Toradora! ending thoughts

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Crisu
Wan Wan Wan
Wan Wan Wan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Kinomoto Sakura
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Fluency in Japanese

Toradora! ending thoughts

Post by Crisu » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:27 pm

Spoilers obviously. My post will be hidden in case you accidentally clicked this, but future replies might not necessarily be spoiler-protected.

If you made it this far, then you want to be here.
Toradora! last episode thoughtsShow
I'll start off by admitting having a huge crush on Taiga right now after that episode.

Blogs have gone in two directions, calling ep24 and 25 way rushed. Or one friend even called the whole series past the Christmas episode a bit too angsty and no longer moe. Well I don't know about the negative opinions; it doesn't seem SO unrealistic to me that I can't believe in the story anymore. I still enjoyed it.

Anyway, that was perhaps one of the best kiss scenes I've seen in a long while. It was shy and sweet and reflective of their relationship up to this point. They both wanted to but weren't sure how to start. And you have to remember they're both teenagers, so it doesn't take long to deepen it. I think it was animated really well, and the soft piano in the background made the emotional impact even better.

I'd want to have a moment like that with somebody someday.

Cute ending, too. Many called it Toradorable. "Suki da" indeed, Taiga.

For other characters, the resolution of Ami's feelings was so subtle and quick that I nearly missed it. But it's great for her, and I agree with others in that she really has become the adult she wanted to be. I remember hating her so much when she first appeared on the show, thinking she would just be "that character" to provide conflict. But she really has given the other characters some good insight most times.

Minori's feelings were resolved in ep24, I believe. And she's back to her old self in this episode, a lot wiser and more assertive than before. My, what a slap.

Okay, done. Gonna go rewatch some key scenes from that episode again. *swoon*
ImageImage
Signature by Hikari-chan
raizoo
Familiar
Familiar

Re: Toradora! ending thoughts

Post by raizoo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:24 pm

I nearly dropped my tea when Inko-chan said his own name. ;~;!

Even though some episodes did feel pretty rushed, ep25 definitely made up for how I didn't like ep24. And Yacchan is awesome and so is Tanaka Rie the teacher.

Yeah, the kiss was really well done, but now I'm going to wonder if I'd have to go on my tiptoes. I guess if the other person is taller than 172cm or so, I'd have to.... Bugger.
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Fate Testarossa
Melon Pan: 105
2019 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2019 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2018 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2018 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
Wish: Perpetual joy for friends and family

Post by Fate » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:30 pm

Good ending to a great series. The kissing scene was cute. I liked 'the dragon is the only beast that equals to the tiger' reference too.
ImageALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!Image
[url=irc://irc.rizon.net/Feitoism]#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net[/url]
Meimi132
Bard
Bard

Post by Meimi132 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:31 pm

Sadly I gave up on Toradora about 15 minutes into the first episodes... I probably will give it another go sometime... but I didn't like the guy one bit... disliked... And I'm not a big fan of tsundere either... probably why I still haven't seen Zero no Tsukaima... or Shakugan no Shana... I've got them ready though... for when I do... I'm about 6 episodes into each first series lol.
Cecaniah
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Cecaniah » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:35 pm

It was a really good ending. The last episode I felt wasn't right, as in the characters were all acting slightly out of character, it was also a little fast paced, as in the marriage thing came to quickly. But the series ended in a good way.

I'm happy with it.
Signature by Me.
Ikaros is <3~! Please support her in ISML with nominations and votes~!
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:

Post by Fate » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:32 pm

Meimi132 wrote:Sadly I gave up on Toradora about 15 minutes into the first episodes... I probably will give it another go sometime... but I didn't like the guy one bit... disliked... And I'm not a big fan of tsundere either... probably why I still haven't seen Zero no Tsukaima... or Shakugan no Shana... I've got them ready though... for when I do... I'm about 6 episodes into each first series lol.
You really should continue it. At first, I thought it would be a typical romance/comedy, but the development was paced really well. I highly enjoyed this show.
Smasher
Alchemist
Alchemist

Post by Smasher » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:54 pm

I must say that I understand what you mean Crisu, when you say you have a huge crush on Taiga now since I somehow feel the same.

Perfect ending, for me anyways. Taiga is so amazingly moe O_o I really loved the black school uniform Taiga was wearing in the last scene! Also that look Takasu had when he gazed into Taiga's eyes right after the last kiss... This is the kind of stuff that I love this show for!

Lots of great moments, I'm pretty sure I'm going to miss this show.

Anyways, some screencaps just for the heck of it:
SpoilerShow

Marinara
Artisan
Artisan
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Horo, the Wise Wolf
Wish: Bottomless ramen

Post by Marinara » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:03 am

^Great screen caps Smasher!
I too loved this last episode. While I agree that the episodes post Xmas episode felt a little rushed, I honestly did not mind. I think they did a wonderful job wrapping up everything at the end. I didn't expect things to go the way they did mid-way through the last episode, but I liked how they ended it. Taiga IS cute in that new school uniform! And yes, the kiss scene is a favorite... the hesitation, the asking for more...very well done!
kiss gifShow
Marinara's Anime Blog: Anime B&B
Follow me on Twitter!
Smasher
Alchemist
Alchemist

Post by Smasher » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:21 am

Marinara wrote:^Great screen caps Smasher!
I too loved this last episode. While I agree that the episodes post Xmas episode felt a little rushed, I honestly did not mind. I think they did a wonderful job wrapping up everything at the end. I didn't expect things to go the way they did mid-way through the last episode, but I liked how they ended it. Taiga IS cute in that new school uniform! And yes, the kiss scene is a favorite... the hesitation, the asking for more...very well done!
kiss gifShow
OMG, I love that .gif :love: I saved it if you don't mind ^^;

It all did feel a bit rushed but still it was done very nicely. I'm always happy to see a series that I like to get a good wrap and not being left with some crappy ass open ending. Would be great if we could get some OVA much later on with a few details on how they have been afterward, showing a marriage maybe even a kid X)
Motoyama
Sacred jewel
Sacred jewel
Worships: Yyk Saigyouji

Post by Motoyama » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:51 am

raizoo wrote:I nearly dropped my tea when Inko-chan said his own name. ;~;!

Even though some episodes did feel pretty rushed, ep25 definitely made up for how I didn't like ep24. And Yacchan is awesome and so is Tanaka Rie the teacher.

Yeah, the kiss was really well done, but now I'm going to wonder if I'd have to go on my tiptoes. I guess if the other person is taller than 172cm or so, I'd have to.... Bugger.
qft. Love Yacchan.
Smasher wrote:Perfect ending, for me anyways. Taiga is so amazingly moe O_o I really loved the black school uniform Taiga was wearing in the last scene! Also that look Takasu had when he gazed into Taiga's eyes right after the last kiss... This is the kind of stuff that I love this show for!
Really suprised by the black uniform. But i still love it. Sort of fast-paced in the last few episiodes =/.
Corni
~Senior Member~
~Senior Member~
Badges:
Worships: Yoshino Sakura
Melon Pan: 15
2020 Female Favorite: Furuhashi Fumino
2020 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
2019 Female Favorite: Hirasawa Yui
2019 Male Favorite: Rimuru Tempest
2018 Female Favorite: Tenma Gabriel White
2018 Male Favorite: Kanzaki Hideri
Wish: Wanna have daughters someday... Don't care blood or non blood... Maybe meet someone blonde and less than 140cm for marriage...

Post by Corni » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:21 am

Yeah definitely great ending...
It great J.C.Staff change the lame ending in novel to great ending in anime...

Different between novel ending and anime ending:-
SpoilerShow
Anime:-
-The setting for ending is when closing ceremony in third year...
-Taiga goes to new school...

Novel:-
-The setting for ending is when opening ceremony in third year...
-Taiga goes to old school for her third year...
-Taiga need babysitting her new little sister...
Anyway i lazy to spoil novel more... Anyway thanks JC Staff to give me such good anime...
Current top ten list August 2020:-
1) Yoshino Sakura (Da Capo) 2) Nikaidou Shinku (Irotoridori no Sekai) 3) Kagamigawa Chloe (Memories Off 6) 4) Tamura Yuri (Watamote) 5) Tsuruta Himeko (Saki) 6) Hibiki (Kancolle) 7) Kujikawa Rise (Persona 4) 8) Sheila Helman (Rance series) 9) Furuhashi Fumino (Bokuben) 10) Adolf Retia (Daiteitoku)
SpoilerShow
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:

Post by Fate » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:29 am

Ya, there should be more shows like this.
Xellos
Bard
Bard
Melon Pan: 0

Post by Xellos » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:01 am

raizoo wrote:Yeah, the kiss was really well done, but now I'm going to wonder if I'd have to go on my tiptoes. I guess if the other person is taller than 172cm or so, I'd have to.... Bugger.
You can't kiss 2D characters anyways.

Anyways, great ending for Toradora. I admit that I watched it a few times. I don't remember the last time I actually liked an ending as much as this one. The last scene was very cute and like I said before, Taiga has shot up a lot for me. Had to go watch the first episode after Teiran mentioned the connection...totally forgot about it. All in all, well done by JC Staff. They've atoned for their previous sins.
Last edited by Xellos on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

Post by chaosprophet » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:33 am

Well Toradora was always a bit rushed because of its pace (2 episodes for each novel volume with around three of them with three episodes) but it was amazing that with a such high pace they're were able to make this great of an anime!

One of the problems that many would have with ep 24 is the same that "plagued" the whole show.It was following very well the novel it was adaptating. But the novel usually worked like this: In each volume lot's of things would happen in the beginning that may fell strange and/or doesn't make sense but they would end up being explained only in the end of each volume. That's not a problem for the novel as each person can be only a few hours from getting to said ending when she have the free time. But on the anime after the first episode of each volume there is a wait of an week for it's conclusion that wrap up what happened in the episode before. Without knowing this people usually raged in some episodes only to understand it in the next.

Well I loved this episode. Was a great ending but I found it to be most unventful... but if a couple it with ep 24 then a make an awesome pair! I liked 24 so much that it was one of the only episodes of TD that I gave an 10 (and it's generated my longest post ever in AS... not that I post too much there :P).

It was sad that my favorite pairing didn't happen (MinorixRyuuji) but Taiga x Ryuuji have been obvious for some time and it was done very well so no problem with it.

Now there is the sad felling for the ending of a great show... even more when it's chance for a sequel is slim (at least in the near future) with the ending of the novels...
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:27 am

So here are my thoughts:

Rushed? No. I never got that feeling at all. What I felt was, "Hey, something happened!" Seriously, I'd rather Toradora be mostly comedy in the first half then drama in the latter half than another soap opera. I do not want another Suzuka or Bokura ga Ita where the characters spend 24-26 episodes in a love/hate relationship. If that is "normal" for you then so be it. But in my opinion, Toradora had one of the best pacing I've seen. Starting from episode 13, it gradually transitioned into a school drama while retaining some of its comedy. I've always said that the best drama should be one cours (~13 episodes). Well, Toradora is 2 cours but still presented believable drama, so that's a huge plus. In a way, I get to see more character development without the overly dramatic feeling that bogs down the plot.

Well see, that's the good part. The bad part was that even though it's a drama, it was mostly light drama, which means that it is somewhat episodic. I have a problem with episodic or semi-episodic anime, because they are largely hit or miss. That was the case with Toradora. Some people loved episode 17, but I did not. Toradora was for me 2-3 episodes of excellence then 1-2 episodes of average, but it never went below that. Overall, it was a nice watch and it kept my interest throughout without fail.

The thing I want to mention was that I did not love the first 12 episodes. Taiga did not appeal to me. I saw her as just another tsundere lead voiced by Rie Kugimiya. She was completely cliché without a unique personality. My rating for Toradora then was about 5-6 for the first maybe 7 episodes, because it was "just another romantic comedy series." I believe things started to get better when Ami appeared (even though I hated her). The episode where they went on vacation and wanted to scare Minori was the first time I said, "Wow, this might turn into a good series." After that, I simply fell in love with Toradora.

Now, it's time to actually talk about the last episode. In short, I believe that it is one of the best ending episodes ever. The kiss scene, like Crisu said, was one of the best I've seen--so innocent yet so romantic. Taiga's decision was sad but emotional in a way, plus it also made their reunion that much better. Also, that is probably one of the best confessions I've seen too. No wonder it took Taiga by surprise, because it took me by surprise. Crisu is also right in that Minorin's feelings were wrapped up beforehand, but I disagree that Ami's resolution was a bit too tame. In fact, everything is great about the last half of Toradora, and with a great ending, I loved it.

In conclusion, I like the fact that J.C. Staff crammed 10 novels into 25 episodes. Any more would become a drawn-out love/hate relationship, which I would hate. Having 25 episodes gave Toradora a very distinct comedy/drama flavor, not typical of the usual romantic comedy. I love how pretty much every main character was developed fully. Technically, the series almost perfect, but I just do not love it. To make an analogy I already did in IRC, Toradora for me is like appreciating the beauty/techniques of ice skating while personally not loving it. It is a great show, but only the last half was to my taste.

Final rating: 7/10
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

Post by chaosprophet » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:58 pm

KholdStare88 wrote:In conclusion, I like the fact that J.C. Staff crammed 10 novels into 25 episodes. Any more would become a drawn-out love/hate relationship, which I would hate.
While I think their ability to get only the most importants parts of the novel and still make a great show with it was remarkable there were a good number of interesting scenes that could have been more detailed or that have been cut so I would have liked that it had around 39 episodes. Have you tryed to read the novels KholdStare88?
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:

Post by Fate » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:10 pm

I like KS's review, n1.
Corni
~Senior Member~
~Senior Member~
Badges:
Worships: Yoshino Sakura
Melon Pan: 15
2020 Female Favorite: Furuhashi Fumino
2020 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
2019 Female Favorite: Hirasawa Yui
2019 Male Favorite: Rimuru Tempest
2018 Female Favorite: Tenma Gabriel White
2018 Male Favorite: Kanzaki Hideri
Wish: Wanna have daughters someday... Don't care blood or non blood... Maybe meet someone blonde and less than 140cm for marriage...

Post by Corni » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Yeah KS too serious lol...
but i like your review...

Like KS said i also like second half of story...
The first half quite bored and not my taste *except Minorin scene*

Second half also make me begin to love Ami...
Anyway great story and i give my rating 9/10...
Current top ten list August 2020:-
1) Yoshino Sakura (Da Capo) 2) Nikaidou Shinku (Irotoridori no Sekai) 3) Kagamigawa Chloe (Memories Off 6) 4) Tamura Yuri (Watamote) 5) Tsuruta Himeko (Saki) 6) Hibiki (Kancolle) 7) Kujikawa Rise (Persona 4) 8) Sheila Helman (Rance series) 9) Furuhashi Fumino (Bokuben) 10) Adolf Retia (Daiteitoku)
SpoilerShow
Basaka
Translator
Translator
Badges:

Post by Basaka » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:13 am

I was worried because they rushed way too much in 24. However, 25 was very solid, I reckon the pacing is nice and right to wind down from the last episode and still progress things.

This romcon is much realistic. More so then random boy meets girl spark lots of ecchi things happen they confess HAPPY END.
Val
Uguu~
Uguu~

Post by Val » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:58 pm

Very good ending to a great anime, probably one of my favorites started on 2008. Some unexpected twists (the whole marriage thing, Taiga running away o_o ) and perfect conclusion.
Well, i'm a little sad for Ami though.