What game are you playing right now?

Everything else, off-topic. Share your thoughts on sports, news, politics, school, gardening, stamp collecting, etc...
Motoyama
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel
Worships: Yyk Saigyouji
Melon Pan: 50

Re: What game are you playing right now?

Post by Motoyama » Sat May 09, 2009 4:06 am

Portal~

i liked the credits =/.
Val
Uguu~
Uguu~
Worships: Fate Testarossa

Post by Val » Sat May 09, 2009 1:44 pm

Fate wrote:You've never played the original FF VII?_? It was good but I don't consider it that great compared to many others.
I've done it several times, but it was a few years ago. And now I'd like to replay it, knowing the whole story we learn in Crisis Core.
And for me, it remains among the best FF. It was also the first I played so I may not be totally impartial. But the story, characters, and materia system... all was great.
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Melon Pan: 105
2018 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2018 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2017 Female Favorite: Fate Testarossa
2017 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
Wish: Perpetual joy for friends and family

Post by Fate » Sat May 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Story is lacking in the original. Characters' background info wasn't so good either. Materia system is easy to use and fun. It was the first FF I've played too but I find many others in the series to be above it. I'm a critic. The one game that has had the highest replayability for me would be FF IX.
ImageALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!Image
[url=irc://irc.rizon.net/Feitoism]#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net[/url]
Val
Uguu~
Uguu~

Post by Val » Mon May 11, 2009 1:58 pm

Actually I liked most of the story and characters background. It's not that common to have a main character who's completely schizophrenic and makes up his own past without realizing it =P
The main problem is that you have to do it at least twice to have a good view of the whole story, since it's quite twisted.

That being said, it's all a matter of taste I guess. For me, FF IX was the only one I didn't like ^^;
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Melon Pan: 105
2018 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2018 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2017 Female Favorite: Fate Testarossa
2017 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
Wish: Perpetual joy for friends and family

Post by Fate » Wed May 13, 2009 9:08 pm

I have lost all faith in you. Q__Q
ImageALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!Image
[url=irc://irc.rizon.net/Feitoism]#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net[/url]
Talec
Dojikko
Dojikko

Post by Talec » Thu May 14, 2009 9:58 am

Uhm I can understand Fate. I'm too one of these few people out there who doesn't consider FF7 as the greatest FF ever. The characters are nice and the story-developing too. But despite the problem with Clouds background, the game just doesn't leave the ground for me, like FF8 or FF10, which have both great story twists and story developing no one ever thought it could happen.

And I know, that FF8 is probably the most controversial FinalFantasy in the series, but for me it was FF8 > FF7.
LazyCanuck
Chuunibyou
Chuunibyou

Post by LazyCanuck » Thu May 14, 2009 3:23 pm

FF6 > all

i'm srs

FF7 was ok, it's a great game in the sense of that it revolutionized the FF series, being the first one to jump to the playstation and having amazing(at the time anyway) graphics. Do I think its the best? not really, personally no FF game will ever match FF6 in terms of everything i like in a FF game, but FF9 comes to good mind as a FF that i found very good.

FF10 being kinda in the same boat as FF7 as it sorta re-revolutionized the series again with eyegasming graphics and being the first game to have voice actors, dont get me wrong it was VERY good as well.

FF12 seem to be a total hit or miss with people for whatever reason, Square tried something new and personally i think they did a great job with it, the new battle system although kinda dull at times was still good, the world itself was MASSIVE and amazing, no one can deny that. I did find the story was a bit lacking though but eh, that seems to be the trend with video games these days anyway, its all about graphics and never about the game orz

not much to say about FF4 really, i enjoyed the game alot since i still own the SNES cartridge, but yeah its a good game with good characters and story, but its pretty old so eh, it still gets good points for being of the originals.

Now the only "meh" FF i've played, which is FF8, i dunno what it was but really almost everything about the game was just kinda dull, i never found myself getting into the story really at all, or any of the characters, pretty much seemed like all of them except squall and Rinoa were there just because they could be there and had no real relevance half the time. The battle system while not horrible was rather "wtf-ish" so to speak, you could totally break the game half the time by just drawing over and over and over again, i pretty much never used magic in the entirety of the game because doing so would just lower my characters stats, so i dunno..the "limit" system was pretty easy to abuse as well. not much for minigames or side stuff to do either, and who ever created the music for the card game needs to be slapped in the face, kicked in the face, and then shot in the face.

if i had to order them i guess
FF6>FF9>FF10>FF12>FF7=FF4>FF8

havent played FF2, 3 or 5 and its been so long since i played 1 that i dont remember a damn thing.
Val
Uguu~
Uguu~

Post by Val » Fri May 15, 2009 12:38 pm

For me it should be... *ponders a looonnng time*

FF7 >= FF6 >= FF8 >= FF10 > FF10-2 > FF12 > FF9 > older FFs
I've never played FF 4/5 though. And 11 is definitely not the same kind of game.

I fact I consider FF 6/7/8/10 as quite equally good games, loved them all. Then comes 10-2 which was... different, but surprisingly entertaining.

FF12, I didn't like the background, characters were quite bland and the system was... weird. But somehow it was still fun to play, despite the gambits making the whole combats far too easy. On the 2nd half of the game you don't even have to play yourself for most of the fights.

FF9, I just didn't like it but I don't know really why. Graphic style, game system, characters... none of them appealed me. Maybe it gets better after, but I've never played more than a few hours.

And for older FFs... I've played 1-2-3 when they were released on GBA/DS but coudn't finish them. After playing more recent RPG, it's kinda hard to get into one which has almost no story beside "get the crystals and save the world", nonexisting characters, and very basic system.
Talec
Dojikko
Dojikko

Post by Talec » Mon May 18, 2009 8:43 am

What I really liked in FFXII was the great world. Huge and with so many hidden secrets. The Aeons were all really amazing and the flair was astonishing.

However the story was weak and the characters this boring I've never seen in a FF, like a huge fail. The aeons, once tamed, were all useless.

The battlesystem could be little improved, but I liked it. Don't know how many hours got wasted with the loading from the map screen to the battlescreen. And I hate this randombattles. I want to see my enemies ahead of me.
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

Post by chaosprophet » Mon May 25, 2009 1:58 am

Playing Valkyria Chronicles right know... and it's awesome! XP
Val
Uguu~
Uguu~

Post by Val » Mon May 25, 2009 12:27 pm

I second that, it's really a great game :D
I'm currentl on the DLC missions that were recently released, they're cool too.
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Kinomoto Sakura
Wish: Fluency in Japanese

Post by Crisu » Mon May 25, 2009 7:15 pm

Persona 4~
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
Val
Uguu~
Uguu~

Post by Val » Mon May 25, 2009 7:41 pm

Damn good too, I just finished it a few days ago. I'll probably go for a new game+ one of these days, to try maxing Social Links that I couldn't finish on my first playthrough =P
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Wed May 27, 2009 4:39 am

Val wrote:I second that, it's really a great game :D
I'm currentl on the DLC missions that were recently released, they're cool too.
To get the DLC content I need to buy it on the Playstation Store?
Val
Uguu~
Uguu~

Post by Val » Wed May 27, 2009 2:21 pm

Yes, unfortunately it's not free :/

But they're nice additions imo. A two-part mission with Edy's squad, some missions on the Empire side centered around Selveria's past, and the Ex-hard mode, to make your skirmishes insanely hard °_°
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Wed May 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Lol, I don't mind paying a bit for some good extra content but the problem is how I will pay... here the PS3 is not officially released and to buy it with credit card would be a pain.
Blue Neko
Katana
Katana

Post by Blue Neko » Wed May 27, 2009 5:00 pm

Currently playing Crisis Core
Fate wrote:My progress: 24% done and there is a ton to do.
My Progress: 2% :bigsmile:

I rarely do missions, I only did the yuffie ones so far rofl

Didn't know how I could survive against genesis and angeal with that amount of missions done tho =/ probably a fluke XD
Val
Uguu~
Uguu~

Post by Val » Wed May 27, 2009 8:44 pm

Yeah fortunately, you don't have to do the missions to progress though the main story. Actually, doing them all kinda spoils the game, because the "epic" story fights become ridiculously easy if you've gained too many levels with side missions :/
chaosprophet wrote:Lol, I don't mind paying a bit for some good extra content but the problem is how I will pay... here the PS3 is not officially released and to buy it with credit card would be a pain.
Huh, sure if you don't have a valid credit card, this could be complicated. I know there are prepaid cards available for the US PSN, but I don't even know if the DLC was released here (I have a EU version of the game, so purchased DLC on the EU store).
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Thu May 28, 2009 5:56 am

Well it's still to early to think about DLC content... the game iself is pretty long... Chapter 7 took me a long time to finish (2~3 hours) but partialy because I was aiming for an A.
Val
Uguu~
Uguu~

Post by Val » Thu May 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Yeah, it takes a while to finish it.

Chapter 7...
SpoilerShow
Isn't it the one with Maximilian's giant tank ?
It was the first hard mission imo, took me a few tries as well. Damn canon which could one-shot your tank, + Selveria who goes for a slaughter at the end >.>
But I didn't aim for rank though. It may be the only think I don't like about this game, the ranking system only based on speed. No matter how well you played, if you killed every enemy or managed to avoid any casualty, you're only judged on the number of turns. It tends to make you rush toward the objective, and I don't like that :/