General Books Discussion

Everything else, off-topic. Share your thoughts on sports, news, politics, school, gardening, stamp collecting, etc...
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

General Books Discussion

Post by chaosprophet » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:55 am

Well here a thread to talk about books in general (bookworms, gather!!). How much you like reading books? Why you like/dislike? Which are your favorite books? What kinds of books you like the most? Do you read light novels (japanese books where many anime are adaptated from)

If you consider the amount of books I read then I probably couldn't be considered a bookworm, but I don't really read many nowdays cause have other things I love even more. But I can really devour a book when I want to and really like it (like the last HP book... it was delivered at 9AM, started reading it only stopping to eat and bathroom and all, finishing it at around 2AM of next day).

My love for books probably come to from my wild imagination (to the point that even if I find the thriller/suspense/terror genre interesting, I don't read these kinds of books because I becom sacared in the middle XD). When reading a book I can feel like the characters are moving and speaking. Plus I like the level of detail and description that books have. Plus another advantage of books, or any media that you read instead of watch, is that you can do it at your own pace, while in videos you have to follow the pace established by the studio. Yes you can pause and all if it's not passing on tv or isn't a movie on the cine but that can be really annoying and can make you lose part of the excitement of the scene (argh at me trying to read those things in bakemonogatari...).

Well some of my favorite books are the Harry Potter series (5-7 are the best imo), Lord of the Rings universe (Silmarillion ftw!), Dan Brown books (like all 4 but Deception Point is my fav so far... and wow when I was writing this i noticed his 5th book was out @[email protected]). I read around half of the Narnia series but the constant change in characters made me lost a bit of interest. Another series I think it's worth of note is the Christy Miller series (nice teenagers love story) that I only read around half too cause at the time I didn't had acess to the other half. I like many light novels too and usually more than their anime/manga adaptations. They usually have a more mature feel and the art is nicer to me.
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Re: General Books Discussion

Post by ithekro » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:33 am

The Silmarillion....
I was forced to read that for a college course. (then compare and contrast other stories sci-fi stories with a creation myth in them) I hadn't read the Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings yet. (I'd seen the old Hobbit movie a very long time ago, but it was mostly lost to my memory) So it read like the Bible to me. nothing meant anything to me either. It was fortunate those movies came out shortly after I read that novel...got me to read the rest of the books, otherwise I would have given it a total pass.

Af for other books...since getting on the internet almost all the time, I've pretty much stopped reading books since I keep having to looks things up online.
Space Opera
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:52 pm

The Silmarillion is all about the unverse and it can be really confusing by itself, plus already liking the universe by reading Lord of The Rings really helps. Good thing you read and liked then in the end. =D
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Fate Testarossa
Melon Pan: 105
2019 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2019 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2018 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2018 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
Wish: Perpetual joy for friends and family

Post by Fate » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:05 pm

I only usually read if I have to during school or I'm recommended the series. I find literature really interesting though. My favorite epic poem is The Odyssey and favorite work by Shakespeare is Romeo & Juliet.
ImageALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!Image
[url=irc://irc.rizon.net/Feitoism]#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net[/url]
sirwence
Arturian
Arturian
Badges:
Worships: Saber
2019 Female Favorite: Saber
2018 Female Favorite: Saber
2018 Male Favorite: Totsuka Saika

Post by sirwence » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:14 pm

hmm well chaos I share your views on lotr and other JRR works - I would also mention say the Belgariad and if you enjoyed it , its sequel is decent also combined for books total. I tend to read everything from non fiction western and eastern philosophy to fiction high/low fantasy and everything in between , I rather enjoy reading , and off and on audio books to - there is something to be said to just laying back and being read to haha.
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Melon Pan: 105
2019 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2019 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2018 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2018 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
Wish: Perpetual joy for friends and family

Post by Fate » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:30 am

I recently finished Hamlet. It was a great tragedy overall.
ImageALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!Image
[url=irc://irc.rizon.net/Feitoism]#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net[/url]
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:12 pm

I don't really read much, but I do enjoy a few science fiction novels from time to time. I'm almost finished with the Hitchhiker's trilogy and the Odyssey series, and am aiming for the Foundation series as well.

In fact, I'm probably going to read all of the sci-fi Big Three's works. That'll last me a while.
SpoilerShow
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:36 pm

A while ago, I finished the latest Dan Brown novel, Lost Symbol. Another great novel by him. I was talking with a friend that while the plot direction of his 5 novels have similiraties, he still is able to surprise us with every one of them.

Well it would be fun to have a teacher like Robert Langdon.
aly_angelflight
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel
Worships: Miyanaga Saki
Wish: A job to just land on my lap

Post by aly_angelflight » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:59 am

I love reading, but certain books annoy me to the core. (I especially hate Native Son. I'be the mind to throw the dratted book out into a garbage bin when I finish reading it for AP English Language and Composition, along with the hundreds of sticky notes littering its pages.) (To be continued...)
hinakatbklyn
Incubator
Incubator
Melon Pan: 55

Post by hinakatbklyn » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:47 pm

While manga seems to interest me more than actual reading due to visuals, I actually kept one huge book when I previously moved. If I found the time, I would read a chapter (which is actually a different story per chapter). The entire Sherlock Holmes Saga.
Val
Uguu~
Uguu~

Post by Val » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:13 pm

I don't have much time for books unfortunately, outside of work I usually have my hands full with new games/series/manga coming out >.>

Big fan of The Chronicles of Amber though, might have been my favorite books.

And I'd love to read some light novels, but these seem quite hard to find translated.
aly_angelflight
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel
Worships: Miyanaga Saki
Wish: A job to just land on my lap

Post by aly_angelflight » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:20 pm

I keep on reading books I don't like for school. (How in the world does one write a 7-10 page essay on knowledge and wisdom without reading some boring philosphy jargon? At least the only non-old book I quoted was current enough to be interesting was jargon-free. -_-;)

When I get around to it (i.e. once school starts up again on Monday), I will read Spirit Gate. After that, a true sci-fi/fantasy story (I can't remember the name off of the top of my head), and finally the Chronicles of Narnia series. (I'll get around to the library after that.)