Survey Feedback

The news blog has official ISML News. This forum is for additional news or news from other parts of the ISML Community.
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:
Melon Pan: 55
2017 Female Favorite: Katō Megumi
2017 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma
2016 Female Favorite: Shana
2016 Male Favorite: Araragi Koyomi

Survey Feedback

Post by Homura » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:18 am

Well, sorry for making a somewhat unnecessary thread. I just don't know where to give my feedback, and maybe some of you will also want to use this thread.

Basically, I want to suggest a blank under the question "Which type of character personality do you seem to prefer?", if you really want some good or more specific answers for it, though this question doesn't seem to be that important in the survey. For my case, I'm thinking in between normal and mature. Both are actually bad answers for me, but they look better than the other four. Also, can "We're currently holding a survey in order to listen to your opinions of the tournament" have its Chinese translation on the home page? even this is a little late. Thanks.
Euphony
Beef bowl
Beef bowl
Worships: ojou-samas
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Male Favorite: Usui Takumi

Re: Survey Feedback

Post by Euphony » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:55 pm

Homura wrote:I just don't know where to give my feedback, and maybe some of you will also want to use this thread.

Basically, I want to suggest a blank under the question "Which type of character personality do you seem to prefer?", if you really want some good or more specific answers for it
I also felt constrained by the survey and wanted to say something about it, so thanks for posting this.

Some of the question-specific comments I had:
  • 2. What's your Japanese fluency level? {Fluent, Basic Reading, Basic Vocabulary, Know a few phrases, Little/none}
    • Allow multiple choices, or make a separate question for each of speaking, listening, writing, and reading. I struggled to decide on just one answer.
    13. What do you think is the optimal number of match days per necklace period? {scale from 4 to 16}
    • Optimal for what goal? The answer I wanted to give involved the number of matches per day and the rules of the necklace period, but those aren't addressed in the question. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to assume a certain number of matches per day and a certain size of the contestant group.
    14. How many characters do you want in the necklace match arena? {scale from 5 to 9}
    • Wished this had a text box. I wondered whether or not a voter could select multiple choices in the necklace match. My feedback about necklace matches goes beyond just the number of contestants in the match, so I was disappointed that I couldn't express any of it with this survey.
I'm cautious about making even one new thread on the forum, but if anyone wants to discuss one or more of the topics raised in the survey, I'd like to join or help start those discussions. On this forum or on Discord is fine.
If there are no objections nor more appropriate alternatives, I might just post the responses that I wanted to give for the survey in this thread.
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel
Melon Pan: 75
2017 Female Favorite: Tomori Nao
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
2016 Female Favorite: Miyamori Aoi
2016 Male Favorite: Korosensei
Wish: More people being open to alternatives and compromises.

Post by maglor » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:12 pm

Euphony wrote:
Homura wrote:I just don't know where to give my feedback, and maybe some of you will also want to use this thread.

Basically, I want to suggest a blank under the question "Which type of character personality do you seem to prefer?", if you really want some good or more specific answers for it
I also felt constrained by the survey and wanted to say something about it, so thanks for posting this.

Some of the question-specific comments I had:
  • 2. What's your Japanese fluency level? {Fluent, Basic Reading, Basic Vocabulary, Know a few phrases, Little/none}
    • Allow multiple choices, or make a separate question for each of speaking, listening, writing, and reading. I struggled to decide on just one answer.
    13. What do you think is the optimal number of match days per necklace period? {scale from 4 to 16}
    • Optimal for what goal? The answer I wanted to give involved the number of matches per day and the rules of the necklace period, but those aren't addressed in the question. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to assume a certain number of matches per day and a certain size of the contestant group.
    14. How many characters do you want in the necklace match arena? {scale from 5 to 9}
    • Wished this had a text box. I wondered whether or not a voter could select multiple choices in the necklace match. My feedback about necklace matches goes beyond just the number of contestants in the match, so I was disappointed that I couldn't express any of it with this survey.
I'm cautious about making even one new thread on the forum, but if anyone wants to discuss one or more of the topics raised in the survey, I'd like to join or help start those discussions. On this forum or on Discord is fine.
If there are no objections nor more appropriate alternatives, I might just post the responses that I wanted to give for the survey in this thread.
1. I think we did try to have a translation page. Next time, we will try faster
2. Japanese fluency into multiple categories was considered but we had too many questions to ask.
3. WE got lots of different comments concerning personality. This somehow elicited rather heated argument between some people. We would welcome a thorough dialogue and a better consensus as to how to better ask this question
4. Necklace period length question was more about seeing what people expected. It was deliberately vague
5. Necklace match arena contestant is another question about expectation. I would like to throw another bit into the question. Please tell me if this changes anything : We are seriously considering using Alternative Voting System for the necklace. The voting system is also called Instant Runoff voting

Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:49 pm

Oh great Overlord of ISML Contest maglor,
if Thy be so kind to share with us the voice of the people.
pyururu pyurururururu
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Veon
Salamander
Salamander
Badges:
Melon Pan: 105
2017 Female Favorite: Tōsaka Rin
2016 Female Favorite: Tōsaka Rin
Wish: Contract?

Post by Veon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:20 pm

maglor wrote: Please tell me if this changes anything : We are seriously considering using Alternative Voting System for the necklace. The voting system is also called Instant Runoff voting
Well, that can changes something.
1. Tough life for controversial characters. Characters that have large fanbase, but also large number of haters, can suffer due this, because as much as they have loyal core voters, they wouldn't be able to gather so many people that would chose them as 2nd or 3rd choice.
2. Increase meaning of series popularity. If voters would be in situation to chose from 4 people they know and 4 that don't know, then probality of chosing all those that they know is high. That means, that knowing characters would end as really important, so characters from most popular series would gain advantage.
3. Anti-voting. You don't want certain character to win? Just put every other character before her.

Not to me to judge is this would be change for better or worse.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:53 pm

maglor wrote: Please tell me if this changes anything : We are seriously considering using Alternative Voting System for the necklace. The voting system is also called Instant Runoff voting
well, if you want to see more alternative girls winning...

one good thing is that the powerhouses mv and strong fanbases will negate each others' vote, so... this system is very good for us salty people whose fav girls had lost over and over again in a necklace match.
I, as a member of a #AzucatAlliance, agree to this system.

... unless they strike a deal.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by maglor » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:27 am

http://www.internationalsaimoe.com/stat ... Result.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- Survey results are out. Please comment or ask any questions
renfire
Crimson lord
Crimson lord
Melon Pan: 105
2017 Female Favorite: Sonō Momoka
2017 Male Favorite: Kazehaya Kamito
2016 Female Favorite: Sawamura Spencer Eriri
2016 Male Favorite: Slaine Troyard

Post by renfire » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:49 am

Many people have tsundere preferences and has been voting for 5+ years, maybe this is why Shana is strong this year.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:25 pm

Loli only 19%? Talk about being tsun...
or maybe bcs the question is age, they answered "middle school" instead?
I mean: story-wise Shana is forever 11-12 years old (though technically she's what? 500? years old)
Kafuu Chino is also a middle-schooler.

8% people read our writings
that's around 50 people.... I'm touched :')
Euphony
Beef bowl
Beef bowl
Worships: ojou-samas
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Male Favorite: Usui Takumi

Post by Euphony » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:20 pm

maglor wrote:3. WE got lots of different comments concerning personality. This somehow elicited rather heated argument between some people. We would welcome a thorough dialogue and a better consensus as to how to better ask this question
The question seems like a more abstract version of the essential question of ISML itself, specifically "which character is most moe?". Specifically, "which character types are moe, and which character of each type is most moe?"

Perhaps have voters nominate characters and also list for each character one or more traits that the voter associates with the character. Nomination results could separately have the list of top nominees and the list of top traits. The top nominees enter the main tournament as usual, and the top traits each become an exhibition side tournament, seeded with the associated top nominees for each trait.

I'd post an example right now, but it's taking too long for me to draw up.
maglor wrote:We are seriously considering using Alternative Voting System for the necklace. The voting system is also called Instant Runoff voting
I can't deny that the Alternative Vote system would be an improvement over the current system, though I feel I could quickly convince any rational person that certain other voting systems would be worth using over Alternative/IRV, too.

maglor
~Fukou da~
~Fukou da~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by maglor » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:48 pm

Euphony wrote:
maglor wrote:3. WE got lots of different comments concerning personality. This somehow elicited rather heated argument between some people. We would welcome a thorough dialogue and a better consensus as to how to better ask this question
The question seems like a more abstract version of the essential question of ISML itself, specifically "which character is most moe?". Specifically, "which character types are moe, and which character of each type is most moe?"

Perhaps have voters nominate characters and also list for each character one or more traits that the voter associates with the character. Nomination results could separately have the list of top nominees and the list of top traits. The top nominees enter the main tournament as usual, and the top traits each become an exhibition side tournament, seeded with the associated top nominees for each trait.

I'd post an example right now, but it's taking too long for me to draw up.
maglor wrote:We are seriously considering using Alternative Voting System for the necklace. The voting system is also called Instant Runoff voting
I can't deny that the Alternative Vote system would be an improvement over the current system, though I feel I could quickly convince any rational person that certain other voting systems would be worth using over Alternative/IRV, too.

Using approval voting was considered, but it isn't the best method if there is more than 5 choices, since none of the candidate may be approved by majority of the voters. Still, if it seems that too many people try to game the system we try, we may use approval vote as means of last resort .