Tsundere - Like, Dislike, Why?

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

Tsundere - Like, Dislike, Why?

Post by chaosprophet » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:38 am

So do you like Tsunderes and/or think they're are moe? (characters that have this trait but it doesn't need to be the character only trait) You don't? You like/dislike a specific kind of Tsudere? Why?

I certainly like Tsunderes (evident to who looks at my moe list). They usually are strong willed which is a characteristic that I admire. Some are actually very weak inside or can have some moments of weakness which is a likeable characteristic to me too (that's when they start to give you "protect me/help me" vibes). Their "violent" nature can be understandable as they having difficult to express they fellings (as long they are not too violent) which get some compassion from me. Their usual shy/unable to know what to say/embarassed reaction to those that show affection to them (whenever it's love or friendship) are very likeable and moe! Another plus is that they usually have a strong sweet and caring side to a few people that they think that deserve it and tend to be very loyal to these people.

Now I usually don't like tsunderes that are very violent but how violent they need to be to get my dislike depends on the setting and to who they're being violent. If the setting is more fighting oriented I may overlook more their violence (in a fantasy like setting I may not mind a level of violence that I would mind in a normal school setting). The nicer the character who the tsundere is being violent to and the less he deserve it at the time the less violence I will tolerate. So an example of Tsudere I really disliked was Taiga at the beginning of Toradora (but she totally redeemed herself later).

Now to give an example I would choose Tohsaka Rin that is IMO the best tsundere I know (and one of the most moe ones).She's very, and I mean really very, strong willed as you can see by many of her scenes especially in some scenes in the HF route of the VN. And she's actually very gentle (even if she doesn't show it) and caring even with people she doesn't know (but she's merciless with her enemies). You can see that in the prologue of the FSn of the VN's as you play with her POV. And she have some very moe moments. If anyone played the UBW route and are a Rin fan than you should remember of the scene where:
FSn UBW routeShow
When you have to decide if you would accept Lancer help and you have the choice to accept the temporary alliance as long he stays away from your Tohsaka! (points for Shirou) Her reaction was GOLD!! :love:
Last edited by chaosprophet on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talec
Dojikko
Dojikko

Re: Tsundere - Like, Dislike, Why?

Post by Talec » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:28 pm

hmm, the tsuneres I know are all dfc. The best Tsundere for me is Kagami. Kagami simple rocks.

It's not the short-tempered trait, but the moment when they're blushing and don't know what to say makes them lovely. <3

While Louise and Shana are something like full tsunderes, Kagamin has many more traits which makes her an all-rounder.

Conclusion: Tsundere is only a specific chara trait for me, and I don't distribute my sympathies because of this.
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:
Worships: Fate Testarossa
Melon Pan: 105
2020 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2020 Male Favorite: Hei
2019 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2019 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
2018 Female Favorite: Aisaka Taiga
2018 Male Favorite: Sakata Gintoki
Wish: Perpetual joy for friends and family

Post by Fate » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:08 pm

I don't like many tsunderes because they're too tsundere-ish.
Examples are Louise de la Valliére & Shana. They need to be more moderate ('deredere'?) like Nagi Sanzeni'n/Hinagiku Katsura/Taiga Aisaka.

Some other nice tsunderes: Ayano Kannagi from Kaze no Stigma, Eri Sawachika from School Rumble, Naru Narusegawa from Love Hina, can't think of others atm.

tl;dr
I don't find them 'moe,' but they're cute sometimes.
ImageALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!Image
[url=irc://irc.rizon.net/Feitoism]#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net[/url]
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:48 pm

Fate wrote:I don't like many tsunderes because they're too tsundere-ish.
Examples are Louise de la Valliére & Shana. They need to be more moderate ('deredere'?) like Nagi Sanzeni'n/Hinagiku Katsura/Taiga Aisaka.

Some other nice tsunderes: Ayano Kannagi from Kaze no Stigma, Eri Sawachika from School Rumble, Naru Narusegawa from Love Hina, can't think of others atm.
Unnn can't remember very well Shana interaction with Yuji but I only have Louise high in my list because of the novels. She develops her deredere side much more in it. And she's less violent (but Saito really deserves it sometimes). I don't know about Naru... she was extremely violent for a long time (just because Keitaro is invencible it doesn't makes what she does to him any less violent).
Fate wrote:tl;dr
I don't find them 'moe,' but they're cute sometimes.
Well the only moe char to you is Fate, right? And she's not a tsundere... do you find any of the characters traits that Fate have moe in other characters taht have them or the only moe characteristic to you is "Fate"? :lol:

Now that I think about it another thing I dislike is tsunderes that are violent with someone because that person was with paying more attention to another person when the tsudere herself never gave any hint that she likes the person.
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:

Post by Fate » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:56 pm

chaosprophet wrote:Well the only moe char to you is Fate, right? And she's not a tsundere... do you find any of the characters traits that Fate have moe in other characters taht have them or the only moe characteristic to you is "Fate"? :lol:

Now that I think about it another thing I dislike is tsunderes that are violent with someone because that person was with paying more attention to another person when the tsudere herself never gave any hint that she likes the person.
Fate is the only one I deem moe. :D
But I'm just like Demi. on this one - she's just soft-spoken, shy, and her behavior to the environment and the other characters around was just so absolutely perfect. I really loved how she was portrayed through every scene of the series. (it's really sad that StrikerS didn't give her sufficient air time..but it was made up near the end anyways~)

Basically, I really adore the way she moves and the things she do. Therefore, that makes her shine and is distinctively unique from any other character I've ever witnessed. :v

Yeah, that's another quality why I don't like tsunderes.
Talec
Dojikko
Dojikko

Post by Talec » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:11 pm

Fate wrote:But I'm just like Demi. on this one - she's just soft-spoken, shy, and her behavior to the environment and the other characters around was just so absolutely perfect.
We all have this admiration for a girl, even if its not Fate in my case.

I would probably rank her much higher if there wasn't that awful StrikerS, but well, that's another story...

In Japan they seem to be very popular tough.
Fate
Moon princess
Moon princess
Badges:

Post by Fate » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:15 pm

Talec wrote:
Fate wrote:But I'm just like Demi. on this one - she's just soft-spoken, shy, and her behavior to the environment and the other characters around was just so absolutely perfect.

I would probably rank her much higher if there wasn't that awful StrikerS, but well, that's another story...

Fate made StrikerS lively and redeemed it for me. (OH MY LIGHTNING GODDESS, THAT HOTT & SEXY BLACK LINGERIE!) Also, not everybody likes those qualities tbh. \o/
Like overfunk from AnimeSuki.
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:35 pm

Talec wrote:
That's true! I find many characters moe but Eva-chan is always an level higher than the others. I lost count how many times I reread the parts in the manga where she appears. :love:
Talec wrote:I would probably rank her much higher if there wasn't that awful StrikerS, but well, that's another story...
I didn't like StrikerS as much as the other seasons but It was still quite enjoyable. Without it there wouldn't have existed Fate Riot Mode and as consequence Alter wouldn't be releasing that gorgeous figure of her.
Talec wrote:
Aren't they more popular in Korean than Japan though? I remember someone saying that was why Kagami wen't much better in Korea Saimoe than Japan's one...
Fate wrote:Fate made StrikerS lively and redeemed it for me. (OH MY LIGHTNING GODDESS, THAT HOTT & SEXY BLACK LINGERIE!) Also, not everybody likes those qualities tbh. \o/
Like overfunk from AnimeSuki.
He's in this forum too you know :P
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:45 pm

Some people don't like tsundere because they claim that tsundere exist because the series fail to produce meaningful character development.

I lol at those people. That's like saying I don't like the taste of banana because it has 0.334 mg of Pantothenic acid per 100 mg. Get real. You don't "analyze" tsunderes; you "like" them or not.

In short, I love tsundere. Why? Who cares...not me. I just know they work for me.

Having said that tsundere don't dominate the very top of my moe list. They tend to dominate around tier 2-3, but most of them are above average in some way, unless they really annoy me like Yuuhi.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar
Worships: Takamachi Nanoha
Wish: The past to not weigh me down

Post by Seishi » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:44 pm

Oi...looks like KholdStare stole some of my points, except he seems more anvilicious about them.

Anyway, I like both Type A and Type B tsunderes...if they are at least believable. Louise Valliere (Zero no Tsukaima season 1) and Taiga Aisaka would be near the top of my list for this, the latter of which has to be the most realistic portrayal of a tsundere in any show I've seen.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Val
Uguu~
Uguu~

Post by Val » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:22 pm

I usually don't like tsundere characters when they're the female lead, the typical behaviour "I hang out with you for some reason but don't think I like you, but I don't totally hate you either..." tends to get on my nerves. Particularly when it's damn obvious to everyone that she tries to hide her feelings.

That's why I don't like Haruhi (the character), and didn't appreciate shows like Shana or ZnT.
The only one I actually really liked was Taiga. Not sure about the reason, but I found her far more lovable than your usual tsundere heroine.

Other than that, I don't mind a tsundere role in a show. They're usually here to add some fun, but rarely developped.
As for Fate, she's definitely not a tsundere character. The typical tsundere in StrikerS would be Teana imho.
Signum
Pokémon master
Pokémon master

Post by Signum » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:05 pm

I rather dislike tsunderes, because I usually hate the entire relationship they produce. I don't know, I dislike both the angry denial thing and the eventual blush.. That's why I avoid these shows, mostly. But I know I hated the hell out of Taiga when I watched Toradora.

There are tsunderes I find good, like Kagami, but that's because they have a different flair than, say, the generic Rie tsundere. In Kagami's case, it's that attitude of grumpy realist that's attracting. After all, she is in no way mean.

Yet, I don't find Haruhi to be that much of a tsundere and I like her character a lot.
Corni
~Senior Member~
~Senior Member~
Badges:
Worships: Yoshino Sakura
Melon Pan: 15
2020 Female Favorite: Furuhashi Fumino
2020 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
2019 Female Favorite: Hirasawa Yui
2019 Male Favorite: Rimuru Tempest
2018 Female Favorite: Tenma Gabriel White
2018 Male Favorite: Kanzaki Hideri
Wish: Wanna have daughters someday... Don't care blood or non blood... Maybe meet someone blonde and less than 140cm for marriage...

Post by Corni » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:55 pm

I love Tsundere but i dislike Kugyuu tsundere...
* i love Yuuhi not because her Tsundere but something else*

I starting liking Tsundere mostly because Sawachika Eri(School Rumble)...
Her Tsundere is really awesome and i just love how cute she is when she go dere dere...

But the most awesome Tsundere for me is Kotegawa Yui... If you want see Yui tsundere just read manga...lol...
Current top ten list August 2020:-
1) Yoshino Sakura (Da Capo) 2) Nikaidou Shinku (Irotoridori no Sekai) 3) Kagamigawa Chloe (Memories Off 6) 4) Tamura Yuri (Watamote) 5) Tsuruta Himeko (Saki) 6) Hibiki (Kancolle) 7) Kujikawa Rise (Persona 4) 8) Sheila Helman (Rance series) 9) Furuhashi Fumino (Bokuben) 10) Adolf Retia (Daiteitoku)
SpoilerShow
raizoo
Familiar
Familiar

Post by raizoo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:36 pm

I'm neutral toward tsundere, I guess. I like some of them, but I dislike some of them.

I usually like the ones that are cold at first, but slowly warm up to you - Kuga Natsuki of Mai-Hime comes to mind and I did like Matsudaira Touko from Maria-sama ga Miteru, for some that weren't mentioned already. And lyk osht, Touko is voiced by Kugyuu zomgomzogmzomgozmgzomg.

As for the other side of the coin, I guess it depends on how tsuntsun they are. I thought Louise from ZnT was cool at first, S2 made me dislike her, the first few eps of S3 made me like her again, but then the rest of the season just blew it for me. I think Shana is pretty, but I don't care much for her as a character, so her tsundereness doesn't really affect me. I like Nagi Sanzen'in and Taiga before someone points at me disliking "typical Kugyuu tsunderes" or something. Itou Shizuka is probably my favourite voice wise for tsunderes, sorry all you Kugyuu fags out there. Speaking of her, I do like Hinagiku.

Argh, I thought M.M. from Kemeko DX! was cute, but I think my favourite tsundere off the top of my head has to be Allison Whittington from Allison to Lillia. There's just something about her being blonde that tickles my fancy....
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:05 am

Seishi wrote:Anyway, I like both Type A and Type B tsunderes...if they are at least believable. Louise Valliere (Zero no Tsukaima season 1) and Taiga Aisaka would be near the top of my list for this, the latter of which has to be the most realistic portrayal of a tsundere in any show I've seen.
What are the Type A and Type B?
Val wrote:Other than that, I don't mind a tsundere role in a show. They're usually here to add some fun, but rarely developped.
Unnn... I don't think they are rarely developed. If they're side characters than the like many other side characters don't develop. But ones with more main roles usually develops and when they don't there is a good chance of it being a case of Adaptation Decay.
uis wrote:But the most awesome Tsundere for me is Kotegawa Yui... If you want see Yui tsundere just read manga...lol...
Now in the Anime she wasn't very tsunderish... and she looked to be more... stupid? :P Didn't like her very much in the anime...

Now I don't understand why people use the term Kugumiya Tsunderes...I mean Shana and Louise have some similarities but Naga and Taiga are quite different kinds of tsundere.
Seishi
Familiar
Familiar
Worships: Takamachi Nanoha
Wish: The past to not weigh me down

Post by Seishi » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:21 am

Yes, if there's something that annoys me it's the "Kugimiya tsundere" stigma. I can accept not liking some of the characters, but because of this her skill as a voice actor comes into question with some people, which really DOES bug me.

Well, there's no way I can make an accurate statement on Type A and B tsundere, so just go here for some fun.

I don't think there's really a voice that I can call "best" for tsundere roles. If so, then I would just say Tomokazu Seki. And he's a guy.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
raizoo
Familiar
Familiar

Post by raizoo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:46 am

BECAUSE KUGYUU IS THE QUEEN OF TSUNDERE or so the masses proclaim.

But liking or disliking a character because a certain seiyuu did the role seems to happen a lot if I'm taking this "Kugistan" thing the right way and seriously at that. I'd also like to think that I'm not that bad with my love for Yukarin and I'm not sure why Itou Shizuka's voice appeals to me when it's all tsuntsun.
chaosprophet wrote:Now I don't understand why people use the term Kugumiya Tsunderes...I mean Shana and Louise have some similarities but Naga and Taiga are quite different kinds of tsundere.
Well, no one even mentions Touko in MariMite and I thought that show was semi-popular on the Western side of the world....
Cecaniah
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Cecaniah » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:09 am

Seishi wrote: Well, there's no way I can make an accurate statement on Type A and B tsundere, so just go here for some fun.
I read part of that page, mainly the noting of Tsunderes in anime. And I SO disagree.
RantShow
First of all, Lulu is NOT a Tsun. At all. He was proved to not love C.C. and it's portrayed in the novels like he hates her. He's not a Tsun towards Shirley at all either! He acts like an ordinary person around her, with Shirley being the closest one to a love interest for him! And Kallen, it's not confirmed that he loves her, he just like to tease her to get her Tsundere reaction. And towards Euphie, his first love. He NEVER acted Tsundere-ish at all! And Nunnally? He's NEVER tsundere around her! Maybe dere, but there is no fucking way he is a Tsun!!! Just because he's arrogant, a great actor, and wants to protect those close to him doesn't make him a Tsundere!!!

Now, C.C. is not a Tsun either. She's cold hearted and selfish, she teases him for fun, not cause she loves him. She is just keeping him alive to fulfil her wish.
SpoilerShow
Also, that kiss in the end of the first season HAD NO LOVE!!! It was to record Lulu's memories so she could use him again.
She does show the denial quality somewhat, but that was when she had no feelings for him.

And finally Kallen. I completely agree that she's a Tsun.
Signature by Me.
Ikaros is <3~! Please support her in ISML with nominations and votes~!
CrowKenobi
Cherry blossom
Cherry blossom

Post by CrowKenobi » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 am

You're talking about tsunderes and have not mentioned Minoru Shiraishi?

:D
ImageImageImageImage
what might have been...Show
Thanks to Marinara for the avatar and sigs.
Corni
~Senior Member~
~Senior Member~
Badges:
Worships: Yoshino Sakura
Melon Pan: 15
2020 Female Favorite: Furuhashi Fumino
2020 Male Favorite: Hinata Shōyō
2019 Female Favorite: Hirasawa Yui
2019 Male Favorite: Rimuru Tempest
2018 Female Favorite: Tenma Gabriel White
2018 Male Favorite: Kanzaki Hideri
Wish: Wanna have daughters someday... Don't care blood or non blood... Maybe meet someone blonde and less than 140cm for marriage...

Post by Corni » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:20 am

Lulu tsundere ??? lol... raizoo more tsundere...

Anyway:-
dere rankShow
Current top ten list August 2020:-
1) Yoshino Sakura (Da Capo) 2) Nikaidou Shinku (Irotoridori no Sekai) 3) Kagamigawa Chloe (Memories Off 6) 4) Tamura Yuri (Watamote) 5) Tsuruta Himeko (Saki) 6) Hibiki (Kancolle) 7) Kujikawa Rise (Persona 4) 8) Sheila Helman (Rance series) 9) Furuhashi Fumino (Bokuben) 10) Adolf Retia (Daiteitoku)
SpoilerShow