AKB0048

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:
Worships: Evangeline McDowell
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Future UQ Holder anime adaptation is done right.

AKB0048

Post by chaosprophet » Tue May 22, 2012 1:14 pm

Go guerrilla idols! Anyone else is enjoying this show? I found it interesting and decided to watch way back when it was announced but wasn't expecting it to be this fun, so it was quite a surprise. Right now it's one of the airing shows I look forward a lot to the next episode. A pity it's only 13 episodes.

I'm trying to figure out how the successors system works. It does seems that when someone become a successor she inherits a name from one of the "original" members (which they say were the original members of the AKB48 group back on earth) plus a number, that likely increases by one after a new person inherits the same name. No idea if the 1st for each one was the 1st AKB0048 successor for a certain name or if it used to refer to the AKB48 members.

Something else I'm curious about is regarding the maximum number of successors at the same time. If they're inheriting AKB48 names, then that means that number is limited. But it may be a number big enough that they may not even need to mention or that it won't matter. I was trying to check for any pattern, using the name of members we have from the anime (on the Japanese site there is a list of the important members and their number) plus the ones mentioned as past centers. But they're from different AKB teams, from different generations. The only thing they all have in common so far is being current active members. But if they used current active members as the limit, it would be a too big that it don't matter number (64).
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Re: AKB0048

Post by Bastion » Tue May 22, 2012 6:33 pm

chaosprophet wrote:Go guerrilla idols! Anyone else is enjoying this show? I found it interesting and decided to watch way back when it was announced but wasn't expecting it to be this fun, so it was quite a surprise. Right now it's one of the airing shows I look forward a lot to the next episode. A pity it's only 13 episodes.

I'm trying to figure out how the successors system works. It does seems that when someone become a successor she inherits a name from one of the "original" members (which they say were the original members of the AKB48 group back on earth) plus a number, that likely increases by one after a new person inherits the same name. No idea if the 1st for each one was the 1st AKB0048 successor for a certain name or if it used to refer to the AKB48 members.

Something else I'm curious about is regarding the maximum number of successors at the same time. If they're inheriting AKB48 names, then that means that number is limited. But it may be a number big enough that they may not even need to mention or that it won't matter. I was trying to check for any pattern, using the name of members we have from the anime (on the Japanese site there is a list of the important members and their number) plus the ones mentioned as past centers. But they're from different AKB teams, from different generations. The only thing they all have in common so far is being current active members. But if they used current active members as the limit, it would be a too big that it don't matter number (64).
I agree, I wasn't expecting much from this show before it aired, but it gained it's (personal) nickname of 'Combat Idol's' by the second episode.
Currently it's one of my faves of this season, probably top five (mostly because it started later than the others).
I think the original team had more members than they've ever actually seen in successors, so they might not have actually run into the issue of running out of successor names, it looks like the dorm is much larger than needed to house the 'original' team plus a full set of successors and a full team of 'trainees'. Also, there doesn't seem to be a minimum successors, since the 75th generation currently has none (maybe we'll get a clue as to why the other girl still hasn't become one later on).
Maybe to become a successor, they need to be chosen by a spirit like Cheri(?) was.
Maybe if they ran out of titles to 'inherit' the new idol would become a new 'xxx01' and the number of cast could keep expanding that way.

My biggest question is about the hair, everyone seems to have a heart somewhere, and I can't figure out what that indicates. Maybe it's a 'coming of age' thing.

(Will be placing summeries in this thread instead of the Spring Shows one?)
Jamie AB is open for business. How would you like your hare-brained scheme?
Confusing statements are fun :p
Medaka Kurokami wrote:People aren't meant to protect the rules, rules are meant to protect people
(*'////'*)
SpoilerShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae27 ... nner-1.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/img]

ImageImage
*Puts Nagi behind the drums and Hinagiku at the front with the mike and a guitar*
Banners made by Midnight Jasper & Marinara
Kordosa wrote:I can just imagine all of the Hinagiku facepalming moments. That alone is worth it.
HnG chapter 333 pg 9 wrote:She (Hinagiku) realized an incredibly obvious but oft overlooked point: One had to read the manga before they could give their judgment of it.
ithekro wrote:Remember you aren't allowed to use your powers for evil.
With great power comes great responsibility
Absolute power corrupts absolutely
Tomoya Okazaki wrote:Can I beat you until you're motionless?
MegaTokyo wrote:Some of us are just a little more screwed up than others.
Saber (maglor) wrote:It is not how much, but it is where the king spends that tells what kind of king he is.
Rito wrote:Men don't decide whether they like someone or not based solely on breast size.
Kordosa wrote:Boy, I really need to learn to keep my questions to myself. It only makes things worse.
The lunatics around you are once again doing something to lower your opinion of human intelligence. ~Face Palm
Your sense of time tells you how much of your life has been wasted because you didn't take us at our word. ~Cracked.com
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Azu-nyan, Hina-chan, Aoyama-chan and Subaru-nyan-chan
Nepommic
Nikuman
Nikuman

Post by Nepommic » Tue May 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Bastion wrote:
chaosprophet wrote:Go guerrilla idols! Anyone else is enjoying this show? I found it interesting and decided to watch way back when it was announced but wasn't expecting it to be this fun, so it was quite a surprise. Right now it's one of the airing shows I look forward a lot to the next episode. A pity it's only 13 episodes.

I agree, I wasn't expecting much from this show before it aired, but it gained it's (personal) nickname of 'Combat Idol's' by the second episode.
Currently it's one of my faves of this season, probably top five (mostly because it started later than the others).
I think the original team had more members than they've ever actually seen in successors, so they might not have actually run into the issue of running out of successor names, it looks like the dorm is much larger than needed to house the 'original' team plus a full set of successors and a full team of 'trainees'. Also, there doesn't seem to be a minimum successors, since the 75th generation currently has none (maybe we'll get a clue as to why the other girl still hasn't become one later on).
Maybe to become a successor, they need to be chosen by a spirit like Cheri(?) was.
Maybe if they ran out of titles to 'inherit' the new idol would become a new 'xxx01' and the number of cast could keep expanding that way.

My biggest question is about the hair, everyone seems to have a heart somewhere, and I can't figure out what that indicates. Maybe it's a 'coming of age' thing.

(Will be placing summeries in this thread instead of the Spring Shows one?)
I like this anime as well. To me its like idolmaster + fighting = AKB0048
I like the concept of entertainment was banned and they had to fight to perform. At first i thought it was something like being a idol was a cover up but it isnt. All the girls are pretty artwise and i see the plot coming together. The singing is nice tooo.
That Heart thing also made me have a question. I saw it on Nagisas hair when she had a flashback.
Nagisa is also my favorite. Kinda like Tomoka from Ro kyu bu. :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:

Post by Bastion » Tue May 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Nepommic wrote:I like this anime as well. To me its like idolmaster + fighting = AKB0048
Idols + combat butler trope = Combat Idols :P

I think most (if not all) of the girls have the heart, didn't see it in any of the parents, but I wasn't looking then, and the girl with the bunny ears I couldn't see (which is why I'm thinking it might be a coming of age thing), but that might just be cause it was blocked, it seems to be in different places for some of them.

Unfortunately, I don't see the art-style being ISML material, and with the iDOLs reception this year, I don't see these characters making it in '13 :(
Medaka Kurokami wrote:People aren't meant to protect the rules, rules are meant to protect people
(*'////'*)
SpoilerShow
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae27 ... nner-1.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/img]

ImageImage
*Puts Nagi behind the drums and Hinagiku at the front with the mike and a guitar*
Kordosa wrote:I can just imagine all of the Hinagiku facepalming moments. That alone is worth it.
HnG chapter 333 pg 9 wrote:She (Hinagiku) realized an incredibly obvious but oft overlooked point: One had to read the manga before they could give their judgment of it.
Saber (maglor) wrote:It is not how much, but it is where the king spends that tells what kind of king he is.
Rito wrote:Men don't decide whether they like someone or not based solely on breast size.
Kordosa wrote:Boy, I really need to learn to keep my questions to myself. It only makes things worse.
The lunatics around you are once again doing something to lower your opinion of human intelligence. ~Face Palm
Your sense of time tells you how much of your life has been wasted because you didn't take us at our word. ~Cracked.com
Nepommic
Nikuman
Nikuman

Post by Nepommic » Tue May 22, 2012 8:45 pm

Bastion wrote:
Nepommic wrote:I like this anime as well. To me its like idolmaster + fighting = AKB0048
Idols + combat butler trope = Combat Idols :P

I think most (if not all) of the girls have the heart, didn't see it in any of the parents, but I wasn't looking then, and the girl with the bunny ears I couldn't see (which is why I'm thinking it might be a coming of age thing), but that might just be cause it was blocked, it seems to be in different places for some of them.

Unfortunately, I don't see the art-style being ISML material, and with the iDOLs reception this year, I don't see these characters making it in '13 :(
They were nice. but different. That difference isnt ISML material.
I dont remember the age of Nagisa in the flashback. but yea. you could be right. Maybe the heart indicates that you are able to become an idol or something.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:

Post by Bastion » Tue May 22, 2012 8:52 pm

Hmm.. that's an interesting point, I doubt Nagisa in the first episode was older than the bunny-ears though, maybe it's a 'stamp' of citizenship?

I don't think it has any connection with idol ability either, but that would be easier to determine if there were more non-idols to look at.
(*'////'*)
SpoilerShow

ImageImage
Nepommic
Nikuman
Nikuman

Post by Nepommic » Tue May 22, 2012 10:09 pm

I really dont know. We might know in time. but i doubt it.
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Wed May 23, 2012 1:25 am

Bastion wrote:(Will be placing summeries in this thread instead of the Spring Shows one?)
Whichever you prefer. Considering the examples of other threads it's ok to posts episodes comments, with the proper spoiler tagging, on the topic about the shows. But some prefer to have all their comments about anime airing in the same season in the same place.

About the heart in the hair and eyes, I think it's just a design for the show, to make they look cute I guess?

It does seems that there is some kind of spiritual/magical thing related with becoming a successor, considering the scenes where there is the mikos. The scene where one girl is able to lift a big weight after, apparently, activating her power as an successor also seems to indicate that there is something of supernatural related with it.

Something else I'm wondering is what graduation mean. They mention that a certain girl graduated but what would that mean in the context in the series?

Regarding the "titles / names", this is what I was able to discover, it may contain slight spoilers from episodes 1-4:
ep1 to 4Show
I'm trying to list all the successors we know about. On the main site there is the name and number of 9 members, which are the 8 more important members for the story so far plus the previous center which was on the first concert in the anime and together with the other 8 girls have some focus on the op (but she already graduated). There is also the girls that are mentioned in episode 4 as previous center, plus other names names mentioned through episodes 1-4

+Current Members:
  • Akimoto Sayaka the 10th
    Itano Tomomi the 11th
    Ooshima Yuuko the 9th
    Kashiwagi Yuki the 6th
    Kojima Haruna the 8th
    Takahashi Minami the 5th
    Miyazawa Sae the 10th
    Watanabe Mayu the 3rd*
*Interesting that the counter used for her is different and meant for robots/machines. I wonder if all Mayu are robots.

+Past Centers:
  • Maeda Atsuko the 13th
    Minegishi Minami (Mii-chan)* the 5th*
    Yokoyama Yui (Yui-han)* the 6th
    Ooshima Yuuko (Yuuko)* the 7th**
*They only tell us the nicknames but looking around it does seems every AKB member has an specific nickname so I was able to guess the names. Not 100% sure though.
**The group I watched from translated as Yuuko the 9th, but I'm pretty sure I heard a "nana dai" there = 7th

+Mentioned:
  • Shinoda Mariko (Mariko-sama)*
    Sashihara Rino (Sasshii)*
    Shimazaki Haruka (Paruru)* the 3rd
*Same as above for guessing the names.
Also from episode 1, it seems Katagiri Tsubasa, current AKB0048 manager, was a Mariko successor 4 years ago, as she is called that during the fight.
Nepommic
Nikuman
Nikuman

Post by Nepommic » Wed May 23, 2012 1:43 am

chaosprophet wrote:
Bastion wrote:(Will be placing summeries in this thread instead of the Spring Shows one?)
Whichever you prefer. Considering the examples of other threads it's ok to posts episodes comments, with the proper spoiler tagging, on the topic about the shows. But some prefer to have all their comments about anime airing in the same season in the same place.

About the heart in the hair and eyes, I think it's just a design for the show, to make they look cute I guess?

It does seems that there is some kind of spiritual/magical thing related with becoming a successor, considering the scenes where there is the mikos. The scene where one girl is able to lift a big weight after, apparently, activating her power as an successor also seems to indicate that there is something of supernatural related with it.

Something else I'm wondering is what graduation mean. They mention that a certain girl graduated but what would that mean in the context in the series?

Regarding the "titles / names", this is what I was able to discover, it may contain slight spoilers from episodes 1-4:
ep1 to 4Show
I'm trying to list all the successors we know about. On the main site there is the name and number of 9 members, which are the 8 more important members for the story so far plus the previous center which was on the first concert in the anime and together with the other 8 girls have some focus on the op (but she already graduated). There is also the girls that are mentioned in episode 4 as previous center, plus other names names mentioned through episodes 1-4

+Current Members:
  • Akimoto Sayaka the 10th
    Itano Tomomi the 11th
    Ooshima Yuuko the 9th
    Kashiwagi Yuki the 6th
    Kojima Haruna the 8th
    Takahashi Minami the 5th
    Miyazawa Sae the 10th
    Watanabe Mayu the 3rd*
*Interesting that the counter used for her is different and meant for robots/machines. I wonder if all Mayu are robots.

+Past Centers:
  • Maeda Atsuko the 13th
    Minegishi Minami (Mii-chan)* the 5th*
    Yokoyama Yui (Yui-han)* the 6th
    Ooshima Yuuko (Yuuko)* the 7th**
*They only tell us the nicknames but looking around it does seems every AKB member has an specific nickname so I was able to guess the names. Not 100% sure though.
**The group I watched from translated as Yuuko the 9th, but I'm pretty sure I heard a "nana dai" there = 7th

+Mentioned:
  • Shinoda Mariko (Mariko-sama)*
    Sashihara Rino (Sasshii)*
    Shimazaki Haruka (Paruru)* the 3rd
*Same as above for guessing the names.
Also from episode 1, it seems Katagiri Tsubasa, current AKB0048 manager, was a Mariko successor 4 years ago, as she is called that during the fight.
I know i read something about how they look. they based there looks on how the fans wanted it. there was a poll along time ago. about it.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:

Post by Bastion » Wed May 23, 2012 1:56 am

chaosprophet wrote:It does seems that there is some kind of spiritual/magical thing related with becoming a successor, considering the scenes where there is the mikos. The scene where one girl is able to lift a big weight after, apparently, activating her power as an successor also seems to indicate that there is something of supernatural related with it.
I think I remember them mentioning something about (at least) one of the idols being a robot (chobit/persocom style) so they could have been the one who lifted the great weight, and when the chandeleer (don't know if you're talking about these being different things), with the right leverage/footing/placement, great weights can be moved easily, and the shuttle-thing they use to fly around probably helped with that, so it's not that spectacular for something to be moved easily without any supernatural influence (seen it done in other anime where there is no supernatural element to things).
chaosprophet wrote:Something else I'm wondering is what graduation mean. They mention that a certain girl graduated but what would that mean in the context in the series?
It could be graduated, similar to schooling:
elementary -> middle -> high -> college
trainee -> successor -> death
(*'////'*)
SpoilerShow

ImageImage
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Wed May 23, 2012 2:30 am

The robot is not the one who lift it. Check what I posted in spoiler, If you check around the end of episode 2 and you will be able to see who lift it up and who is the robot.

The way the scene was made that make it seems like supernatural though. She even go and shines at that moment. But maybe it isn't, we will see. We have yet to see the moment of when someone becomes a successor.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:

Post by Bastion » Wed May 23, 2012 4:20 am

chaosprophet wrote:The robot is not the one who lift it. Check what I posted in spoiler, If you check around the end of episode 2 and you will be able to see who lift it up and who is the robot.

The way the scene was made that make it seems like supernatural though. She even go and shines at that moment. But maybe it isn't, we will see. We have yet to see the moment of when someone becomes a successor.
I didn't get the sense of anything supernatural when I saw the scene, it looked more like she activated something on her glider if anything.
As I said, lifting something like that chandaleer happens in several other shows without supernatural, or even mechanical help, it just takes being at the right place, which is why the non-idol girl couldn't do it when she tried, wrong place.
As well, we're only told that one 'is' a robot, for all we know, they're all robots by now.
Also didn't seem like much of a 'lifted up' but more of a 'move out of the way' which is done easier with three people than two, one injured, one to help them move out of the way and a third to lift long enough for the other two to get the job done.
Jeffrey-sama
Soul gem
Soul gem
Wish: K-ON! Season 3

Post by Jeffrey-sama » Wed May 23, 2012 11:14 pm

RobotShow
Technically, "robot" is not the correct term.
Watanabe Mayu is often called "Cyborg Idol/Girl" in real life because of her unhuman-like actions and cuteness.
I guess the producers just decided to insert this inside joke into the anime.

Mayuyu = <3
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Thu May 24, 2012 12:29 am

Jeffrey-sama wrote:
RobotShow
Watanabe Mayu is often called "Cyborg Idol/Girl" in real life because of her unhuman-like actions and cuteness.

Mayuyu = <3
SpoilerShow
On the site her name is Mayu the 3rd Model/Type. Maybe she is a cyborg but sounds like she was constructed.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:

Post by Bastion » Thu May 24, 2012 1:10 am

Jeffrey-sama wrote:
RobotShow
Thus why I called her a 'robot' to the tune of 'Chobit' and/or 'Persocom', still not entirely human, but definately not of human 'construction', Yuki and several other ISML contenders could be similarly compared.
(*'////'*)
SpoilerShow

ImageImage
akumaxx
Puella magi
Puella magi
Wish: An ISML without harmonics

Post by akumaxx » Thu May 24, 2012 6:22 am

Just mention that, only 9 out of 200 AKB48(and other sister groups) members are qualified to join this anime.
By the way, Mayu is the only one of being both a VA(of Chieri) and a chara(by Tamura Yukari).
At Ep. 2Show
Exactly one 0048 member uses weapon in arm.
Ep. 4Show
And the other 2 main charas are of 75th generations, one of which is Sonata's sister.
Kanata is not pleased by both telling Sonata the truth, and her inability after 2 years.
At least she won't give up, according to her revenge motivation against DES.
According to the official site, the successors are far from complete. If nobody can fit a certain name, there will be no successor for that.

Back to Moshidora or maybe earlier, there are already AKB48 members as VA. See wikipedia.
== Low Activity ==
Current Soul: 269
Newest cards of Saimoe set: (Resized for signature use)
Previous cardsShow
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Thu May 24, 2012 6:48 am

I wonder if someone can succeed a name that already have a active successor. Where there would be either two at the same time, or the current ones is demoted for the newer one.
Nepommic
Nikuman
Nikuman

Post by Nepommic » Thu May 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Most of the characters VA are part of the group.
Nagisas VA is only 14. :O
chaosprophet
Shinigami
Shinigami
Badges:

Post by chaosprophet » Thu May 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Actually all the 9 trainee girls are voiced by AKB members. While the 9 successors are voiced by pro seiyuu.
Jeffrey-sama
Soul gem
Soul gem
Wish: K-ON! Season 3

Post by Jeffrey-sama » Thu May 24, 2012 5:07 pm

akumaxx wrote:By the way, Mayu is the only one of being both a VA(of Chieri) and a chara(by Tamura Yukari).
That's a nice fact. (:
I've recently started to become a fan of Mayuyu (RL) and AKB48 in general, thanks to the anime.
I find almost all of the songs used thus far were really catchy, especially the OP.
Just like with THE [email protected], I think my music collection is gonna grow a lot by the end of this series.