Your Catchup Bucket

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto

Re: Your Catchup Bucket

Post by RailWarrior » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:09 pm

Slice-of-lifes are fine. They're fun, relaxing stuff. But then again, that may just be because this season is filled with amazing ones, namely Non non Biyori Repeat and Working!!! (and Joukamachi no Dandelion, but that's more merely my preference than something that's widely acclaimed).

And Shirobako is indeed amazing. I agree that there's a lot of terminology drops, though. But at one point (iirc), even Aoi herself asks what exactly the production desk does. That's when it became clear this wasn't just going to cater to the knowledgeable folk. The viewer learns alongside Aoi about all the positions. I've seen a lot of people say Shirobako isn't a starter anime, and while I see how that's the case, I still kinda disagree with that.
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:41 pm

As I said many times, it's all about a first impression. Many people (understandably) will not give an anime past one episode if they are not hooked by it. I am one of those people, mainly because I have a quota of the number of anime I can watch each season due to school and work. There's a reason why I'm only now watching Shirobako and it's summer break. I'm torn, because I do not want a slower start since I think the immediate fast pacing is one of the best points of the anime so far. I think it's probably fine the way it is.

While Shirobako is definitely not just for the knowledgeable folk, I also wouldn't call it a starter anime. And what's wrong with that? Watch a few anime before you watch Shirobako, simple.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
JeanKyuubi
Ninja cadet
Ninja cadet

Post by JeanKyuubi » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:59 am

Good nights, excuse me, just i want to know your favorite anime girl from the Sora no Otoshimono's anime. Please tell me your top of this. Thanks for your help.
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:54 am

Shirobako 4-6Show
If anyone bothers to read this, I already know your reaction. "He doesn't need to update us every 3 episodes you know." Yeah I know.

The pace slows down quite dramatically, but the anime remains just as interesting as before. In fact, even with the slower pacing you can still clearly feel the stress and panic the characters are undergoing, which is quite impressive. Now what did I learn from these episodes? Well, from the first 3 I really do wonder what happens if you can't get an episode done in time. And the answer seems to be a recap episode. I see these from now and then, and yeah they are slightly annoying. But now, I think it's almost completely understandable, and it can be aptly summarized as, "Shit happens." Another thing I noticed when checking out someone is how they were only an animation director for only 3 or 4 episodes of an anime. I often wondered why they're not in charge of the entire anime. Well, now I know.

Personally, I don't have a favorite main character yet, so I'm still sticking to Erika as my favorite. I absolutely love the college/workplace setting once again, and the short reunion was very pleasant to watch. The one thing about this anime is that at the end of an "arc" when there is some sort of resolution, it feels so satisfying! This makes sense since while watching you're probably as stressed out as the characters, so the rewards are high. An interesting consequence is that I've never considered watching anime as a serious hobby. But now, I think I'm more appreciative of how much enjoyment anime in general has given me.

PS: While doing explosions as CG is absolutely fine, people who watched LL or AKB0048 would know that when CGs are applied to humans, shit gets bad.
Shirobako 7-12Show
I'm convinced this anime is a true masterpiece. It has everything from suspense, feels, good plot, excellent characters, motivational, excellent pacing, memorable, informative, and excitement. I don't need to go into my details, but I now have a new-found appreciation for anime. A lot of people already said that and I kinda expected it, but I didn't expect to get hit by it so hard. My favorite scene so far is when the director finishes how he wanted the anime to end, and the characters themselves appear to him and thank him for the good work. While this is a really cheesy scene, it connected to me because the only way the director was able to imagine this is only if he is very passionate about anime and his job.

PS: All those anime/studio references though! And I only got about half of them.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:51 am

RailWarrior wrote:1) I don't give a shit about what ISML thinks and which characters makes it in.
2) The fuck? How's that being hypocritical? That's merely saying the final score I give for an anime isn't based on some rubric. No where does it imply I don't give a shit about an enjoyable story.
3) Do you live in a black-and-white world? I don't. Hating something and accepting that same thing are not mutually exclusive. I don't hate harems because they're harems; I hate them because the protagonist is almost assured to be indecisive in who he chooses. That doesn't mean the anime would have nothing else going for it, though. Again, DanMachi--arguably a harem, but devoid of a myriad of obtrusive romantic persuances; rather, the anime is almost completely story-driven, which is what makes it good.
1.) Then why join here if not to find out which anime has the cutest/best girls or something like that? There are always better sources of anime info than this place in that regard.

2.) It's your harsh wording that makes it sound hypocritical. It's easy to misconstrue "Little regard to story" as "I don't give a shit about the story." (And nothing in that statement implies that you do care about the story.)

If you really are saying that you don't give a shit about an anime's story, then you're already missing the point of watching an anime. Sure, there are other elements (gorgeous animation, interesting characters, etc.) that can keep a show going, but it can only go so far without a good story.

3.) I just prefer clarity, that's all. I know I'm not living in a black-and-white world as much as you'd like to claim, but that doesn't mean I can't ask for some sense of clarity (and less ambiguity) in this increasingly grey-and-gray environment.
"Rip and Tear. Rip and tear until it's done."
"To the good people I met on this site (Kordosa, Minhtam, Crisu, Maglor, Desufire, Momo, Marinara, Midnight-Jasper, Hikarin, Momento10, Shiraoky, Alex, Bastion, Superunature, Demi., Sedon, xcrossfacekillahx, Silver21, CureRainbow) thank you for the nice memories."
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:10 am

Hello all,

I have finished this anime called "Shirobako" and I would like to give a detailed review about it. Please enjoy.
ShirobakoShow
This anime is a flawless masterpiece.

10/10
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:07 am

Log Horizon 1-6Show
Good show. Interesting. I keep wanting to watch the next episode. I don't care if you guys say S2 is shit. I enjoy ninja-tan right now and that's all that matters.
Log Horizon 7-10Show
Whew... So this is what a better SAO that doesn't have shit plot feels like. gg

PS: I want my personal loli ninja too.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
blaZofgold
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
Worships: God, the real one
Wish: Murphy's Law not to be always true

Post by blaZofgold » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:16 am

Mystia wrote:Hello all,

I have finished this anime called "Shirobako" and I would like to give a detailed review about it. Please enjoy.
ShirobakoShow
This anime is a flawless masterpiece.

10/10
Hell yea
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Post by Bastion » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:06 pm

Mystia wrote:
Log Horizon 1-6Show
Good show. Interesting. I keep wanting to watch the next episode. I don't care if you guys say S2 is shit. I enjoy ninja-tan right now and that's all that matters.
Log Horizon 7-10Show
Whew... So this is what a better SAO that doesn't have shit plot feels like. gg

PS: I want my personal loli ninja too.
I love your comment about LH 7-10, similar to mine and why I'm looking forward to actually being able to watch S2 in a few weeks.
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:10 am

Log Horizon (final)Show
It's not an exaggeration that the first two arcs (1-20) were really good, probably 9/10 material. However, I have a problem how the last 5 episodes. The Minori/Akatsuki/Shiroe love triangle was ridiculous and stupid. I did not want the anime to take this direction. I actually wanted some break from action and have some slice of life episodes, but this was definitely NOT what I had in mind. Someone said that Minori's contribution helped nudge Akatsuki along, and that's a good point. But it still resulted in absolutely nothing more between Shiroe and Akatsuki, so that's about 2-3 episodes that are "lost" and could have been something else. Of course I'm attacking the author of LH, not the adaptation.

So what would I have wanted for the last 5 episodes? I wanted to see Shiroe do some simple things with his guild mates, furthering their relationship, especially with the new members. And then for the last episodes, still have the encounter with Nureha like normal and prepare to next season. I had no problem with that by the way. It was a good transition and preparation for the next journey. I just question the majority of episodes 21-24.

Events that happen near the end of anime often influence how I feel about the anime more, since they are what makes that anime memorable. So verdict? Still much better than SAO ending lolol. I will give it a 7/10 for being a good anime. Now let's see what season 2 has to offer. That's something I was not able to say after watching DAL.

PS: This anime would've been so epic with Fairy Tail BGM music.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
lolcatstheotaku
Season faery
Season faery
Wish: i wish karen kujou can join next time

Post by lolcatstheotaku » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:47 am

Air episode 1-4Show
so far this anime still confuses me on certain parts.
my progress is slow when it comes to watching air, i atleast watch 1 ep per month. still seeing that it is a key anime i will still continue to pursue on watching this one

Myaninmelist: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Lolcats1997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smartboyhw
[Future Overlord]
[Future Overlord]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Isshiki Iroha
Melon Pan: 0
2018 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
2018 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
Wish: Shichimiya Satone, Aoyama Nanami and Nakano Azusa to win an ISML prize, Inaba Himeko to win BGC and live in Sakura-sō

Post by smartboyhw » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:54 am

No Game No Life (1-12)Show
Hmm...
1. I'm stupid. I really lack the game sense completely.
2. This is the first anime where I PRETTY MUCH LIKE EVERY SINGLE GIRL IN THERE.

Character (both male and female): 10/10, Overall score: 9/10.

Order:
Dola >>>>>>>>>>> Jibril >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shiro = Izuna >>>>>>>>> Anybody else.

Unfortunately poor Dola isn't enough to challenge Satone's Nova favourite position though.

NOW RANDOM.ORG PLEASE BE NICE AND PUT DOLA AS PRESIDENT I WANT TO SEE THAT SORT OF CHAOS
ImageImage

Let me teach you something: We humans... Even for 10 minutes... We cannot even wait that long! - Nakamura Yuri, Angel Beats!
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:21 pm

Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na KotoShow
Pretty hit or miss. As with many other 2003 and prior anime, I find the atmosphere really solemn, and I don't like that. But I did manage to get past episode 1 and complete the series.

The title doesn't lie. Series is pretty much about what it means to be able to use magic in an otherwise normal world. It's not about how magic affects society, it's about how the magic you use to affect society affects you. What is more important: fulfilling a clients request, or making sure said client is happy even if it means twisting said request as you see fit?

I think this series does a good job. 6/10.
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no SoraShow
After the first episode, I was 99% sure I would like this way more than its parent story. After the 9th episode, I was 100% sure. Of course, since I'm saying this, that means after the 10th episode, my disappointment skyrocketed. Exploring life as a theme, sure, why not? Throwing in main character death drama out of the blue? FUCK YOU.

3/10. Shit ending. God damn.
lolcatstheotaku
Season faery
Season faery
Wish: i wish karen kujou can join next time

Post by lolcatstheotaku » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:36 pm

Love Live! School Idol ProjectShow
Just finished it, it was unexpectedly good, i thought it was one of those common boring cute girls does cute stuff....... wait.... i think i have been brainwashed by the uncountable amount of moeness so my judgement is really cloudy... ill update it when i have a mind that has less maki on it..

Myaninmelist: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Lolcats1997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:
Melon Pan: 55
2019 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2019 Male Favorite: Levi
2018 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2018 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma

Post by Homura » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:59 pm

Nerawareta GakuenShow
Sort of regret watching this. Though the movie was made beautiful in terms of art and animation, the plot gives plenty of confusion. Or at least I don't get it after watching it once.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by RailWarrior » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:57 am

Sketchbook ~full color's~Show
The last episode was trying too hard to be a conclusion, and I didn't like it. It was a boring episode that ended the anime on a really low note. The rest of the anime is nice--relaxing, for the most part. Sora's frequent mumbling and failure to produce words gets frustrating at times, though.

Overall, 6/10.
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:31 am

Log Horizon S2Show
sigh...

So... Before we can discuss S2, let's talk about why I enjoyed S1 so much. I enjoyed watching the Shiroe solve problems and take complete control of any situation in a surprising way. For example, buying the guild hall, I didn't expect that. Training Minori to be a strategist, sending them to training camp, that was really fun to watch and see the little ones grow. So what happened in S2? None of that. Frankly, Shiroe's only move for the first 24 episodes was his big buy, but that's totally different from anything he did S1. When he said he needs 5 trillion gold, I immediately thought, "Okay that sounds like he wants to buy all of Yamato, but it's probably something more interesting." NOPE THAT WAS IT; MY INITIAL GUESS WAS EXACTLY WHAT HE DID. This plot development pretty much kills Shiroe's character and made most of the season boring to watch. There was no big reveal; there was no suspense. It was just blah.

Oh and fuck Tetra. I seriously wanted to mute the anime every time she talks. Having such an annoying addition absolutely did not help.

So what did I like? The raid was nice. I liked seeing Shiroe create strategies, but it didn't make up for the absolutely boring everything else that happened. Most notably, S2 is the exact opposite of S1 in terms of entertainment. I loved most of S1 and hated S1's ending because it was a load of nothing except a love triangle. I hated most of S2 and loved S2's ending. I like the overall atmosphere of S2's ending, Shiroe's resolve and the path he wants to take. So I guess...it ended up being okay? Eh... I guess 6/10 but just barely.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:37 am

smartboyhw wrote:
Hmm...

Order:
Dola >>>>>>>>>>> Jibril >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shiro = Izuna >>>>>>>>> Anybody else.

Unfortunately poor Dola isn't enough to challenge Satone's Nova favourite position though.

NOW RANDOM.ORG PLEASE BE NICE AND PUT DOLA AS PRESIDENT I WANT TO SEE THAT SORT OF CHAOS
Oh smartie finished it finally?
Okay, time to recruit him

Interested in joining #JIBRIL4AMETHYST ?
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
smartboyhw
[Future Overlord]
[Future Overlord]
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Isshiki Iroha
Melon Pan: 0
2018 Female Favorite: Isshiki Iroha
2018 Male Favorite: Killua Zoldyck
Wish: Shichimiya Satone, Aoyama Nanami and Nakano Azusa to win an ISML prize, Inaba Himeko to win BGC and live in Sakura-sō

Post by smartboyhw » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:39 am

Reverend wrote:
smartboyhw wrote:
Hmm...

Order:

HAH!? Check the results thread. I think I included that already?
ImageImage

Let me teach you something: We humans... Even for 10 minutes... We cannot even wait that long! - Nakamura Yuri, Angel Beats!
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:50 am

smartboyhw wrote:
Reverend wrote:
smartboyhw wrote:
Hmm...

Order:

HAH!? Check the results thread. I think I included that already?
Okay. My bad.
:onion61:
this is what happens if you read too many thread at the same time
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~