Your Catchup Bucket

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Fuijiwara
[Ebb and Flow]
[Ebb and Flow]
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Worships: Fuijiwara no Mokou
Melon Pan: 2
Wish: Happiness~~

Re: Your Catchup Bucket

Post by Fuijiwara » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:59 am

Hanasaku Iroha Episode 1Show
The anime left a unique but nice impression. You have the typical teenage girl suddenly being sent off to work to support her life since her mother has uselessly left her on her own. It displays the harshness of life and how the grandmother prioritizes on customers first, she would slap someone due to their work disrupting the inn's customers.

Overall, nice enough to continue on
2015 SilversShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
kukimunstir
~Moon Rider~
~Moon Rider~
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Melon Pan: 211
2018 Female Favorite: Diamond
2018 Male Favorite: Ciel Phantomhive
Wish: to not get what i don't deserve & wildin'

Post by kukimunstir » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:53 am

Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live ENDShow
ITO X KOUJI END

I'M HAPPY NARU
still the best part was when Wakana and Ann confessed to Kazuki at the same time lmao. Kazuki you lucky doood!!! Best love triangle I've ever seen..
Gah I don't remember what happened to Bell and Hiro but I do hope they ended up together. Guess I need to rewatch the last episode
Not exactly a catch-up. I've finished watching Angel Beats! for the 2nd time. Ooyama-kun is my fav character :mrgreen: i ship him with tenshi
Now I'm watching Durararara again. Precious bishies
After all, to me the most important thing is that you're truthful - claire.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:40 pm

RailWarrior wrote:Here I was using "character" in the sense of unpredictability, something which, insofar, Medaka does not display and Shiranui does.

While I do sometimes indulge in some manga reading, I'm in the group of "adaptations need to be able to stand alone." Thus the manga is the manga, and the anime is a separate entity. From my viewpoint, canon is within the framework of the anime only. And as an additional note, any adaptation that needs the original work as a reference point is a failure.
I agree, Shiranui is unpredictable until you see why she's doing things, and then she becomes completely flat and boring. Medaka is a standard character archetype, It's been years since I've seen characters that were original in the sense of unpredictability for me.
Medaka Box is one of those adaptions that fails to be it's own work, there's several pieces of the animation that aren't understood because it skips over pieces of the manga that tells us important pieces.
SpoilerShow
That bloodbath in the final episode, didn't happen because of one of their abilities.
That character who showed up at the end, a major character.
Shiranui's job is just to be exactly Medaka's opposite.
RailWarrior wrote:I really need to stop starting new series and just finish one of the many on my "currently watching" list. But that's not happening so:
So Ra No Wo To Episode 1Show
There's a tendency for anime with all-female main cast to be plot-less and filled with blobs of moe. And, apparently, centered around music. I mean...Love Live, K-On, AKB0048...yeah...Add So Ra No Wo To to that list.

I won't be fooled by that seeming plot device of demons and flame maidens or whatever. In the end they're just gonna throw trumpet-playing moe blobs at me, pass that off as the plot, and disregard the importance of the said demons and maidens. Nope, not falling for these traps anymore!

Honestly, I hope I'm wrong and there actually is a plot.
Surprisingly, there is a plot, but you don't see it's existence for most of the series, and I don't believe the myth had any actual relevance.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto
2017 Female Favorite: Kanbe Kotori
2017 Male Favorite: Sakamaki Izayoi

Post by RailWarrior » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:57 pm

Medaka BoxShow
The story was actually really good, although events toward the final few episodes escalated a bit too quickly for comfort.

I'm split on how to feel about Medaka. Her berserk side is fun to watch, but when it comes to her "normal" side, I'm of the shorty's opinion. Thinking she can save everyone is just not viable, and even, to me, comes off as conceited in the worst way possible.

Overall, first half could have been better; second half was enjoyable.

Definitely going to watch Abnormal sometime soon
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:19 am

RailWarrior wrote:
Medaka BoxShow
The story was actually really good, although events toward the final few episodes escalated a bit too quickly for comfort.

I'm split on how to feel about Medaka. Her berserk side is fun to watch, but when it comes to her "normal" side, I'm of the shorty's opinion. Thinking she can save everyone is just not viable, and even, to me, comes off as conceited in the worst way possible.

Overall, first half could have been better; second half was enjoyable.

Definitely going to watch Abnormal sometime soon
Abnormal uses her special side more, and as one of the other character points out (to her I believe) her philosophy is unattainable, but she doesn't care. It's that it's unattainable that makes her want to strive for it, and it's what makes him follow her.
SpoilerShow
In the manga, she gets more 'special' sides. Just wish they'd animate more so we could see her hair when she changes.
houreki
~Lurking Terror~
~Lurking Terror~
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Melon Pan: 18
2019 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2019 Male Favorite: Bakugō Katsuki
2018 Male Favorite: Bakugō Katsuki
2017 Female Favorite: Nagato Yuki
2017 Male Favorite: Okazaki Tomoya

Post by houreki » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:05 pm

I finished watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and it's a surely masterpiece, highly recomendable.
Today I started with Evangelion so, it would be great if someone could tell me if it's better to watch the original serie or the movies.
ImageImage
SpoilerShow
Image ImageImage Thanks for all the awesome sigs :>
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:56 am

Kanon 2006 review/thoughts/rants.
Kanon 2006 Episodes 1-7 ("Common Route")Show
Well, Kyoto Animation definitely did a better job with the exposition than Toei had. The presentation of the Common Route is almost perfect. There's more of a visual novel feel here compared to its predecessor.
Of course, my favorite character is again the dandere, Kawasumi Mai, who's story also happens to be the most interesting.

8.5/10
Kanon 2006 Episodes 8-11 (Makoto Arc)Show
My problem with this is that Amano doesn't really add anything to the story. She's just there to explain stuff, and then ultimately ignored when the arc is over. She could very well have been replaced by Mai, who seems to know something and who actually is important.

For the story itself, good job. Very good job. Not flawless in every aspect, but it was flawless in it's execution, in my opinion.

9.2/10
Kanon 2006 Episodes 12-15 (Mai Arc) + Episode 16-17 (Middle of S…Show
It makes me sad that Mai's arc is placed this early with Shiori's arc right after. I don't like Ayu in the least, so I wanted at least either one of their arcs to take place before the final one so I wouldn't get too annoyed. Oh well.

Now, the logistical problem with Mai's arc occurring before Shiori's is the nature of Mai's story. I mean, really. Does no one consider that Mai can pretty much solve the whole ordeal without sweat? Well, they kind of avert that by dumping Mai into the hospital, but come on. At least consider Mai may have recovered somewhat? They don't even check up on her after the transition episode. I realize part of what I am saying stems from by bias for Mai, but the other part is fact.

Right, on the topic of transition episodes, I love that they added those instead of jumping directly from one route to another. The story flows nicely. The problem is that they did it incompletely. Transition episodes imply that each arc is taking place after the previous arcs, rather than in alternate universes. So why is Amano never heard from again? And why, as mentioned above, is Mai's ability not considered as a solution to Shiori's illness? After all, they make it a point to state Mai does retain her healing ability.

9/10
Kanon 2006 Episode 18 (Shiori Arc End)Show
Seriously? That was terrible. The scene between Kaori and Shiori lacked in the emotions department. Shiori's arc also ended on a stupid note. What happened to supposedly not living until her 16th birthday? Where was the hospitalization/death bed scene where the sisters have a heart-to-heart chat? Where was the feels?? First time I since starting this anime that I felt so disappointed at an episode.

5.6/10
Kanon 2006 Episode 19Show
THAT KISS MADE NO SENSE. ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE. WHO DECIDED TO PLACE THAT AT THE BEGINNING OF A STORY ARC?

Okay. Not only is Shiori's story cut short, but they're going to shaft Nayuki's route in favor of Ayu? That annoying stalker wannabe-innocent little girl? And they have the nerve to start off a route with a kiss before any sort of development? A kiss, story-wise, is suppose to be a culmination of emotions. But there were no emotions to work with. Ayu was never developed. We weren't given any scenes in which we can empathize with her. Also, was her random crying suppose to draw emotions? We don't even know why she was crying. Was that kiss suppose to be meaningful? You may want to explore Ayu's story more before pulling that crap, KyoAni.

3.5/10
Kanon 2006 Episode 20-24Show
These episodes do not exist.
Lolinekocchi
Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge
Worships: Enomoto Takane / Ene
Wish: To marry Hyuuga in Kancolle before her 'birthday'

Post by Lolinekocchi » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:16 pm

Choujigen Game Neptune 01-02
SpoilerShow
Quite fun. I love Blanc and her sisters so much already--- well maybe mostly because of them being a personification of Nintendo's gaming devices, eheh.

The fanservice and bouncy boobs can't be helped, but overall I liked this for the cuteness.
Currently busy with Teitoku works (read: Kancolle) and college.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:44 am

Quite enjoying So Ra No Wo To so far (episode 3). I had my doubts after episode 1, but glad I came back to it.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:40 am

Mayo ChikiShow
Recently, I've found myself unable to marathon any series I pick up, no matter how much I like it. So when a show does manage to make me do that, it's damn good.

Mayo Chiki took a genre I hate with a passion and turned it into something I actually enjoyed; that genre being gender bender. There's actually only one other gender bender that grabbed my interest, so shout out to Yamada-kun to Nana-nin no Majo.

Another thing that sets Mayo Chiki apart from other anime on my list is the fact that I cannot choose a favorite character. Both Suzutsuki Kanade and Konoe Subaru are well-done characters.

I can't say much for the animation. It's fairly average. As is the soundtrack.

My one complaint is the final episode. Completely unnecessary and, quite frankly, stupid.

Story: 7.7
Characters: 8.3
Animation: 6.2
Sound: 6.5
Performance in genre (gender-bender): 9.5
Enjoyment: 9
Now, more about So Ra No Wo To

And after 5 episodes, I had finally realized why Sorami Kanata looked so familiar.
SpoilerShow
This is seriously how Onodera-imouto will look like in the anime:
After 7 episodes, I noticed I never once skipped the OP. So I finally looked into who composed the song, and to my surprise it was Kajiura Yuki. Seriously, I had been wondering if I was just biased toward her songs because, you know, it's Kajiura, but this proved her style really does fit my musical taste.
kanohistorm
Electromaster
Electromaster
Worships: Erika Sendou
Melon Pan: 181
Wish: a kookie?

Post by kanohistorm » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:17 am

rewatching School Rumble
spoiler alert :3
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:46 am

So Ra No Wo ToShow
This was unexpectedly good. It also has a lot of re-watch value since things get really confusing at times until the plot is all brought together in the final 2 episodes.

My one complaint off the top of my head is that Filicia's backstory is not explored as in-depth as the rest of the main cast's.

Story: 7
Characters: 6.5
Animation: 7.2
Sound: 8.5
Enjoyment: 6
Now on to Kotoura-san
Episode 1Show
Ah, so this is a series with "forced romance for the sake of story" rather than a series with a more natural progression.

Damn, those first 10 minutes were amazing...and then it becomes nothing more than a generic romance. WHY??
Episode 2-7Show
Sigh. Just once, I would like an actual portrayal of what it would be like to have a passive mind-reading ability. The thoughts she is reading seem so fake, staged, and exaggerated, and obviously meant to draw emotion, that I can't even suspend my disbelief. I don't care how much Manabe likes Kotoura; he's not going to be thinking about her 100% of the time.

Also, Manabe is one of the hugest douches I have seen. If it's for comedic effect, I'm not amused.
Episode 9Show
THANK YOU. Oh my god the last scene was so satisfying. Kotoura-kaasan is my favorite character now for the sole reason that she beat the crap out of Manabe. Seriously, does no else fucking actually care that this guy is a vulgar asshole?
Final ThoughtsShow
Kotoura-san is a romantic comedy; as such, it is for the most part lighthearted and heartwarming. I can see how it can have a calming effect on the viewer. It just didn't have that same effect on me.
1. The romance felt way too forced and just not interesting to watch.
2. Moritani is made the butt of every joke. I honestly didn't find humor at the emotional pain she went through every time Manabe, or some other cast member, insulted her.
3. I also didn't find humor in Manabe teasing Kotoura with perverted thoughts; that's plain rude, not funny.
Lolinekocchi
Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge
Worships: Enomoto Takane / Ene
Wish: To marry Hyuuga in Kancolle before her 'birthday'

Post by Lolinekocchi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:43 am

Choujigen Game Neptune 08
SpoilerShow
Fanservice episode. The idea of R-18 island made me lol but... hmm.

The thing I kinda dislike about this series is sometimes they skipped around a lot. Like... uhm, how Pururut and Peashy was introduced. Thankfully it's still fun. I wish they won't skip around in 9th episode since it looks like Peashy's being kidnapped. 4 more episodes before ending!
Currently busy with Teitoku works (read: Kancolle) and college.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:11 am

Date A LiveShow
Pretty typical harem plot. Protagonist gets the girls due to an unlikely ability he alone has. Whatever.

For the characters...Tooka, stop playing the victim. Origami, chill out a little. Kotori, more white ribbon scenes. Kurumi, chill out a lot. Yoshino, cry more. Mana, why were you sidelined?

What I love most about Date A Live is all the parallels that can be drawn to NouKome
Fuijiwara
[Ebb and Flow]
[Ebb and Flow]
Badges:
ImageImageImage
Worships: Fuijiwara no Mokou
Melon Pan: 2
Wish: Happiness~~

Post by Fuijiwara » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:13 am

Hanasaku Iroha - OverallShow
A fantastic anime overall. The art design in it is very realistic and really pportrays how rustic Kissuso is. The certain scenes look good, though the lighting might be a bit brighter since its always at night when the certain scenes occur. Character-wise, Tomoe turned out to be a much better character than I expected. Satuski knows when to utilize herself and Sui is really a great character. The three main characters seemed expected, though. The males should have been characterized more though. Takako should also have been given more screentime. The story was mainly to start at Tokyo and end at Tokyo. The opening and ending suited the calmness and peace this anime is. Overall:

Artwork- 8/10
Story-6/10
Characters-7.5/10
Music-8/10
Enjoyment Level- 8.5/10

Overall, 7.5/10

A decent anime overall and recommended to watch.
2015 SilversShow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:47 am

M3: Sono Kuroki HaganeShow
There's a saying that first impressions are everything. This was not the case for me when it came to M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane. By the end of the series, all my first impressions were turned a complete 180. All of them, from impressions on the story to impressions of the characters. The first cour was terrible, but the second cour really picks up the plot. The characters are initially one of the most dislikable cast out there, but slowly grew on me through well-done character development.

There are flaws though. Probably what stands out the most is the fact that Iwato and Raika add absolutely nothing to the story. They're just there to say "Oh, hey, not everyone is going to turn into Necrometal (Shibagane)." A shame, as their relationship is one of my favorites.

And the ending. The ending was beautiful. Yes, it was a typical epilogue to wrap up the story, but that's one epilogue more than we got from Captain Earth.
Date A Live IIShow
I'm all for having a main heroine in a harem, but when that heroine is forced at me at every single turn, it gets annoying. The rest of the girls should not just be mere decoration once their arc is over. That's just extremely bad writing; why even introduce them in the first place if you're going to ignore them forever after?

The biggest example of this is Yoshino, who literally does nothing but sit around.

To a lesser extent, Origami is a victim too. It's insane how many times she has had a chance to take the spotlight only to be obstructed by some stupid excuses of a plot point (said plot point being named Jessica and Ellen). To name an example, she was supposed to take the stage on vocals at the Tenou Festival, but instead had to go behind the scenes to save the day for a group of thankless and unappreciating people.

Oh, and Mana who received zero screen time for some 10-odd episodes (carrying over episodes from season 1).

I don't care if Tooka is the main girl. That's no excuse to create an unbalanced harem.

Gonna give this a 6.5/10, but honestly it'd be around 7.4 there was a balanced harem. As it stands, Date A Live fails in the Character Development department and in the Harem Genre.
Tokyo ESPShow
There's not much to say about this. The storytelling and composition was shit. Episode 1 managed to spoil the story more than anyone who read the manga could ever hope to spoil. The animation was god-awful, with consistent recycling of scenes. The soundtrack, meh.

The characters...well, let me just sum up Rinka and Kyoutarou.

Rinka: "What would Azuma do in this situation?"
Kyoutarou: "What would Rinka-san do if she were in this situation?"

Gee, no wonder it takes so long for these people to take action. They get stuck in an infinite loop whenever they have to make a decision.

Story: 4
Characters: 5
Animation: 3.5
Sound: 5.5
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Futakoi Alternative Episode 1: The BEST anime of 2005?Show
THIS. is. AMAZING. Like, Holy Hell, is this seriously an anime from 2005? What other obscure titles am I missing out on from that era?

OKay, fine. Not without flaws. I found a problem with the first few minutes finding the need to draw in an audience with white, slimy tentacles and...you get the drift. It was also completely pointless scene in the overall story (unless the characters have relevance later on). HOWEVER, and this is a big however, the action animation displayed there was phenomenal. It rivals even some of the animation we're getting in the present day. The purpose may just be to draw in an audience, but it worked. It really worked.
Last edited by RailWarrior on Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:11 am

Futakoi Alternative Episode 2-5 pseudo-ReviewShow
Nope. Spoke too soon. It seems all the budget was thrown into the opening theme sequence and episode 1. From episode 2 on to episode 5, the animation is reminiscent of any other circa 2005 anime. You got extended still frames, obligatory chibi/super-deformed art, recycled scenes, etc. However, I can't really take points off for animation that lived up to the standards of its time.

With that said, there is one aspect of anime that lives outside of time--music. The soundtrack is really amazing. Maybe not amazing as a standalone listen, but amazing in that each piece enhances the scene in which they are played.

The characters are...well...fun. Weird way to describe characters, but it's true; they're fun to watch. There is no one particularly dislikable. The series does not go out of it's way to force some pseudo-NTR drama into the story by introducing competition for our main twins, nor is our protagonist at any time unfaithful to them.

I hope my words don't come back to bite me in the later episodes
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:58 am

Watched episodes 1 to 5 of Girls und Panzer: Yukari's Tank Corner:
tl;drShow
Basically it's about historical tidbits and trivia about the tanks used in the show.

Well, even though Yukari got a detail or two wrong in one episode, she manages to correct herself in a later episode. I'm looking forward to her exposition about WWII Germany's "big cats" (Tiger I and II, Porsche Tiger and Panther) and WWII Italian armor (featured in the Anzio OVA).
Also doing a 1080p rewatch of Gundam 00. (Sadly, I'm enjoying this more than the currently airing Reconguista In G. :frown:)

As for Love Live! season 2... *sighs* I'm gonna be stuck with the 720p TV version for a while.
"Rip and Tear. Rip and tear until it's done."
"To the good people I met on this site (Kordosa, Minhtam, Crisu, Maglor, Desufire, Momo, Marinara, Midnight-Jasper, Hikarin, Momento10, Shiraoky, Alex, Bastion, Superunature, Demi., Sedon, xcrossfacekillahx, Silver21, CureRainbow) thank you for the nice memories."
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:15 pm

Futakoi Alternative General ThoughtsShow
Well that was an extremely fun ride. Futakoi Alternative really embodies the insanity we see in many of romantic comedies released in the Pre-Moe Era.

Basically, almost everything I said in the episode 2-5 review carries over to the rest of the episodes, except for one comment. Alternative really does evolve into an NTR drama, with Sara getting taken away from Rentarou. I can't say I enjoyed that; it was annoying. I wanted the anime to stick with a relaxed relationship for our main characters.

Just a little addendum: I have not watched the original Futakoi.
Next on the list is Carnival Phantasm. Watched the first two episodes and...I'm probably enjoying this more than I should.