CISPA - Worse than SOPA?

Everything else, off-topic. Share your thoughts on sports, news, politics, school, gardening, stamp collecting, etc...
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem
Worships: Moriya Suwako's hat
Melon Pan: 50
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Eugeo
2018 Female Favorite: Yamada Elf
2018 Male Favorite: Willem Kmetsch
2017 Female Favorite: Darkness
2017 Male Favorite: Roy Mustang
Wish: A third season of Spice and Wolf.

CISPA - Worse than SOPA?

Post by Kordosa » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:48 pm

So if you remember this thread, SOPA/PIPA were tangentially related.

Now, it seems another piece of legislation might make matters worse.

PC Magazine article
Wikipedia article

As with SOPA and PIPA, the wording in CISPA is so broad that it could easily be abused which is why the EFF and others oppose it. However, as the PC Magazine article notes, many large corporations support it.
Last edited by Kordosa on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
shiraoky wrote:I'm always squeeing lol.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.
akumaxx
Puella magi
Puella magi
Wish: An ISML without harmonics

Re: CISPA - Worst than SOPA?

Post by akumaxx » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:40 am

If the disaster of 2012 is US ruling the world? STOP IT!
== Low Activity ==
Current Soul: 269
Newest cards of Saimoe set: (Resized for signature use)
Previous cardsShow
Jeffrey-sama
Soul gem
Soul gem
Wish: K-ON! Season 3

Re: CISPA - Worst than SOPA?

Post by Jeffrey-sama » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:33 am

Here we go again...
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Minakami Yuki; Takako X Runa; Mioda Ibuki; Toono Ren... It's a long-ass list.
Wish: To keep on taking it easy, and to keep my mind limber.

Re: CISPA - Worse than SOPA?

Post by Metaler » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:47 am

The people's opposition to SOPA clearly showed the government that they don't fuck with people. To me, it just seems that these asshats are afraid that they're losing the power they've been having for the past few decades. They don't seem to realize that times change, new technologies are invented, and society must adapt to new concepts.

It's still funny though... Large could make a pretty penny out of the internet, yet they're going out of their way to destroy it. They could fix this problem properly, but no; instead, they decide to just blow the whole thing to hell. Yep.

It's time for these bunch of old men to either adapt themselves to what's being introduced to the people, or to just sit down with their thumbs up their asses and die. We need the new generation to take over. Or complete anarchy. Whatever goes.
"Care about people's approval and you will be their prisoner" ~Lao Tzu
JLoable91
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Izayoi Sakuya
Wish: Gotta nom 'em all!~

Post by JLoable91 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:07 am

Not this again...
Does this mean some sites will close for a day or two (again)?
And you already took Megaupload! >:s
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Minakami Yuki; Takako X Runa; Mioda Ibuki; Toono Ren... It's a long-ass list.

Post by Metaler » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:14 am

^ Well, SOPA never had anything to do with the Megaupload case, it was just coincidental; Kim Dotcom was already under investigation years prior to SOPA. But if you're referring to the Government in general, then yeah, they're a bunch of asshats who are better off six feet under than shoving dicks up our asses. Seriously, every word spouted by a politician is the same as one massive gangbang rape: just when you think it's over, another dipshit comes up to fuck you once again.
JLoable91
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Izayoi Sakuya
Wish: Gotta nom 'em all!~

Post by JLoable91 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:39 am

Metaler wrote:^ Well, SOPA never had anything to do with the Megaupload case, it was just coincidental; Kim Dotcom was already under investigation years prior to SOPA. But if you're referring to the Government in general, then yeah, they're a bunch of asshats who are better off six feet under than shoving dicks up our asses. Seriously, every word spouted by a politician is the same as one massive gangbang rape: just when you think it's over, another dipshit comes up to fuck you once again.
Yeah, it's the goverment in general... They have better things to do than trolling us innocent souls on the internet!~
xcrossfacekillahx
Incubator
Incubator
Worships: Rosario Cross
Wish: A very good tournament and more cookies. Moehood to reign

Post by xcrossfacekillahx » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:34 am

The government really doesn't give a shit about people. They want attention and elections are coming up so I can see the reason why all these bullshit start popping out. CISPA/SOPA/PIPA/ACTA whatever it is them asshats trying to pull are just part of the plan to get their attention. Sure these old farts can die and then who will replace them? Probably motherfuckers who don't know shit about the government. Then it's like a cycle.

Sometimes it makes me think that the people that put these old people into office really don't think twice before they vote. Who are the fools now? I bet these government puppets, lackeys, cronies laughing at us right now and not doing anything useful.
Chikara Icy
Mad scientist
Mad scientist
Wish: A better life

Post by Chikara Icy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:38 am

Oh my, please not do it again... :(
If the government close all websites including social networks. The world like might be back to 70s... T-T
Teaspoon
Cherry blossom
Cherry blossom

Post by Teaspoon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:05 pm

I'm more concerned about the upcoming surveillance drones and the assassinations of citizens that will be disguised as "stopping domestic terrorism".

Fuck you, Obama.
Dusk252
Dryad
Dryad
Worships: Akemi Homura
Wish: to fix my messed-up life.

Post by Dusk252 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:18 pm

Teaspoon wrote:I'm more concerned about the upcoming surveillance drones and the assassinations of citizens that will be disguised as "stopping domestic terrorism".
Lovely prediction indeed.

Well, I'll hold my words on the CISPA issue since... everything has already been said. And I couldn't agree any more.
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami

Post by Metaler » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:47 pm

Teaspoon wrote:I'm more concerned about the upcoming surveillance drones and the assassinations of citizens that will be disguised as "stopping domestic terrorism".

Fuck you, Obama.
Ironically, I bought a copy of 1984 today.
superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Worships: Akiba
Wish: Rabu touch!

Post by superunature » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:10 pm

The purpose of any anti-piracy acts is to prevent people from freeloading.
Companies do not want to spend millions of dollars to develop software, movies, or other medias so you(and I) can grab it for free online.
most of the legislation does not start with the government themselves but with corporations, artists, other stakeholders complaining about loss of revenue, even if you(or I) wasn't going to buy it regardless.
Although obviously I don't want such thing to pass either, I do see their point of view.
and just like Virus and Anti-virus softwares, they can keep blocking it, but there is always new ways around it.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:23 pm

superunature wrote:The purpose of any anti-piracy acts is to prevent people from freeloading.
Companies do not want to spend millions of dollars to develop software, movies, or other medias so you(and I) can grab it for free online.
most of the legislation does not start with the government themselves but with corporations, artists, other stakeholders complaining about loss of revenue, even if you(or I) wasn't going to buy it regardless.
Although obviously I don't want such thing to pass either, I do see their point of view.
and just like Virus and Anti-virus softwares, they can keep blocking it, but there is always new ways around it.
Exactly why trying to block it doesn't even make sense.
If it's going to happen anyways, why not spend your energy trying to make money off of it instead? Or do something like providing low-quality goods for free, but charging for the higher quality stuff people would want (already happens btw)?
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami

Post by Metaler » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Yeah, I have to agree that piracy is not really a good thing, especially for smaller companies/artists/developers/etc.

But I still think companies should sit down with a thumb up their asses and take it. Times are changing. This isn't the 20th century anymore. Either you adapt to your surroundings, or you die.

Also, Arcion took the words out of my mouth.
superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device

Post by superunature » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:51 pm

even if they provide low quality for free, would you want it? or would you rather pirate the higher, better quality just as easy?
companies used to be able to make lots of money when internet piracy was not an issue, such as Blockbuster, or anime industry in general. Now to survive, they will do whatever they can to adapt to the current times, which includes persuading governments to pass anti-piracy laws. If they instead do nothing and let the surrounding control them, then the likelihood of them going out of business is much greater.

any laws is just a deterrence, it will not prevent something from happening, just reduces the number of occurrence.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:

Post by Bastion » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:02 pm

superunature wrote:even if they provide low quality for free, would you want it?
Yes, less space (when I downloaded and saved it myself) and less focus on the non-storyline stuff (visuals) is exactly what I'm looking for. There is a market for it, it's just not the mainstream, which is the ones they're trying to sell to, plus it gives us a 'taste' of what the higher quality stuff is gonna be like.
superunature
Intelligent device
Intelligent device

Post by superunature » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:13 pm

PV is to give you a taste of the show.
if you want to see what the higher quality stuff is gonna be like, for fair use, you can legally keep it as long as you delete it within 24hours of not owning actual copy for "Educational, research purpose" disclaimer.
not like any of us do anyways, just simply too expensive.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:

Post by Bastion » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:37 pm

superunature wrote:PV is to give you a taste of the show.
if you want to see what the higher quality stuff is gonna be like, for fair use, you can legally keep it as long as you delete it within 24hours of not owning actual copy for "Educational, research purpose" disclaimer.
not like any of us do anyways, just simply too expensive.
Not looking for a taste of the show, looking for a taste of the episode.
'Higher quality' stuff is used continually already (see broadcast vs DVD versions) of anime, generally depicted as 'censored and uncensored' versions of echii shows, Princess Lover anime has two versions of it's run done like this.
There's no difference in expense either, shooting takes place (once) at the higher end, then broadcasting it at a lower quality, while the DVDs are made by the, already made, higher quality media that they have access to.
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem
Worships: Moriya Suwako's hat
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Eugeo
2018 Female Favorite: Yamada Elf
2018 Male Favorite: Willem Kmetsch
2017 Female Favorite: Darkness
2017 Male Favorite: Roy Mustang
Wish: A third season of Spice and Wolf.

Post by Kordosa » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:01 am

Did anyone actually read either of the articles before spouting anti-government rhetoric or bringing up online piracy?
PC Magazine wrote:The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, or CISPA, focuses on defending companies from cyber-attacks and theft. While SOPA focused on giving broad tools to copyright holders and law enforcement authorities to go after pirates and copyright infringement, CISPA addresses how information would be shared between private companies and the government to catch malicious actors breaching networks to steal information or sabotaging systems.
This is the main selling point of the bill and the reason why so many large businesses support it. You hear about businesses getting hacked all the time and having security breaches where many of its users' or customers' personal data is exposed, right? Well, this bill is supposed to help facilitate an easier exchange of information between said businesses and government in order to combat such cybercrime.

The only reason why advocacy groups like the EFF and others are attacking this is because there are currently no safeguards in place to guard against abuse. In other words, the way the bill is currently worded leaves it possible for the government to be able to request any sort of information from businesses if it seems like such cybercrime is taking place or likely to take place. And the businesses won't have to worry about breaking their own privacy policies to give said information.

Example: State-sponsored hackers from another country decide to hack into a large corporation to steal customer and company data. This bill comes into play and the government requests information from the affected business in order to track down said hackers and bring them to justice. What kind of information can be requested is the issue here.

In short, the reasoning behind the bill makes sense, but the actual wording, lack of constraints, and possible consequences are the main issues with it.
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
shiraoky wrote:I'm always squeeing lol.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.