Mahjong! (+Official Tenhou room)

Everything else, off-topic. Share your thoughts on sports, news, politics, school, gardening, stamp collecting, etc...
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Kinomoto Sakura
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Fluency in Japanese

Re: Mahjong! (+Official Tenhou room)

Post by Crisu » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:16 am

Question for the players who know the rules better than I do! ^^;
mahjongQ1.png
Mahjong question
mahjongQ1.png (143.07 KiB) Viewed 5383 times
The game gives me the option to ron, but when I choose it, it says "No multiplier."

What am I doing wrong..? :) All I can do is either chii or pass up on it.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
HinaSukiSuki
Gym leader
Gym leader
Worships: Katsura Hinagiku
Wish: Graduate from high school with good grades.

Post by HinaSukiSuki » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:41 pm

Crisu wrote:Question for the players who know the rules better than I do! ^^;
mahjongQ1.png
The game gives me the option to ron, but when I choose it, it says "No multiplier."

What am I doing wrong..? :) All I can do is either chii or pass up on it.
I think its because your hand is too small. In Japanese mahjong, a hand of a minimum of 1 han is required, but your hand... I'd say it's utter crap, not worth anything. Thats why you can't ron.

I think. .__.

Is the mahjong fad over? There isn't a single person in #1537 nowadays, so lonely T^T

EDIT: Actually, does it say 'Furi-ten' if you can't ron? If it does, then I'm wrong.
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Kinomoto Sakura
Wish: Fluency in Japanese

Post by Crisu » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:58 pm

Furi-ten, I believe, is when I try to win on a tile I discarded earlier in the game (which I can't do). But that's not the case here.

Yeah, I think you're right about my hand; Basaka confirmed it, too. I had thought that ANY four sets plus a pair will qualify a winning hand, but I guess at least one of those sets has to be special ... like made of honor tiles. Or it would have to be a special hand like "all sequences" or "all terminals (1's and 9's)".

He gave the advice of keeping your hand concealed more whenever possible. So I've been pon'ing only on honor tiles since those are good, but I think I try to ignore the other possible calls and win a more standard way.

I'm not sure if the fad is gone forever; if you come on IRC and poke enough people, they might get in a room again.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:18 am

I'll probably play mahjong if anyone asks, given that I'm around in IRC of course (I rarely am nowadays).

And about concealing one's hands... I've totally given up on doing it. I've probably scored a pinfu (closed; all sequences) only once ever in all my mahjong days, and the riichi button is almost always alien to me. My luck just wouldn't last me through the round, so I've always optted to either go for hon'itsu (one suit + honors), toitoi (four open triplets), or a chanta/junchan (all terminals or with honors). Occasionally I would go for an open tan'yao (no terminals, no honors) if I have some doras, but as luck would have it, it hardly ever comes to fruition....
SpoilerShow
Juice
Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge
Wish: To successfully guide students on their path.

Post by Juice » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:20 am

Crisu wrote:Furi-ten, I believe, is when I try to win on a tile I discarded earlier in the game (which I can't do). But that's not the case here.

Yeah, I think you're right about my hand; Basaka confirmed it, too. I had thought that ANY four sets plus a pair will qualify a winning hand, but I guess at least one of those sets has to be special ... like made of honor tiles. Or it would have to be a special hand like "all sequences" or "all terminals (1's and 9's)".

He gave the advice of keeping your hand concealed more whenever possible. So I've been pon'ing only on honor tiles since those are good, but I think I try to ignore the other possible calls and win a more standard way.

I'm not sure if the fad is gone forever; if you come on IRC and poke enough people, they might get in a room again.
Ron on a concealed hand gives you 1 han, what you needed. It took me reading my roommates book on mahjong to fully understand that.
New Saimoe Podcast!
GTO--an inspiration to my next stage in life.
imbehindyou
Time traveler
Time traveler
Worships: Rena
Wish: Becoming Pokemon Master.  Wishes for: Becoming teh Master Hater.  Wishes for: James' Victreebel & Mime Jr. Secret Identity: I am a robot. 

Post by imbehindyou » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:58 am

Crisu wrote:What am I doing wrong..? :) All I can do is either chii or pass up on it.
As HinaSukiSuki already said, you have no han.

Easiest way to get 1 han is to call richi, go for tanyao/kuitan, or by having triplet/quad of dragon (white), 發, 中, wind of the round, or wind of your position.

It's easier to get to tenpai (one tile away from declaring mahjong) when you have sequences rather than pairs, especially if you are thinking of declaring richi. Tanyao is basically all simples; kuitan is the same except you have open hands.

------------

Anyway, I've been playing on Tenhou a lot.. and got to 初段 few weeks ago but yesterday I failed miserably and went down to 1級. Also, recently, I've been playing 3-people-mahjong (or whatever you call it) more. It's pretty fun. Got my first yakuman - Kokushi Musou - few days ago.
HinaSukiSuki
Gym leader
Gym leader

Post by HinaSukiSuki » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:16 pm

This is slaughter. 1 Baiman + 1 Haneman + 1 Mangan and a couple of small hands turned me into a monster. Finished off with 73000 pts + XD

EDIT: I take that back after looking at Eater's records and seeing a guy with +111 pts. Sigh...
Xalathal
Dakimakura
Dakimakura
Worships: Haruhi Suzumiya
Wish: Fujibayashi Ryou to win a necklace.

Post by Xalathal » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

I know the Japanese rules. When i was playing i was pretty good i think, but i stopped playing too much recently. If you want a player, i am in for a game. (I logged in to the ISML room but found noone =/)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar
Worships: Takamachi Nanoha
2017 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2017 Male Favorite: Emiya Kiritsugu
Wish: The past to not weigh me down

Post by Seishi » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:19 am

Reviving this thread. I've recently started playing mahjong after a rather length break. I'm sure we can get some games going this season.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Xalathal
Dakimakura
Dakimakura
Worships: Haruhi Suzumiya
Wish: Fujibayashi Ryou to win a necklace.

Post by Xalathal » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:20 pm

I have also many days, or should i say one and a half month, to play. It would be great to play some games. If you find people and i am not around to know it, i might be lurking/idling at irc.
ImageImageImageImageImage
aly_angelflight
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel
Worships: Miyanaga Saki
Wish: A job to just land on my lap

Post by aly_angelflight » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:57 am

Today must be my lucky day. ^^;

At first, I had a yakuless hand. I called riichi once I could, and several rounds afterwards, I called a concealled kan (there was no reason not to, after all). About two or three draws later, I drew the winning tile. That was two han. I had one copy of the kan dora, which gave me yet another han. I flipped over the ura-dora indicators, and they were a pair. Quite conveniently, my kan was of the ura-dora, so I ended up grabbing myself an 11 han hand--and to think this was the first (and only) hand of the game! (I was playing a one-hand game, by the way.)
Corni
~Senior Member~
~Senior Member~
Badges:
Worships: Yoshino Sakura
Melon Pan: 15
2018 Female Favorite: Tenma Gabriel White
2018 Male Favorite: Kanzaki Hideri
2017 Female Favorite: Edna
2017 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
Wish: Wanna have daughters someday... Don't care blood or non blood... Maybe meet someone blonde and less than 140cm for marriage...

Post by Corni » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:33 pm

Seriously today is my bad day, tenpai 13 waits for Kokushi Musou but ron'd. The most worst two times last place with -60. Can pull out 2 daisangen but keep ron'd by some random people. After that i get bad draws like final match in Saki. Someone have Koromo power ;___;. Oh well i need keep positive and playing mahjong regularly to increase and sharpening my skill.
Look up high into the beautiful sky, with a steady gaze. Lets commit this moment to our memories.
We will make the beautiful sky even brighter. I will embrace you and your wings.
I want to protect that radiance. It is what keeps me going.
#eramalaysiabaru
SpoilerShow
Quote from song lyric BEAUTIFUL SKY by Hikasa Yoko, Yukana, Shimoda Asami, Hanazawa Kana, Inoue Marina, Saito Chiwa, and Mimori Suzuko from Infinite Stratos 2 ED
aly_angelflight
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel

Post by aly_angelflight » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:37 pm

I was two away from tenpai from the draw, one from tenpai the second draw, tenpai the third, and won off of self-draw the fourth. (I got an extra two han because of a bug in the game that gave me double riichi despite never calling riichi, let alone in round one.)

EDIT: Darn, the one occasion I'm tenpai for Three Little Dragons, I end up tenpai. (Oh well, at least that ended the endless East 4 and brought me up from 7600 points. XD)

...Only to be dropped down to 4900 next round. (I should've stuck with all pairs... I would've won that round off of tsumo!)

EDIT 2: Hah, I decided to not waste my time trying to go for tanyao and ended up getting the dealer in a ron! (If I had called riichi when I first had it, I would've called it on West instead. I would've still had 40 fu 3 fan, though!)
imbehindyou
Time traveler
Time traveler
Wish: Becoming Pokemon Master.  Wishes for: Becoming teh Master Hater.  Wishes for: James' Victreebel & Mime Jr. Secret Identity: I am a robot. 

Post by imbehindyou » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:24 am

Well, even though it was 3-person mahjong, I pulled off Kokushi Musou three days in a row! Must be my crazy luck week!
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:12 am

imbehindyou wrote:Well, even though it was 3-person mahjong, I pulled off Kokushi Musou three days in a row! Must be my crazy luck week!
...And I still haven't gotten a straight yakuman up to this date (gotten a kazoe recently though).

But now you better watch out; the mahjong gods know when to feed you sugar and when to feed you... something else. :twisted:
SpoilerShow
imbehindyou
Time traveler
Time traveler

Post by imbehindyou » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:50 am

Eater-of-All wrote:
imbehindyou wrote:Well, even though it was 3-person mahjong, I pulled off Kokushi Musou three days in a row! Must be my crazy luck week!
...And I still haven't gotten a straight yakuman up to this date (gotten a kazoe recently though).

But now you better watch out; the mahjong gods know when to feed you sugar and when to feed you... something else. :twisted:
Oh yes.
I've been hit with the dreadful "You can't be 1st place even if you are leading by liek gazillion points because some miracle will happen and you will go down to 2nd / 3rd / 4th place"
akumaxx
Puella magi
Puella magi
Wish: An ISML without harmonics

Post by akumaxx » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:38 am

Late here.
A 3-person one is crazy in making big hands
Will translate some rules I sorted at Thproject(forum)
Forget to mention that I am 二段 for 4 players and 初段 for 3
== Low Activity ==
Current Soul: 269
Newest cards of Saimoe set: (Resized for signature use)
Previous cardsShow
HinaSukiSuki
Gym leader
Gym leader

Post by HinaSukiSuki » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:40 pm

SpoilerShow
All I can say is 'sweeped'.
Toady
[School Idol Producer]
[School Idol Producer]
Badges:
Worships: Tsuruya-san
2017 Female Favorite: Nakano Azusa
2017 Male Favorite: Yang Wenli
Wish: A wedding for Nico & Maki

Post by Toady » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:35 pm

Impressive. it's too often the exact opposite for me.

Three days ago, though, I won this :
SpoilerShow
I ron'd the CPU in front and he went under zero. Anyway, we were in South 4. But the thing is that we made lots of draws from the beginning of South 3, so I wont three Riichi sticks and 10 x 300 points bonus =D But I finished 2nd anyway ^^
Much stuff (but Chibaka has more)Show
#Drunkard4Ever #ThanksKiwi
My Secret Santa is awesome :3

Hikarin <3
Thank you Secret Santa 2016 :3
aly_angelflight
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel

Post by aly_angelflight » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:39 am

I somehow managed to get rinshan kaihou just now. (The hand itself was only worth two han, and I ended up with 7 han...) ^.^;

EDIT 1/28: Grr... If I had won that last hand, I would've had a dealer's sanbaiman, but unfortunately, I'm stuck with tenpai and a current standing of 3rd place. (Even better--no one has enough points to survive a ron, and a tsumo would have left the person sitting to my left with an easily-reduceable 2,000 points.)

At the end of the wind... Oh well, I won with a bunch of tsumos, but for some reason, the game decided to end while I was still sitting dealer. (I had just won a hand, and the score came up. No one was below zero.

Another time... How in the world did I have Chanta as a pattern three hands in a row (1st and last being actual wins and 2nd being just riichi)? (Two hands later: darn, I almost had kokushi...)