Oh, I think I died a little reading this (if I understood it right).
Kholdy wrote:... but as a whole, people believe that it lessens the value of those who win the Tiara.
As a whole? Really? Do the majority here think some Tiara winners are undeserving? That is surprising news to me.
The ramblings of hateful idiots whose ultimate primary gripe is that 'their' fav didn't win the Tiara is not worth listening to. If they can't articulate proper constructive criticism, their opinion is trivial. There is NO undeserving Tiara winner, as there is equally no character who is 'born' with the right to win a Tiara. Yea, I've seen those posters going on about how Kotori is undeserving. I would've called them out and got in their face if I knew their pathetic verbal diarrhea was going to influence things.
I have to admit (as if it wasn't already obvious), I don't like it. In my eyes, the whining of a few is affecting the tournament. There seems like a lot of potential cons too.
1) Voting numbers will drop. Removing 4 pretty powerful characters from Stella will also remove voters. Case in point: Tiara semi 2 had way more voters than Tiara semi 1 for obvious reasons.
2) We'll no longer see Kotori compete on a regular basis next year. Only 1 year in ISML seems sadly short.
3) This does nothing to stop anyone saying the 2015 Tiara winner is 'undeserving'. Like seriously, I don't think it'll stop at all. Anti-voting will still occur, just not one specific type of anti-voting.
4) In relation to point 3, depending on how much fanfare is put into the Tourney of Champs, the Tiara will almost certainly be of less 'value' than winning the Tourney of Champs (ToC). Further undermining the new Tiara winner (unless she wins the ToC, which if that happens all the time, makes this seem pointless).
5) Will fans return during the ToC schedule? Like really, are we expecting those who showed up before on a regular basis to support their Tiara bearers to come back next year for ToC if they leave (as in with point 1).
6) I remember a number of people thinking necklace winners were undeserving too. Should Mashiro be banned from competing in Topaz necklace next year just because people don't like repeat winners?
7) Is there a point in differentiating Nova & Stella now? If I remember right, the whole point behind 2 divisions was that it gave new characters a chance to compete without getting hammered by old characters. You are taking away some very strong old characters now, so do we need 2 divisions?
8) Shiro might never face Kanade or Mikoto ever. That's just sad. I look forward to things like that, am I alone?
I feel like I could list more, but in the end, this is your tourney, and the staff will decide how it goes. I understand where this is coming from. Necklace rules were changed because of repeat winners, and looking back, I say that was a good decision. But ultimately necklaces were 'irrelevant' or 'insignificant', just something extra. The Tiara on the other hand, was the final goal. The ultimate trophy. And everyone has a fair chance at it. Whether once or more. Truly, so what if Kanade wins twice. I'd hate it, for sure, but its not the system, its the voters. It is up to them to change.
Anti-voting is what it is. Would the staff prefer abstains? I voted for Kotori over Kanade for no other reason than to see a new winner. But that's because I don't really care for either character. Should I just abstain then? I usually find it sad that fans leave when their 'fav' has been eliminated, which is why I generally stay and vote. I don't really like anyone to some huge degree that was in post-season. Was it better that I just not have turned up?
This feels weird to me, heck, part of me thinks permanent retirement might be better for Tiara winners. Have I misunderstood something?