College Applications a.k.a sekai no ichiban zetsubou na mono

Everything else, off-topic. Share your thoughts on sports, news, politics, school, gardening, stamp collecting, etc...
blaZofgold
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
Worships: God, the real one
Melon Pan: 50
2017 Female Favorite: Shiodome Miuna
Wish: Murphy's Law not to be always true

College Applications a.k.a sekai no ichiban zetsubou na mono

Post by blaZofgold » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:30 pm

Seeing that the majority of the people here are in/past college, I was wondering if they were willing to impart some hints/examples for us younger generation?

Onegaishimasu.

In other news, I'll be using this thread to post my college application essays once I'm done with them. Still deciding whether I should post them for people to help me with or posting them ex post facto (since nobody active is the same year as me, I don't think I have to fear plagiarization...right?)
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Minakami Yuki; Takako X Runa; Mioda Ibuki; Toono Ren... It's a long-ass list.
Wish: To keep on taking it easy, and to keep my mind limber.

Re: College Applications a.k.a sekai no ichiban zetsubou na

Post by Metaler » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:33 pm

Don't rush.
"Care about people's approval and you will be their prisoner" ~Lao Tzu
oneoshron
Hunter
Hunter

Post by oneoshron » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:59 am

Oh! Good luck! I'm glad I don't have to think about that for another 2 years Σ(・□・;)
Arigatou gozaimasu to Midnight-Jasper for the lovely signature o(≧∇≦o)
Midnight-Jasper
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Badges:
Wish: viva all, baby~

Post by Midnight-Jasper » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Who else is applying to college this year? Hikari-chama? :3

I want to study Computer Science and Philosophy at Oxford.
exec
~Senior Member~
~Senior Member~
Badges:
Melon Pan: 15
2019 Female Favorite: Kanna Kamui
2019 Male Favorite: Shiota Nagisa
2018 Female Favorite: Holo
2018 Male Favorite: Astolfo
2017 Female Favorite: Holo
2017 Male Favorite: Felix Argyle

Post by exec » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:29 pm

Midnight-Jasper wrote:Who else is applying to college this year?
I applied into Riga Technical University for Entrepreneurship and Management.
This year I also need to finish my studies in University of Latvia on Japanese.
Not to mention the fact that I work at Laima(Chocolate factory).
I don't know how I'm going to manage everything... :onion55:
Hikari-chan
Kholdy's Master
Kholdy's Master
Badges:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Worships: rider ♥ sinon ♥
Melon Pan: 110
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Kageyama Shigeo
2018 Female Favorite: Asada Shino
2018 Male Favorite: Levi
2017 Female Favorite: Furukawa Nagisa
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya
Wish: being able to make everyone around me happier in some way

Post by Hikari-chan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:47 pm

Midnight-Jasper wrote:Who else is applying to college this year? Hikari-chama? :3

I want to study Computer Science and Philosophy at Oxford.
I'm thinking about working a year before I apply for University, but it's not set in stone yet. I'm not really sure about what I want to do, I'm still kind of thinking on it.

thank you so much to my wonderful santa! <3
mal | twitter
blaZofgold
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:

Post by blaZofgold » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:16 pm

I'm applying to the following:

Stanford
Berkeley
CalTech/CIT
USC
UC Irvine
UC San Diego
UC Los Angeles
UT Austin
Rice
Georgia Tech

Going into Computer Science, hopefully start off as a mid-Sophmore/Junior (with all my IB credits), get a Masters in 3.5 years-4 years, and get straight into software design~
Midnight-Jasper
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Badges:

Post by Midnight-Jasper » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:25 pm

In the UK you're only allowed to apply to five universities... and Oxford/Cambridge are mutually exclusive...

SO YOUR LIST PISSES ME OFF
Momento10
Electromaster
Electromaster
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Setsumi Sakura
Melon Pan: 88
2019 Female Favorite: Tōma Kazusa
2019 Male Favorite: Ayanokōji Kiyotaka
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Sagara Sōsuke
2017 Female Favorite: Megumin
2017 Male Favorite: Zen Wistalia
Wish: ISML - A new face for the champion.
KBM - to revive
AST - to encourage international participation
IRL - My definition of peace and tranquility.

Post by Momento10 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:40 am

I am assuming all of you are from the United States, as I do not know how similar or different college applications are in other countries.

Applying to college is easy. The process to apply it is difficult only to those who are unprepared for it. Procrastination and tardiness equate to deadline difficulties, since you also have your studies to take care off as well as your applications. I'll give you some pointers, but others who have gone through the process may have thought of different methods in approaching this, so this is only my take on how the application process should be done:

1. Write your college essay during the summer before your senior year starts, or at least as early as you can. I cannot stress this enough. Sure, there may be an important event during the first semester of your senior year that you might be interested in writing about, but if you write your essay as early as possible, the stress of having at least something to hand in will be off of your shoulders. A number of my friends are procrastinators and have only began writing their college essay during their Christmas break. I mean, really, do you want to spend your Christmas locked in your room because in your mind, you need to get this one page paper about an important event in your life that influenced you to become who you are? That's a poor way to spend in. Instead, try to have something complete done before school starts. I'm not saying to rush it; I believe that two months of summer vacation is more than enough time to reflect on your life and see what it was what made you who you are, or a topic that you can truly be passionate about writing and wish to exemplify it to your respective colleges. Think of it like this: the longer you postpone writing it, the less time you will have to write it, as you also have to focus on graduating, too. Senior year is fun, but don;t let it distract you and accidentally flunk, as the first semester is just as important for colleges to see whether or not you're slacking off or not.

2. Teacher Recommendations - Now, I don't know if you guys still need to do those things, but back when I was a junior in high school (Yes, I was a junior high school student. And no, I am not old. I refused to consider myself as old.), at our last day of school,, we were flocking all over our teachers for a teacher rec., but most to all the teachers that I asked for were booked and wanted em to wait until September to ask them again. A teacher rec. is something for colleges to see who you are from various perspectives (in this case, the teachers). Naturally, the best ones to ask are those who know you well, are familiar with, and that you and the teacher are both comfortable with writing about you. You obviously don't want to get a rec from a teacher whom you have heat on. Keep in mind that the teachers are human too, and there's already so many things that they have to take care off, including setting up for the next class, grading papers, and their own private life. If a teachers says they cannot, just look for another one, for you have to respect that their offering their time to write a one page paper about why you are someone that the colleges would like to have in their establishment. Try to ask early for them too, because, remember, college deadlines vary, from a rolling bases (school that accept applications at any time) to as early as November 1 (Early application for those who are sure that they want to go to a specific school and want an early shot at it). Regular admissions fall somewhere in the month of January (1, 15, or Feb 1, hence my story of writing and submitting applications during Christmas), but that obviously doesn't mean you should slack off. Plan everything accordingly and you should be alright.

3. Scholarships and Financial Aid - I'll talk about Financial Aid first. You're FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is something you may want to look into if you find yourself having any money issues about college. This is the main source for any form of financial aid. FAFSA is a year-around financial aid application form that starts up on Jan 1, every year. Applying for this is quick. Just like your college apps, all you have to do is answer some questions and submit them to the schools that you are applying for. You may need to ask for your parents for their tax returns (1040, etc.), as some questions require answers for them should you or your parents not know the answer to them yourselves. Applying for this gives you access to multiple sources of financial aid from other programs, as most ask you to just borrow what you answered for your FAFSA anyway. FAFSA would usually give you a link to other sources that benefit from the completion of this application, one of which i know off the top of my head is called TAP. Scholarships can either come from the school you are applying to or from other outside sources. Some schools may give you a list of outside scholarships you may qualify for should you fit certain criterias. In other cases, most scholarships can be found online that can be anywhere from your race ro from things that you've done and can write about. Keep in mind that the farther you go, the more expensive the school is going to cost you. It can easily be seen as you look up colleges in sites like CollegeBoard, where in state tuition is relatively cheaper than out of state tuition, and this does not count dorming should you decide to go to another city of the same state. Colleges will also look over your applications and see the kind of aid that they can give you. You can be lucky and have a four year full tuition scholarship, or have a partial four year, full 1 or 2 years, etc, depending on the school and what they can offer.

This is all I can give you for now. I can answer other questions should there be a need for answering. Again, these are only my suggestions, and it can be argued whether or not my approach is right.
Midnight-Jasper
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Badges:

Post by Midnight-Jasper » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:54 pm

None of your advice applies to me Momento-chan :P

I sent off my application today~!!
It will go from my school to the big processing server on the 15th October.

My choices: Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Manchester
for CompSci + Phil, Maths + Phil, Maths + CompSci

I'm really excited and scared and excited :ascii134: :ascii19:

I'm not always sure what emotion these emotes are supposed to convey but they look super cute
HaloCapella
Time traveler
Time traveler
Worships: My Cuties!
Melon Pan: 55
2018 Female Favorite: Sawamura Spencer Eriri
2017 Female Favorite: Tanaka Asuka
Wish: Saimoe-chan's official debut.

Post by HaloCapella » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:27 pm

I'm a Fine Arts Studio graduate and for those who are going to the art field, i guess i can say a few things from here.

I remember I had to go through an interview before getting in to the program. I had to assemble some of my past artwork and create some new artwork for my Portfolio. One of them were one piece i made back in high school, a painting of a kitchen in reference of an Ikea flyer photo. the rest were oil paintings of still life objects. I also had to bring in some sketchbooks, which was a staple for art. I dont remember if I needed anything to write about, other than explaining your intent and making sure you had the passion to be an artist. It was two years ago to keep that as a memory. actually, was nervous enough to not eat breakfast at all that day. lol.

The course is generally intensive into 2 years (4 semesters) and the program is generally consists more of hand-on projects and creating things rather than academic work. I remember our most problematic class for all students and teachers is Art History class. Both the academic side and the artist side really clashes and always creates a problem. Actually, our year was more emphatic about this idea since we had more intuitive to get into the issue. personally, that was more of them rather and myself. lol i was a little more detached from them, really. We had one art history teacher that was more of an fine artist than a historian. I remember she told us to draw something relating to the part of history we're on. I think that was pretty interesting. However, the majority of the students' tardiness simply upsets her and then the next day, she never came back. This left us with the program coordinator, trying to learn the best way as artists. Unfortunately, I dont know why I forgot how we got through this. honestly, i still didnt really do much of the work in that class either. lolol

There are other classes like Design and Game Art, this is simply much like fine arts. Its just you'd need different works into your portfolio.

Overall, classes like these benefit most from your passion and hard work. As long you choose to make alot of things here, I'm sure you'll do great in these classes. <3

PS. Also, good planning and ways to bring up new ideas are key to getting these classes well. teamwork too tho, i kinda shy-ed away mostly lol

EDIT: oh yea, one of the semesters, we had an art history teacher that made us do alot of presentations each week. it kinda killed us there, (not literally) but really made us annoyed. we were yearning to make more works. lol
Admiral Paru ~~ Pixiv DeviantArt Twitter Image
blaZofgold
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:

Post by blaZofgold » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:16 am

Momento, M-J, Paru, thanks for responding! Your advice is really deep and I'm super happy to get this kind of input! (Especially Momento, I've gotten similar lectures from my teachers/other senpai but I think yours tops them all)~

Again, thank you guys so much!
blaZofgold
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:

Post by blaZofgold » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:02 am

Here are my UC Application essays! Feel free to read, comment, critique, use as reference, w/e, apps are done and I'm shiawase~

[spoiler=Describe the world you come from — for example, your family, community or school — and tell
us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.]I come from an alarm clock on a cell phone, ringing rudely in the early morning peace. From a set of hastily chosen jeans and t-shirts. From a sweater and a jacket, maybe two or three. From the sound of the microwave whirring, heating a hastily prepared breakfast. From a lunchbox, packed with love and care. From the brisk cold morning air.

Mornings are special. I’m not a morning person at all and often wake up at six only to immediately fall asleep again, much to the dismay of both myself and my zero-period teacher. However, one particular morning, after a rushed breakfast and a few yells of “Hurry up!” from my mom, I drowsily lumbered outside and was greeted by a sky of flames. No, there wasn’t a fire, but the morning clouds, graced by the light of dawn, had burst into magnificent shades of bright orange, flaming red, and golden yellow. I was positively transfixed the entire ride to school, and the image stayed imprinted in my mind for the rest of the day. I think that I glimpsed something of the essence of morning on that day. Mornings represent hope; they represent a new day, a new chance, a new opportunity. They are filled with freshness and eagerness, they leave yesterday behind and beckon on the present. After that incident, I tried my best not to wake up with a groan and a frown on my face, for I realized that the way I treated my mornings was a reflection of the way I treated my everyday life, and the way I treat my everyday life is the way I treat my entire life. And I want my life to shine as brilliantly as the fiery sky of that day.

I come from the clatter of dishes in the kitchen. From the sizzling of stir-fry in the wok. From the chopsticks that my sister sets out. From a variety of entrees, some tasty and some not so much. From the shout my mom gives to call me downstairs. From a dinnertime prayer. From the lively banter I share with my family as we eat our meal.

I believe that I am adequately prepared for college. I can cook, do laundry, wash dishes, drive a car, buy groceries, and I’m often enlisted to clean and vacuum the house. In all aspects, I’m fairly confident that I’ll adapt to my new college life comfortably. All aspects but one; I don’t think I’ll ever get used to eating a dinner alone, without my family. Both my parents have been diligent to uphold the family tradition of eating together at dinnertime, regardless of the circumstances. I still remember being scolded and temporarily ostracized as a child when I came down a few minutes late to eat. I never understood why until the day my parents and sister went out for dinner while I stayed behind. After finishing my homework, I walked into the kitchen and started preparing my meal. The clanging of the pots and the rattling of the silverware did nothing to quell the unbearable silence of the dining room. I had never felt so lost in my own house before. From that day on, I made sure to prioritize my family dinner over anything else preoccupying. After all, It’s encouraging to know that on the day I return home, there will be a homecooked meal and three smiling faces waiting for me.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is
important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does
it relate to the person you are?]I love projects. They may not be fun at 11:00pm the night before the due date, when procrastination gets the better of me and I’m scrambling to put together something viable, but they are still a joy to work on and a great opportunity for me to let loose some of my pent-up imagination and passion. My favorite project, and the one I’m the most proud of, was my freshman English group’s rendition of Romeo and Juliet.

Freshman year was winding down, and our teacher had just assigned the six acts of Romeo and Juliet to six different groups. We were allowed to set our scene in whatever time period, culture, and environment we wanted to as long as we remained faithful to the original intent and spirit. I found myself a part of the group performing the last act, where Romeo takes the poison he acquired to Juliet’s grave, fights and kills Paris on his way there, and drinks the draught, dying by her side. Juliet, who was not really dead, wakes up from her coma and stabs herself in despair over her husband’s suicide. As our group discussed various possibilities, someone mentioned offhandedly about an Asian version. Since I love Eastern culture, I jumped on the idea and immediately listed off ideas that we could use for our version: bamboo sticks instead of swords, martial arts masters instead of friars.

Our group got to work. Unofficially made the director, I took it upon myself to help out with everything I could. I led acting practices and rehearsals. I made various props and painted backgrounds. I wrote a portion of the script and edited the entire manuscript myself. Sometimes I felt that I was a bit overbearing on my group, but the smiles and excitement from everybody made me feel at ease and even more fired up. One day, struck by inspiration, I proposed that we add music to our skit. When everyone agreed to the idea, I put my love for movie soundtracks to the test and spent 2 hours that evening coming up with a list of songs from Kung Fu Panda and Mulan. The next day, I walked up to Juliet and asked her to sing the song “Reflections” when she woke up and found Romeo dead. The result in the actual performance was nothing less than stunning.

The production was a big success, and word even spread to other freshmen English classes. I was overjoyed that the results of my passion and the fruit of my labor had paid off in full.[/spoiler]
Sedon
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Worships: C.C.
Wish: Something amazing to happen...

Post by Sedon » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:21 pm

I don't know much about the status of students in other countries, but here is how I picked the course I finished..
First you should do is apply to bunch of universities you like, take and pass their entrance exams, and choose among them.. ofc that's the first step :P

1. Finances
- I came from an average family, and my sister is just a year behind me so there'll be 2 people studying for university. I didn't want to put too much stress to my parents, so I put this as top priority instead. There was a bunch of local colleges that I passed their entrance examinations, and some even offered scholarship programs. It's a matter of weighing the benefits, and the chances of maintaining that scholarship.

2. High paying and In-demand jobs
- Same reason as before. It is much easier to target high paying and in-demand jobs than the lower paying and lower demand ones. Though it is true that usually these high paying ones are the hardest to finish (for example, med related courses), but your efforts will eventually be paid off if you manage to finish it. It's just a matter of assessing yourself if you can manage to last for a course you want to take.

3. Passion
- If you can't assess yourself, you can look at how well you did during your high school days, which subjects you excelled at/find easy. After all, its better to study something you really like rather than something you were just pushed into taking. There is no such greater pressure than studying everyday for something you can't stand at (for most people's case, taking up accountancy or engineering courses)

4. Accessibility
- Studying somewhere relatively close can be beneficial, or somewhere you already have an idea how to get home really easy. In our country, there is usually a hard time going home to provinces if you study really far away. There are times that we will get stranded in a seaport for a day or two due to influx of passengers.

All of these are some points I considered when I chose my university and the university course.
And another point, it will be better for you if you will decide it for yourself. That way, it will be your own volition and yours alone. If somehow you hesitated along the way, then you will not put blame on others for influencing you ^^;

and oh, if you somehow wanna know what my course is... well, ._.
SpoilerShow
Electronics Engineering.
The university I chose has a really good scholarship program, and it includes that course which is one of the in-demand at that time. And also, although I know math is really hard, I was somehow a little confident that I could at least barely pass this course so... I took it, unwillingly :P
Anyway, I was thankful I took it which led me to my current job.. It was really a right decision! :bigsmile:

ImageImageImageImage
Credits to:
Energetic Hikari-chan for the slivers
MultiLing Keyboard Madness ⊇≪☜∵↖ⓢⓔⓓⓞⓝ↗∴☞≫⊆
Mayushii~ + Kuristina-HomuHomuShow
ImageImage
Thanks to Midnight-Jasper for Mayushii~ sig and awesome Momokutenshi for the Kuristina-HomuHomu sig~ <3
Lost but not forgotten~ Tu tu ruu~!
Midnight-Jasper
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Badges:

Post by Midnight-Jasper » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:45 pm

I was invited to interview at Oxfoooorddddddd~~~~~~~~~
I'll be going there from 15th-18th. :)

/me electrocutes Sedy
Sedon
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Worships: C.C.
Wish: Something amazing to happen...

Post by Sedon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:14 pm

Midnight-Jasper wrote:I was invited to interview at Oxfoooorddddddd~~~~~~~~~
I'll be going there from 15th-18th. :)

/me electrocutes Sedy
Congratulations MJ~~~
:onion105:

and wut dud I do? o.o
oh well...
/wringles in pain
(✖╭╮✖)

ImageImageImageImage
Credits to:
Energetic Hikari-chan for the slivers
MultiLing Keyboard Madness ⊇≪☜∵↖ⓢⓔⓓⓞⓝ↗∴☞≫⊆
Mayushii~ + Kuristina-HomuHomuShow
ImageImage
Thanks to Midnight-Jasper for Mayushii~ sig and awesome Momokutenshi for the Kuristina-HomuHomu sig~ <3
Lost but not forgotten~ Tu tu ruu~!
blaZofgold
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:

Post by blaZofgold » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:30 am

HMU, Rice, and Stanford deadlines are over. I'll post some examples of my writing for fun here.
In a world where technology continually adapts and progresses, H…Show
I think the most important technological advancement of this day and age is artificial intelligence. Smarter, faster, and more realistic AI will one day bridge the gap between humans, our lives, and the everyday tools and technology we rely on. In fact, I think that improving AI is extremely important, if not absolutely necessary to the progress and future of our species on a whole, because of one major issue in the lives of people today.

Interactive voice response.

I’m talking about the automatic response systems that many companies have installed in place of customer service operators. A person calls the customer service line and a computer picks up. “If you would like to place an order, say ‘Place an order.’” “Place an order,” he says. “I heard, ‘plays inner door.’ If this is correct, say ‘yes,’ otherwise say ‘no.’” “No.” “I heard, ‘no.’ If this is correct, say ‘yes,’ otherwise…”

There’s a limit to how ridiculous these things can be. For my parents, whose English is heavily accented and often broken, these machines are complete nightmares. I’ve seen my mom grapple with a particularly unforgiving one for over an hour. While some may fault the speech sensor and perhaps bad phone quality, I believe the key to the solution is better speech recognition – a better AI to interpret the sounds and algorithmically come up with a proper response.

Better algorithms and response logic could lead to massive breakthroughs in almost every aspect of communication. Email and chat services could determine the mood or tone of a message before it is sent and tag an appropriate image or color to it. Search engines would handle more complicated keywords and process entire phrases and ideas. And autocorrect for Microsoft Word should finally be able to understand that the intentional fragment is all part of poetic license and find both lexical and syntax errors in a document.

AI and communications goes quite a bit deeper than just autocorrect and smart search. With a smart enough machine, humans may actually be able to converse with machines. While fun prototypes like Cleverbot and Siri are already being utilized, AI has the potential to advance to the point where it could very easily replace human consciousness. In other words, robots and machines would be able to converse just as naturally and seriously as the average human. I find this simply mind-blowingly fascinating. The possibilities from this breakthrough would be endless. AI teachers, AI servants, even AI friends and lovers would all be within the realm of feasibility. Society on a whole would be changed entirely.

A famous individual once said that “people live every day without realizing they’re being tricked by technology.” As a computer scientist dedicated to advancing such technology, I strive to make sure that if people are truly being manipulated by AI and algorithms and binary logic, it will be a trick that can help and benefit other people. Or at least make them smile from one big technological magic trick.
I quoted Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta Episode 11 here. I can't believe how much of an otaku I am.

[spoiler=The Committee on Admission is interested in getting to know each candidate as well as possible through the application process. The following essay question is designed to demonstrate your writing skills and facilitate our full appreciation of your unique perspective.

The quality of Rice's academic life and the Residential College System are heavily influenced by the unique life experiences and cultural traditions each student brings. What personal perspective do you feel that you will contribute to life at Rice?]I think I will be a very influential perspective at Rice University because I am a Communist.

Well, not really a full-on Communist. I’m not at all eager to take arms and assemble an army of working students and rage against the upper-class. Neither do I admire the willingness of Communists to throw away their identities and mindlessly follow the sugar-coated words of a leader that imposes a despicable double standard on the people. And true Communist theory is hopeless idealistic and impossible to realize in the real world. But there are aspects of Communism that I truly do believe in that affect who I am and how I view the world around me.

For instance, Communism asks for the total eradication of any semblance of a class structure, bringing everybody down to an equal playing field. While some see this as a total catastrophe, I see this reset as a very important step in reforming society. With all the classes and notions of title and prestige, it’s very difficult for the truly talented and passionate to pursue freely their dreams and aspirations. A destruction of class structure would lead to equal opportunity given to all, and theoretically the right people would be able to be at the right place doing the right things. For example, once class structure has been completely vaporized, only those with a yearning and a desire to study would enter into academia. The musically-inclined would take music-related careers, and the militarily-favored would enlist in the army or navy. Essentially, every career would be filled with a majority of people who want to do it, not people who are forced to do it. The jobs that nobody wants to do can be apportioned to everyone as a public duty. Yes, this kind of thinking is unbearably dreamy, but it is something that I hold true to in my life. I like to have the freedom to pursue the fields and careers that I want to do, not encumbered or entrapped by money or circumstance. Even if the government can’t act as my surety, I’d like to think that by chasing after my dreams and finding a job I can be passionate about, all my financial and social issues will become at the very least manageable.

Communism also emphasizes equality in treatment and fairness in everything. While stereotypes and prejudices still exist, Communism theoretically strives to ignore them all, without regard to outward appearances or first impressions, but taking into account past history and accountability. Again, despite being idealistic and perhaps surreal, I believe that these kinds of dreams and aspirations are good to have and entertain. A dream not dreamt has no chance of ever becoming reality. Those who push for the ideal are the innovators and visionaries of tomorrow, people who have the ability to influence the world around them for the better.

While I would love to be one of these people, I confess that right now I am but a simple Communist.[/spoiler]
Didn't really like this essay, but had no other idea. Oh well.
Stanford students possess an intellectual vitality. Reflect on a…Show
Even things that seem to be guaranteed are not for certain. I learned this life lesson in a rather peculiar way, and it has stuck with me ever since.

When I was in elementary school, I was a big fan of Pokemon. For reference, Pokemon is a Japanese series of video games, anime, trading cards, and an assortment of merchandise based on a world with magical creatures that have special abilities, notably Pikachu, Charizard, and Meowth. Pokemon was my first video game that I ever played, and I enjoyed exploring the vast 32-bit world on my Gameboy Color. As time went on and I became older, I began to find interest in the inner mechanics of the game. What determines which Pokemon I find in the wild? How is damage calculated? How does it all work?

One day, I decided to go online and search the game mechanics of Pokemon. My results astounded me. What seemed to me like a simple game was actually based on a complicated series of algorithms involving extremely precise and crucial variables like Individual Values, Effort Values, GUID, and more. Simple procedures in game required complicated equations and algorithms, painstakingly calculated and balanced. My eyes wide in awe, I read page after page until I stumbled upon this line about accuracy:

In the Generation I games, moves with 100% accuracy were actually calculated as 99.6%.

And then I thought, “If a video game can’t even guarantee 100%, then how can I expect reality to?”
Yes. I submitted this.
Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write…Show
Okay. I don’t know who you are, but you better not be a snorer.

I’m a light sleeper. I can’t sleep with the door open. I can’t sleep when there’s a lot of light. And I certainly can’t sleep with loud, repetitive, obnoxious noises. I may sound quite self-centered here, but you must realize my background. I have a father who has scared himself with his own snoring. I’ve used recordings of them as alarms. I also have a sister with that father’s genes. Every time I’ve had to share rooms has been a complete nightmare. For me. And earplugs don’t work, plus they are very unhealthy for the ears because of the excess pressure and cause migraines in the morning.

Anyways, you better not be a snorer. Not that you could actually tell me if you snore or not…I’ll probably interview your family or your family doctor or both to make sure. And if you do end up being one of those human beings designed and ordained to be completely antagonistic to my resting health, I have my ways of silencing my enemy. I can bribe you to sleep outside with a variety of things, such as my fabulous Chinese cooking. I can also repair and renovate your laptop and handheld devices free of charge while maximizing the specs and destroying entrenched malware. I’ll even provide a sleeping bag for you. Whatever it takes. You have been warned.

I look forward to spending the next year with you.
What matters to you, and why?Show
Overlooking the somewhat obvious response that getting into Stanford matters to me a lot, a more overarching and long-term reply would be my sense of excitement and passion. To me, it is of the utmost importance that I live a life I want to live, filled with things that I have a desire for and find fun and enjoyable. While this may seem childish and irresponsible, it doesn't mean that I shirk the chores and menial tasks that I dislike; rather, since I care strongly about having fun, this perspective pushes me to not only finish melancholy duties but to do them with a willing heart. Taking out the garbage? Alright! Washing the dishes? I got this! The difference between these positive responses and a grumpy “Okay…” is undeniable.

This idea of excitement and passion is more than a just positive attitude. It also means that I work hard towards doing the things I want to do. For example, I simply love the software design process. Brainstorming, prototyping, programming, debugging, maintaining: all these steps are fun and exciting in their own unique ways. The reason why I want to study computer science at a top college is so I can be successful doing the things I love as a career. So, in hitting two birds with one stone, I will not-so-slyly say that getting into Stanford matters a lot because doing so will allow me to maintain the excitement and passion in my life that means so much to me.
Easily the hardest prompt I've ever seen. I don't think I even barely made an appropriate response.

Please comment, critique, and question! Everything you say is helpful for me as a writer, criticism more so.
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Fate Testarossa
Melon Pan: 105
2019 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2019 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2018 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2018 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2017 Female Favorite: Fate Testarossa
2017 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
Wish: Perpetual joy for friends and family

Post by Fate » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:09 pm

I applied to four universities in the state of Florida: University of Florida, Florida State University, University of Central Florida and Florida Atlantic University. Got into all and chose UF. I'm currently a senior and will graduate in May.

I know this thread started up months ago, but be confident in everything you did in high school and the SAT/ACT exams. Colleges take holistic approaches - GPA, essays, extracurriculars, test scores, the whole sha-bang. Good luck and I hope to see more of you get accepted into postsecondary institutions! University life is a wonderful time because you grow so much on ALL levels. The opportunities are everywhere. :)
ImageALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!Image
[url=irc://irc.rizon.net/Feitoism]#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net[/url]
Purgatory_from_sp
Kunoichi
Kunoichi
Wish: >tfw gf

Post by Purgatory_from_sp » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:18 pm

The college application process seems like such a ridiculous dog and pony show in the US. All because they have to treat college like a damn business there...

Having gone to school in America from 5th-12th grade, I should know.

When I left the US, what I had to do to go to college to Argentina was:

1. Legalize the school documents (diploma, transcript, etc.) in America.
2. Legalize and translate them (via a public translator) in Argentina
3. Go to a national college
4. Apply there, paying a small fee of $150 Argentine pesos (~22.88 USD)

And that was it. I'm doing just fine in my classes so far in my first semester and not having to waste thousands of dollars for my education feels fantastic. The first two steps did take some time and money, but hey...it's better than making my family work themselves to death just to send me to college in the US.
Teiran
Samurai
Samurai
Worships: Miyanaga Saki

Post by Teiran » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:55 am

I'm fairly certain the "write a note to your future roommate" question was part of Stanford's application, almost verbatim, even a dozen years ago (I don't remember the "virtually all" part, but it's true).

One of the other ones was Attach a picture to this page and explain its significance, which I'm glad to have been given if the alternative was anything like What matters to you, and why?

And if somebody pointed out the fact you have no wings...
...wouldn't mean a thing.