Mahjong! (+Official Tenhou room)

Everything else, off-topic. Share your thoughts on sports, news, politics, school, gardening, stamp collecting, etc...
Matteas
Osananajimi
Osananajimi
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Hakamada Hinata to get into the regular season.

Re: Mahjong! (+Official Tenhou room)

Post by Matteas » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:39 pm

akumaxx wrote:Many started mahjong after Saki.
But I must say: You are without abnormal ability, do not try to play Saki style.
Yeah, most certainly. Like, don't try to get yourself into jigoku-machi, believing that the very one tile you need will come.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Matteas wrote:
akumaxx wrote:Many started mahjong after Saki.
But I must say: You are without abnormal ability, do not try to play Saki style.
Yeah, most certainly. Like, don't try to get yourself into jigoku-machi, believing that the very one tile you need will come.
It is a viable strategy for tricking people into thinking your tile is the safe one. But then, unless you're capable of slamming tiles, I guess it's better to play safe.
SpoilerShow
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2020 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2020 Male Favorite: Ishigami Yū
2019 Female Favorite: Tōma Kazusa
2019 Male Favorite: Ayanokōji Kiyotaka
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
Wish: My definition of peace and tranquility.

Post by Momento10 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:03 am

Just my luckShow
Yakuman
Berserker
Berserker
Worships: Kurumi-sama *.*
Wish: more

Post by Yakuman » Fri May 20, 2011 4:07 am

Pretty strange that I haven't posted here with a username like mine, but since I'm about to show you the compilation of my saved hands, I'm no longer missing from this thread :P
I'm nidan-ranked on Tenhou with a rating of ~1600 and I played about ~750 games so far. My winning percentage is rubbish though, since I had no idea what I was doing for the first 100 matches or so.

My only yakuman so far, I love careless guys who dare to discard such a risky tile.
daisangenShow
I saved this one for the ryanpeikou, it's an east baiman as well so it's not that worthless.
riichi, tsumo, tanyao, pinfu, ryanpeikou, ura uraShow
Nagashi mangan is fun. Especially if the player on your right is tenpai for Kokushi Musou :P
nagashi manganShow
As far as I remember, this is my highest dora count. Another east baiman.
toitoi, tanyao, dora roku, aka ichiShow
And the last one is a fresh memory. I had three more haneman in this game besides this sanbaiman and I ended up with a +101 score in the end. With a tsumo, this hand would have been worth 3 han more (tsumo+sanankou) for a kazoe yakuman, but I guess I have no room to complain :P
riichi, yaku pai, hon'itsu, dora san, aka ichi, ura sanShow
Hurry up and make a contract with me! ◕‿‿◕ ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
defeated but not forgotten favoritesShow
ImageImageImage
Materials used in the sig are courtesy of Marinara, ppizzapie, Hikari-chan and Annabloem
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: Erika Sendou
Melon Pan: 181
Wish: a kookie?

Post by kanohistorm » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:20 am

Vivid MJ player for HK-style. I play this with my friends in real life.

Just starting to learn riichi-mahjong over the past month. Dont have friends to have with, so I have on pc/android vs AIs.
Some of my more impressive/funny winsShow
Thirteen Orphans/Terminals:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1932424/13yakus.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All honors/terminals:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1932424/honorifics.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pure suit Sanbaiman:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1932424/sanbai.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lol winning streak:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1932424/79MJ2.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
spoiler alert :3
Yakuman
Berserker
Berserker
Worships: Kurumi-sama *.*
Wish: more

Post by Yakuman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:56 am

I'm getting a lot of connection errors on Tenhou lately. I can barely play, the serves doesn't let me in. Anyone else has this kind of problem? Are there anyone who still plays there? xD
Hurry up and make a contract with me! ◕‿‿◕ ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
defeated but not forgotten favoritesShow
ImageImageImage
Materials used in the sig are courtesy of Marinara, ppizzapie, Hikari-chan and Annabloem
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster

Post by kanohistorm » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:24 am

bump for Saki-Achiga
SpoilerShow
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 0
Wish: Miracles

Post by RegalStar » Thu May 03, 2012 5:32 am

I wonder what the other three players were planning at this pointShow
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2020 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2020 Male Favorite: Ishigami Yū
2019 Female Favorite: Tōma Kazusa
2019 Male Favorite: Ayanokōji Kiyotaka
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
Wish: My definition of peace and tranquility.

Post by Momento10 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Does anyone else want to play in the ISML lobby with me? Shout out when you are on and when you are free.
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RegalStar » Sat May 05, 2012 4:51 am

Spot what's wrong with this pictureShow
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RegalStar » Sun May 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Double post but
chinrōtōShow
aly_angelflight
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel
Worships: Miyanaga Saki
Wish: A job to just land on my lap

Post by aly_angelflight » Mon May 07, 2012 11:48 pm

RegalStar wrote:
Haha, lucky dealer. The game calculated that hand like it was worth 2 more fan. XD

My most recent game ^^;:
http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2012050807gm-0 ... f7ca4&tw=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:

Post by Eater-of-All » Tue May 08, 2012 12:37 am

Got a double yakuman from a single-tile wait suuankou in Janryumon. First double yakuman I've ever seen. :bigsmile:
SpoilerShow
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RegalStar » Tue May 08, 2012 3:37 am

aly_angelflight wrote:
RegalStar wrote:
Haha, lucky dealer. The game calculated that hand like it was worth 2 more fan. XD
The point is more... just look at what the dealer discarded on the first round.
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RegalStar » Tue May 22, 2012 8:09 am

Achiga episode 7 - pop quizShow
So, to recap, it's currently all last and Shizuno is in 3rd place, 11900 points behind 2nd place. Both 4th place and 1st place are comfortably out of reach (for good and for bad). 1st place is currently dealer meaning no renchan afterwards. Thus, Shizuno either needs to ron off 2nd place for 6400+, or tsumo/ron off someone else for haneman+. She also has to get 2nd place here or her school is out of the tournament.

After failing to win two attempts in a row on the last tile needed, she now has the following hand:

11m 1223999p 2233s drawn 3p (dora 1m)

Discarding 9p and go for chitoi/seven pairs waiting on 1p is obvious here, but should she declare riichi or choose to dama-ten here?

(In the actual episode, the left side player discarded 1p on the same go-around, which Shizuno had to let pass. She then discarded a useless 8p on the next turn; Senriyama discarded 4p, and in a blatant display of lack of intelligence, Kentani chose to discard 1p (as opposed to the perfectly safe 9p in her hand) and Shizuno got her reversal. If Shizuno DID choose to riichi, she also would've been able to ron off the 1p off her left side player and get a haneman and get her reversal. However, the question is on the process.)
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:

Post by Eater-of-All » Wed May 23, 2012 2:49 am

RegalStar wrote:
Achiga episode 7 - pop quizShow
So, to recap, it's currently all last and Shizuno is in 3rd place, 11900 points behind 2nd place. Both 4th place and 1st place are comfortably out of reach (for good and for bad). 1st place is currently dealer meaning no renchan afterwards. Thus, Shizuno either needs to ron off 2nd place for 6400+, or tsumo/ron off someone else for haneman+. She also has to get 2nd place here or her school is out of the tournament.

After failing to win two attempts in a row on the last tile needed, she now has the following hand:

11m 1223999p 2233s drawn 3p (dora 1m)

Discarding 9p and go for chitoi/seven pairs waiting on 1p is obvious here, but should she declare riichi or choose to dama-ten here?

(In the actual episode, the left side player discarded 1p on the same go-around, which Shizuno had to let pass. She then discarded a useless 8p on the next turn; Senriyama discarded 4p, and in a blatant display of lack of intelligence, Kentani chose to discard 1p (as opposed to the perfectly safe 9p in her hand) and Shizuno got her reversal. If Shizuno DID choose to riichi, she also would've been able to ron off the 1p off her left side player and get a haneman and get her reversal. However, the question is on the process.)
Seems more like a preference thing than anything. I'm obviously not good enough to read the situation so clearly if I was in Shizu's place, but assuming that I did, I would just riichi anyway. The disadvantage is that it puts everyone on guard more, maybe even enough for the gal left of me to not play the 1-pin, and therefore I lose the ippatsu. I can still hope that I ron off of 2nd place, I tsumo, or I get a lucky ura-dora though. Basically, it relies more on luck. But most importantly, as you know, I'm just the offensive type. :ascii120:

Deciding not to riichi is, I suppose, the more strategic option. It makes the goal very simple: to ron the 2nd place. And tenpai chiitoi is like the ultimate hand to target people with; you can literally change your wait everytime you draw in addition to being hard to read. Total mindgame.
SpoilerShow
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RegalStar » Sat May 26, 2012 12:45 am

The correct answer is to Riichi. Yes, if someone else plays a non-ippatsu 1p you'll have to let it pass and go in furiten, but then if you don't, you can only ron off 2nd place as well. The chance of everyone drawing 1p is the same, so obviously counting on yourself drawing an 1p is superior than counting on 2nd place to not only draw the 1p, but also discard it. (and I'm ignoring the possibility of ippatsu, or 2nd place playing 1p before you go in furiten.) Also, it's true that declaring Riichi causes other people to go defensive, but that also increases your chance of getting a tsumo (because they're less likely to try to win get ahead of you). (It's not really applicable in this situation, though - both 4th and 1st place has nothing to lose essentially, and 2nd place should already be defending against you.)
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:

Post by Eater-of-All » Sun May 27, 2012 6:03 am

RegalStar wrote:The correct answer is to Riichi. Yes, if someone else plays a non-ippatsu 1p you'll have to let it pass and go in furiten, but then if you don't, you can only ron off 2nd place as well. The chance of everyone drawing 1p is the same, so obviously counting on yourself drawing an 1p is superior than counting on 2nd place to not only draw the 1p, but also discard it. (and I'm ignoring the possibility of ippatsu, or 2nd place playing 1p before you go in furiten.) Also, it's true that declaring Riichi causes other people to go defensive, but that also increases your chance of getting a tsumo (because they're less likely to try to win get ahead of you). (It's not really applicable in this situation, though - both 4th and 1st place has nothing to lose essentially, and 2nd place should already be defending against you.)
But there would be no Akagi moment of mindscrewing your one specific opponent to deal into you. =(
SpoilerShow
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster

Post by kanohistorm » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:46 pm

i wonder if people here still play this...

http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2012082317gm-0 ... 450ed&tw=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ made one big mistake that made the game interesting, but otherwise- pretty well
RegalStar
[Countryside Loli]
[Countryside Loli]
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RegalStar » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:23 pm

I still play pretty regularly.
kanohistorm wrote:i wonder if people here still play this...

http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2012082317gm-0 ... 450ed&tw=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ made one big mistake that made the game interesting, but otherwise- pretty well
East 1: Although you had some godly incoming luck to make that chin'itsu, I wouldn't call it a sound strategy. You had two tatsu in the other suits, and could've easily go for riichi pinfu tanyao and/or dora 1 (it could easily be worth as much, or maybe even more than chin'itsu), or fall back to open tanyao dora 1 if thinigs get dicey. Going for chin'itsu with only 7 of a suit in hand depends too much on luck (keep in mind that with 18 draws you would've drew about 5 of one suit on average, never mind that you have to arrange them into a winning hand).

East 2: Opening up a daiminkan without a yaku in hand is too risky a play. First of all, while calling first and get yaku later (atozuke) is done occasionally, I wouldn't do it on a hand that doesn't look like it'll be worth more than 1000/1300 anytime soon, since it makes you dependent on that yaku you don't have for certain right now. Secondly, keep in mind that kanning can just be as likely to be assistance to your opponents as it can be to you. Actually more so, since by opening your hand you're forfeitting riichi (and thus uradora) right there.

East 3: Fair enough.

East 4: Image
The chii on 4s is very well made, but the pon on 6s is not. 5667s is a VERY good shape (you can call chii, or complete a set by drawing any of 4578s), but by ponning the 6s, not only are you breaking the shape, you're also leaving that 5s basically standed. Shapes like 5667, 4567, and to some extent 4568 and 5677 should not be broken casually, as they're very flexible when on hand.

Dealing into that 12000 is unfortunate, but when your own hand could easily fetch even more (chin'itsu dora1 on dealer is 18000), I wouldn't call it a mistake, especially since his hand is 1) not guaranteed to be in tenpai and 2) his hand could've been anywhere from 2600 to 12000.

South 1: Why cut 4p? I know you can get san'ankou if you tsumo, but with East already declared Riichi, you want to win the hand ASAP, not draw it out even longer.

South 2: Fair enough.

South 3: With four pairs chitoi/toitoi is a possible direction, but don't let it blind you. You could've easily gotten something like mentanpin iipeko dora, which could easily get haneman, instead of the 3000-4000 points a chitoi/toitoi hand could provide for you.

South 3 1honba: Fair enough.

South 3 2honba: Know that chanta sucks. Honroutou is better though.

South 4: Fair enough. Riichi is unnecessary when you're already leading, though.