How long have you been into anime?

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Basaka
Translator
Translator
Badges:
Melon Pan: 50

How long have you been into anime?

Post by Basaka » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:11 am

Well, a lot of us seems to have a wide range of favourite shows and a long history of watching them. So I'm prety interested in knowing how everyong got into anime.

For me, I actually haven't been in this business too long.

Basically, I can break it down into 3-4 bits...

1: Toddler (before 6)
Watched children's anime on TV. Totoro every day, and Doraemon. Hahaha.

2: Child (till ~14)
4Kids dubs on TV is coal.
When I went back to Taiwan I watched dubbed shows there that was coaler than 4kids.
Some shows: Flame of Recca, Akazukin Cha-cha, Cyborg Kuro-chan etc.

3: Recent (till now)
early 05: First properly subbed show. Gundam SEED (I know, lol.) and DESTINY (double lol). Liked it a lot. Not anymore now.
Really, I didn't watch much shows back in 05. Also watched Chobits, think that was about it. Rest of time was avoiding Naruto...

06: A few more shows since internet bandwith went up (from 1GB per month), but computer still failed so not much shows DL'd. Main shows: Original Gundam, Chrono Crusade (think I watched Haruhi too)

07 - early 08: new computer so more following. DL'd more shows. Spent summer holidays working and watching. Watched epic stuff like TTGL, Higurashi, more gundam, Eva and less epic stuff like Airantou and Kaze no Stigma.

08: Beginnings of anime fandom. Started following spring shows... and watched a lot more shows like Macross. Began to notice VA's more. Exponential growth in fandom. XD

End 08: Epic Taiwan trip. Concerts, merchandise... etc...
Became ARIA fag.

Yeah, so I actually only really started watching a lot about 1.5 years ago. Still a lot of shows I must watch~
Ashita no Anime, massugu, go!
LazyCanuck
Chuunibyou
Chuunibyou

Re: How long have you been into anime?

Post by LazyCanuck » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:09 am

i started watching anime full out started April of last year (2008 >_>) so almost a year now \o/

i dont really count dragonball Z or pokemon since i didnt know they were animes i was just being a typical kid on saterday watching my "cartoons" orz
kurpi
Pokémon master
Pokémon master
Badges:

Post by kurpi » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:54 pm

I watched DBZ as a kid and all that stuff.

Whenever Kazaa was popular though, I started downloading anime off that. Bunch of subbed crap like Rurouni Kenshin and Love Hina. Those were the days.
Chiharu
Samurai
Samurai

Post by Chiharu » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:08 pm

When I was 9 or 10 I started watching Sailor Moon and Pokemon, but I don't really think I knew they were anime until I was around 12. I watched Toonami all the time, but then they changed it a few years ago so yeah. =/

I guess after that I went on an "anime hiatus" and didn't start watching again until last year or the year before.

I just miss the old Toonami. Midnight Run and Rising Sun ftw.
Signature by Ichigo-Sora. | myanimelist.
Cecaniah
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Cecaniah » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:11 pm

I've been into anime all my life, but I didn't know until a few years ago. Maybe 4 or 5, but I'm not sure.
Signature by Me.
Ikaros is <3~! Please support her in ISML with nominations and votes~!
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:51 pm

If you guys count dubbed anime on American television then 95% of everyone around our age watched anime at an early age, because we all know what DBZ, Pokémon, Sailor Moon, or the like. That's why I'm counting dubbed anime.

If so, then it would be during/after my final year of High School, which is 2006. Nevertheless, I didn't start with 2006 anime, but with Naruto and Bleach of course...what else? I followed up with more "older" series such as Elfen Lied, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Love Hina. Among those is still one of favorite anime of all time.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Fate Testarossa
Melon Pan: 105
2020 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2020 Male Favorite: Hei
2019 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2019 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2018 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2018 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
Wish: Perpetual joy for friends and family

Post by Fate » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:22 pm

I pretty much started with the Sailor Moon/DBZ/Digimon/Yu-Gi-Oh! way back then like the majority. I'm with Chiharu, I used to follow Toonami all the time. Then back in '05, I was introduced to Love Hina (my first show that I considered to be 'anime' I guess) And I recently got back into it in late 2006, not too sure.
ImageALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!Image
[url=irc://irc.rizon.net/Feitoism]#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net[/url]
raizoo
Familiar
Familiar

Post by raizoo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:24 pm

I wouldn't exactly count stuff I've seen as a kid since I just thought cartoons were cartoons. I thought Gundam was cooler than Sailor Moon, though I might still feel the same about that....

I used to watch anime on and off as something to do. Bleach, Naruto, Elfen Lied, Wolf's Rain, Rozen Maiden, Ouran High School Host Club, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (ry, all on various friends' recommendations.

I've probably only really been into anime for a year and a half, though. All started when a friend told me to watch Mai-Hime because she and some other guy I knew cried watching it. I used to marathon a series a day if it was twenty-six-ish episodes or less after that.

.... and since no one I talked to at the time* was heavily into anime and I didn't browse those types of forums, I picked out a lot of series by "I like this person's voice. I wonder what else they're in!" as I glanced at the synopsis for the shows to see if it was interesting. So yeah, that would probably explain my "seiyuu fagging".

*Most of the people I knew that were into anime were BL fags, so their opinion doesn't count for me. OTL
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar
Worships: Takamachi Nanoha
Wish: The past to not weigh me down

Post by Seishi » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:09 pm

Seriously into anime? Since about 2004, but I grew up as an avid Sailor Moon fan in the 90's; I wouldn't really count that because it's like the same thing raizoo said. My watching density really fluctuates from season to season now. If I had some kind of steady rate I'd be well over a hundred days (according to MAL).

I never had Toonami stuff because lolCanada, but YTV did have a few shows back in the day. Ironically, I talk and think about anime now more than I ever did, yet I watch less than I ever have since I first entered the fandom...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Marinara
Artisan
Artisan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Horo, the Wise Wolf
Wish: Bottomless ramen

Post by Marinara » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:19 pm

Mmm, I haven't actually been watching anime that long. It was always looked down on by my friends growing up, so I sortof avoided it.
I noticed that I was interested when I caught myself watching Digimon/Pokemon sporadically in high school.
My first year of college, a new friend forced me to sit down and watch Spirited Away with him... and from then on, I was addicted. I've been a serious fan for about 4 1/2 years~
Marinara's Anime Blog: Anime B&B
Follow me on Twitter!
Basaka
Translator
Translator
Badges:

Post by Basaka » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:40 am

Wow, we sure have a good mix of old school and newer school anime lovers.

Funnily enough I never saw gundam in Taiwan. Maybe because I wasn't searching hard enough then? Since I just happened to watch whatever I liked on TV. >.>
Eater-of-All
Dragon slayer
Dragon slayer
Badges:
Melon Pan: 65

Post by Eater-of-All » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:44 am

I'm not going to mention the old cartoon days, for reasons explained by those above me.

So basically, I've been into anime for around 807.5 days, or ~2.2 years. My precision stems from my clear recollection of that day when I had just finished watching Kanon 2006 ep12 on Youtube, and to my horror, was not able to find ep13. So that was the day I first looked deeper into anime than just being cartoon, and found out the concept of ongoing animes, subs vs dubs and the like. That was the day Eater-of-All's inner anime fan was born. As I remember that ep13 came out a few days afterwards, I've later attributed the first day of my anime career to December 25th.

Therefore to me, Christmas Day isn't just the birth of Jesus Christ. /epicretelling

And from then on, like any other newborn anime fan, I began marathoning series. It also helps that I was still in 7th grade back then with a plethora of free time. As time passed however, I became more involved in reading forums and collecting news/intelligence, limiting my anime-watching into straining to follow 13 series a season (~1.8 ep/day).

EDIT: I also wanted to mention an important friend who led me into the world of anime, but I'd then have to make a 1000 word post musing about how I slowly witnessed his fall into the dark si... I mean 4chan.
SpoilerShow
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

Post by chaosprophet » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:22 am

From when I was around 6 years old up to 14 years old I watched some dubbed anime series in the TV but the amount of series that were dubbed was very small (usually only series that was very popular and that had at least 50 episodes) and aired here much later than they did on Japan. Even so I was able to watch a good amount of episodes as we had an episode each week day. Around the time I was 14 I lost interest in watching TV.

I slowly started to use more the internet and to lurk in some forums. I learned about fansubs and torrents. Around 2005 I restarted watching anime but would only watch a very small number of series a year (around 10). That number slowly raised in subsequents years.

Then in 2008 with the influence of saimoe from 2007 and ISML I raised the number of series I watched along the year. And since the last season of 2008 I've been watching around 15-20 series that are currently airing plus some old ones in between.
Corni
~Senior Member~
~Senior Member~
Badges:
Worships: Yoshino Sakura
Melon Pan: 15
2020 Female Favorite: Furuhashi Fumino
2020 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
2019 Female Favorite: Hirasawa Yui
2019 Male Favorite: Rimuru Tempest
2018 Female Favorite: Tenma Gabriel White
2018 Male Favorite: Kanzaki Hideri
Wish: Wanna have daughters someday... Don't care blood or non blood... Maybe meet someone blonde and less than 140cm for marriage...

Post by Corni » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:22 am

oh me...
like other people i starting watch anime around 5 years...

i watch all Malay dub anime from Dash! Yankuro,Sailormoon,Dragon Ball and etc...
but i am more manga reader than anime watcher...
i buy many malay translate weekly magazine manga and some translate manga tankouban...
and i leech internet just for visual novel and some jap song...

i seriously watching fansub in 2005 after i lost interest in TV... (still watch anime at TV)
but not to much maybe just 3-5 anime per season...

When 2007... i finish my school and really bored at that time...
i buy many anime DVD and watch 15+ anime per season...

Nowadays i watch 25+++ anime per season...
*why i watch too many lol...*
Current top ten list August 2020:-
1) Yoshino Sakura (Da Capo) 2) Nikaidou Shinku (Irotoridori no Sekai) 3) Kagamigawa Chloe (Memories Off 6) 4) Tamura Yuri (Watamote) 5) Tsuruta Himeko (Saki) 6) Hibiki (Kancolle) 7) Kujikawa Rise (Persona 4) 8) Sheila Helman (Rance series) 9) Furuhashi Fumino (Bokuben) 10) Adolf Retia (Daiteitoku)
SpoilerShow
Ustnap
Cardcaptor
Cardcaptor

Post by Ustnap » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:59 am

Wow.. well, I started watching like a lot of people with Dragonball, DBZ, Sailor Moon, CCS and the like on American television. I remember watching a bunch before I'd head off to school, I'd always miss the last couple minutes of Sailor Moon because that's when my bus came to pick us up. Of course, I didn't really watch it because it was anime, nor was I probably even aware of it being anime either. After that initial burst, there was a large period of time where I didn't really watch that much anime, except a few things like Inuyasha which I saw so many times, but in fragments each time, and other things like Full Metal Alchemist, some of GitS, and other shows that aired on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim.

I didn't really get seriously into anime until probably two or so years ago. A friend of mine had some anime on his hard drive and I just took it from him on a whim (It was Love Hina, which wasn't the greatest, but still) . After I finished that, I went out to find something else to watch, also partially to get something I could give to my friend as a sort of thanks for letting me have the anime. That just kind of exploded into today's situation with now two 1 TB hard drives very full of anime (About half of which I have yet to watch still <.<). Now I'm the anime supplier of sorts for my friends that watch.
Destiny
Osananajimi
Osananajimi

Post by Destiny » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:54 pm

I used to watch the afternoon cartoons every day ever since kindergarten. I watched practically everything aired here in the 90s, from the classic Dragon Ball and Pokemon to shoujo.
Among the boring series I managed to find a channel that aired interesting ones like Evangelion, which had quite an impact on me.

In 2002 (wow, was it that long ago?) I started watching One Piece. I had to spend two weeks abroad and to catch up with what was happening I decided to buy the manga. After comparing it with the anime adaptation I stopped watching tv completely, and for several years I just read manga.

I think it was in 2005 that I found out about online anime streaming. It was a revelation to watch episodes that hadn't been dubbed, censored or otherwise subjected to a new opening theme.
I recall the first complete series I watched was Peach Girl on YouTube (humor me, go on), while the first series I watched as it was aired in Japan was Host Club.
However it was only last winter that I started following multiple series at once. I blame MAL for this.
Blacksmith_Tony
Beef bowl
Beef bowl

Post by Blacksmith_Tony » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:16 pm

Not counting the various anime I saw late at night on BBC 2/Channel 4 (which never happens these days :(). I started seriously watching anime in late 2000 when I purchased some Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, and Queen Emeraldas on VHS.

For the first year or so, I only really watched things released in the UK (not much!). I think it must've been late 2001 when I started buying US imported VHS/DVDs and finding a few fansubs online via Streamload and other DDL type sites.

Since then I've watched a fair amount of anime, although not as much as some people. It's been rather varied, some years I watched a lot of anime, other years I didn't have much time or the inclination to do so.

I get the feeling this year will be one of the year I watch a lot :D.
Motoyama
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel
Worships: Yyk Saigyouji

Post by Motoyama » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:16 pm

Hmm... Around late 1990s Watched Pokemon, a bit of DBZ, and Digimon. Same old stuff that everyone watched when they were small.
Wasn't really into it, just watched it because i had nothing better to do.

Around 2004, watched a bit of Fullmetal Alchemist, and other random stuff.

Summer 2008 is pretty much when i got into Anime.
No Particular reason why i watch Anime =/
Xellos
Bard
Bard
Melon Pan: 0

Post by Xellos » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:02 am

I first got into anime with the US dub of Sailor Moon (lawl) back in high school. From there I watched the other shows that were offered on Toonami. Of course, the quality in dubs leaves something to be desired to I naturally found my way to subtitled shows. My first ones included SM, Fushigi Yuugi (no idea why I watched so many bishoujo shows at first), and Eva.

When I got into college, I started using P2P programs and thus began my first golden age of anime. This lasted for a few years, but my zeal died out during my senior year. Thus began a relative lull for a few years where I only watched stuff like Bleach and Naruto (lol). It wasn't until 1.5-2 years ago when I got back into anime seriously. ISML had a role in sparking my second anime revolution since I was determined to catch up on all the shows that were involved in ISML. Although my pace has slowed down, I still watch a few series at a time. I don't consider myself as crazy as some of the other ISML regulars though.
Meimi132
Bard
Bard

Post by Meimi132 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Since Pokemon... but I found out a bit later that Moomins was anime lol. So that was the first I saw. But Pokemon was the reason....followed by digimon, cardcaptors, beyblade... all those from the late 90's and early 00's. First manga I read was Tokyo Mew Mew, then CCSakura. From my cities best comic shop. Inu Yasha was an early read too, along with Akira ofc, that was from the library lol.