Movies

Everything else, off-topic. Share your thoughts on sports, news, politics, school, gardening, stamp collecting, etc...
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter
Melon Pan: 50

Re: Movies

Post by Elvinsky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:20 am

^
If there was a live-action adaptation movie of Ano Hana and you saw it, it's probably okay to post on this thread. I did post that trailer for the second Rurouni Kenshin live-action movie (apparently covering the Shishio arc) and nobody seemed to mind.
"Rip and Tear. Rip and tear until it's done."
"To the good people I met on this site (Kordosa, Minhtam, Crisu, Maglor, Desufire, Momo, Marinara, Midnight-Jasper, Hikarin, Momento10, Shiraoky, Alex, Bastion, Superunature, Demi., Sedon, xcrossfacekillahx, Silver21, CureRainbow) thank you for the nice memories."
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem
Worships: Moriya Suwako's hat
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Eugeo
2018 Female Favorite: Yamada Elf
2018 Male Favorite: Willem Kmetsch
2017 Female Favorite: Darkness
2017 Male Favorite: Roy Mustang
Wish: A third season of Spice and Wolf.

Post by Kordosa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:30 am

Momento10 wrote:^highly reasonable. I was looking for a place to express my thoughts but had a rough time deciding where. There is no Anohana subforum created, and the movie technically aired in the late summer/early fall albeit raw, and I do not really understand how the concept of subs work in terms of when it is shown in various places of the world, so finding the "correct" place place to put it in was an oversight on my part. I should have known that this thread was dedicated to non-anime movies given what has been posted thus far.
When in doubt, I always choose the catchup bucket thread since its a catchall thread for anything that has previously aired.
Personally, I don't treat fansub releases as the same as the air dates because there's no guarantee a fansub group will be speedsubbing.

Live-action adaptations are okay here since there's no other analogous thread specifically for them.
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
shiraoky wrote:I'm always squeeing lol.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:26 pm

Finally managed to watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier today.
my own take on a certain meme from the movieShow
impressions (includes actual plot spoilers)Show
Okay, so I did read all those movie spoilers on the TV Tropes page regarding SHIELD being infiltrated by HYDRA from its inception. (Well, I couldn't help it since I really wanted to watch the movie on its premiere day... However, shit happened and I couldn't go out for nearly four weeks. >_< But I digress.)

Anyway, if you asked me if reading all those spoilers reduced or ruined the whole movie-viewing experience, my answer would be...not so much. If anything, it only made me want to watch it more (not to mention I wanted to see Senator Stern making that memed whisper of his). :lol: Marvel Studios did an excellent (albeit unintentional?) subterfuge job hyping the late arrival spoiler about the Winter Soldier's identity in order to hide the big twist above. And for comic-book fans, the whole cold open--with no reveal of the movie title until the end credits--is reminiscent (or a cross-media homage, perhaps?) of The Night Gwen Stacy Died.

Sharper eyes (or those familiar with movie-making) may notice a bit of undercranking in some of the fight scenes between Cap and the Winter Soldier (especially in the scenes where Cap is in civilian clothes). While done presumably to emphasize their superhuman abilities, it kinda comes off a bit narm-y. Fortunately, the undercranked portions of those scenes were shown as briefly as possible, and the fight scenes with Cap in uniform more than make up for it.

Apart from that little nitpick, Captain America: The Winter Soldier was an enjoyable watch overall. As with any other movie from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, be sure to watch after the credits!
Besides the Godzilla reboot and part 3 of The Hobbit film trilogy (now retitled The Battle Of The Five Armies), I'm also looking forward to seeing this:

"To the good people I met on this site (Kordosa, Minhtam, Crisu, Maglor, Desufire, Momo, Marinara, Midnight-Jasper, Hikarin, Momento10, Shiraoky, Alex, Bastion, Superunature, Demi., Sedon, xcrossfacekillahx, Silver21, CureRainbow) thank you for the nice memories."
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Sat May 17, 2014 5:41 am

Watched Godzilla on Thursday (since the premiere date over here is one day ahead of the US release)...in 3D.
Overall impressions (no plot spoilers, though)Show
While Godzilla's battles with the Mutos could use more screentime and was disappointed that they didn't use Blue Öyster Cult's song in the credits, it's still safe to say that Legendary has finally put the "God" back in "Godzilla" (at least in the Western front) after the 1998 "remake."

The only side effect is...I now have this urge to see the original 1954 film for comparison. (Preferably subbed and--if possible--unedited.)
Alexander
Translator
Translator
Badges:
Melon Pan: 92
Wish: It's a secret

Post by Alexander » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:42 pm

Since the last time I posted I watched:
The Winter SoldierShow
It was pretty enjoyable. Much better than the first one. Also it was interesting to see the captain's to do list being personalized.
Amazing Spider-man 2Show
Enjoyed this one as well. Liked it better than the previous one. And... that ending...
GodzillaShow
It was a decent movie, kinda slow for me. Could have used some more Godzilla action.
X-men: Days of Future PastShow
This movie was awesome.
Edge of TomorrowShow
Good movie overall. I think, however, that it lacked an epic moment.
ImageImage
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem

Post by Kordosa » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:46 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I finally had the opportunity to sit down and watch Men in Black II and 3.

I enjoyed 3 a lot more, as I thought II got a little silly during some parts. I thought 3 had a higher emotional impact and a more interesting storyline. Also, Josh Brolin was superb. I've only seen him in one other film (W.), and his performances in both this and that one were incredible.

And it looks like I waited too long to go see Winter Soldier. I'm not really a theater buff... Guess I'll need to seriously find some time to go see Godzilla.
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.
shiraoky
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: the rwby ladies <3
Wish: more time to laze around and have fun!

Post by shiraoky » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:26 am

Watched The Fault in Our Stars with a theater full of people fangirling and crying as much as I was.
Thanks to M-J for the beautiful sigs<3~!
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: Erika Sendou
Melon Pan: 181
Wish: a kookie?

Post by kanohistorm » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:37 am

watched Godzilla in the theaters and a couple of random ones on the plane such as "The Lone Survivor", "3 days to kill", "Anchorman 2" and "Firestorm"
spoiler alert :3
DarknessHid
Wise wolf
Wise wolf
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: xtina
Wish: christina aguilera to go on tour

Post by DarknessHid » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:27 am

I didn't know this thread existed.
X-men: Days of Future Past:Show
This movie was godly. I totally ship McFassy.
AND OMG THE SPEED GUY FAST GUY EPIC GUY HNGGG
QUICKSILVER I LOVE YOU SO MUCH ;w;<3
so fangirl. much love. such prowess.
Saving Mr.BanksShow
This is the Disney movie about how Disney got the rights to Mary Poppins. It was pretty good I guess. The author was kinda a poop, but she had a rough life. Made me really like the workers at Disney. Such creativity >w<
thank you santa
RichardJoash
~Eye of Twilight~
~Eye of Twilight~
Badges:
Worships: Yaya, Asseylum, Hestia, Nao, Rory, Albedo and Stella Vermillion
Melon Pan: 45
2018 Female Favorite: Yaya
2017 Female Favorite: Stella Vermillion
2017 Male Favorite: Kurogane Ikki
Wish: To tell the fans of Porsche, Subaru, Honda, Chevrolet, Can-Am On-Road and ROG Phone and ROG Phone 2 to join ISML and get those Turkeys off the Thanksgiving Menu

Post by RichardJoash » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:29 pm

I'm looking forward to watch Transformers: Age Of Extinction soon
Kono Hoshi o Nameru na yo! Image Sankyuu, Hikarin! Image From my secret santa
Grish
[Erithacus rubecula]
[Erithacus rubecula]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: birds
Melon Pan: 101
2018 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2018 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
2017 Female Favorite: Sakura Kyōko
2017 Male Favorite: Kurapika

Post by Grish » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:04 pm

Last week my art-and-movie group watched Leafie: A Hen into the Wild. For some reason it is full of bishie ducks.
bishie ducksShow
MALTumblr
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem

Post by Kordosa » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:54 am

I just got back from watching Godzilla with my dad as a sort of late Father's Day outing since today was the last day it was showing in my local theater.

While I enjoyed it, there were some things I thought could have been handled a bit better. I'll cover that below. As for the fights, while I did like that the smoke and debris made the fights more dramatic, I sort of wish they were more visible. On the other hand, I think it was used fairly well, since depending on the animation, it could have just ended up looking like two guys in costumes throwing punches at each other, and would have been more comical than anything. Still, it was kind of a lazy method, but I guess it was okay.

Now for the fridge logic:
Fridge logic; spoilers flow freely hereShow
  • First. Small arms or anti-personnel weapons against three hundred-foot tall monsters that consume radiation for food... Cue facepalm. I mean, sure it's better than nothing, but at least go for some armor-piercing weapons. Heck, flamethrowers might have been nice.
  • Second. Mr-Head-Scientist-of-Top-Secret-Organization-Studying-Godzilla-and-Associated-Creatures-for-Past-Fifty-Years told Head-US-Navy-Commander-Guy about the Not-Godzilla creatures' penchant for consuming radiation as well as the electromagnetic pulses they emit. But neither did the train carrying the nuclear warhead possess any sort of radiation dampening material to mask its transportation (in case the Not-Godzilla monsters decided to attack it prematurely), nor did the US military think to deploy vehicles less susceptible to EMPs (lol, I'm gonna fly an un-aerodynamic ton of metal that can only fly because it has a million dollar computer system onboard); this includes their naval vessels as well.
  • Third. When it was clear the monsters in question were heading for the US west coast, no evacuation orders were given until the monsters actually made landfall (and even then, it was "Get to a shelter" or just stay inside).
  • Fourth. Since the nuclear tests in the 1950s were actually attacks against Godzilla, that means either the Cold War as we actually know it did not exist, or was a massive international cover-up for operations involving Godzilla.
Non-spoiler fridge logicShow
Since the movie's setting assumes that Godzilla movies themselves don't exist, that would mean that Mozilla Firefox as it exists today wouldn't be known as such since its name was derived as a web browser to "kill" the original Mosaic browser. Hence, Mo + zilla. Likewise any other app with "zilla" in the name would also likely not exist or have different names.
Also, the bus driver was epic.
Last edited by Kordosa on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuotesShow
DarknessHid
Wise wolf
Wise wolf
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: xtina
Wish: christina aguilera to go on tour

Post by DarknessHid » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:34 am

The Delivery ManShow
Oh my god this movie was godly
all the kids were so cute ;;
My fav kids:
~hot, tsundere coffee shop actor dude
~ultra good-looking, bi dude who pulls all da men
~musician guy on the street who just wanted to meet his father<3
thank you santa
Midnight-Jasper
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Badges:
Wish: viva all, baby~

Post by Midnight-Jasper » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:37 pm

I watched The Wind Rises on my birthday and it was so good! I really didn't expect it to be that good. I'm not a wholly committed Miyazaki fan since I've only seen a few films but none of them affected me as deeply as this one did. To be honest my attention flagged a little towards the middle but just as I was thinking about that there was a truly beautiful paper aeroplane scene, and all the rest of the film was just so amazingly joyous. I LOVED it.
Alexander
Translator
Translator
Badges:
Melon Pan: 92
Wish: It's a secret

Post by Alexander » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:14 pm

Recently watched Maleficent. I honestly wasn't expecting much of it, and almost didn't bother with it, but it was quite a good and enjoyable movie.
ImageImage
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:26 am

Kordosa wrote:
  • First. Small arms or anti-personnel weapons against three hundred-foot tall monsters that consume radiation for food... Cue facepalm. I mean, sure it's better than nothing, but at least go for some armor-piercing weapons. Heck, flamethrowers might have been nice.
  • Second. Mr-Head-Scientist-of-Top-Secret-Organization-Studying-Godzilla-and-Associated-Creatures-for-Past-Fifty-Years told Head-US-Navy-Commander-Guy about the Not-Godzilla creatures' penchant for consuming radiation as well as the electromagnetic pulses they emit. But neither did the train carrying the nuclear warhead possess any sort of radiation dampening material to mask its transportation (in case the Not-Godzilla monsters decided to attack it prematurely), nor did the US military think to deploy vehicles less susceptible to EMPs (lol, I'm gonna fly an un-aerodynamic ton of metal that can only fly because it has a million dollar computer system onboard); this includes their naval vessels as well.
  • Third. When it was clear the monsters in question were heading for the US west coast, no evacuation orders were given until the monsters actually made landfall (and even then, it was "Get to a shelter" or just stay inside).
  • Fourth. Since the nuclear tests in the 1950s were actually attacks against Godzilla, that means either the Cold War as we actually know it did not exist, or was a massive international cover-up for operations involving Godzilla.
responseShow
  • To be fair, it's probably justified for those Hawaii SWAT cops. They are trained to take down dangerous criminals (hence only having anti-personnel weapons), but they have never (until then) encountered a kaiju before. As for flamethrowers...don't they generate radiation in the form of heat? Which leads to another fridge logic: Do the MUTOs just eat radioactive stuff, or can they also absorb thermal radiation from other sources?
  • That information probably wasn't passed down the chain of command quickly enough, although that shouldn't be an excuse if the military's communication system is advanced enough. Unless...the majority of those systems still aren't hardened against EMPs. (Damned budget cuts!)
  • I guess Monarch and the government still hoped that the cover-up would stick and avert a widespread panic. Also, how fast was that flying MUTO...err...flying towards the US west coast?
  • I'm willing to support the possibility that Soviet Russia also had their own attempt/s to kill the Big G.
Adding some new trailers (for the benefit of those who haven't seen them yet):
Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno (w/ subs)Show
Guardians of The GalaxyShow

Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem

Post by Kordosa » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:02 am

Elvinsky wrote:
Kordosa wrote:
responseShow
  • That information probably wasn't passed down the chain of command quickly enough, although that shouldn't be an excuse if the military's communication system is advanced enough. Unless...the majority of those systems still aren't hardened against EMPs. (Damned budget cuts!)
Response in kindShow
Actually, when I brought up this point with my dad, he pointed out the military could have brought out their older tech if they had had time. Older ships made use of pneumatics for various systems, so electronics were either not needed or kept to a minimum. And while many older ships are decommissioned, I don't think many are actually deconstructed. More than likely, they are stored away somewhere, and all they would have needed to do was inspect them for sea-worthiness, equip them, and transfer crews. I don't know about aircraft, though. You'd probably have to go back to WWII-era aircraft in order to bypass susceptibility to EMPs. And I'm not sure how many of those would be combat-ready since I'm pretty sure many of those are in the hands of private collectors or WWII exhibition pilots, and in both cases, they would have been demilitarized for civilian use.
QuotesShow
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:37 am

Kordosa wrote:
Response in kindShow
Actually, when I brought up this point with my dad, he pointed out the military could have brought out their older tech if they had had time. Older ships made use of pneumatics for various systems, so electronics were either not needed or kept to a minimum. And while many older ships are decommissioned, I don't think many are actually deconstructed. More than likely, they are stored away somewhere, and all they would have needed to do was inspect them for sea-worthiness, equip them, and transfer crews. I don't know about aircraft, though. You'd probably have to go back to WWII-era aircraft in order to bypass susceptibility to EMPs. And I'm not sure how many of those would be combat-ready since I'm pretty sure many of those are in the hands of private collectors or WWII exhibition pilots, and in both cases, they would have been demilitarized for civilian use.
SpoilerShow
Hmm... Would the same case be said for early Cold War-era tech (if any were mothballed), and would they work just as well?
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem

Post by Kordosa » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:44 am

Elvinsky wrote:
Kordosa wrote:
Response in kindShow
SpoilerShow
Hmm... Would the same case be said for early Cold War-era tech (if any were mothballed), and would they work just as well?
SpoilerShow
It's definitely a possibility. Aircraft, again, I'm not sure about. Jets were deployed near the end of WWII, and once again, they are not at all aerodynamic. For naval vessels, nuclear subs would have been out for obvious reasons. It would depend on the tech employed, really.
QuotesShow
BugH
[Komoe's Apprentice]
[Komoe's Apprentice]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Mental Out
Melon Pan: 13
2017 Female Favorite: Shokuhō Misaki
Wish: Unlimited Paper Works

Post by BugH » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:42 am

already watched Maleficent