Movies

Everything else, off-topic. Share your thoughts on sports, news, politics, school, gardening, stamp collecting, etc...
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem
Worships: Moriya Suwako's hat
Melon Pan: 50
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Eugeo
2018 Female Favorite: Yamada Elf
2018 Male Favorite: Willem Kmetsch
Wish: A third season of Spice and Wolf.

Movies

Post by Kordosa » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:45 am

This will serve as a general thread about movies. Feel free to discuss what your favorite movies are, the latest one you're raving about, etc.

Please be mindful of plot spoilers, especially for movies that are still in theaters. And even for movies that have been around for a while, because even if it's a movie you saw several years ago, there's still a chance that someone else has not. So please be considerate.
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
shiraoky wrote:I'm always squeeing lol.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem

Re: Movies

Post by Kordosa » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:04 am

I'll go ahead and start. I just watched the second Hobbit movie, The Desolation of Smaug. I thought that the pacing was a lot better than the first one. There was a better balance between action and expository segments.
character spoiler for Bilbo BagginsShow
I liked how the slow corruption of Bilbo by the ring felt organic. Sure, the ring's power is causing him to keep it secret and stuff, but Martin Freeman's various facial expressions showed that Bilbo is still struggling with it. He used it for good intentions twice, against the spiders and against the wood elves.
Movie EndingShow
A cliffhanger ending... and Smaug wasn't killed...
There's something else, but it's a walking spoiler so I won't say anything further.
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.
Eibbor82
Gundam
Gundam
Worships: Mutual respect
Wish: To improve

Post by Eibbor82 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:11 am

Also on The Desolation of Smaug
SpoilerShow
I'm somewhat bothered by the huge amount of stuff that's not in the book, but I heard somewhere that they're trying to integrate the Goblin War from The Silmarillion so i guess that's okay. (I did read a little of that, but not much.)
I noticed how when Legolas was interrogating that orc/goblin after the barrel scene they both mentioned how the orc was hunting 13 dwarves. There was only 12 dwarves in The Hobbit, Bilbo making the party become 13. Since the Elves never caught or saw Bilbo they wouldn't have had the chance to mistake him for a dwarf, so quite the terrible error on the producers part. There's a few other inconsistencies like that, but this one seriously stuck out to me.
That barrel scene was so enormously glorious! With Legolas stepping on the dwarves heads while doing cool stuff, and one of the dwarves getting launched out of the water and rolling alongside of it, crushing the orcs/goblins. That entire scene was so amazing, probably my favorite live-action movie (emphasis on movie) scenes this year.
From reading the book, the vast horde of riches that Smaug had gained from the destruction of the dwarves never really stuck out to me until now. So crazy to actually see what it would be.
Again on the badass-ery, it seems anyone who can wield a bow automatically became a badass. Elves more so than Brand, but just all the crazy whirling bows and knives and elf hair and crazy stuff >_<
Looking forward to the next movie, I love all of the Tolkien stuff and I hope to see the next one midnight+3D like I have for these last two.
ImageImage
"Seriously, who wants to be chained down?"
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem

Post by Kordosa » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:43 am

Eibbor82 wrote:Also on The Desolation of Smaug
SpoilerShow
I'm somewhat bothered by the huge amount of stuff that's not in the book, but I heard somewhere that they're trying to integrate the Goblin War from The Silmarillion so i guess that's okay. (I did read a little of that, but not much.)
I noticed how when Legolas was interrogating that orc/goblin after the barrel scene they both mentioned how the orc was hunting 13 dwarves. There was only 12 dwarves in The Hobbit, Bilbo making the party become 13. Since the Elves never caught or saw Bilbo they wouldn't have had the chance to mistake him for a dwarf, so quite the terrible error on the producers part. There's a few other inconsistencies like that, but this one seriously stuck out to me.
That barrel scene was so enormously glorious! With Legolas stepping on the dwarves heads while doing cool stuff, and one of the dwarves getting launched out of the water and rolling alongside of it, crushing the orcs/goblins. That entire scene was so amazing, probably my favorite live-action movie (emphasis on movie) scenes this year.
From reading the book, the vast horde of riches that Smaug had gained from the destruction of the dwarves never really stuck out to me until now. So crazy to actually see what it would be.
Again on the badass-ery, it seems anyone who can wield a bow automatically became a badass. Elves more so than Brand, but just all the crazy whirling bows and knives and elf hair and crazy stuff >_<
Looking forward to the next movie, I love all of the Tolkien stuff and I hope to see the next one midnight+3D like I have for these last two.
Yeah, I think Wikipedia mentioned the Hobbit trilogy was going to use Tolkien's supplementary material. The trilogy was originally going to be a duology instead until that decision was made. I also made it a point to watch this movie midweek a week after the debut to avoid the crowds. I remember my local theater totally packed (and sold out) for Revenge of the Sith on its opening weekend. So while I had purchased tickets ahead of time, me and a friend got to the theater close to start time and were forced to sit in the very front row toward the right side edge. The opening battle looked interesting from that perspective, but I'm surprised my neck didn't suffer for it.
Off-topic for LOTRShow
I never read the novels. Actually, I swore off LOTR when the trilogy was being released in the theaters. Mainly because I was (and still am) a huge Star Wars fan, and decided that the LOTR franchise was automatically a rival (I viewed Harry Potter the same way at the time). Therefore I made it a point to not watch any of those in the theaters as that would aid LOTR's box office numbers. It took me a couple years afterward to soften up enough to try out LOTR Online, and buy a copy of The Third Age for the GameCube. And I didn't get a chance to watch the three films all the way through until I bought the extended trilogy on BD last year. Speaking of which, I'll be waiting for the extended edition on BD for the Hobbit trilogy as well.
QuotesShow
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Kordosa wrote:
Off-topic for LOTRShow
I never read the novels. Actually, I swore off LOTR when the trilogy was being released in the theaters. Mainly because I was (and still am) a huge Star Wars fan, and decided that the LOTR franchise was automatically a rival (I viewed Harry Potter the same way at the time). Therefore I made it a point to not watch any of those in the theaters as that would aid LOTR's box office numbers. It took me a couple years afterward to soften up enough to try out LOTR Online, and buy a copy of The Third Age for the GameCube. And I didn't get a chance to watch the three films all the way through until I bought the extended trilogy on BD last year. Speaking of which, I'll be waiting for the extended edition on BD for the Hobbit trilogy as well.
The Extended Edition DVD/BD for An Unexpected Journey has been out since November 5. (But if you're waiting for the remaining two movies to be given the EE treatment before buying, that's fine too.)

While I already watched The Desolation of Smaug last week (Dec. 12), I might want to re-watch it again on 3D before the annual Metro Manila Film Fest begins.
Eibbor82 wrote:
SpoilerShow
I noticed how when Legolas was interrogating that orc/goblin after the barrel scene they both mentioned how the orc was hunting 13 dwarves. There was only 12 dwarves in The Hobbit, Bilbo making the party become 13. Since the Elves never caught or saw Bilbo they wouldn't have had the chance to mistake him for a dwarf, so quite the terrible error on the producers part.
Thirteen dwarves is correct. (Thorin, Dwalin, Balin, Fili, Kili, Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur.) Add Bilbo and Gandalf, and you have all 15 members of the company. That aside...
Eibbor82 wrote:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Ah yes. That dwarf getting launched out of the water and crushing orcs in the process was Bombur, I believe. Speaking of Legolas, I also chuckled at the scene where he saw a picture of Gloin's son Gimli (which in itself is a little call forward to Lord of The Rings).

And Smaug makes the fell beasts from LOTR look like kittens in comparison. You could say I wanted to watch this movie just for Smaug. And yes, he didn't disappoint.
On the DVD front, I got myself a copy of Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim. Well, it was a choice ("ERABE!") between Pacific Rim, Iron Man 3 or Star Trek: Into Darkness. I eventually decided to go with Pacific Rim since:

- It's one big homage to giant robot anime and kaiju films. (All while averting a militaristic slant and taking a more humanistic angle instead.)
- It's the only "non-franchise" movie in the bunch.
- I'm appreciative of Del Toro's passion to make movies for the art.
"Rip and Tear. Rip and tear until it's done."
"To the good people I met on this site (Kordosa, Minhtam, Crisu, Maglor, Desufire, Momo, Marinara, Midnight-Jasper, Hikarin, Momento10, Shiraoky, Alex, Bastion, Superunature, Demi., Sedon, xcrossfacekillahx, Silver21, CureRainbow) thank you for the nice memories."
Alexander
Translator
Translator
Badges:
Melon Pan: 92
Wish: It's a secret

Post by Alexander » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:04 pm

I watched the Desolation of Smaug yesterday, and it was was great.
Except for...Show
the cliffhanger...
Previous movie I watched was Catching Fire which was so much better than the first one.
ImageImage
Midnight-Jasper
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Badges:
Wish: viva all, baby~

Post by Midnight-Jasper » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:44 pm

I watched The Little Mermaid for the first time on Tuesday and it gave off more than a few problematic vibes xD
CureRainbow
State alchemist
State alchemist
Badges:
Worships: Magical girls
Wish: everyone to be ultra happy!

Post by CureRainbow » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:38 pm

Alexander wrote:Previous movie I watched was Catching Fire which was so much better than the first one.
I really loved Catching Fire, probably because it was a very faithful adaptation to the book~ Not that I don't like the first movie, that was good too.
Many thanks to Hikarin for making the amazing Akari~n sig!~
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:47 pm

Eibbor82 wrote:Also on The Desolation of Smaug
SpoilerShow
I noticed how when Legolas was interrogating that orc/goblin after the barrel scene they both mentioned how the orc was hunting 13 dwarves. There was only 12 dwarves in The Hobbit, Bilbo making the party become 13.
SpoilerShow
Pretty sure it's in the book as a party of 13 dwarves. The party numbered 13 and it was made up of (mostly) dwarves.
Tolkien orcs tend to be on the stupid side, so letting them know they were looking for a party of dwarves makes a lot of sense. I doubt anyone really bothered to count exactly or determine exactly which race the creatures were. 'Dwarves' might have just been used as a placeholder name for short-stout creatures, which hobbits are.
blaZofgold
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
Worships: God, the real one
Wish: Murphy's Law not to be always true

Post by blaZofgold » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:59 pm

Since I don't want this to return back to anime, let me just say real quick that all of Miyasaki's films are AMAZING and OMG <3
/done

I don't watch movies often, the last movie that I watched and thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish was Wreck it Ralph.
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem

Post by Kordosa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:41 am

Kordosa wrote:Please be mindful of plot spoilers, especially for movies that are still in theaters. And even for movies that have been around for a while, because even if it's a movie you saw several years ago, there's still a chance that someone else has not. So please be considerate.
Midnight-Jasper wrote:I watched The Little Mermaid for the first time on Tuesday and it gave off more than a few problematic vibes xD
Wow, I wasn't expecting my point to actually be proven, lol. It's been a really long time since I've watched any Disney movies from the 80s and 90s. I kind of wonder how well they would stack up now since I'm an adult. Almost makes me want to hunt for my family's VHS Disney collection... You guys remember VHS, right?
QuotesShow
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:40 am

Kordosa wrote:
Kordosa wrote:You guys remember VHS, right?
VHS? That's new stuff. I think I still have my Walkman, played audio tapes. And I probably have some old floppies (that were actually floppy) around here somewhere :p
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:42 am

Bastion wrote:
Kordosa wrote:
Kordosa wrote:You guys remember VHS, right?
VHS? That's new stuff. I think I still have my Walkman, played audio tapes. And I probably have some old floppies (that were actually floppy) around here somewhere :p
VHS? Heck, I still remember having a Betamax player back when I was a kid! :lol:

Anyway, if you guys don't mind, I'll be posting some trailers for 2014 movies I'm looking forward to (besides The Hobbit: There and Back Again, which has no trailer as of yet):
300: Rise of an EmpireShow

- Okay, so this is more of a "might watch" compared to the next movie below.
Captain America: The Winter SoldierShow
Godzilla (2014)Show

- Can Legendary Pictures put the "God" back in "Godzilla" after the critically panned 1998 "remake"?
"To the good people I met on this site (Kordosa, Minhtam, Crisu, Maglor, Desufire, Momo, Marinara, Midnight-Jasper, Hikarin, Momento10, Shiraoky, Alex, Bastion, Superunature, Demi., Sedon, xcrossfacekillahx, Silver21, CureRainbow) thank you for the nice memories."
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:44 am

Re-watched Desolation of Smaug in 3D, and it somehow enhances some of the movie's nightmare fuel moments:
SpoilerShow
- Thorin's company getting lost in Mirkwood. The whole mind screw sequence becomes even more mind-screwy when watched in 3D. And don't get me started on those Mirkwood spiders...
- The entire scene with Gandalf visiting the tombs of the Nazgul. Bad enough if you're afraid of heights (since Gandalf has to climb a set of old, crumbling stone steps on the side of a cliff to get to the doorway), more so once Gandalf enters the tomb. Save for the old narrow stone walkways (and crypts/dungeons along the walls), it's one big pit of blackness. And then there's that jump scare with a bat flying out of one of the crypts...
EDIT:

On a different note, just adding this:

Rurouni Kenshin 2!!
blaZofgold
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:

Post by blaZofgold » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:09 am

Just saw Frozen. Wow. Just wow.

If you guys haven't seen it, it is THE movie of the year. Seriously, it's amazing. Go watch it if you can. Fractal beauty everywhere, plus an enjoyable plotline with amazing singing.

Let it go~
My "Best" EndShow
I thought this was going to be the ending, and it is still the ending I prefer.

Anna rushed back to the castle, finds Hans, asks him to kiss her. Just as they are about to kiss, Hans pushes Anna away.

"I can't. I'm sorry."

"Why? Hans, don't you love me?"

"Actually..." He looks away. "I love your sister more."

Anna is shocked, Hans explains that he truly adores Elsa and loves her from the bottom of his heart. Realizing that Elsa needs somebody like Hans, Anna tells Hans to leave her and find Elsa. Hans leaves reluctantly, Kristoff comes to Anna's rescue. Kristoff and Anna scene is the same from the movie, but instead of Hans trying to kill Elsa he's proposing to her. The two men say I love you at the same time, Anna is unfrozen while Elsa stops her blizzard. They turn around and find themselves face to face with each other. Overcome with joy at seeing the other alive, they embrace. Ending continues as per usual, except Hans is not a bad guy and gets shipped with Elsa.

I like this ending because A) It removes the weird Hans-becomes-a-sudden-villain-and-feels-awkward moment, B) You can target the turkey guy to be true villain, C) Keeps most of the drama and storyline, and D) You get an epic double proposal, double prince, double princess scenario. I liked Hans to be honest, thought he had more potential as a protagonist instead of a villain.
The cold never bothered me anyways.
shiraoky
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: the rwby ladies <3
Wish: more time to laze around and have fun!

Post by shiraoky » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:22 am

blaZofgold wrote:Just saw Frozen. Wow. Just wow.

If you guys haven't seen it, it is THE movie of the year. Seriously, it's amazing. Go watch it if you can. Fractal beauty everywhere, plus an enjoyable plotline with amazing singing.

Let it go~
My "Best" EndShow
I thought this was going to be the ending, and it is still the ending I prefer.

Anna rushed back to the castle, finds Hans, asks him to kiss her. Just as they are about to kiss, Hans pushes Anna away.

"I can't. I'm sorry."

"Why? Hans, don't you love me?"

"Actually..." He looks away. "I love your sister more."

Anna is shocked, Hans explains that he truly adores Elsa and loves her from the bottom of his heart. Realizing that Elsa needs somebody like Hans, Anna tells Hans to leave her and find Elsa. Hans leaves reluctantly, Kristoff comes to Anna's rescue. Kristoff and Anna scene is the same from the movie, but instead of Hans trying to kill Elsa he's proposing to her. The two men say I love you at the same time, Anna is unfrozen while Elsa stops her blizzard. They turn around and find themselves face to face with each other. Overcome with joy at seeing the other alive, they embrace. Ending continues as per usual, except Hans is not a bad guy and gets shipped with Elsa.

I like this ending because A) It removes the weird Hans-becomes-a-sudden-villain-and-feels-awkward moment, B) You can target the turkey guy to be true villain, C) Keeps most of the drama and storyline, and D) You get an epic double proposal, double prince, double princess scenario. I liked Hans to be honest, thought he had more potential as a protagonist instead of a villain.
The cold never bothered me anyways.
SpoilerShow
but i effing loved it when hans turned out to be evil. I think I had a fangirl spasm at that moment :p And although I wanted to ship Elsa with someone bc Elsa super awesome epic best, I also like it that she ended up alone :x i guess she doesnt need no man!! :D but yeah i really did like this movie and the songs were just <3333 and i sing them all day.
Thanks to M-J for the beautiful sigs<3~!
blaZofgold
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:

Post by blaZofgold » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:50 am

shiraoky wrote:
SpoilerShow
but i effing loved it when hans turned out to be evil. I think I had a fangirl spasm at that moment :p And although I wanted to ship Elsa with someone bc Elsa super awesome epic best, I also like it that she ended up alone :x i guess she doesnt need no man!! :D but yeah i really did like this movie and the songs were just <3333 and i sing them all day.
I am holding you to this promise. I await your lovely serenade on RC.
shiraoky
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: the rwby ladies <3
Wish: more time to laze around and have fun!

Post by shiraoky » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:52 am

blaZofgold wrote:
shiraoky wrote:
SpoilerShow
I am holding you to this promise. I await your lovely serenade on RC.
wait what no i never said-
blaz :< i am awaiting your frozen duet with kuro
Thanks to M-J for the beautiful sigs<3~!
Metaler
Shinigami
Shinigami
Worships: Minakami Yuki; Takako X Runa; Mioda Ibuki; Toono Ren... It's a long-ass list.
Wish: To keep on taking it easy, and to keep my mind limber.

Post by Metaler » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:12 am

I hear Argentinan movies are pretty good.
"Care about people's approval and you will be their prisoner" ~Lao Tzu
Momo
State alchemist
State alchemist
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Akemi Homura
Melon Pan: 132
Wish: Yotsuba-chan♥

Post by Momo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:36 am

I'm watching Frozen and I keep thinking of Kuro as MC lolol