Your Catchup Bucket

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Karob
Seitokaichou
Seitokaichou
Badges:
Worships: ♪♫~
Melon Pan: 55
2019 Female Favorite: Ichigo
2019 Male Favorite: Azusagawa Sakuta
2018 Female Favorite: Jeanne d'Arc
2018 Male Favorite: Saiki Kusuo
Wish: At the end of all our lives, to be able to say, "it was worth it".

Re: Your Catchup Bucket

Post by Karob » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:14 am

All anime is shit and when you stop liking anime because you are tired of the same old tricks you are just being a shit and when you actually like an anime because they're using the same old tricks then you've become a shit and the moral of the story is everything is shit.

That was my best Kholdy impression I hope you like it. :3

These should be spoiler-free:

Humanity Has Declined (Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita)
This is one of those works that are painted with generally bright colors and happy designs, yet are full of darkness and criticsm, delivered as casually as if it were a pizza you had ordered. Though, perhaps, the comparison only holds if it is normal for pizza to talk back to you. The protagonist is a clever, calm, cute, friendly, and critical girl who mediates between the declining human population and the scheming fairies, or something like that. The protagonist's personality, and the humour of the series in general, are quite personally appealing to me. I've only watched the first four episodes so far.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
It's been, what, three years since I started watching this highly-regarded anime, and now I've seen seven whole episodes. Heh. I guess it's pretty good. I've always found it to be a depressing show, though I was more depressed by a certain few episodes of Magi. (FWIW I do like the Magi anime.)

Assassination Classroom (Ansatsu Kyoushitsu)
I've always been put-off by the previews I've seen of this, but it's actually kind of interesting, even if very anticipatable. I'm only three episodes in, and I expect my opinion to decline as I continue. Either that, or I'll begin fantasizing about having a yellow octopus alien sensei of my own, at which point all respectable sections of my brain will have either ceased functioning or have disappeared behind a defense perimeter, never to be heard from again.

A Certain Magical Index (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
Very intriguing, though I prefer the flow of railgun (sans a certain girl's "sister complex"). The first few episodes depressed me quite a bit (heh, seeing the pattern yet?), but it seems to be taking on a slightly lighter tone now. Maybe?

That's it for now. I can't even remember what else I've seen "recently". I'm tired. --__--
MyAnimeListAniListProjects
"The right answer is to never stop thinking." ~Seikaisuru Kado
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto

Post by RailWarrior » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:28 am

TIME TO RE-WATCH D.GRAY-MAN OVER WINTER BREAK
Tokei Shikake Tenshi
Rogue
Rogue
Worships: Yuki Kajiura
Wish: Chocolate sundaes

Post by Tokei Shikake Tenshi » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:46 am

Decided to catch up with Magi, Pandora Hearts and Ao Haru Ride. Seriously, I'm probably the one here who's least inexperienced at anime. -_- So dumb...
ImageThanks to Hikari-chan for the amazing signature!
Gyate~Show
Image Image Image
Meguca, Donut-chan and Neptune
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Badges:
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:48 am

Karob wrote:All anime is shit and when you stop liking anime because you are tired of the same old tricks you are just being a shit and when you actually like an anime because they're using the same old tricks then you've become a shit and the moral of the story is everything is shit.
Hey that's not fair. I enjoyed a lot of anime, some even aired this season. Shirobako is a 10/10 anime that is in my opinion the best anime I've ever watched. Euphonium is also a well-paced anime with interesting characters. But all other anime this year are shit though.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings, ISML Discord, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Karob
Seitokaichou
Seitokaichou
Badges:

Post by Karob » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:32 am

Tsumikitty wrote:
Karob wrote:All anime is shit and when you stop liking anime because you are tired of the same old tricks you are just being a shit and when you actually like an anime because they're using the same old tricks then you've become a shit and the moral of the story is everything is shit.
Hey that's not fair. I enjoyed a lot of anime, some even aired this season. Shirobako is a 10/10 anime that is in my opinion the best anime I've ever watched. Euphonium is also a well-paced anime with interesting characters. But all other anime this year are shit though.
Hmm, I guess I'll have to check those out some time.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:03 pm

Okay, here we are.
Chobits.
Me & My Caressable Personal Gadget - Episode 1-4Show
I want a Sumomo!

ps.: Luckily it's Sugita. Just the perfect troll-yet-manly voice you would want for this MC.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Just
[Kiwi's Melon]
[Kiwi's Melon]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Melon Pan: 0
Wish: May children never suffer.

Post by Just » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:51 pm

Umaru-chanShow
I want an imouto like that :<
SpoilerShow
Image Image Image Image Image Image
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:15 am

D.Gray-man Episodes 1-18Show
Been 7 years since I last laid eyes on you~

Wow, the first few episodes were rather slow. AND THERE'S SO MANY THINGS I DON'T REMEMBER EVER HAPPENING, LIKE WOW, did Miranda really initially look like that!? And my memories of the Dark Boots were that of badassery, but Lenalee's just jumping on heads ~.~ Oh well, guess I gotta wait for her synchronization to increase~ (And also that OTHER boost).

KOMURIN. THAT'S THE THING I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO THE MOST ON THIS RE-WATCH. WOOOO~~~~~~~

Now time to wait for good ol' "Brightdown"
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:55 am

Aria the Avvenire Chapter 1Show
More Aria, always welcomed. Honestly, though, this episode didn't really pack any punch. It was just a thing that happened and is now over with (until chapters 2 and 3).

I'm glad the birthday question I've had ever since the beginning is finally answered.
Kiwigiwi
[Apteryx mantelli]
[Apteryx mantelli]
Badges:
ImageImageImageImage
Worships: Death
Melon Pan: 81
Wish: hehehe......poggers....

Post by Kiwigiwi » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:07 pm

Death Parade EP 1Show
Oh wow.. for such an interesting and mysterious concept they sure have a really ill-fitting and upbeat opening. Not sure if the mood will lighten up later or something but I'm liking the premise so far.

♡ Secret Santa Daisuki ♡
SecretsShow
♫ Much love to my secret santa of 2016 ♥
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:36 am

Madlax Episodes 1-5Show
I am like...not invested at all in this anime. At least, not yet. It's just that there's something charming about cel-shaded animation. It's impossible to come by in present time, and I find that...kinda a shame. But hey, I have no art vocabulary, so leaving it at that.
TYxTxYT
Dango daikazoku
Dango daikazoku
Worships: Takamachi Nanoha

Post by TYxTxYT » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:10 pm

I'm currently on the 9th episode of Maria-sama ga Miteru S2
Glorious ride so far, I expect more.
lolcatstheotaku
Season faery
Season faery
Wish: i wish karen kujou can join next time

Post by lolcatstheotaku » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:49 am

Ben-toShow
Very creative! needs more romcom and kyou

kyou is best girl nuff said.

4/10

Myaninmelist: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Lolcats1997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:37 pm

A rewatch, a new point of view
Amagi Brilliant ParkShow
You know, I've been wondering. AmaBuri is a pretty good series but I didn't get the excitement and the comedy I was expecting a first run. Only after I rewatched it in full I managed to enjoy it.
I've been wondering why didn't I enjoy it first, to be honest. First I thought: maybe because it's Kanie-kun. The handsome type male MC is just not my preference. Same case happened when I watched the first episodes of Code Geass. I was not able to fully enjoy the series until Lelouch used his Zero avatar, rendering his handsome feature useless. But my first impression of Kanie-kun, to be honest, is already repaired by episode 4 (the one scene where he went into the Ferris Wheel with Latifa. That episode did a lot of good, to be honest.) So I should have been able to enjoy the rest of the show by then. But I didn't. The episodes where the Muse is trapped inside the castle was the only one I could enjoy fully from the first.. The rest was okay, but that's it. Not even the three clowns that was supposed to be the main joke along the way can help me.

So, I happened to redownload D-Frag! and rewatched it yesterday. I enjoy D-Frag! despite the show being so chaotic it almost has no form. D-Frag!'s slapstick comedy is what brings me back to AmaBuri. After comparing the two, I finally realized what was missing in AmaBuri that made it as less enjoyable as I would have liked. It's the comedy. AmaBuri is supposed to be a slapstick comedy and it does look like it has lots of slapstick comedies. But the comedy is too smart to retain its slapstick status. Everything hilarious scenes have at least an explanation of why it gets that way. It's just normal comedy, not slapstick comedy where some random, stupid, not-making-any-sense jokes happen.
Now, one would understand why things in a story happens when the story-telling is good. This, I think, is the case of Amagi Brilliant Park: it was too good of a story-telling. Kyoto Animation, well-known for its anime's beautiful art and elaborate story-telling, is one studio we could trust to make sure they always do their best in everything. Amagi Brilliant Park has quite an interesting drama behind all its comedy and jokes. So: KyoAni wanted both elements of the show to be well-delivered and found a way to do so, but in return, some of its slapstick element is missing. And thus, cutting the enjoyment I (and perhaps a few other people) should have had during the first run.

In short: A story told so good it lost some of its excitement. What an unfortunate turn of events.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Karob
Seitokaichou
Seitokaichou
Badges:

Post by Karob » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:52 am

^ Sylphy is all the comedy I need in a show. :P
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Badges:
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:29 am

Finished Sakurako-san
sakurako-san no ashimoto ni wa SHITai ga umatteiruShow
This is an interesting one for me since it started off very good. And in the end, it was...well, good. I thought all the mysteries were decently unexpected and well executed. However, the character development of the main characters in the series were very...predictable. I saw it all coming even down to the, "You won't lose" "How are you so sure?" "Because you have such an excellent assistant". Aside from the two main characters, I thought the "sensei" was good...until the end where he becomes overly dramatic, which is completely understandable, but still completely predictable and boring. Yuriko remains to be an interesting character with a nice personality...mostly because she didn't do much for the final mystery. Still, all the stories were great. Depending on what happens second season, this will be tentatively 6.5/10.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings, ISML Discord, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
lischan
Season faery
Season faery
Worships: Isaac & Miria

Post by lischan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:48 am

I intended to watch Aria the Animation but instead I ended up watching anime with my siblings, so my Catch-Up Bucket has 1 episode of Aria, a completed Yamada-Kun and the Seven Witches, a partially completed Pandora Hearts and a partially completed One Punch Man.
Yamada-KunShow
The concept initially turned me off but I ended up quite liking the series, I think mostly because all the characters are really likeable. Yamada and Toranosuke are great and I quite like Urara and Nene too! I hope I'll see them in isml next year! I've heard that the manga continues the story, does anyone here know if it's worth picking up?
7/10
For Pandora Hearts and One Punch Man, I'll comment when I finish them. My siblings have gone back away so I'll have to finish them in my own time though :frown: It's so much more fun watching with other people!!
Thanks Hikari-chan!! :love:
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:55 pm

lischan wrote:
Yamada-KunShow
The concept initially turned me off but I ended up quite liking the series, I think mostly because all the characters are really likeable. Yamada and Toranosuke are great and I quite like Urara and Nene too! I hope I'll see them in isml next year! I've heard that the manga continues the story, does anyone here know if it's worth picking up?
7/10
!
I was reading the manga, and I thought it was decent enough to keep on, until the third set of'witches.
I don't know how far the anime went, but at some point it became apparent that it was just going for money. I hope the anime stops before it gets to that point too.
Urara and Yamada stay good characters, along with the rest of them though.
lischan
Season faery
Season faery

Post by lischan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:16 am

Bastion wrote:
lischan wrote:
Yamada-KunShow
7/10
!
I was reading the manga, and I thought it was decent enough to keep on, until the third set of'witches.
I don't know how far the anime went, but at some point it became apparent that it was just going for money. I hope the anime stops before it gets to that point too.
Urara and Yamada stay good characters, along with the rest of them though.
Third set of witches?! The anime didn't go that far at all! I felt the anime concluded the story quite well, actually, so I was surprised to find out that the manga continued. I don't know whether a second anime season is set, but if the characters are still quite worth it, maybe I'll try reading the manga. Thank you Bastion! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
lischan
Season faery
Season faery

Post by lischan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:21 am

I finally got around to making a MAL. It's not complete, there are a few series more I'm sure I've seen, but it's a start! :bigsmile: