Visual novels

Everything else, off-topic. Share your thoughts on sports, news, politics, school, gardening, stamp collecting, etc...
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Visual novels

Post by Eater-of-All » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:54 am

Visual novels (VNs) are perhaps the third most prominent cousins of anime, with the first two being manga and light novels. Some of the famous animes that are adapted from AVGs include Air, Kanon, Clannad, ef, and Fate Stay Night, and conversely, there are animes that has succeeded in being turned into visual novels (e.g. Aria). AVGs make up most of Japan's PC game releases. /historylesson

Maybe because I rarely get exposed to video games (No PS2, no Gamecube, no XBox, NOT EVEN A GAMEBOY ADVANCED) and because I like cute girls, I'm largely attracted to visual novels. Although I haven't really played much (Symphonic Rain, some doujin, Narcissu, and Planetarian only), I've been actively researching about new titles and checking the news for any translation projects going on. Currently waiting patiently for the arrival of the official Clannad and Little Busters! complete translation, planning to try out Umineko, and hoping for my computer to fail less and run the Chinese True Tears properly. I tend to avoid eroge though, as seen from all the non-H titles mentioned above.

tl;dr: this is a general visual novel thread. Compare it with anime/manga/novels, talk about its approach at storytelling, anything.
-- P.S.: Please try and keep any spoilers (character developments, plot details, endings, etc.) in a marked tag so that people who haven't read the visual novel can still enjoy it in its fullest, thanks!
Last edited by Eater-of-All on Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpoilerShow
LazyCanuck
Chuunibyou
Chuunibyou
Melon Pan: 50

Re: Visual novels

Post by LazyCanuck » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:09 am

i have not actually played Any VNs yet but i do sorta plan on doing so for a few things some day

I'm mostly looking at Clannad Fate/ Stay night and EF to play someday.

I cant really think of any others
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar
Worships: Takamachi Nanoha
2017 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2017 Male Favorite: Emiya Kiritsugu
Wish: The past to not weigh me down

Post by Seishi » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:17 am

The only one I've played extensively is Utawarerumono, and that was pretty much an SRPG fused into a visual novel. Aside from that I have tried Clannad, Ever17, and Umineko no Naku Koro ni though that one is just a sound novel with no actual gameplay aspects.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
FNSNA
Season faery
Season faery

Post by FNSNA » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:28 am

Some VN that I played:
Fate Stay Night, Umineko, Kanon, several ones from here: http://at2006.haeleth.net/release.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [some are quite interesting, and most won't take more then one sitting] Tsukihime, Planetarian, and some other ones that I stopped playing...[Wanko is one of them]
Typically I try to find VN that is translated already to play, and http://at2006.haeleth.net/release.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seem to have a good list of games that is translated or being translated

For good storyline I would fully recommend Type-moon and Umineko [over Key any day]

Lastly, I used like to play some old school VN [are they even called VN?]
Two that I really liked:
Nocturnal Illusions
True Love
Mushi
Hunter
Hunter
Worships: Shana

Post by Mushi » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:43 am

I encourage anyone and everyone to try Planetarian whether or not you've ever seen a visual novel. It's actually what's called a "Kinetic Novel" as there is no "game play" whatsoever. It's just that... a short novel with pictures and sound that you read a few lines at a time. It is surprisingly engaging and emotionally touching. Even if you don't care to get the retail version, give the trial a... trial. :biggrin:

Another trial that is quite good, IMHO, for getting an idea of what these are like is Polyphonica (get the Win32 binary... that's everything, no patches, just run it). Beautiful artwork and the writing in the prologue is especially good. It's short... maybe an hour's worth (more or less depending on how fast you read). Non-ecchi, except for an underwear shot while a girl is changing into a uniform.

And then, if you want to see how Higurashi got it's start...

http://sonozakifutagotachi.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow the link for 'getting the game' and there's another link for the trial.

None of the above have any "game element." No options for choosing any paths. They are VISUAL NOVELS. Just a few suggestions from what little experience I have in these things.
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:

Post by Eater-of-All » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:50 am

LazyCanuck wrote:EF
There was once a translation project on for it by No Name Losers, but it was dropped pretty soon. Pity, since it has so much potential....

FNSNA wrote:Some VN that I played:
Fate Stay Night, Umineko, Kanon, several ones from here: http://at2006.haeleth.net/release.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [some are quite interesting, and most won't take more then one sitting] Tsukihime, Planetarian, and some other ones that I stopped playing...[Wanko is one of them]
Typically I try to find VN that is translated already to play, and http://at2006.haeleth.net/release.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seem to have a good list of games that is translated or being translated

For good storyline I would fully recommend Type-moon and Umineko [over Key any day]

Lastly, I used like to play some old school VN [are they even called VN?]
Two that I really liked:
Nocturnal Illusions
True Love
I never figured you'd be into visual novels, fellow Hong Konger :smile: . And I already basically got the gist of Fate Stay Night's excellence from all the praise I've heard. To be expected from the best selling PC game of 2004, over Clannad, hohoho. I'll have to refrain from playing eroges though; gotta keep my teenage mind as innocent as possible. :roll:

Umineko I will try eventually.

EDIT: @Mushi
Hell yeah, Planetarian was win. Period. :D
SpoilerShow
Corni
~Senior Member~
~Senior Member~
Badges:
Worships: Yoshino Sakura
Melon Pan: 15
2018 Female Favorite: Tenma Gabriel White
2018 Male Favorite: Kanzaki Hideri
2017 Female Favorite: Edna
2017 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
Wish: Wanna have daughters someday... Don't care blood or non blood... Maybe meet someone blonde and less than 140cm for marriage...

Post by Corni » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:04 am

Currently Playing:-
Fortune Arterial
Aozara no Mieru Oka

Finished:-
Snow Sakura
Yume Miku Kusuri
Kanon
Air
One
Moon
School days
Summer days
Little busters!
Tomoyo after~it's a wonderful life~
Nanatsuiro☆ drops pure!!
Planetarian
Toheart
Toheart2 xrated
Toheart2 anotherdays
Fate/stay night
Fate/hollow ataraxia
Memories off
Memories off 2nd
Memories off~sorekara~
True tears
Ever17
D.C.
D.C.II
D.C.P.K.
D.C.II Spring Celebration
D.C.P.C
Shuffle!
Tick Tack!!
Really!Really!
ef-the first tale.
ef-the latter tale.
H2o~footprints in the sand~
Root After and another
Family project
Akatsuki no Goei
Narcissu
Utawameruno
Happiness!!
Happiness Deluxe(PS2)
Happiness Reluck
Canvas
Canvas 2 ~Niji iro no sketch~ (my favourite)
Myself; Yourself(PS2)
All Higurashi VN
Umineko no naku koro ni
Akane iro ni Somaru no Saka
Koihime Musou
Kana Little sister
Princess Waltz
Clannad
Furu Furu Furumon
Hime Nochi Honey
Saya no Uta
Sumaga
Yotsunoha
Garden
Sora wo Tobu Mittsu No Houhou
Ojousama Kumikyoku
Clover Point
Shin Koihime Musou
Maple Colors
Little Busters EX

Plan to Play:-
Da Capo II Plus Communication
Akatsuki no Goei ~Principal Tachino Kyuujitsu~
Maple Colors 2
Supreme Candy ~Oudou Niha Oudou Taru Riyuu Garuundesu~
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai
Canvas 3 ~Potrait of the Shirogane~
Muv-Luv

lol... that i remember *keeping track all VN i play*
anyway i think i have more that i didnt put there...
mostly VN that lose when my computer broken a while ago...
Look up high into the beautiful sky, with a steady gaze. Lets commit this moment to our memories.
We will make the beautiful sky even brighter. I will embrace you and your wings.
I want to protect that radiance. It is what keeps me going.
#eramalaysiabaru
SpoilerShow
Quote from song lyric BEAUTIFUL SKY by Hikasa Yoko, Yukana, Shimoda Asami, Hanazawa Kana, Inoue Marina, Saito Chiwa, and Mimori Suzuko from Infinite Stratos 2 ED
Basaka
Translator
Translator
Badges:

Post by Basaka » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:19 am

... wow, that is... O.o

/me goes onto all 4's OTZ
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar
Worships: Takamachi Nanoha
2017 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2017 Male Favorite: Emiya Kiritsugu
Wish: The past to not weigh me down

Post by Seishi » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:19 am

I am not worthy...

orz
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Blacksmith_Tony
Beef bowl
Beef bowl

Post by Blacksmith_Tony » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:03 pm

FNSNA wrote:Lastly, I used like to play some old school VN [are they even called VN?]
Two that I really liked:
Nocturnal Illusions
True Love
I've played both of those, and they're pretty fun. I especially enjoyed True Love, although it's more of a dating sim game I guess.

My Japanese is rather..weak so I'm stuck with playing English translated VNs. My favourites of the ones I've played or am playing are:

Fate/stay night
Planetarian
True Remembrance
Chaos;Head
Utawarerumono
Edelweiss (Despite the horrible translation)
Kanon
Brass Restoration
Da Capo
Yune Miru Kusuri
Snow Sakura
Crescendo
True Love
Kana Little Sister
Princess Waltz
Moonshine
Figures of Happiness

I've also played a number of pretty bleh VNs such as Snow Drop and Love Potion.

Hopefully I'll get copies of Tears to Tiara and Little Busters EX (to give me a little more motivation to learn Japanese faster) soon, but they've been stuck in UK customs for the last 2 weeks.
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

Post by chaosprophet » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:37 pm

I'm a VN player too (but like Blacksmith_Tony I only play english translated ones... need to learn japanese XD). Currently playing Tears to Tiara.

Anyone here use a Visual Novel Database Account to keep track of the VNs they are playing, want to play and etc?
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Fate Testarossa
Melon Pan: 105
2018 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2018 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2017 Female Favorite: Fate Testarossa
2017 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
Wish: Perpetual joy for friends and family

Post by Fate » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:54 pm

I haven't played many VNs because they're so time-consuming and has so much text. (well, I guess they're called 'novels' for that reason)

I've played and beaten all 3 routes of Fate/Stay Night and do want the Fate/Hollow Ataraxia one to be translated.
ImageALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!Image
[url=irc://irc.rizon.net/Feitoism]#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net[/url]
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:

Post by Eater-of-All » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:41 pm

Wow veterans.

And it really does suck that English players are always confined to translated novels, which ends up as probably 1% of the total available. Famous ones such as ef or Cross†Channel gets a localization project that ended up dead.

chaosprophet wrote:Anyone here use a Visual Novel Database Account to keep track of the VNs they are playing, want to play and etc?
I do use vndb for much of my researching, but I haven't really played much so I didn't register. Maybe when summer comes and I get time to play some more.
SpoilerShow
Team Rocket Elite
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Bernkastel
Wish: dried plums to go with the tea.

Post by Team Rocket Elite » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:35 pm

I've only played a couple Visual Novels: One, Kanon, Clannad, Planetarian, Narcissu and the Phoenix Wright series. I've completed One, Planetarian, Narcissu and the Phoenix Wright games. I unlocked After Story in Clannad but decided to wait until the anime finished before finishing the game. I completed Mai's route and Nayuki's route in Kanon before deciding to wait for an English patch since not being able to read anything started to get to me. I got the English patch but I haven't got around to going back to Kanon yet. I'm looking forward to translations of Air, Tomoyo After, Little Busters and Rewrite. Right now I'm planning to start Ever17 but just haven't got to it.
A miracle that you believe in when you know it won't happen......... is hope.
Chiharu
Samurai
Samurai

Post by Chiharu » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:04 pm

I played planetarian last year and loved it. I don't think Umineko counts as it's a sound novel, but I'm caught up with that. Can't wait until episode 4 gets translated.

I've been meaning to find Little Busters too and to start playing VN's more, but we'll see how that goes. xD
Signature by Ichigo-Sora. | myanimelist.
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:25 pm

Fate wrote:I've played and beaten all 3 routes of Fate/Stay Night and do want the Fate/Hollow Ataraxia one to be translated.
I'm with you on this (as should be a lot of others too). Fate/Stay Night is too good! I need soome FSn fix...
Team Rocket Elite wrote:Right now I'm planning to start Ever17 but just haven't got to it.
Prepare to expend a lot of your time on it... but to be incredibly rewarded. Thata's one of the best VN I ever played only below FSn for me... it's a pity that the company which translated it stopped working with VN's.
FNSNA
Season faery
Season faery

Post by FNSNA » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:56 pm

FNSNA wrote:I never figured you'd be into visual novels, fellow Hong Konger :smile: . And I already basically got the gist of Fate Stay Night's excellence from all the praise I've heard. To be expected from the best selling PC game of 2004, over Clannad, hohoho. I'll have to refrain from playing eroges though; gotta keep my teenage mind as innocent as possible. :roll:
Well, I dont really game that much and I use the computer a lot, so...somehow I just ended up with playing some [ok, a bit VN]
and the old school VN /dating sims was actually what started my interest in VN
[though I'm not as passionate as uis >_>]
and ya, some eroges....some games out there just exist for the eroges, the storyline are ..... ^^;

Blacksmith_Tony wrote:
FNSNA wrote:Lastly, I used like to play some old school VN [are they even called VN?]
Two that I really liked:
Nocturnal Illusions
True Love
I've played both of those, and they're pretty fun. I especially enjoyed True Love, although it's more of a dating sim game I guess.

My Japanese is rather..weak so I'm stuck with playing English translated VNs. My favourites of the ones I've played or am playing are:

Yune Miru Kusuri
Snow Sakura
Crescendo
True Love
Kana Little Sister
Princess Waltz
Moonshine
Figures of Happiness
Old School VN (ok, dating sims) are also fun to play because of the unique feel to it:
My eroge in 8-bit ?!!!! [jkjk]

And same here, I would only try to play English translated games cuz my knowledge for Japanese is non-existent ^^; (though I'm tempted to play Kimi ga Nozomu Eien [sp?])

and
Yune Miru Kusuri
I'm interested in that, its already translated? I remember that the writer for this VN is going to help with Key's ReWrite

Lastly, Figures of Happiness, played that about few weeks before...so hard to get all the ending T_T need walk through
Blacksmith_Tony
Beef bowl
Beef bowl

Post by Blacksmith_Tony » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Yup, Yume (I misspelt it) Miru Kusuri has been translated. It was translated by Peach Princess (so an official translation), and there's even a download edition available finally, which is what I bought. I'd say it's certainly well worth playing.
chaosprophet wrote:I'm with you on this (as should be a lot of others too). Fate/Stay Night is too good! I need soome FSn fix...
For sure, the more Fate stuff the better! I've really been wanting to play Tsukihime as well, but I've heard it's almost impossible to find a copy, at least one at a reasonable price.
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Fate Testarossa
Melon Pan: 105
2018 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2018 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2017 Female Favorite: Fate Testarossa
2017 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
Wish: Perpetual joy for friends and family

Post by Fate » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:40 pm

I downloaded Tsukihime via IRC, it's just sitting here atm.
ImageALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!Image
[url=irc://irc.rizon.net/Feitoism]#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net[/url]
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:04 am

Blacksmith_Tony wrote:For sure, the more Fate stuff the better! I've really been wanting to play Tsukihime as well, but I've heard it's almost impossible to find a copy, at least one at a reasonable price.
There is a remake in production... if you want to buy it is better to wait to buy the remake... but it may take some time to be released.