ISML 2009 Anime Series

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

Re: ISML 2009 Anime Series

Post by chaosprophet » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:03 am

-synchronizer- wrote:
chaosprophet wrote:Well you can always try the manga! :P
You never stop giving your best effort to campaigning, do you? :biggrin:
:lol: It's more my wish to have other people enjoy something I enjoyed [dark reason]so that I can have more people to talk about/discuss it[/dark reason].
And it's hard to campaign to Eva. she's one of the top Negima characters on the most favorite by the manga fanbase. But still Negima have too many different flavors of moe and a good amount of them recieve at least a good share of spotlight and it's fandom is very diversified in which girls they like. So if I tried to campaign in AQS for example where there is an good amount of Negima fans there would still be many that won't fell like voting for Eva-chan... and there are many Haruhi and other famous series lovers there too.
Demi. wrote:I jumped out, but then I realized my window was open and I was on the first floor.
First Floors. Suiciding because of MGD (Moe-Generated-Despair) had never been harder.
Smasher
Alchemist
Alchemist

Post by Smasher » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:49 pm

Negima is one of those series where the manga is vastly superior to both anime adaptations. The first anime was decent but they derailed near the end because they strayed to much of the manga storyline. The second one never really caught me, but that's probably because I watched it from the DVD I bought and those subs where really crappy to say the least.

It's one of those manga I refuse to read online since I like the feel of a book a lot better and I want the full experience reading it, as opposed to Bleach and Naruto wich I do read online since I don't want to spend any money on it but still want to be up to date about the story. English versions of Negima should release A LOT faster tho...
Eisdrache
Translator
Translator
Melon Pan: 55

Post by Eisdrache » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:11 pm

Seen, not seen
Cecaniah wrote: List of Series
AIR
Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka
ARIA
Azumanga Daiō
BAMBOO BLADE
Cardcaptor Sakura
Chobits
CLANNAD
Code Geass
Fate/stay night
Hayate no Gotoku!
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Kannagi
Kanon
Kara no Kyōkai
Lucky ☆ Star

Mahō Sensei Negima!
Mahō Shōjo Lyrical Nanoha
Ōkami to Kōshinryō
Rozen Maiden
Shakugan no Shana
Shugo Chara!
- Missing like the last 10 episodes t_t
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu - Ep1-3
Tōhō Musō Kakyō
To Aru Majutsu no Index

To Love-Ru
Toradora! - STILL missing the last 2 episodes
Zero no Tsukaima
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:16 pm

Smasher wrote:It's one of those manga I refuse to read online since I like the feel of a book a lot better and I want the full experience reading it, as opposed to Bleach and Naruto wich I do read online since I don't want to spend any money on it but still want to be up to date about the story.
I wanted to do the same as you in the beginning but ended up reading online. But then up to this day we only have up to the first half of volume 17 released here... so I'm glad that I started reading online... I would be missing lots of things...
Blacksmith_Tony
Beef bowl
Beef bowl

Post by Blacksmith_Tony » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:57 pm

List of Series

Seen
AIR
Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka
CLANNAD - I've only seen 11 episodes of AS though.
Fate/stay night
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Only the first series.
Kannagi
Kanon
Mahō Shōjo Lyrical Nanoha
Ōkami to Kōshinryō
Rozen Maiden - Again I've only seen the first series.
Shakugan no Shana
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu
Tōhō Musō Kakyō
Toradora!

Watching
ARIA - Only 3 episodes into the first series.
Shugo Chara! - Not seen much but will continue to watch it when I'm in the mood.
To Aru Majutsu no Index - I've seen 10 episodes, but it's slow going.
To Love-Ru - Just two more episodes left in the TV series to watch, maybe I'll finish it tonight

Dropped (or seen parts)

Cardcaptor Sakura - I've seen a few random episodes of Cardcaptors if that counts >_>.
Chobits - Watched the first couple of episodes way back when and decided not to watch anymore. I've never felt like going back to it either.
Hayate no Gotoku! - Watched a few episodes.
Kara no Kyōkai - Watched 2, and semi interested in watching the rest, but not at the moment.

Not Seen

Azumanga Daiō
BAMBOO BLADE
Code Geass
Lucky ☆ Star
Mahō Sensei Negima!
Zero no Tsukaima

Other than the series I'm watching, Kara no Kyōkai, and possibly Azumanga I'm not sure I'll watch any of the other series.
Talec
Dojikko
Dojikko

Post by Talec » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:14 am

The following is my very subjective opinion. There are some highly side blows against some very famous animes. So don't klick on the spoilertab, if you cannot take any critic in your beloved anime. ;P

italic letters: still watching. Opinion still can change.
SpoilerShow
AIR :study:
Recently started. As a big-Kanon-Fan I'll sure enjoy it.

+Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka o.o
I liked the visual aspect way more than the show itself. Based on eyecandy, Yūhi is a 2D goddess for me.

+Azumanga Daiō :lol:
Was quite fun, but sometimes a bit stupid. *remembers the volleyball-scene*

+Cardcaptor Sakura :bigsmile:
just a classical. Girl-Series in his pure form, but it was just sweet.

+Chobits :bigsmile:
Was my first romance Anime and (to that time) a pretty uncomon story for me.

CLANNAD :arrow:
Dropped first Season about episode 18. I'm no Clannad fanboy, absolutely not. It lacks in every way compared to Kanon06. Ryou&Kotomi are moe tough.

+Fate/stay night 8-)
Known the game, watched the anime.

+Hayate no Gotoku! :lol:
Watched. Was a funny show. Liked this mix on parody and comedy.

+Higurashi no Naku Koro ni :love:
stunning lolis, blood, violence. Just more Fanservice and I sure would become a believer.

+Kannagi :bigsmile:
Watched. And I very liked it. Nagi has just such a great, refreshing character. And Zangechan reminds me of the devil itself: a dangerous temptation

+Kanon :love: :love:
Without any doubt, this is a masterpiece. I started it just because of the great drwaing style but with a huge scepticism. A 'girly love-love anime' could be nothing for a shounen-fan who likes battle, blood and huge impact waves, I was sure.
Don't remember, howmany times I cried because of Kanon06 :mrgreen: , but still remembering that I absorbed this anime within 2 days. Was such a great show, that I just had to buy the dvd collection, even if my player couldn't (and still can't) play them.

+Lucky ☆ Star :love:
This Comedy was epic. The first episode was such a trap, I almost droped the anime, but I kept to it and was greatly rewarded.

+Mahō Shōjo Lyrical Nanoha :bigsmile: / :love: / :arrow:
Watched all 3 seasons. Season 1 was OK, Season 2 was great (Hayate <3), Season 3 was like a dumb impact on the ground after falling 5000 feets. I just couldn't stand what became on this girls and how they got hustled to the background.

+Ōkami to Kōshinryō :bigsmile:
Slow & nice. Horo and Lawrence are a really sympathic couple. Looking forward to season 2.

+Rozen Maiden :P
Watched. Don't have the impulse to write something tough.

+Shakugan no Shana :\
Watched 1 season. Dropped 2. season short before the end. However: Shana is the only tsundere I don't dislike totaly.

+Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu :bigsmile:
Watched. And I'm one of these few critics of this series. I enjoyed watching it, but for me it was just another slice-of-live anime with some crazy additional elements. For me, this anime is a good show, but overrated.

+To Aru Majutsu no Index :study:
still watching. It's nothing special imo.

+To Love-Ru :roll:
A fanservice anime, could have been better, could also have been a lot worse! (like Kanokon/Girls Bravo) The girls are all very appealing and I would highly enjoy it if there wouldn't be a totaly absence from any level. I heard the Manga would be better, maybe I should start reading.

+Toradora! : :study:
Watching at the moment. On episode 9. Taiga and Ami are just tedious, sorry. Before I started this anime, some references told me, Taiga would be the most realistic tsundere so far. I cannot confirm that. She is a nervous wrack, always bursts out in idiotic rages and this always "you are my dog, my stupid dog who has to do everything for me" just gave the overkill. Exactly copied from ZnT. Tough Minori and Ryuuji are really great characters and the only reason I will watch this anime to the end.

+Zero no Tsukaima :roll:
Watched 2 and a half seasons. Then dropped. I'm a fan of Siesta and Henrietta. But cannot watch 38 episodes with a progress-amount of Zero %.

Haven't seen

-ARIA
Not seen so far

-Tōhō Musō Kakyō
Never seen. This isn't even an official anime. It's something only for japanese otakus. Have played 1-2 games though.

-Shugo Chara!
The visual is very appealing. However, at the moment I don't feel the need for a classical magical-girl series like Sailermoon.

<>Mahō Sensei Negima!
I've started the series but somehow it got lost ~ I should take on a new try.

-Kara no Kyōkai
never seen, never heard of it until ISML.

-BAMBOO BLADE
haven't seen, but it's on my list.

-Code Geass
One of these series I have on the 'must watch' list since almost a year ~
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:27 pm

Note for future reference: For those that liked Kanon, the parts of Clannad that would interest you are in After Story, the First Season (and part of the second) are the School Life phase, which has less drama and far less crying. Last half of After Story however, is the heart of Clannad. Like Kanon and AIR...you will cry.
Space Opera
Talec
Dojikko
Dojikko

Post by Talec » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:18 am

I originally didn't want to make a discussion over my personal thinking, but since your text is definitively an answer on my adjudgement:
SpoilerShow
You will NOT cry. Season 2 is even more worse then season 1 was. Nagisa is the most boring character Ive ever seen. I didn't like her from the start, I didn't like her when I cancelt the anime and from what I heard, I wouldn't like her in Season 2. She is weak, boring, unstable, ... bah, all character traits I would never wanna have by close people. And in Season 2 everything is centered around her. the Sidecharacters like Ryou or Kotomi, Fuko, etc. which were the good thing in this anime are almost vanished and got pushed into the meaningless voidness. I do always take some time when I'm making an finalstatement for an anime. So don't tell me, Clannad would reach Kanon06 in any way. It's just not true. ;) In a drama there is everything about the Characters, and they are leaking through and through.
So on, my 'shit Clannad'-crusade restarts again...
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:35 pm

Quite honestly, Nagisa grows on you in the second season. Your stopping point is before her growth as a character. Also honestly, she's actually the most stable character of the series, which is quite shocking when you see her in everyone elses arcs during the first season. She might remain "boring and normal" but she's far more stable and strong than she looks.

Also brave, bold...and also very cute when drunk.

I'd also point out you missed Mei's moe-ments, both at the 23rd episode of the first season and the star of the second season.
Space Opera
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:26 pm

ithekro wrote:Quite honestly, Nagisa grows on you in the second season. Your stopping point is before her growth as a character. Also honestly, she's actually the most stable character of the series, which is quite shocking when you see her in everyone elses arcs during the first season. She might remain "boring and normal" but she's far more stable and strong than she looks.

Also brave, bold...and also very cute when drunk.

I'd also point out you missed Mei's moe-ments, both at the 23rd episode of the first season and the star of the second season.
I agree with ithekro here. Nagisa is my less favorite girl from the main five and I still was able to enjoy AS immensely, more than the first season. And just like ithekro said Nagisa grows a lot during both the last EPs of the first season and in the second season. Of course It's all up to you Talec but I believe yuo should try to give Clannad a second chance.
Last edited by chaosprophet on Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:33 pm

@Talec:

Your post has absolutely no credibility as all, since you did not finish Clannad and did not even started the second season. How serious would you take a construction worker giving you a calculus lesson? Right now your opinion is based on how much you hate Nagisa until the point where you dropped the first season, which is, in my opinion, not an opinion I would look at twice.

And from someone who has finished Clannad and Kanon, Kanon twice, I find that Clannad S1 in so much incredibly better than Kanon. Clannad AS is inferior to both anime.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Cecaniah
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Cecaniah » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:47 pm

I just rewatched CCS, I'm glad I got to see the end.
Signature by Me.
Ikaros is <3~! Please support her in ISML with nominations and votes~!
LazyCanuck
Chuunibyou
Chuunibyou

Post by LazyCanuck » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:58 am

Lol

Clannad was good at best, the first season was Indeed about 2-3 times better than After story.

After story was only good when it wasn't actually "After Story", or in other words the arcs before it, once the actual After Story started the pace was so horribly slow that it pretty much killed any enjoyment i had from the previous episodes. Even when "THAT" happened i really didn't care all that much because it was you-know-who and ..well yeah.. honestly AS would have gotten like a 6 or a 7(which is REALLY bad for someone like myself) if not for the final arc.

Kanon did twice as much for me as Clannad in half the episodes, and NO KS you can't just split the two animes up like they are something different, Clannad and Clannad AS are the same damn thing, its no different than if Clannad was a 52 episode series(give or take a few episodes since i cant remember how long each season was)

Clannad was good for a jump around the arcs solve every girls problems with comedy thrown in now and then. Too bad 2 of the main girls got shafted all to hell, the one who got the most episodes was annoying as hell, and the most boring of them all was the center of everything.
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:09 am

LazyCanuck wrote:NO KS you can't just split the two animes up like they are something different, Clannad and Clannad AS are the same damn thing
LazyCanuck wrote:the first season was Indeed about 2-3 times better than After story.
How are we any different?

I guess we should lump all Macross series together since they're like Clannad, same world with a time skip, different plot.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
ithekro
Strike witch
Strike witch
Badges:

Post by ithekro » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:24 pm

It has probably been pointed out before, but the After Story Part of Clannad, is the story. Everything else is the setup for After Story. Which basically means that Clannad is Tomoya's journey. His growth. His problems. His story.

This also means that of all the main girls, the only one presented that can fix Tomoya's problems is Nagisa. All the others have problems for Tomoya to fix in one way or another. The Drama Club is a problem to get them all together, but the effect of the Drama Club is more to fix Tomoya than to fix Nagisa. It becomes clear that it isn't Tomoya fixing Nagisa, it is Nagisa fixing (and completing) Tomoya.

You wonder why Nagisa is holding up better this year than last year and why Nagisa got the farthest in last year's Saimoe over everyone else in Clannad? It is After Story. Leave your shipping behind because by After Story the shipping angle is gone. Clannad's first season might seems like a harem anime, but After Story has none of that left since the choice has been made. This is "life after the choice has been made".

Also Ushio. Even the diehard "Nagisa should just die" crowd melted due to Ushio.
Space Opera
LazyCanuck
Chuunibyou
Chuunibyou

Post by LazyCanuck » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:06 am

KholdStare88 wrote:
LazyCanuck wrote:NO KS you can't just split the two animes up like they are something different, Clannad and Clannad AS are the same damn thing
LazyCanuck wrote:the first season was Indeed about 2-3 times better than After story.
How are we any different?

I guess we should lump all Macross series together since they're like Clannad, same world with a time skip, different plot.

The first season was better but Clannad overall was not, I'm talking about how you always claim Clannad is so much better then Kanon when really its not, so many things wrong with clannad overall makes it far less enjoyable then Kanon was. The only thing you've been able to tell me about why you dislike Kanon is because of the ending, but than that has no merit because Clannad does the same thing. And even at that Kanon was still better than season 1 of Clannad, because its pretty much the same thing anyway. Guy helps a bunch of girls, picks one in the end, the biggest factor for Kanon being better is the fact no Kanon girls got shafted all to hell like in Clannad.

Also i have no idea about Macross since i've never seen any of them, but if each season has a different plot all together then yeah you can split them up, After story is the same plot as Clannad, its a continuation, like I said, its no different than if Clannad was 52 episodes long.
ithekro wrote:You wonder why Nagisa is holding up better this year than last year and why Nagisa got the farthest in last year's Saimoe over everyone else in Clannad? It is After Story. Leave your shipping behind because by After Story the shipping angle is gone. Clannad's first season might seems like a harem anime, but After Story has none of that left since the choice has been made. This is "life after the choice has been made".

Nagisa is holding up better than last year because there are WAY more voters this year and its pretty apparent most of them are Kyoani fags (just look at all Clannad girls and Haruhi girls vote totals). As for Jmoe yeah the story centered around Nagisa in AS so of course all the little peons of voters who dont know more than like 4 animes all of which are Kyoani will vote for her, because we all know how short everyones memories are. :roll:
ithekro wrote:Also Ushio. Even the diehard "Nagisa should just die" crowd melted due to Ushio.
Yeah Ushio was great, all the events with her are what made me actually enjoy After story in the end, but that does change my opinion on Nagisa who is still one of the most boring and useless characters I've ever seen
SpoilerShow
I bet deep down inside everyone loves Ushio because shes the one who killed Nagisa ^^;
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:33 am

Okay, how about this. Let's group Gunslinger Girl and Il Teatrino together.

Oh wait, the GSG fans would kill you.

Also, Clannad S1 and AS have different plots, because S1 had no plot. That's what made it good.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Cecaniah
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Cecaniah » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:50 am

IMO, this arguement is pointless.
Signature by Me.
Ikaros is <3~! Please support her in ISML with nominations and votes~!
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:47 am

It is rather pointless, because here is someone telling me I can't judge two series separately.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Demi.
Intelligent device
Intelligent device
Worships: Fate Testarossa
Wish: To hug Fate-chan

Post by Demi. » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:16 am

A debate with Khold, and I'm not part of it?

*sarcasm*