Touhou game series

Everything else, off-topic. Share your thoughts on sports, news, politics, school, gardening, stamp collecting, etc...
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar
Worships: Takamachi Nanoha
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: The past to not weigh me down

Touhou game series

Post by Seishi » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:16 pm

Let's see how many fans of this series we have around here. It doesn't matter if you support Touhou characters in ISML or not (though I wish you would!), you can come to this thread to discuss all your cool exploits with the game. Post your thoughts, tips and tricks, replays, and possibly even challenge another person to a game of SWR.

I don't have much time left right now, but I'll come back later with a more detailed post (ha ha...) of my views on the series.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Re: Touhou game series

Post by Chocola » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:34 pm

I am as indifferent towards Touhou as you can be but after LazyCanuck posted that Reimu picture in the campaign forum I think I'm now in <3 with her.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
LazyCanuck
Chuunibyou
Chuunibyou

Post by LazyCanuck » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:54 pm

although massively rage inducing the games are awesome <_>
the music is godly
and most of the characters are pretty awesome and funny depending on who it is, from Marisa's obsessive love for mushrooms and massively destructive magic to Yuyuko trying to eat Mystia, its allll goood
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Fate Testarossa
Melon Pan: 105
2020 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2020 Male Favorite: Hei
2019 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2019 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2018 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2018 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
Wish: Perpetual joy for friends and family

Post by Fate » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:20 pm

I heard some pretty good & bad stuff about the Touhou characters from various sources. (my feelings are quite indifferent/neutral though) I played some of its games, which are hard. Music is nice.
ImageALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!Image
[url=irc://irc.rizon.net/Feitoism]#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net[/url]
Corni
~Senior Member~
~Senior Member~
Badges:
Worships: Yoshino Sakura
Melon Pan: 15
2020 Female Favorite: Furuhashi Fumino
2020 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
2019 Female Favorite: Hirasawa Yui
2019 Male Favorite: Rimuru Tempest
2018 Female Favorite: Tenma Gabriel White
2018 Male Favorite: Kanzaki Hideri
Wish: Wanna have daughters someday... Don't care blood or non blood... Maybe meet someone blonde and less than 140cm for marriage...

Post by Corni » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:48 am

Yeah Touhou is one of best series game ever...
Actually i not fan of shooting danmaku game genre but Touhou make me like it...

And i not fan of Touhou music... I find the music just above average *my opinion*...
And my fav is SWR...
Current top ten list August 2020:-
1) Yoshino Sakura (Da Capo) 2) Nikaidou Shinku (Irotoridori no Sekai) 3) Kagamigawa Chloe (Memories Off 6) 4) Tamura Yuri (Watamote) 5) Tsuruta Himeko (Saki) 6) Hibiki (Kancolle) 7) Kujikawa Rise (Persona 4) 8) Sheila Helman (Rance series) 9) Furuhashi Fumino (Bokuben) 10) Adolf Retia (Daiteitoku)
SpoilerShow
Chiharu
Samurai
Samurai

Post by Chiharu » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:31 am

Touhou is awesome~
I first started with Imperishable Night, and then I downloaded PCB, SubA, and EoSD, but EoSD screwed up my resolution, so I couldn't play it. The only one I've gotten far on is IN, but I really enjoy the games. <3 My favorite (if it wasn't obvious) is Marisa. Master spark ftw. :]
The music is also awesome, especially dBu's works. I only have one song though, so I hope I can get the rest soon. *hinthint to a certain someone on IRC* IOSYS has great songs too. For some reason I really like Cirno's Perfect Math Class. xD;
Signature by Ichigo-Sora. | myanimelist.
Xjellocross
Mahou shoujo
Mahou shoujo
Badges:

Post by Xjellocross » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:31 am

Chiharu wrote:For some reason I really like Cirno's Perfect Math Class. xD;
It's miko's voice I swear. The song is addicting ._.

I listen to more Touhou music than anything else these days (yes, 9001 remixes of the same 50 songs does not bore me) and I've been getting better at the games. Still can't beat any normal stages without continues though >_>
Don't ask who she is, I barely know anything beyond her name.
CCY
Pokémon trainer
Pokémon trainer

Post by CCY » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:45 am

I think the best way to get people to pay attention to Touhou is a video. After all, who wouldn't want to be able to complete something like this: (the fun starts around 1 minute in)
SpoilerShow
Sadly I'm not quite up to that level yet, but I enjoy the Touhou games a lot as well as the fandom in general. There really is almost a Rule-34 effect for Touhou - and not just for dirty things. I mean, I've seen fangames revolving around Touhou Soccer, Touhou Tower Defense (Patchcon), Touhou Pokemon, Touhou Kart (Cirno Racing, in development), etc etc etc, and it really just amazes me.

Especially since like a lot of people I'm smitten with the music and character designs, and all the games and communities means I get a lot of both. There's a Touhou song for every mood, or something: I like the crack IOSYS songs as mentioned, but the 25-minute piano medleys are relaxing and great for working too; then there's the rock songs, the orchestral, the swing music, so on so forth.

Although the one thing I hate is probably how much I suck at Touhou, but that just makes things like me 1cc'ing Mountain of Faith on Normal with ReimuA that much more gratifying. :D
====================================================

Mega Megane Moe
Mushi
Hunter
Hunter
Worships: Shana

Post by Mushi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:27 am

CCY wrote:I think the best way to get people to pay attention to Touhou is a video.
That is just so insane. :shock: In the little reading about Touhou that I've done, I followed a random link and got the demo+english patch for Touhou 6 (the one where Sakuya gets introduced, since she strikes my fancy). I've managed to beat level 3 in easy mode and can't even begin to imagine getting to something like the level in that video.
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar

Post by Seishi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:44 am

Touhou is incredibly hard, but that's put on by the genre itself. It took me at least a week of two hours per day on PCB easy mode to stop sucking on a regular basis. Imperishable Night is STILL the only game I've 1cc'd on normal, though I have not really tried a whole lot in the past half year or so. The game literally desensitized me after a good while, so the frustration of constantly dying didn't get to me as much as other games. I still have flashes of that dying SFX in my head every now and then...

Oh the fanon, the fanon...it's retardedly huge. It's so massive it has its own significant gravitational pull which I cannot escape.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
LazyCanuck
Chuunibyou
Chuunibyou

Post by LazyCanuck » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:56 pm

Mushi wrote:
CCY wrote:I think the best way to get people to pay attention to Touhou is a video.
That is just so insane. :shock: In the little reading about Touhou that I've done, I followed a random link and got the demo+english patch for Touhou 6 (the one where Sakuya gets introduced, since she strikes my fancy). I've managed to beat level 3 in easy mode and can't even begin to imagine getting to something like the level in that video.

Hahaha
well that WAS Lunatic mode of Touhou 10 Mountain of Faith, unless you have godly skills and Memorization you don't even bother with Lunatic mode >_>

I can beat easy mode for all of them except #11, but I've yet to beat any of them on Normal, I've gotten close on Imperishable night (got to Kaguya's last spell card then died -.-) and I've managed to get to Remilia in #6 Embodiment of Scarlet Devil but that's about it for normal modes lol the rest of them i fail horribly xD
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Melon Pan: 105
2020 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2020 Male Favorite: Hei
2019 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2019 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2018 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2018 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
Wish: Perpetual joy for friends and family

Post by Fate » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:36 pm

Imperishable Night has to be my favorite Touhou game. That doujinstyle site removed them off their servers when I had to get a new PC, so I couldn't DL the rest, so I only have a few of its games.
My favorite pairing would have to be the Reimu x Yukari one. I remember getting to stage 5 on easy mode...got overwhelmed pretty quickly though.
Last edited by Fate on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!Image
[url=irc://irc.rizon.net/Feitoism]#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net[/url]
Val
Uguu~
Uguu~

Post by Val » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:40 pm

I like Touhou games, but they're too damn hard for me. Embodiment of Scarlet Devil is fine though. And the musics are definitely awesome.

But I tend to prefer IaMP, maybe because I'm more into fighting games than shooters :p
melange
Artisan
Artisan
Badges:
Worships: Iwakura Lain
Wish: White Queen & Black Queen

Post by melange » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:24 pm

Val wrote:I like Touhou games, but they're too damn hard for me. Embodiment of Scarlet Devil is fine though.
How does that compute? >_>
The Dancing Doll of the Infirmary - Higanbana
Xjellocross
Mahou shoujo
Mahou shoujo
Badges:

Post by Xjellocross » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:56 pm

Fate wrote:Imperishable Night has to be my favorite Touhou game. That doujinstyle site removed them off their servers when I had to get a new PC, so I couldn't DL the rest, so I only have a few of its games.
My favorite pairing would have to be the Reimu x Yukari one. I remember getting to stage 5 on easy mode...got overwhelmed pretty quickly though.
lol use 4chan /rs/ if you really can't find them anywhere else. People can avoid 4chan all they want but /rs/ is always good as a last resort.
melange wrote:
Val wrote:I like Touhou games, but they're too damn hard for me. Embodiment of Scarlet Devil is fine though.
How does that compute? >_>
How does it not compute? o_O
I find the Touhou games really challenging as well but I still love to play them in my spare time. Although EoSD is one of the harder ones in my opinion...
Don't ask who she is, I barely know anything beyond her name.
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar

Post by Seishi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:37 pm

While I personally think Subterranean Animism is the hardest game, I have met people who believe the exact opposite. I also have a friend who completely dominates at Perfect Cherry Blossom, but can't beat Imperishable Night to save his life. Imperishable Night is by far my best game only because I spent the most time on it, probably twice as much as the next highest.
Shini
Pokémon trainer
Pokémon trainer

Post by Shini » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:01 pm

I'm definitely best at PCB..pretty much just because I play that one most often. I'm decent @ EoSD, and..mediocre at IN. I do love the concept of IN, though. StB is ridiculously addictive, but sadly, I'm terrible at it. D:
I absolutely love all of the Touhou music.
Fate wrote:That doujinstyle site removed them off their servers when I had to get a new PC, so I couldn't DL the rest, so I only have a few of its games.
Doujinstyle actually still has them available in the forums, as links to DDL sites -
http://www.doujinstyle.com/forum/index. ... opic=14608" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They're at the bottom of the first post. That's how I got the games. (:
Mushi
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Mushi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:09 pm

LazyCanuck wrote:Hahaha
well that WAS Lunatic mode of Touhou 10 Mountain of Faith, unless you have godly skills and Memorization you don't even bother with Lunatic mode >_>
Yeah, I was wondering about the memorization part. You really have to know where to be, each and every time, in some of those patterns, don't you? Hey, does it matter what screen resolution you play on? Seems like lower resolution might make the movements a little more controllable, considering you sometimes only have a few pixels of maneuvering room.
Fate wrote:That doujinstyle site removed them off their servers when I had to get a new PC, so I couldn't DL the rest, so I only have a few of its games.
There's a currently active torrent that has 1-9.5. I'm assuming there are english patches for them somewhere?

And great googly moogly! There's a Touhou music collection that's 33 GB!? :shock:
Shini
Pokémon trainer
Pokémon trainer

Post by Shini » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:24 pm

Mushi wrote:And great googly moogly! There's a Touhou music collection that's 33 GB!? :shock:
There's one that's 300+ GB. D:
I almost clicked the download button, but luckily I realized the size in time. There's no way that thing has any chance of fitting on my HD. @[email protected];
Chiharu
Samurai
Samurai

Post by Chiharu » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:26 pm

Mushi: Yeah, but try a music collection that's 300+ GB. Lossless music collection. I was going to download what I liked but still didn't have enough room. 300+ GB of music is just o_o;

And I've heard about Cirno Racing. That should be super fun when it comes out. I have Touhoumon but I'm barely that far. I have a Marisa and something else, but I forgot since it's been a while since I've played. >_>

Off to play either that or SubA, now. xD;
Signature by Ichigo-Sora. | myanimelist.