ISML 2016

The news blog has official ISML News. This forum is for additional news or news from other parts of the ISML Community.
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
2017 Female Favorite: Megumin
2017 Male Favorite: Zen Wistalia
Wish: ISML - A new face for the champion.
KBM - to revive
AST - to encourage international participation
IRL - My definition of peace and tranquility.

Re: ISML 2016

Post by Momento10 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:32 pm

You talk about an overhaul, but it might take me a few days to swallow this info dump. Nonetheless, I am very happy that this information was given to us to keep us all up to date on what to expect for the next coming weeks.
10ZHAbin wrote:Are there any changes to the eligibilities of characters? Are characters appeared after 1st of January 2016 remained ineligible?
That was going to be my question as well. If ISML (ISMT?) still plan on doing the seasonal exhibition tournaments (and I'm assuming all of them), then it would have to be before 12/31/15. I remember the last time they tried to put the end limit close to the nomination period, and a majority of the Winter characters tanked hard, so my guess is that it will remain before 12/31/15.
Shmion84 wrote:Thanks crisu, and enjoy your ISML-free time.

So, technically no International Saimoe League in 2016.
I guess that would mean I am going to have to call this new ISML the International Saimoe Tournament, a.k.a. ISMT. I mean, I don't really want to ask the people who created the banners to change the name since it has already been done. Besides, as long as the logo says ISML, I wouldn't really mind people continued to call it that.
shadowhunter
~Shadow Crafter~
~Shadow Crafter~
Badges:
Melon Pan: 63

Post by shadowhunter » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:17 am

N E W E R A B O Y S

I guess this season will some additional hype with new format!

At last, big thanks to Crisu! Just for all!
HasbeenaHibiki
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
Worships: セニョール・ハズビーナ, ティエリア・アーデ, ダークライ,天ノ川 きらら,紅城 トワ
Melon Pan: 201
2019 Female Favorite: Platelet
2019 Male Favorite: Bakugō Katsuki
2018 Female Favorite: Kurumizawa Satanichia McDowell
2018 Male Favorite: Bakugō Katsuki
2017 Female Favorite: Yazawa Nico
2017 Male Favorite: Reigen Arataka
Wish: A precure making it in ISML and a very popular male Saimoe. Also a Mucha Lucha anime. Darkrai in Saimoe

Post by HasbeenaHibiki » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:28 am

Thank you Crisu for the hard work :3.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:53 am

Momento10 wrote:

I guess that would mean I am going to have to call this new ISML the International Saimoe Tournament, a.k.a. ISMT. I mean, I don't really want to ask the people who created the banners to change the name since it has already been done. Besides, as long as the logo says ISML, I wouldn't really mind people continued to call it that.
Technically, 'league' has 2 meanings, so even if we lose one, there's still the other one to justify the usage.
But, me personally think using the word 'league' is a bit... misleading.
So I think I'll address this competition as ISM (International Saimoe) only instead.

But I do think there are more issues to address about the upcoming post-Crisu('s first) era
First, the current (around) 6 months schedule... is it only for this year (and next year you'll talk about it again) or do you intend to keep this on a more permanent basis?
Just thinking: while you successfully cut the amount of jobs from around 11 months to 6 months, the workload doesn't really change. It's still 3 voting days a week which means still barely no real breaks.
I am thinking: why not lengthen the competition by 1 or 2 months in favor of getting a 2 voting days a week? It would be a big relieve to everybody involved in a match, I think. (from stat staff to writers)

Second, what to do with the auto qualify from last year's seasonal winners?
Will they still get auto qualify?

Third, you do remember the (true) reason why we have ToC, yes? *ehem* Kanade & Mikoto
What to do with it in change of the absence of ToC this year?

Is there another huh, huh?
I think had a list of it in my mind last night.
I'll post it if I remember.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Female Favorite: Karasuma Chitose
2017 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:47 am

Reverend wrote:But I do think there are more issues to address about the upcoming post-Crisu('s first) era
First, the current (around) 6 months schedule... is it only for this year (and next year you'll talk about it again) or do you intend to keep this on a more permanent basis?
Just thinking: while you successfully cut the amount of jobs from around 11 months to 6 months, the workload doesn't really change. It's still 3 voting days a week which means still barely no real breaks.
I am thinking: why not lengthen the competition by 1 or 2 months in favor of getting a 2 voting days a week? It would be a big relieve to everybody involved in a match, I think. (from stat staff to writers)
There are two reasons why we are changing to 6 months. First, the main problem for staff is the burn-out of ISML being all year long, not necessarily the amount of work done each day. For example, each staff only neesd to do at most an hour of ISML stuff every match day. However, it's the fact that we do that for the entire year that's getting tedious. Therefore, the same amount of work but condensed would be the most perfect solution. Second, ISML now starts during summer break. This is very convenient for staff members who are still in school so they can focus on ISML avatars and nomination counting without worrying about finals. If ISML were to start now, then Just, smartboy, and Hikarin would not be able to participate at all. Also, ending in November will make sure that ISML won't interfere with finals taking place in December.
Reverend wrote:Second, what to do with the auto qualify from last year's seasonal winners?
Will they still get auto qualify?
Seasonal winners will still auto qualify as planned.
Reverend wrote:Third, you do remember the (true) reason why we have ToC, yes? *ehem* Kanade & Mikoto
What to do with it in change of the absence of ToC this year?
There is still only one main reason for ToC, which is to avoid tiara winners giving the voters the "no repeat" or "double tiara" sentiments, distracting them from the actual voting. The reason we don't have ToC this year is because we are moving ToC to the beginning of the year, which means one year must have no ToC. Nothing else changes.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:35 am

Okay, then, if that's the problem.
Thank you for addressing. :)
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
akumaxx
Puella magi
Puella magi
Wish: An ISML without harmonics

Post by akumaxx » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:53 pm

So after AST is gone, ISML is going to take the AST form?
Well, as long as we have enough new faces, that's good. (and I can get more cards)
Is the border 2015.12.31?
== Low Activity ==
Current Soul: 269
Newest cards of Saimoe set: (Resized for signature use)
Previous cardsShow
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Archer
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Post by maglor » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:54 pm

Momento10 wrote:You talk about an overhaul, but it might take me a few days to swallow this info dump. Nonetheless, I am very happy that this information was given to us to keep us all up to date on what to expect for the next coming weeks.
10ZHAbin wrote:Are there any changes to the eligibilities of characters? Are characters appeared after 1st of January 2016 remained ineligible?
That was going to be my question as well. If ISML (ISMT?) still plan on doing the seasonal exhibition tournaments (and I'm assuming all of them), then it would have to be before 12/31/15. I remember the last time they tried to put the end limit close to the nomination period, and a majority of the Winter characters tanked hard, so my guess is that it will remain before 12/31/15.

In order to maintain some degree of separation between main league tournament and the seasonal event tournament, the eligibility rules will likely be as follows

-----------------------

Eligibility :

A) Main Tournament ( Both male and Female ) : Any anime character with significant length of appearance or plot involvement that appeared before Jan. 1st, 2016. They may NOT have won the Tiara or the Scepter in the past

B) Seasonal Tournament :

1. Winter : Any female character not in the main tournament that had significant appearance or involvement in anime which aired between Jan. 1st, 2016 and March 31st, 2016. The character must not have been in any ISML seasonal tournament after Jan. 1st, 2015. Series representation rule applies

2. Spring : Any female character not in the main tournament that had significant appearance or involvement in anime which aired between Apr. 1st, 2016 and before the end of nomination. The character must not have been in any ISML seasonal tournament after Apr. 1st, 2015. Series representation rule applies

In case a character is eligible for both main and seasonal, she will be considered for the main tournament first.
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by maglor » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:56 pm

akumaxx wrote:So after AST is gone, ISML is going to take the AST form?
Well, as long as we have enough new faces, that's good. (and I can get more cards)
Is the border 2015.12.31?
The current format being considered is much more closer to Football/Soccer World Cup event compared to J AST . In order to maintain some league aspect, there will be events for characters who failed to advance to the 2nd stage/round.
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by maglor » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:20 pm

I do want people to know that we are still looking for good ideas. There are many technical limitations for this year due to server and webpage changes, but if the idea is good, we will try to incorporate it when we are able to.
smartboyhw
[Future Overlord]
[Future Overlord]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Isshiki Iroha
Melon Pan: 0
2018 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
2018 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
2017 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
Wish: Shichimiya Satone, Aoyama Nanami and Nakano Azusa to win an ISML prize, Inaba Himeko to win BGC and live in Sakura-sō

Post by smartboyhw » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:17 am

KS asked me to tell you more about the nomination, so here's some information (not finalized) about the nomination so that you guys can plan ahead.

Nomination Period: 22nd May, 2016 to 11th June, 2016 (3 weeks)

Eligibility:

Main Tournament (Both male and female) : Any anime character with significant length of appearance or plot involvement that appeared before Jan. 1st, 2016. They may NOT have won the Tiara or the Scepter in the past. Seasonal tournament winners and runner-ups from ISML 2015 receive auto-nomination.

Seasonal Tournament:

Winter: Any female character not in the main tournament that had significant appearance or involvement in anime which aired between 1st January, 2016 and 31st March, 2016. The character must not have been in any ISML seasonal tournament after Jan. 1st, 2015. Series representation rule applies.

Spring: Any female character not in the main tournament that had significant appearance or involvement in anime which aired between 1st April, 2016 and before the end of nomination (11th June, 2016). The character must not have been in any ISML seasonal tournament after Apr. 1st, 2015. Series representation rule applies.

In case any female character is eligible for both the main tournament and any seasonal tournaments, she will be considered for the main tournament first. In case any female character is eligible for both winter and spring seasonal tournaments, the character will be considered for the winter seasonal tournament first.

-------------------------------

Nomination form : One single nomination page with 18 slots. People can nominate who they want, whether it be male, female, or seasonal. There's no necessity to nominate any seasonal character. Staff will sort the nomination to the correct tournament.

Nominators must nominate minimum of 5 different series/franchise. Nominators cannot nominate more than 3 characters from any series/franchise. At least one character must be of a different gender.

---------------------

Results arrangement

Top 128 females eligible for the main tournament will be selected for the main Female tournament.

Top 128 males eligible for the main tournament will be selected for the main Male tournament.

24 will be selected for the 2016 Winter Seasonal Tournament based on nomination count and series representation consideration.

24 will be selected for the 2016 Spring Seasonal Tournament based on nomination count and series representation consideration.

Those that narrowly misses the cutoff may be chosen for exhibition matches.
ImageImage

Let me teach you something: We humans... Even for 10 minutes... We cannot even wait that long! - Nakamura Yuri, Angel Beats!
RichardJoash
~Eye of Twilight~
~Eye of Twilight~
Badges:
Worships: Yaya, Asseylum, Hestia, Nao, Rory, Albedo and Stella Vermillion
Melon Pan: 45
2017 Female Favorite: Stella Vermillion
2017 Male Favorite: Kurogane Ikki
Wish: To let Subaru fans, Corvette and Camaro fans and Can-Am Spyder fans support Yaya to win the Heavenly Tiara and get those Turkeys off the Thanksgiving Menu

Post by RichardJoash » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:48 am

Wow! thanks! And I miss you, Crisu!
Kono Hoshi o Nameru na yo! Image Sankyuu, Hikarin!
10ZHAbin
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Leina

Post by 10ZHAbin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:20 am

What are you going to do with the winter/spring male nominations, exhibition slots?
smartboyhw
[Future Overlord]
[Future Overlord]
Badges:
ImageImage
Wish: Shichimiya Satone, Aoyama Nanami and Nakano Azusa to win an ISML prize, Inaba Himeko to win BGC and live in Sakura-sō

Post by smartboyhw » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:24 am

10ZHAbin wrote:What are you going to do with the winter/spring male nominations, exhibition slots?
We won't arrange male seasonal tournaments simply because we do not have the time and slots to do so. Of course, we might consider having them for purely exhibition matches.
ImageImage

Let me teach you something: We humans... Even for 10 minutes... We cannot even wait that long! - Nakamura Yuri, Angel Beats!
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
2017 Female Favorite: Megumin
2017 Male Favorite: Zen Wistalia
Wish: ISML - A new face for the champion.
KBM - to revive
AST - to encourage international participation
IRL - My definition of peace and tranquility.

Post by Momento10 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:40 am

We're not going to have 256 bios on the main page...are we?
10ZHAbin
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Leina

Post by 10ZHAbin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:58 am

Momento10 wrote:We're not going to have 256 bios on the main page...are we?
I think we should go with the Top 16 from each division with bios.
WoodyMC
[3,14% Pasta]
[3,14% Pasta]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Magolor Day
Melon Pan: 376
2018 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2018 Male Favorite: Reg
2017 Female Favorite: Watanabe Yō
2017 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
Wish: Gem Apple to Dominate the Universe

Post by WoodyMC » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:01 am

10ZHAbin wrote:
That still means we would have to write bios for 256 characters :P
Fuijiwara
[Ebb and Flow]
[Ebb and Flow]
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Worships: Fuijiwara no Mokou
Melon Pan: 2
Wish: Happiness~~

Post by Fuijiwara » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:00 am

WoodyMC wrote:
10ZHAbin wrote:
Welp, time to engage in hell and write 100 bios
2015 SilversShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
smartboyhw
[Future Overlord]
[Future Overlord]
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by smartboyhw » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:56 am

Fuijiwara wrote:
WoodyMC wrote:
10ZHAbin wrote:
Welp, time to engage in hell and write 100 bios
I think the current plan is to include biographies for Top 64 and just list out the other 128 characters. Ask maglor for details.
ImageImage

akumaxx
Puella magi
Puella magi
Wish: An ISML without harmonics

Post by akumaxx » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:27 am

smartboyhw wrote:At least one character must be of a different gender.
No thanks.
== Low Activity ==
Current Soul: 269
Newest cards of Saimoe set: (Resized for signature use)
Previous cardsShow