ISML 2016

The news blog has official ISML News. This forum is for additional news or news from other parts of the ISML Community.
10ZHAbin
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Leina
Melon Pan: 50

Re: ISML 2016

Post by 10ZHAbin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:53 am

maglor wrote:
matchbaby wrote:Thanks for all hard work done by Crisu.

So, no more regular season anymore?
OMG
----------
Look forward to see the first seed being sniped in the first round...
That can happen if the first seed end up being placed 3rd or last in their group.
Chibasa wrote:As I understand it, we will have a group stage to seed characters (32 groups of 4 girls & 32 groups of 4 boys?) and then Round of 128 or round of 64 (if they choose to eliminate half candidate during group stage).
Thank you, my understanding so far:
-128 characters selected from nominations (120 for girls since they have auto-nomination from seasonal)
-Group stage of 32 groups of 4 characters, round-robin within the group, bottom 2 eliminated.
-Top 64 gets their bios and enters elimination.
-Win-or-go-home until the champion is crowned.
RatedRKO619305
Assassin
Assassin
Worships: ANY ANIME GIRL!
Wish: My wish is to see cute anime girls all day long!

Post by RatedRKO619305 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:12 am

10ZHAbin wrote:
maglor wrote:
matchbaby wrote:Thanks for all hard work done by Crisu.

So, no more regular season anymore?
OMG
----------
Look forward to see the first seed being sniped in the first round...
That can happen if the first seed end up being placed 3rd or last in their group.
Chibasa wrote:As I understand it, we will have a group stage to seed characters (32 groups of 4 girls & 32 groups of 4 boys?) and then Round of 128 or round of 64 (if they choose to eliminate half candidate during group stage).
Thank you, my understanding so far:
-128 characters selected from nominations (120 for girls since they have auto-nomination from seasonal)
-Group stage of 32 groups of 4 characters, round-robin within the group, bottom 2 eliminated.
-Top 64 gets their bios and enters elimination.
-Win-or-go-home until the champion is crowned.
Yeah, true. It may be that format. Win or go home makes sense.
Infinite in mystery is the gift of the goddess
We seek it thus, and take to the sky
Ripples form on the water’s surface
The wandering soul knows no rest.
-Loveless, Act I
RockmanXt
Rogue
Rogue
Melon Pan: 51

Post by RockmanXt » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:15 am

That's good, very good.
As far as I know, ISML lose voter interest every year because they are tired from all the year long event, more and more complex every year. Simple is the best.

I don't worrying about seeding, intra-series, or others same problem. Sometimes luck is need more than stats, even world cup or UCL grouping still use draw lots, and have Group of Death or same country derby match most of the times.

and Shana can continue her 7-color-necklace quest, and let other to do so, if you are not crowned.
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Archer
2018 Female Favorite: Chtholly Nota Seniorious
2018 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Post by maglor » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:50 am

matchbaby wrote:What I am worrying about is the following:
1. How do you seed the characters?
-Without adequate information, it is hard to ensure no 'strongs vs strongs' in group stage.(If only based on nomination, well, death group) for example, 1st: Nao 64th: Yuigahama 65th: Yoshino 128th: hmm...maybe Komachi?

2. How to avoid/will you avoid same anime in one group?
-too many intra battles are not good(?)
3. How to judge contestants for necklaces in single elimination tournament?
-VF? (back to 2008 gj) VF%? (Pray to your opponents guys!)
4. Without enough statistics support for a whole season, can you still handle those multi-votes?
-of course statistics is useless last year I know
1. We have to rely on nomination count plus tweaks using any metric available. At the minimum we can say top two will be protected no mater how we mess up the groups. I also want to say that it will be extremely unlikely that more than two characters who are among top 20 in the nomination be assigned to same group in the 1st round. If group of death forms, we may simply have to accept this as will of the nominators. The plan I have in mind is go straight by nomination count, break any ties by previous performances, followed by series representation consideration, and assign 33rd to 40th seed to the 2015 seasonal finalists in order to let them avoid anyone who is in top 20 of nominations.

I do need to point out that current plan for the rank within the group is Wins > Head-to-head > cumulative (VF - VA = VD) > nomination results if possible > seed number .

2. All matches will be 1vs1 type so intra battles won't be that much of problem. Still, I think it is advisable to move a character to another group if our default algorithm indicate a group will have 3 or 4 characters from same franchise.

3. Some options are around. One is very simple straight forward necklace match result and nothing else. Another one is necklace match's VF% * the character's cumulative (VF + VA) number. While Cumulative VF represents popularity of a character, cumulative VA represents relative quality of their opponents. This scoring system can make people think twice before attempting to snipe someone just for the sake of necklace.

4. We got some tricks we can try this year. We are constantly looking for ideas we haven't tried as well.
10ZHAbin
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by 10ZHAbin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:15 am

Suddenly thought of something while looking at Best/Guy Contest 2 results so I'll throw it out here.
SpoilerShow
In many Saimoes I've seen, the match-up are either set in place sometimes with seedings (e.g.winner of Bracket A face the winner of Bracket B, winner of vs 8th vs 9th face the winner of 1st vs 16th) or randomized each time a round is finished. On one hand with the seedings, it will make sure that the stronger ones will face the weaker ones most of the time, but the next match up are predictable since the winner will definite face the winner from one bracket, not another. On the other hand with random grouping, people will never know who the character will face until the round is over and match up is released, this is exciting but it also creates unbalanced grouping and strong characters can go out on the early rounds.

I wondered if there's a way between the two, and I realized that there's.
1Show
First one is to reseed the characters each round, with VF, VD, VF% or whatever equations that can sorts characters into rankings (I think I've seen this partially-implanted in a Saimoe Tournament before, but I can't remember which one).
Although the problem is trying to find the best way of seeding, I can't think of one that is suitable. Something too simple (VF, VD, VA, VF%) can be too easily manipulated and affect by other factors (some match days have more voters than others, intra-series match-up ect.), something too difficult will make the tournament more complicated to understand. There is also a consideration of whether to include stats for just one round or all the results of the year, should the nomination take part, if so then how to deal with the auto-nominated characters.
2Show
It' probably better by an example.
Example:
In a ISML 2008~2011 Final League, the match up goes like this:
1 vs 16
2 vs 15
3 vs 14
4 vs 13
5 vs 12
6 vs 11
7 vs 10
8 vs 9

Supposed that 12th seed upsetted 5th seed, no other upsets, which leaves the remaining characters to:

Under normal match up, 12th seed will face the 4rd seed, which is who the 5th seed would have meet.
1 vs 8
2 vs 7
3 vs 6
4 vs 12

However in this new case, the match up goes:
1 vs 12
2 vs 8
3 vs 7
4 vs 6

Simply put, the previous match-up is disregarded, and the highest seed face the lowest seed, 2nd-highest seed face the 2nd-lowest seed and so on.
Next match up is unknown (sort of), but the match up is not random. It's a little better with randomized grouping but it's still giving more power to luck than stats, a bad seed in the early round then the candidate is doomed to go through 1~4 seed all the way if she is to gain the Tiara.
At this point I'm guessing the elimination period will be something like Best/Guy Contest 2, except with only 64 characters. I think that's simple to understand and I do like it, I wrote this down since I want to see some unpredictability in match-ups without completely relying on random chances.
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by maglor » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:36 am

10ZHAbin wrote:Suddenly thought of something while looking at Best/Guy Contest 2 results so I'll throw it out here.
SpoilerShow
In many Saimoes I've seen, the match-up are either set in place sometimes with seedings (e.g.winner of Bracket A face the winner of Bracket B, winner of vs 8th vs 9th face the winner of 1st vs 16th) or randomized each time a round is finished. On one hand with the seedings, it will make sure that the stronger ones will face the weaker ones most of the time, but the next match up are predictable since the winner will definite face the winner from one bracket, not another. On the other hand with random grouping, people will never know who the character will face until the round is over and match up is released, this is exciting but it also creates unbalanced grouping and strong characters can go out on the early rounds.

I wondered if there's a way between the two, and I realized that there's.
1Show
First one is to reseed the characters each round, with VF, VD, VF% or whatever equations that can sorts characters into rankings (I think I've seen this partially-implanted in a Saimoe Tournament before, but I can't remember which one).
Although the problem is trying to find the best way of seeding, I can't think of one that is suitable. Something too simple (VF, VD, VA, VF%) can be too easily manipulated and affect by other factors (some match days have more voters than others, intra-series match-up ect.), something too difficult will make the tournament more complicated to understand. There is also a consideration of whether to include stats for just one round or all the results of the year, should the nomination take part, if so then how to deal with the auto-nominated characters.
2Show
It' probably better by an example.
Example:
In a ISML 2008~2011 Final League, the match up goes like this:
1 vs 16
2 vs 15
3 vs 14
4 vs 13
5 vs 12
6 vs 11
7 vs 10
8 vs 9

Supposed that 12th seed upsetted 5th seed, no other upsets, which leaves the remaining characters to:

Under normal match up, 12th seed will face the 4rd seed, which is who the 5th seed would have meet.
1 vs 8
2 vs 7
3 vs 6
4 vs 12

However in this new case, the match up goes:
1 vs 12
2 vs 8
3 vs 7
4 vs 6

Simply put, the previous match-up is disregarded, and the highest seed face the lowest seed, 2nd-highest seed face the 2nd-lowest seed and so on.
Next match up is unknown (sort of), but the match up is not random. It's a little better with randomized grouping but it's still giving more power to luck than stats, a bad seed in the early round then the candidate is doomed to go through 1~4 seed all the way if she is to gain the Tiara.
At this point I'm guessing the elimination period will be something like Best/Guy Contest 2, except with only 64 characters. I think that's simple to understand and I do like it, I wrote this down since I want to see some unpredictability in match-ups without completely relying on random chances.
The current plan is to reseed everyone for the new group assignments for round of 64, primarily based on their finish ranks in the 1st round. We haven't yet decided on how strict we will make the algorithm, since no algorithm can give us perfect group assignments for every possible situation for round 2.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:54 am

Why do, on my mind, I get this kinda weird scene of Maglor doing a livestream in youtube while seeding everyone one by one?
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
matchbaby
Necromancer
Necromancer
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Isla
Melon Pan: 65
Wish: Isla!!! All hail for Isla!!!
Shiro and Sora!! As least win something!!
Same as Illya~!

Post by matchbaby » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:54 am

Reverend wrote:Why do, on my mind, I get this kinda weird scene of Maglor doing a livestream in youtube while seeding everyone one by one?
LOL
That is funny :P

Btw thanks for maglor's explanation, if I have time I will think of some necklace plans and share with you guys.
minhtam1638
Phantom
Phantom
Wish: An endless supply of Coca-Cola. Tax free.

Post by minhtam1638 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:54 pm

Reverend wrote:Why do, on my mind, I get this kinda weird scene of Maglor doing a livestream in youtube while seeding everyone one by one?
That's actually not unprecedented. We actually did do a live draw on IRC chat for 2009 placement.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:25 pm

minhtam1638 wrote:
That's actually not unprecedented. We actually did do a live draw on IRC chat for 2009 placement.
well then a second will be nice :P
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Alphinaud's carbuncle
Melon Pan: 81
2018 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2018 Male Favorite: Kūjō Jōtarō
2017 Female Favorite: Kirigiri Kyōko
2017 Male Favorite: Heiwajima Shizuo
Wish: ZackRay

Post by Kiwigiwi » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:40 pm

A little late for the party but hopefully it's not too late to thank Crisu for all the hard work over the years.
WoodyMC wrote:
Reverend wrote:
Fuijiwara wrote:We will miss you Crisu :(
Lots of changes happening this year. No prelims, no post-season. It's an even bigger change than last year, which may bring about some concerns and confusion on the voters' end.
I'm also a little concerned about the 128 characters for each main tournament getting through right after nominations. It would make a wider range of people interested to vote, sure.. but I can imagine it's going to be hellish keeping track of the progress of so many characters throughout the seasons, even if the period for ISML is shortened. (Do correct me on this if I'm wrong, since I am trying my best to understand the format for this year.)

♡ Secret Santa Daisuki ♡
SecretsShow
♫ Much love to my secret santa of 2016 ♥
Chibasa
[You can (not) Zura]
[You can (not) Zura]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Yamada Naoko
Melon Pan: 120
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Kyon
2017 Female Favorite: Kasumigaoka Utaha
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
Wish: Creating the best card game

Post by Chibasa » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:40 pm

So necklaces will occurs after each round? Maybe taking best performance (VF/VD/VF%) to choose X contestants?
To get 7 necklaces I only saw one way:
1st necklace: After nominations (X people with more ballots).
2nd necklace after group stage.
3rd necklace after Round of 64.
4th necklace after Round of 32.
5th necklace after Round of 16.
6th necklace after Quarterfinals+Seeding matches for top 16.
7th necklace after Semifinals+Seeding matches for top 16.

A necklace after final would be strange. But maybe I missed something ^-^
ImageImage
Secret Santax Time
much more stuff than ToadyShow
ImageImageImageImageImage
Hikarin is the best
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
2017 Female Favorite: Karasuma Chitose
2017 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:00 pm

Kurogarasu wrote:A little late for the party but hopefully it's not too late to thank Crisu for all the hard work over the years.
WoodyMC wrote:
Reverend wrote:
Fuijiwara wrote:We will miss you Crisu :(
Lots of changes happening this year. No prelims, no post-season. It's an even bigger change than last year, which may bring about some concerns and confusion on the voters' end.
I'm also a little concerned about the 128 characters for each main tournament getting through right after nominations. It would make a wider range of people interested to vote, sure.. but I can imagine it's going to be hellish keeping track of the progress of so many characters throughout the seasons, even if the period for ISML is shortened. (Do correct me on this if I'm wrong, since I am trying my best to understand the format for this year.)
Hi. Thanks for your concern. One of the reason we changed the format was because ISML was getting too complicated. While this may seem like a big change, the resulting format is very easy to understand because it's mostly a variation of straight single elimination. Starting with 128, after each round, the number of contestants is halved, eventually leading to 1 winner.

128 -> 64 -> 32 -> 16 -> 8 -> 4 -> 2 -> 1
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
smartboyhw
[Future Overlord]
[Future Overlord]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Isshiki Iroha
Melon Pan: 0
2018 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
2018 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
2017 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
Wish: Shichimiya Satone, Aoyama Nanami and Nakano Azusa to win an ISML prize, Inaba Himeko to win BGC and live in Sakura-sō

Post by smartboyhw » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:33 am

Chibasa wrote:So necklaces will occurs after each round? Maybe taking best performance (VF/VD/VF%) to choose X contestants?
To get 7 necklaces I only saw one way:
1st necklace: After nominations (X people with more ballots).
2nd necklace after group stage.
3rd necklace after Round of 64.
4th necklace after Round of 32.
5th necklace after Round of 16.
6th necklace after Quarterfinals+Seeding matches for top 16.
7th necklace after Semifinals+Seeding matches for top 16.

A necklace after final would be strange. But maybe I missed something ^-^
This is not what we have in plan.
ImageImage

Let me teach you something: We humans... Even for 10 minutes... We cannot even wait that long! - Nakamura Yuri, Angel Beats!
10ZHAbin
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by 10ZHAbin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:37 am

How is seasonal gonna work? 24 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1?
smartboyhw
[Future Overlord]
[Future Overlord]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Isshiki Iroha
Melon Pan: 0
2018 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
2018 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
2017 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
Wish: Shichimiya Satone, Aoyama Nanami and Nakano Azusa to win an ISML prize, Inaba Himeko to win BGC and live in Sakura-sō

Post by smartboyhw » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:37 am

10ZHAbin wrote:How is seasonal gonna work? 24 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1?
24 - 16 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1. Top 8 seeds receive a bye for Tableau of 32.
ImageImage

Let me teach you something: We humans... Even for 10 minutes... We cannot even wait that long! - Nakamura Yuri, Angel Beats!
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Alphinaud's carbuncle
Melon Pan: 81
2018 Female Favorite: Akemi Homura
2018 Male Favorite: Kūjō Jōtarō
2017 Female Favorite: Kirigiri Kyōko
2017 Male Favorite: Heiwajima Shizuo
Wish: ZackRay

Post by Kiwigiwi » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:02 pm

Isla wrote: Hi. Thanks for your concern. One of the reason we changed the format was because ISML was getting too complicated. While this may seem like a big change, the resulting format is very easy to understand because it's mostly a variation of straight single elimination. Starting with 128, after each round, the number of contestants is halved, eventually leading to 1 winner.

128 -> 64 -> 32 -> 16 -> 8 -> 4 -> 2 -> 1
Ah I see! Thank you for clarifying!

♡ Secret Santa Daisuki ♡
SecretsShow
♫ Much love to my secret santa of 2016 ♥
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by maglor » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:10 pm

Reverend wrote:
minhtam1638 wrote:
We can do something similar for the seeding at irc://irc.rizon.net/isml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I do suspect it will be boring because we will decide on the algorithm before nomination period is over, thus most of the spot will be assigned as soon as we have the nomination tally. The main talk will be about exceptions to the algorithm, and KS, RS, and I likes to throw around lots of math terminologies. If math scares you, our talk will be horrifying.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:49 pm

maglor wrote:
Reverend wrote:
minhtam1638 wrote:
We can do something similar for the seeding at irc://irc.rizon.net/isml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I do suspect it will be boring because we will decide on the algorithm before nomination period is over, thus most of the spot will be assigned as soon as we have the nomination tally. The main talk will be about exceptions to the algorithm, and KS, RS, and I likes to throw around lots of math terminologies. If math scares you, our talk will be horrifying.
well, if you make it as detailed as it used to, in order to get the most accurate, of course it'll be boring to most. :P
(this is now no longer a league, a little extra luck element should be fair.)

Just post the schedule here, though, if you really think to open discussion to non-staff, as well. ;)
I'm pretty sure there will be non-forum members who read this thread and are interested with the idea.
akumaxx
Puella magi
Puella magi
Wish: An ISML without harmonics

Post by akumaxx » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:00 pm

Here is part of my choice:
If one character has to be male (which is as stupid as ToC), then Tippy @ Gochiusa.
Otherwise, release this slot.
== Low Activity ==
Current Soul: 269
Newest cards of Saimoe set: (Resized for signature use)
Previous cardsShow