 같은 강행이 더 필요하고 다른 어디에서는 수려와 같은 적응이 더 필요할까요? 이 시범경기가 여러분에게 많은 복잡한 것들을 생각할 기회가 되었으면 좋겠습니다.
Last edited by maglor on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by maglor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:15 pm

Imoutan wrote:
Crisu wrote:Honest question since I don't know: What things in the Zeonic movement would be considered anachronistic?

Sigh, I guess I should omit that word then. I've only seen 2/3 Gundam Unicorn episodes and a couple of summary on Mineva.
SpoilerShow
According to summaries, after the fall of the original Zeons, the Neo Zeon wanted to establish another empire w/ Mineva as the reigning monarch. From that fact, I kinda assume some stuff and use the word "anachronistic" because it seem a little bit outdated to determine the next leader by bloodline alone. In episode 2 of Unicorn, it seem that the inhabitants of Neo Zeon (just a few was shown) still look at the conflicts as a heroic crusade. Because they mentioned WWII and such in Gundam, I assumed that their beliefs are anachronistic because the romantic notion of war has been dispelled a long time ago during WWI.
Any Gundam fan can set me straight on my facts and assumption.
On surface, Zeonic movement seems to be that of struggle freedom for groups of oppressed people, and it is true that this is why Zeonic movement still is strong with spacenoids (those that does not make their home on Earth ) . However, Zeon family has expressed desire for outdated ideas like Racial Supremacy ( In the first Gundam, the Elder Zabi accused Ghiren Zabi of being Hitler's follower ) and Monarchy system for the governance. After multiple military set backs, instead of new people bringing about different approach to the movement to obtain their true goal of freedom, Zeonic movement still dreams of total military victory, one that has already proven to be out of reach, and clings to old heroes of previous wars. This inability to adapt to new political reality, embrace new ideas to improve the lives of spacenoids, and reluctance to acknowledging the dignity of ALL human lives do make criticism of Zeonic movement being anachronic, valid.
hinakatbklyn
Incubator
Incubator
Melon Pan: 55

Post by hinakatbklyn » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:05 am

Marinara wrote:
Sora lies in her bed, unmoved. Something is wrong inside her, but she does not know what it is. She looks out the window and notices a figure sitting on the plains. Because she emits a sense of forlornness, maybe she can tell her what this feeling is inside her heart. Sora leaves her home, walks up to the woman, and gasps. She is not shocked by the inhuman physique; rather, there is something else much more bothersome. It is if this stranger has been alone for many years, watching people from afar and seeing how much they have changed, while forgetting that they owed her so much in their previous lives. She is not angry, but sad that the memories of the current society does not remember whom to thank for all this time. Clearly, there is no way to calmly and politely ask a personal question. It seems as if the only way to make her talk is to wake her up.
Not sure if it's important, but since it was brought up on another forum (animesuki) and the first post does say be fair to all characters involved, I thought I would bring it up (for future rounds). After skimming through all the writeups, every challenger was referred to by name at least once.... except Holo.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:33 am

hinakatbklyn wrote:
Marinara wrote:
Not sure if it's important, but since it was brought up on another forum (animesuki) and the first post does say be fair to all characters involved, I thought I would bring it up (for future rounds). After skimming through all the writeups, every challenger was referred to by name at least once.... except Holo.
I would think this acceptable in this case, since Sora was mentioned by name, and Holo being mentioned was by process of elimination, only two girls in the match. If it were a larger match though, it would have been an issue.
I think there have been some matches where neither girl is mentioned, leaving the reader to guess what characteristic belongs to which girl.
Jamie AB is open for business. How would you like your hare-brained scheme?
Confusing statements are fun :p
Medaka Kurokami wrote:People aren't meant to protect the rules, rules are meant to protect people
(*'////'*)
SpoilerShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae27 ... nner-1.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/img]

ImageImage
*Puts Nagi behind the drums and Hinagiku at the front with the mike and a guitar*
Banners made by Midnight Jasper & Marinara
Kordosa wrote:I can just imagine all of the Hinagiku facepalming moments. That alone is worth it.
HnG chapter 333 pg 9 wrote:She (Hinagiku) realized an incredibly obvious but oft overlooked point: One had to read the manga before they could give their judgment of it.
ithekro wrote:Remember you aren't allowed to use your powers for evil.
With great power comes great responsibility
Absolute power corrupts absolutely
Tomoya Okazaki wrote:Can I beat you until you're motionless?
MegaTokyo wrote:Some of us are just a little more screwed up than others.
Saber (maglor) wrote:It is not how much, but it is where the king spends that tells what kind of king he is.
Rito wrote:Men don't decide whether they like someone or not based solely on breast size.
Kordosa wrote:Boy, I really need to learn to keep my questions to myself. It only makes things worse.
The lunatics around you are once again doing something to lower your opinion of human intelligence. ~Face Palm
Your sense of time tells you how much of your life has been wasted because you didn't take us at our word. ~Cracked.com
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Azu-nyan, Hina-chan, Aoyama-chan and Subaru-nyan-chan
Marinara
Artisan
Artisan
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Marinara » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:48 am

The Holo vs. Sora write-up has been removed for now since the last sentence is very confusing. Who needs to wake up? Sora? Holo?
If Momento10 can clear up the confusion, then the edited write-up will be included.
Follow me on Twitter!