Kyoto Animation dominance

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Kinomoto Sakura
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Fluency in Japanese

Kyoto Animation dominance

Post by Crisu » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Also known as KyoAni, this studio has quickly risen to popularity since Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu and its adaptations of visual novels by Key.

What continues to contribute to KyoAni's popularity?
  • Is it primarily the Key series?
  • Or does KyoAni writing staff have their own talents?
  • Is it their dedicated artwork and quality standards?
  • What about response time and frequency of releases? Since Haruhi in 2005, they've only taken a break for one season, I think.
Other questions:
  • Full Metal Panic! came before Haruhi, but did many people notice KyoAni back then?
  • Will KyoAni decline in the near future? Or at least just become "one of the rest" while other studios will emerge on top?
  • A lot of people have said, "I hate KyoAni characters." Is this a fair statement--to associate characters with the studio instead of the story?
  • What if Haruhi or CLANNAD were done by another studio? What if KyoAni did Shana? (and so on)
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar
Worships: Takamachi Nanoha
Wish: The past to not weigh me down

Re: Kyoto Animation dominance

Post by Seishi » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:45 pm

Interesting. I'll shoot off a few notes.

1. No, not until Clannad. I still believe Haruhi is the majority of it, but seeing Clannad's popularity makes me at least think about it.
2. No, Munto pretty much proved (or proves) that
3. Yes, they have great production values
4. They don't take on multiple products per season, but try to put a lot of work into one product, much like Studio SHAFT

5. Probably not. Was the FMP! series really that popular as it aired? I remember Fumoffu being the first time I saw the "Kyoto Animation" label.
6. No, there are still other Key adaptations to come, as well as Haruhi and FMP!. If they continue to troll their fanbase they might fall out of favour a bit...but not by much.
7. Absolutely not. Conversely, I consider myself a big fan of Kyoto Animation and I don't place the characters high just "because they are KyoAni".
8. Well...I would like all my artistically creative series to be animated by SHAFT, but that ain't gonna happen.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
FNSNA
Season faery
Season faery

Post by FNSNA » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:54 pm

1) For me yes, Air then Kanon then Clannad kinda pulled into KyoAni, Haruhi also gave a bit of push [but not as much]
2) Don't feel like it. Most of their famous series are a adoption of a visual novel or light novel (where both should be good plot at the start). But seeing how they really try to fit EVERYTHING into Clannad (making it go REALLY long), I sometimes do doubt their ability to condense stuff into something fitting into an anime. [funny thing is that this is a strength and weakness for the Clannad storyline, all related to the family theme, but with the first season not exploring the TomoyaXNagisa idea too enough]
3) The artwork is pleasing to the eyes.
4) Unlike other major studios, they like to release really few anime per season, hence making us feel that their anime is 'quality' (which to a extent it is) because of it having so few of them.

5) I know of KyoAni when I first watched Air [well, Haruhi and Kanon drilled their names into my brain] but no. I have not watch Full Metal Panic! (don't kill me)
6) Decline not too much, but most likely it will be with the other most popular studios as other booming anime comes up. (IMO)
7) I have to confess, while I sometimes do say something like this (out of anger because my supporting characters are overtaken by KyoAni ones DDD:) It is 100% fair. ...But...[rewrites it over and over]...I'm just bitter
8) Clannad...taking Toei's one as the basis, the story might be a bit more focused in one storyline then doing what the VN actually did, part that adds to the main storyline.
Haruhi by other studios? MORE GAR.
Shana with Kyoani? Think Kagami with sword.
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:36 am

For many people (read: impression I received from forum browsing), Air was the piece that opened their eyes to the existence known as KyoAni. Crisp animation, decent music, and heart-warming/wrenching scenes made KyoAni stood out at the time. Then Haruhi came along and knocked on the remaining unenlightened individuals' doors.

And since you're all doing it:

1). A fair share I suppose, but not all. I have a feeling if you go out there and ask about KyoAni, half of them will reply with a Key title, and half with Haruhi or Lucky Star. It's pretty much split in factions.
2). Eh, not really. Unless Munto does manage to shoot up exponentially in story-telling and execution, KyoAni's most prominent skill will remain in good adapting. They have a keen eye for what is good to adapt, and the ability to bring forth the merit, but they just can't do that out of thin air.
3). Indeed they produce good quality stuff. Their attention to animation details, smoothness, and artwork is also one of their virtues.
4). If time is a prerequisite for quality assurance, then they can have as much time they want. Well, not AS MUCH TIME AS THEY WANT but bah you know what I mean. Recently though, they're beginning to break some old customs by animating After Story and Munto and the Haruhi shorts simultaneously.
5). I can't really answer this, because I wasn't there at that time to witness the reactions. Kyoto Animation seems quite alien to many back then though, from what I've gathered.
6). I can see this happening, to be honest. If my perceptions still has some credit in them, I can swear that animation quality for other studios has gone up over the past years. The records (aka other anime fans) seems to indicate that KyoAni's animation quality has been pretty static, not improving much since Air. If this continues, the lead KyoAni established years ago will get diminished more and more....
7). Of course it's never fair to associate characters with studios instead of the story. At least, not the way biased people does it. This statement can actually to be justified (with difficulty and by generalization), if most characters said studio does IS actually hateable. But I digress, that was just semantics.
8). Because I believe Haruhi and Clannad are already good enough as is, having another studio do it instead will likely be detrimental to its quality (but I wonder what happens if Shaft animated Lucky Star o.o ). But for Shana, I'll gladly accept Kyoto Animation animating it. Hopefully it'll come out with less season cliff-hangers, messed up drama, and slow progress. :D
Last edited by Eater-of-All on Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpoilerShow
Corni
~Senior Member~
~Senior Member~
Badges:
Worships: Yoshino Sakura
Melon Pan: 15
2020 Female Favorite: Furuhashi Fumino
2020 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
2019 Female Favorite: Hirasawa Yui
2019 Male Favorite: Rimuru Tempest
2018 Female Favorite: Tenma Gabriel White
2018 Male Favorite: Kanzaki Hideri
Wish: Wanna have daughters someday... Don't care blood or non blood... Maybe meet someone blonde and less than 140cm for marriage...

Post by Corni » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:15 am

Interesting topic:-

1) Maybe they focus to Key and 4-koma... They trolling with FM and Haruhi fan so long... I think they not to used to bring Light Novel up yet even they can get many material from light novel now...

2) They good adapting storyline... Munto is good but not good like Kyoani anime before Munto... But they good at elaborate Lucky Star from just 4-koma to 24 episode anime is amazing... i waiting for K-ON and i hope they will doing good job like Lucky Star...

3) Their quality is pretty good... I like their animation but i like Synergy SP animation quality more... (Hayate no Gotoku and Zettai Karen Children)

4) They focus one anime per season... that maintain their quality perhaps... many studio take action like that (SHAFT and ZEXCS)

5) I know Kyoani when i watch FMP... i didnt care about anime studio that time but that first i heard Kyoani...

6) I dont know... But if they get some title that match popularity Haruhi and Lucky Star maybe they will stay at top... *Lucky Star is too damn popular...* Oh well some anime studio also improve greatly... But the different is at Haruhi and Lucky Star... They using different element like random episode and seiyuu live action that make popularity increase greatly... *personally Lucky Channel and Lucky Star Karaoke that increase Lucky Star popularity at Japan*... That show they creative to make their title more popular...

7) Oh well too popular also have disadvantages... Mostly that because anime tournament they said like that... not storyline...

8) Oh tricky question... but i like they made by Kyoani (Key and 4-koma) for Light Novel i prefer JC Staff... i think Kyoani bad at Light Novel adaption...
Anyway i want to see Kyoani adapt some manga too (not 4-koma)
Current top ten list August 2020:-
1) Yoshino Sakura (Da Capo) 2) Nikaidou Shinku (Irotoridori no Sekai) 3) Kagamigawa Chloe (Memories Off 6) 4) Tamura Yuri (Watamote) 5) Tsuruta Himeko (Saki) 6) Hibiki (Kancolle) 7) Kujikawa Rise (Persona 4) 8) Sheila Helman (Rance series) 9) Furuhashi Fumino (Bokuben) 10) Adolf Retia (Daiteitoku)
SpoilerShow
Kaito_Dash
Dojikko
Dojikko
Worships: Fate Testarossa

Post by Kaito_Dash » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:58 am

1. Not really, as you know there is Haruhi and Lucky Star.
2. Definitely no, KyoAni original works are not work at all.
3. Yes, apparently. It is what KyoAni really rely on.
4. No comment, but I'll conclude that their quality of artwork is the major contribution to their greatness, and "moeness" in terms of SaiMoe.

5. Skip.
6. Depend on how fast will they produce the next Haruhi (their greatest contributor). And as Seishi said, there are more Keys to come.
7. I cannot blame them to bias base on studio, but for myself, I love every KyoAni girl.
8. Interesting. I would like to see SHAFT produce Haruhi once. But if JC Staff produce Key's adaptations, they will just be humiliated. (I don't have something with JC Staff, they are good enough with Light novels, but not eroges). But if KyoAni makes Shana, it will be such attractive issue.
ImageImage
Fabrice
Mahou shoujo
Mahou shoujo

Post by Fabrice » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:25 am

Not Surprise, most of their Animes they made were all succesfull ,
im sure K-ON! aswell is going to be great.
Plus Kyoto animation are one of the best for making romance anime!
Basaka
Translator
Translator
Badges:

Post by Basaka » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:52 pm

FMP season 1 was Gonzo. Other seasons was Kyoani doing the main work with some collaboration.

Just fyi XD
raizoo
Familiar
Familiar

Post by raizoo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:08 am

1) SHnY started it and while Clannad probably did make them a little more known, I think Lucky Star is more popular and helps fuel the KyoAni > KeyAni popularity contest. Looking at hyped up K-On seems to be is already making me think ShnY + Lucky Star + K-On > Air + Kanon + Clannad. Okay, so I lied and already think that way.
2) I think Munto is lame, so this is a definite no.
3) People like QUALITY pretty things.
4) Being dedicated to one thing is good. Just look at what MadHouse does in a season and compare the titles to each other and you'll see what I'm talking about. Though, I guess it doesn't help if I'm a person who looks at the voices in a show instead of the studio doing it. muu5) Do most people even realize that GONZO did the first season? Lolno. Not like I've seen the show yet.
6) If they release more non-Key things or I guess whatever made CLANNAD so popular for a Key title with the mass of anime fans I don't know [Maybe because it had more humour in it? I don't know.], then maybe people will still go ga-ga for them in the future.
7) No, just no. That's as bad as me saying "I hate Kugyuu tsunderes." orz
8) ufotable. That is all.
- If KyoAni did Shana and made it not suck, I'd be down with that. I'm willing to bet Kugyuu wouldn't have voiced Shana, either, which would make things a lot more interesting.

So like, where's my Rewrite anime?
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:43 am

Can't have a Rewrite anime before you have a Rewrite VN. Though it does bring up the question....KyoAni or Studio DEEN?

And the difference (visually and in some style choices) between FMP! (GONZO) and FMP!? Fumoffu and TSR are rather distinct in places. The backgrounds are nicer in the later series, the fanservice is less random (I suppose), and Tessa is a lot prettier (but that is probably true for the entire cast). The CG work of later shows however is superior to GONZOs original work.

But other things are the same, since both are based on the same general source material, and the later ones have to have the same visual style as the original (just brighter and perhaps cleaner). The voice acting is the same. The humor is the same due to the source material. (Fumoffu is hysterical) And KyoAni was part of a team working on the later shows. They take most of the credit, or are given most of the credit since it seems to have gotten them noticed for AIR.
Space Opera
raizoo
Familiar
Familiar

Post by raizoo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:16 am

Mmm, if what you say about the difference between the first season and the rest are true....

.... I would have probably seen the difference, become curious, and then check to see if there were any differences in the staff/studio. I did that when I saw HiguKai. Kai was.... prettier. Then Rei had to come and ruin it.
ithekro wrote:Can't have a Rewrite anime before you have a Rewrite VN. Though it does bring up the question....KyoAni or Studio DEEN?
Well, yes, but it was more of a joke from a bitter fan who'd love to see Planetarian animated.

Depends on who'd make the story better for me. Or if Rewrite is lacking, though it shouldn't be because Ryukishi07 is awesome, I'd opt for the visually appealing KyoAni to sort of make up for it.
Corni
~Senior Member~
~Senior Member~
Badges:
Worships: Yoshino Sakura
Melon Pan: 15
2020 Female Favorite: Furuhashi Fumino
2020 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
2019 Female Favorite: Hirasawa Yui
2019 Male Favorite: Rimuru Tempest
2018 Female Favorite: Tenma Gabriel White
2018 Male Favorite: Kanzaki Hideri
Wish: Wanna have daughters someday... Don't care blood or non blood... Maybe meet someone blonde and less than 140cm for marriage...

Post by Corni » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:28 am

Before Rewrite give me Little Busters! first ^^
Current top ten list August 2020:-
1) Yoshino Sakura (Da Capo) 2) Nikaidou Shinku (Irotoridori no Sekai) 3) Kagamigawa Chloe (Memories Off 6) 4) Tamura Yuri (Watamote) 5) Tsuruta Himeko (Saki) 6) Hibiki (Kancolle) 7) Kujikawa Rise (Persona 4) 8) Sheila Helman (Rance series) 9) Furuhashi Fumino (Bokuben) 10) Adolf Retia (Daiteitoku)
SpoilerShow
Motoyama
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel
Worships: Yyk Saigyouji

Post by Motoyama » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:36 am

uis wrote:Before Rewrite give me Little Busters! first ^^
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Kinomoto Sakura
Wish: Fluency in Japanese

Post by Crisu » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:04 am

Before Little Busters! give me planetarian

:O

(like raizoo said)
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

Post by chaosprophet » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:10 am

And don't forget about Tomoyo after too!
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:31 pm

If(big if) the rumors of the 28 episode Haruhi are true, and they are following the Haruhi order with new episodes added in in the correct places...unless there is something I'm forgetting about, I don't expect the major shift in Yuki's fanbase until around Diamond 3. Though she might just get a general boost from new episodes along with Haruhi (who'll get the most boost early on) and Mikuru (who'll be remembered better). Though it is possible that I'm forgetting something important, the first bulk group of new episodes should effect ISML starting around Sapphire 9 (with one shown around Amethyst 6). That is, if they are doing the predicted pattern.
Space Opera
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:32 am

Updating on a realization for Saimoe 2009.

Would Saimoe allow the spin-offs of Haruhi count as seperate shows (because the characters and source material are different/parodies of the original) because they have a DVD release (estimated 24 episodes for Haruhi-chan and 12 for Nyoro~n-san)?

If so and the Haruhi airing now does have new content there will be a possible 7 KyoAni made shows in Saimoe this year.

Lucky Star OVA
Clannad After Story
"Munto TV and movie"
K-On!
Haruhi
Haruhi-chan
Nyoro~n-san

Depending on the numbers of entires, they should have a good chance of knocking each other out early...but the numbers could be rather large between these seven shows.
Space Opera
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:22 am

Did they ever count Shana-tan as a different character? If they didn't I dont think they would do the same with them...
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:30 am

Did Shana-tan get a seperate release from the Shana DVDs?
Space Opera
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:36 am

Now you got me :P.