Anime versus Manga

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Kinomoto Sakura
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Fluency in Japanese

Anime versus Manga

Post by Crisu » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Sometimes they go hand in hand. Other times, they're very different.

Sometimes, management or business play a role in the differences, like if an anime has to be rushed past the manga storyline. This leads to filler episodes or alternate endings. It's not always the mangaka's fault. Or should they not have sold the rights? Maybe money is important. Maybe there is too much pressure from the fans sometimes.

Also, what do you prefer? Watching anime or reading manga? For a particular series, would you want to read it before watching it? Or does watching it inspire you to read it?

Are you just looking for the artwork? Story differences? Better explanations? Usually the manga has more freedom in terms of content/censorship and time. Anime has about a 22-minute limit; manga seems to have a page limit depending on the serialization, but manga overall has better control in its pacing.

Is it an elitist thing? Are still images just more real? What do adding animation, music, and color do to a story that was originally in black and white?

Which do you spend more money on? Manga volumes are so much cheaper compared to anime DVDs. However anime downloads are more common than manga scanlations.
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar
Worships: Takamachi Nanoha
2017 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2017 Male Favorite: Emiya Kiritsugu
Wish: The past to not weigh me down

Re: Anime versus Manga

Post by Seishi » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:35 pm

Well, first off: if a manga, light novel, visual novel, etc is the original source material, then we have to fight against the inevitable adaptation decay. The impact of this differs with every studio, every anime. Personally, I like seeing modified stories in anime form for series I have read, provided they are done WELL.

I really like moving objects. Even more so, I am an auditory person. An manga full of action scenes will just not have the same impact an anime adaptation of it could. Conversely, slow and neatly drawn manga (primarily slice of life genre) will probably capture my affection more than an anime could.

It really sucks when animes have to do a gecko ending; unfortunately, this happens all too often and as such, I don't really see many satisfying conclusions to the shows I watch. Of course, one natural way to avoid this is to make the anime FIRST, something which Studio Gainax seems accustomed to doing.

I would much, much rather buy manga than read scanilations. As crazy as it may sound, "it's not on paper" is one of the biggest excuses I have for not reading certain series. With encoding technology seemingly improving (or so we think), watching fansubs isn't as annoying as it used to be. But...there's a whole other argument there about spoiled fanbases which I won't get into.

All in all, I prefer a good anime adaptation to good manga story.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Destiny
Osananajimi
Osananajimi

Post by Destiny » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:59 pm

First of all, cookies to you for linking to tvtropes.org (I love the site, must have wasted hours of my life on there).

I must say that I don't have a set preference for anime over manga or vice-versa. It depends on many things, adaptation, story, which I saw first, etc. I used to read much more manga a couple of years ago, and then check out the anime adaptation if there was one. Now that I'm in uni I read a lot less, because after classes I feel tired and it's easier to watch anime (haha, I don't have to turn pages).

I'm not one of those purists who scream "OMG it's not like in the manga! die!" all the time, but typically I'll favor the manga because it's the "original" story, as its creator had planned it to go. There are some cases where I found the anime to be superior. For example, I'll always hold that Emma's true conclusion was the anime one.
In other cases, like Aria, I'll enjoy both equally. They kind of complete each other, the manga because of its detailed drawings and the anime because of the color and music. In this case the story is not important, so I don't mind how they changed things.

I rarely pick up the manga after watching the anime because I've found that knowing the end takes away most of the fun from reading, unless I find that the anime is very different from the original version, full of filler and such. My sister tells me that Kuroshitsuji falls into this category, though I have only watched the anime so far.
About manga, they are relatively cheap here and I'm following regularly half a dozen series or so. I wouldn't consider buying the DVDs anyway because I never rewatch a series (or almost - I have watched Haruhi twice) but I enjoy having the volumes around so I can flip through them looking for my favorite scenes. That's something you can't do with scans.
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Fate Testarossa
Melon Pan: 105
2019 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2019 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2018 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2018 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2017 Female Favorite: Fate Testarossa
2017 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
Wish: Perpetual joy for friends and family

Post by Fate » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:54 am

The manga is usually better than the anime counterpart imo. (exceptions are MSLN, Code Geass, etc.)
I watch anime and read manga. However, I prefer anime because of the OP + ED songs that are included within the episodes and I find those to be truly compelling because: 1.) they play a huge role in shaping my final opinion of the show and 2.) the music augments my liking to it overall.
ImageALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!Image
[url=irc://irc.rizon.net/Feitoism]#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net[/url]
Corni
~Senior Member~
~Senior Member~
Badges:
Worships: Yoshino Sakura
Melon Pan: 15
2018 Female Favorite: Tenma Gabriel White
2018 Male Favorite: Kanzaki Hideri
2017 Female Favorite: Edna
2017 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
Wish: Wanna have daughters someday... Don't care blood or non blood... Maybe meet someone blonde and less than 140cm for marriage...

Post by Corni » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:21 am

Usually original source material better than their adaption...

But for me i prefer manga than anime because i love reading...
I like read light novel and visual novel too... *maybe that reason i prefer manga because for me VN = RPG game >>>>>>> all...*
Look up high into the beautiful sky, with a steady gaze. Lets commit this moment to our memories.
We will make the beautiful sky even brighter. I will embrace you and your wings.
I want to protect that radiance. It is what keeps me going.
#eramalaysiabaru
SpoilerShow
Quote from song lyric BEAUTIFUL SKY by Hikasa Yoko, Yukana, Shimoda Asami, Hanazawa Kana, Inoue Marina, Saito Chiwa, and Mimori Suzuko from Infinite Stratos 2 ED
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

Post by chaosprophet » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:55 am

I usually like more the manga version than the anime as I have a preference in reading over watching something (even so it's nice to have an anime of a manga series you like to see the chsa. But in some cases the anime is better like when the anime is the original source (in those cases the manga of it are usually side stories and have an art quality inferior to the anime) or when the manga is a 4-koma (4-koma can be fun and interesting but the plot and characters can shine much more in a less episodic storyline IMO).But I still like when a manga I know is animated. It's nice to see the characters you like moving, talking and in full colors.
Seishi wrote:It really sucks when animes have to do a gecko ending; unfortunately, this happens all too often and as such, I don't really see many satisfying conclusions to the shows I watch.
The problem is not only that gecko endings are usually bad but simply because they are a definite ending while the manga still continues. That, by itself, can make the anime adaptation worse than the manga. An example that comes to my mind is Bamboo Blade. I watched the anime first and liked it a lot and IMO the conclusion was done well. After I started reading the manga I still liked the anime more (it was very well adapted and I liked the art in the anime more than the manga). But now the available translated chapters got to the last part that was animated and now new content is being translated. Eventually I may like the manga more because it's story surpasses the anime one (there seem to be at least 4 volumes already released of the manga that are non animated content) even if I think that it's quality is inferior than the anime.

I spend almost nothing in anime dvds. I only see bootlegs available to buy here and to import an anime dvd would be too expensive (here we have to pay around 90% over the item price + the shipping prince of taxes). But I spend a good amount on mangas. Here we have a nice selection of mangas translated and for a reasonable prince and it's easier to import (here you don't pay import taxes when importing books) one or another series that is not released and is unlikely to be released here. And like some have said there is a special felling when you are holding the manga that you don't have when reading from a screen.
Destiny wrote:First of all, cookies to you for linking to tvtropes.org (I love the site, must have wasted hours of my life on there).
Those link just made me waste a couple more of hours on that site! It's addictiviness is admirable.
Motoyama
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel
Worships: Yyk Saigyouji

Post by Motoyama » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:11 am

Seishi wrote:I really like moving objects. Even more so, I am an auditory person. An manga full of action scenes will just not have the same impact an anime adaptation of it could. Conversely, slow and neatly drawn manga (primarily slice of life genre) will probably capture my affection more than an anime could.
^Said Everything i was going to =/
But it really depends on my Mood/Feeling. But i Watch Anime More than i Read.
i Spend around the same amount on Anime and Manga
Basaka
Translator
Translator
Badges:

Post by Basaka » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:08 am

I like both. but I hate reading digitally. So I end up buying them. Usually I watch the anime first, and decide to buy it. Since I only buy them in Taiwan...

Yeah. I kinda stopped reading manga online since I liek paper reading better, orz
Xellos
Bard
Bard
Melon Pan: 0

Post by Xellos » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:17 pm

My rule is to watch the anime first before the source material. Generally, I see a lot of disappointment when the order is reversed. That isn't to say that there are excellent adaptations of manga, light novels, etc. Some examples that stand out in my mind include Haruhi, Toradora, and Crest of the Stars. The thing is that when presented with the written word, people (at least myself) tend to visualize it in their mind. That, along with the overall quality of the original material and the difficulty of compressing a voluminous work into X number of episodes, creates an expectation that is often difficult to meet in the visual adaptation. Of course, just poorly executed series, the aforementioned adaption decay, never helps either (I'm looking at you Negima anime). With adapting writte media, the devil is in the details.

In spite of my rule, I am fairly open minded when it comes to interpretation. I could never understand the raging of certain Toradora enthuisiasts who gnash their teeth over every detail omitted by the anime. It's truly disappointing to miss the sun because of a few clouds. A decently done, not even perfect, adaptation should give a measure of enjoyment because it gives that extra dimension of visual stimuli. There's something that words and imagination cannot capture compared to brilliant coloring, velvet smooth animation, sparkling effects, and general execution of a scene. What one sees can inspire primal emotion that may be difficult to replicate from what one reads. Indeed there are certain anime that add a lot more flavor due to the myriad of visual nuances that can be employed (Shaft adapations of Hidamari and Mariaholic jump out at me as examples of this).

I can't say that I prefer one medium to the other. Each has their own positives and when both are done well, they compliment each other. I just like to sit back and enjoy the ride as much as possible.
Ustnap
Cardcaptor
Cardcaptor

Post by Ustnap » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:59 am

I like both, and prefer neither one over the other. I like anime because you get to see all these characters interacting and their little querks, as well as nice action scenes. Add to it the voice talent and the music and it's usually a pretty good experience. I like manga because they usually take the time to dive in deeper and develop characters more. I basically am new to manga, though I enjoy it just as much as anime which I've wasted a good deal of my life on already.
Meimi132
Bard
Bard

Post by Meimi132 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:31 am

I love both, but going by quality of story, depth of plot, and usually art aswell, manga. It's better value for money too. (If you buy it.....)
Minatsu
Ninja
Ninja
Melon Pan: 0

Post by Minatsu » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:48 pm

Well, I like both. But I like manga more in a more general basis. There are a few special exceptions that the anime is better than the manga. It really depends on the key elements, you know?

I don't like watching/reading anime/manga on the Internet. I buy them and so, I own more manga than anime. ^_^;; I like creating a mental image of the characters of the story in my mind along with the pictures the artist supplies us with. Plus, information doesn't go by so fast if it's a manga. @[email protected];; I tried watching Death Note but I ended up just reading it because they crammed so much information into an episode sometimes.

But I love watching animes. Music, voices, expressions, motion... It's lovely.
Fabrice
Mahou shoujo
Mahou shoujo

Post by Fabrice » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:38 am

When im in school and have free time, i read manga
When im Home, ANIME!
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:48 pm

Ustnap wrote:I like both, and prefer neither one over the other. I like anime because you get to see all these characters interacting and their little querks, as well as nice action scenes. Add to it the voice talent and the music and it's usually a pretty good experience. I like manga because they usually take the time to dive in deeper and develop characters more.
Same situation, usually I use the anime to tell if I'm interested enough in a series to search for the manga online and then decide if I'm interested in picking up the manga. and the scans are usually further along in a continuing series, so I don't have to wait for the official translators to work with it and get it on the shelves.
Manga in hard-copy is also easier to take with you on-the-go, so if I'm not going to be near a computer, I usually end up taking a manga along to fill time.
Jamie AB is open for business. How would you like your hare-brained scheme?
Confusing statements are fun :p
Medaka Kurokami wrote:People aren't meant to protect the rules, rules are meant to protect people
(*'////'*)
SpoilerShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae27 ... nner-1.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/img]

ImageImage
*Puts Nagi behind the drums and Hinagiku at the front with the mike and a guitar*
Banners made by Midnight Jasper & Marinara
Kordosa wrote:I can just imagine all of the Hinagiku facepalming moments. That alone is worth it.
HnG chapter 333 pg 9 wrote:She (Hinagiku) realized an incredibly obvious but oft overlooked point: One had to read the manga before they could give their judgment of it.
ithekro wrote:Remember you aren't allowed to use your powers for evil.
With great power comes great responsibility
Absolute power corrupts absolutely
Tomoya Okazaki wrote:Can I beat you until you're motionless?
MegaTokyo wrote:Some of us are just a little more screwed up than others.
Saber (maglor) wrote:It is not how much, but it is where the king spends that tells what kind of king he is.
Rito wrote:Men don't decide whether they like someone or not based solely on breast size.
Kordosa wrote:Boy, I really need to learn to keep my questions to myself. It only makes things worse.
The lunatics around you are once again doing something to lower your opinion of human intelligence. ~Face Palm
Your sense of time tells you how much of your life has been wasted because you didn't take us at our word. ~Cracked.com
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Azu-nyan, Hina-chan, Aoyama-chan and Subaru-nyan-chan
Dusk252
Dryad
Dryad
Worships: Akemi Homura
Wish: to fix my messed-up life.

Post by Dusk252 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:54 pm

I don't think I prefer one over the other. I love the animated action scenes and the BGM adds a lot to the anime but I also like to be able to stare at the pages of a manga volume and just admire the artwork for a long time. However, I watch more anime than I read manga because I absolutely hate reading scans and while anime costs me nothing (I obviously download everything), I buy everything I read. So, the money is an important variable in this case. Because of that, I usually start reading manga of shows that I liked since I'm not gonna waste my money on unknown material that I may not enjoy.

As for one being better than the other... Well, the source material is, most of the times, better than its adaptation. Even so, if the adaptation portrayed the characters and situations faithfully it would have the potential be better. The problem is that while some anime do follow the manga perfectly and are absolutely amazing, they mess it up with the ending. I know this is obvious and was already referred in here but it totally pisses me off when, without even having read the manga, I can understand exactly when the anime deviates from it. A great example of this is Pandora Hearts. I absolutely loved everything about it. The story, the music, the characters - everything. And then the ending made no sense. I really don't mind an anime original ending. I know it's a necessity sometimes. However, sometimes it seems like the production staff didn't even think about the ending they were making. It's frustrating and disappointing when you follow a story, you get amazed and curious about the mysteries just to see everything never get a proper conclusion...
amehybrid
Pokémon trainer
Pokémon trainer
Wish: RL Charlotte as GF.

Post by amehybrid » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:14 am

Most of the time I like anime more than manga but there are a few cases:

One Piece
Manga > Anime
I started One Piece by reading the manga. I enjoyed it alot and there are hints on the title pages of every release. After much reading I decided to watch the anime but I found the anime dragging. The fight scenes were too long and found it boring compared to the manga. Maybe all that drama they put in the anime slowed it too much.

Naruto
Manga > Anime
I hate fillers so I'll go with manga.

I did say I like anime more than manga. I find this best in Gintama. The comedy behind it is best delivered in anime with their great seiyuus, good editing and music placement. Its like the anime extended the reach of possible spoofs and crazy antics impossible for the manga. Heck I even remember Otae climb up the TV screen to kill Sorachi.

EDIT: It seems some arcs I thought to be fillers are actually in the manga.
Last edited by amehybrid on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shiraoky
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: the rwby ladies <3
Wish: more time to laze around and have fun!

Post by shiraoky » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:05 am

I usually like anime more than the manga, but that is usually because I watch the anime first, not read the manga. Plus, I guess I prefer to just watch things in motion without me having to constantly click for the next page xD But there are some manga (which are not anime) that I enjoy, and there are some cases in which the anime totally messes up the manga :P The manga usually has more originality to it, so people can usually get mad with the anime if they see that they've totally messed up the manga with the anime. However, overall I guess I'd say I enjoy anime better, but manga isn't too far behind at all. Plus, there are a lot more manga than there are anime (I presume) considering a lot of anime are from manga, and a lot of different mangas arent made into anime.
Thanks to M-J for the beautiful sigs<3~!
Wolfnagi
Necromancer
Necromancer
Worships: Sanzen'in Nagi
Wish: Want Nagi to win this year ISML....
And 1 Million bucks....

Post by Wolfnagi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:25 am

I usually like anime better, mainly because I'm sometimes lazy to read.
But IF I do read manga/Light Novel/Visual Novel/etc., I spent countless hours of reading it.

So yeah, I usually watch the anime and ONLY read the manga if the anime is good and satisfiable xD
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ilkaid
Paladin
Paladin
Worships: Furude Hanyū
Wish: More free time

Post by ilkaid » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:33 pm

I generally find Manga better than Anime and this is simply down to I really enjoy reading, that is not to say all Manga > Anime, if the Anime came out before the Manga (because its a visual novel/light novel adaptation or was produced as an Anime first) in most of these cases the Anime is superior.

As far as filler episodes go I have found that the associating the word filler with episodes makes them seem worse for instance, I watched the massive chunk of Naruto fillers and enjoyed them, when I read the manga and subsequently rewatched these same fillers I found them less enjoyable.

If I enjoyed watching a show I will seek out its manga/light novel/visual novel and read it/play it through. However the same also applies in reverse.

As far as spending money goes I have a rule if I have read a scanlation or downloaded a fansub and the volumes or DVDs become available in English I will always purchase them, it doesn't matter whether or not I enjoyed the read (K-on!) or liked the show (Death note) I still will purchase them. Yes this mindset costs me alot of money, but I do not mind as sometimes reading the actual volume instead of the scanlations means I end up liking the end product (Lucky star 4-koma is a good example of this).
HeartClover
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Worships: Audrey Hepburn
Wish: adventure

Post by HeartClover » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:55 am

either is good for me. but the original adaption is best.

ex. shugo chara!
Thanks to my lovely Emjayfor the sig~