Schooling

Everything else, off-topic. Share your thoughts on sports, news, politics, school, gardening, stamp collecting, etc...
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Kinomoto Sakura
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Fluency in Japanese

Schooling

Post by Crisu » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:45 pm

Who's still in school?

Or what do you think of education in general? Are you training to pursue something? A degree or certification? Do you have a dream job? How much free time do you have outside of your schooling?

I'm a college student close to graduating (for a second time with a master's degree) and anxious about final exams. In addition, I'm at the mercy of many employers while looking for a job. Some of you younger guys have it a bit easier being relative comfortable in the school system while our economy is in a weakened state. While public school funding is probably a bit down, at least you have a place to go every day, lunch to eat, and a purpose and goal.

In the college scene, I can see financial aid being able to do less .. and tuition costs increasing, but more often than not, being a student is easier than being a new employee somewhere else, where job security is uncertain.

And if you're already an adult and working, well.. I'm not sure what kinds of issues you'd have since I'm not there just yet. I wonder how much free time you get out of a 40-hour work week to spend on ISML or your other hobbies.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
FNSNA
Season faery
Season faery

Re: Schooling

Post by FNSNA » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:19 pm

Undergrad here
While kinda working at the same time (in a co-op program where I swap work and study for every 4 months)
As for me being able to type this when I'm working...
...>_>....u get the idea
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar
Worships: Takamachi Nanoha
Wish: The past to not weigh me down

Post by Seishi » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:52 pm

Long story short, I have an arts degree half-completed in limbo. Major and minor complications on the way have kinda put my life on hold; it's not like I'm a NEET because I want to be. I really envy you guys.

I live in a different country, but the economy isn't really that much better right now. Cost of living keeps going up.

Ultimately, I want to teach, and at least go overseas for a few years, but I know this will take a complete turn around from my current life situation, something which I am prepared to wait and fight for.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Fate Testarossa
Melon Pan: 105
2019 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2019 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2018 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2018 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
Wish: Perpetual joy for friends and family

Post by Fate » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:19 pm

<--High school junior.
I hope to apply for sufficient financial aid and take advantage of the scholarships granted at my high school and thus, my parents won't have to pay too much for tuition costs. As for my future occupation, not sure what I'll become.
ImageALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!Image
[url=irc://irc.rizon.net/Feitoism]#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net[/url]
Destiny
Osananajimi
Osananajimi

Post by Destiny » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:10 pm

I'm about halfway through getting what you'd probably call a bachelor's degree in mathematics. I just finished end-of-semester exams and they did manage to put me through hell for six weeks, though considering how much work I put into last semester I should have expected it.
Still, I'm planning to get a master's degree as well which means four or more years to go.
Uni is pretty comfortable (if you exclude the semestral hell that are exams), though on wednesdays I have classes until 6pm on most days I have 3-4 free hours every evening.
Afterwards, I have no clue. I have some ideas on what I'd like to do (not teaching; numerical analysis sounds interesting right now) but I haven't picked a specialization yet. But if I get half a chance, I'm going to leave the country for good since I can't see a future here.
Chiharu
Samurai
Samurai

Post by Chiharu » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:40 am

I'm a junior in high school right now. I know what college I'm going to as it's not too far, and I hope I can get a few scholarships so my family doesn't have to pay too much. I don't really know what I want to do, but at least something in the arts or literature. Although my major has been in graphic design whenever I fill out the PSAT, I'm sure that could/will change.
Signature by Ichigo-Sora. | myanimelist.
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:49 am

I'm one of the youngest in the ISML community as a freshman still in high school. I haven't really looked into college/university complications too much yet, but I do wish to pursue computer science as a major and hope for society to still demand these graduates more than 8 years from now >_<. Like others, I'll be striving for scholarships to lessen the load.

I'm also a tad interested in becoming an artist or a novelist, although harsh life may also be part of the package....
SpoilerShow
Corni
~Senior Member~
~Senior Member~
Badges:
Worships: Yoshino Sakura
Melon Pan: 15
2020 Female Favorite: Furuhashi Fumino
2020 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
2019 Female Favorite: Hirasawa Yui
2019 Male Favorite: Rimuru Tempest
2018 Female Favorite: Tenma Gabriel White
2018 Male Favorite: Kanzaki Hideri
Wish: Wanna have daughters someday... Don't care blood or non blood... Maybe meet someone blonde and less than 140cm for marriage...

Post by Corni » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:35 am

Oh i am halfway in my Multimedia major/degree...
I looking forward to sharpen my graphic and writing skill so i hope i can work in eroge company someday...

If not maybe i just work at local TV broadcaster like my father...
Current top ten list August 2020:-
1) Yoshino Sakura (Da Capo) 2) Nikaidou Shinku (Irotoridori no Sekai) 3) Kagamigawa Chloe (Memories Off 6) 4) Tamura Yuri (Watamote) 5) Tsuruta Himeko (Saki) 6) Hibiki (Kancolle) 7) Kujikawa Rise (Persona 4) 8) Sheila Helman (Rance series) 9) Furuhashi Fumino (Bokuben) 10) Adolf Retia (Daiteitoku)
SpoilerShow
waterfall
Dancer
Dancer

Post by waterfall » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:24 am

HS senior waiting to hear back from colleges atm.

For majors, I put down political science/ international relations for all my colleges, bu in reality I am very uncertain. Dunno what I'm gonna do with my life...
Thanks Marinara for the sig. =D
Marinara
Artisan
Artisan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Horo, the Wise Wolf
Wish: Bottomless ramen

Post by Marinara » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:22 am

I'm partway through getting my Master of Arts degree in English. I'm not sure yet what my focus will be for my thesis, but I'm thinking of doing it on Children's literature. I'm doing my MA at the same place I did my undergrad studies, so I'm pretty familiar with all the faculty.
I'm also lucky enough to have a TA-ship to help me pay for schooling. I'm un-lucky in the fact that I have to teach ENGL 111. So in between trying to keep up with my own grad courses and writing up lesson plans for teaching, I try to squeeze in a little anime play >.<
What do I want to do with this degree? To be honest, I have no idea. I think I'll probably end up continuing on to get my PhD, then going on to teach college-level English, be it composition or literature. OR, if I go the lazy route and can afford it, I may try to write children's literature.
Marinara's Anime Blog: Anime B&B
Follow me on Twitter!
Val
Uguu~
Uguu~

Post by Val » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:13 pm

Wow, we have some creative people here. Somehow, I envy you :P

I attended a Law school in France and got my Master, then ended up doing a completely unrelated job in an online games company for one year. Mainly because it sounded fun (^^; ) and it helped to improve my English since the job was in the UK.
Since then I've been living in the UK, currently don't work, but live on the good package I got when I lost my previous job and take my time searching for a new one. Meaning that I have a LOT of free time these days.

And I don't have a precise idea of what I want to do in a far future. Ultimately, I'll probably return to France and seek a good job related to my law studies. Or with my Master, I could enter some administration. Sometimes, I'm thinking about teaching too. I don't really know why, but I like the idea.
FNSNA
Season faery
Season faery

Post by FNSNA » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:25 pm

Val wrote:Wow, we have some creative people here. Somehow, I envy you :P

I attended a Law school in France and got my Master, then ended up doing a completely unrelated job in an online games company for one year. Mainly because it sounded fun (^^; ) and it helped to improve my English since the job was in the UK.
Since then I've been living in the UK, currently don't work, but live on the good package I got when I lost my previous job and take my time searching for a new one. Meaning that I have a LOT of free time these days.

And I don't have a precise idea of what I want to do in a far future. Ultimately, I'll probably return to France and seek a good job related to my law studies. Or with my Master, I could enter some administration. Sometimes, I'm thinking about teaching too. I don't really know why, but I like the idea.
Your not bad either, going to a Law School...Something that I would never be able to do, I envy you and the creative people T_T

as for my degree (I realized that I did not write it before) it something like a double major in Computer Science and Finance [but they called it something funky, in a bad way]. And well, cuz it's a co-op program, I'm working this term... I'm doing too bad in classes right now, but the hardest have yet to come and I do worry if I can really keep going with it... orz orz

As for what I want to do after I get my Bachelor....I donno...that is why I have the co-op to help me to find a job that I might like :roll:
Xellos
Bard
Bard
Melon Pan: 0

Post by Xellos » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:37 pm

Graduated with a BS in Oceanography. I was originally in Computer Science but transferred after I realized I hated programming with a passion. My initial desire was to go into Chemistry, my first love, but I would've had to take 25+ credit hours a semester to catch up by then. Given the other demands of college life at that time, I decided to opt for Oceanography instead. After graduating, I went into nuclear power related training for a year that was probably the equivalent of two years of college. I was in that field for a few years before moving to my current job, which actually deals with oceanography related material. I currently work a strange schedule but I still have plenty of time to pursue my interests. I'll probably be leaving this job in a few years, but I'm not sure what I'm going to pursue next. I can't say that I have a particular vocational goal at the moment. I'm still interested in chemistry, but haven't decided whether I want to go back to school again. I've dabbled with the idea of writing, but that seems like a difficult way to sustain a living, hah.
Motoyama
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel
Worships: Yyk Saigyouji

Post by Motoyama » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:55 pm

^Old People ._.

<Needs to Age Moar =/
Ustnap
Cardcaptor
Cardcaptor

Post by Ustnap » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:04 am

I'm in college right now, going for a bachelors degree in Video Game Development and Design. Total geek, yeah I know. One thing I can say about college is it's not very friendly when mixed with an anime watching/manga reading/game playing lifestyle. Maybe a hint I should stop, but I don't feel like it.
Val
Uguu~
Uguu~

Post by Val » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:36 pm

Ustnap wrote:One thing I can say about college is it's not very friendly when mixed with an anime watching/manga reading/game playing lifestyle. Maybe a hint I should stop, but I don't feel like it.
Why is that ?
I passed my entire college years having quite an otaku/gamer lifestyle in my free time, it was not really a problem. In fact, people seemed more open-minded than in high school, and that was a good thing.
Xellos
Bard
Bard

Post by Xellos » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:59 pm

He's probably talking about his hobbies affecting his academic performance vice social acceptance.
Ustnap
Cardcaptor
Cardcaptor

Post by Ustnap » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:54 pm

Xellos wrote:He's probably talking about his hobbies affecting his academic performance vice social acceptance.
This, somewhat minus the social acceptance thing since many of my friends/classmates also watch anime too. Can't say the same for back in high school though, but that's a whole different story.
Val
Uguu~
Uguu~

Post by Val » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:09 pm

Oh that... all were a matter of balance between watching series/gaming and finding some time to study.
Wait, shouldn't it be the opposite ? ^^'

Anayways, being quite a lazy person I always ended up with some studying-marathon right before the exams to catch up with it... The good thing is that I wasn't alone in that case, working with a friend surely helped.
Xellos
Bard
Bard

Post by Xellos » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:46 pm

Ustnap wrote:
Xellos wrote:He's probably talking about his hobbies affecting his academic performance vice social acceptance.
This, somewhat minus the social acceptance thing since many of my friends/classmates also watch anime too. Can't say the same for back in high school though, but that's a whole different story.
Yeah, that's why I said "vice". Basically, you were talking about how it affects your academics "instead of" your social acceptance.