Your Catchup Bucket

Discuss any anime in general, ISML or not. Please be mindful of spoilers and use spoiler tags!
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:
Melon Pan: 50
Wish: People who actually want to do their jobs.

Re: Your Catchup Bucket

Post by Bastion » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:39 pm

Mystia wrote:
Log Horizon S2Show
sigh...

So... Before we can discuss S2, let's talk about why I enjoyed S1 so much. I enjoyed watching the Shiroe solve problems and take complete control of any situation in a surprising way. For example, buying the guild hall, I didn't expect that. Training Minori to be a strategist, sending them to training camp, that was really fun to watch and see the little ones grow. So what happened in S2? None of that. Frankly, Shiroe's only move for the first 24 episodes was his big buy, but that's totally different from anything he did S1. When he said he needs 5 trillion gold, I immediately thought, "Okay that sounds like he wants to buy all of Yamato, but it's probably something more interesting." NOPE THAT WAS IT; MY INITIAL GUESS WAS EXACTLY WHAT HE DID. This plot development pretty much kills Shiroe's character and made most of the season boring to watch. There was no big reveal; there was no suspense. It was just blah.

Oh and fuck Tetra. I seriously wanted to mute the anime every time she talks. Having such an annoying addition absolutely did not help.

So what did I like? The raid was nice. I liked seeing Shiroe create strategies, but it didn't make up for the absolutely boring everything else that happened. Most notably, S2 is the exact opposite of S1 in terms of entertainment. I loved most of S1 and hated S1's ending because it was a load of nothing except a love triangle. I hated most of S2 and loved S2's ending. I like the overall atmosphere of S2's ending, Shiroe's resolve and the path he wants to take. So I guess...it ended up being okay? Eh... I guess 6/10 but just barely.
Should I put it on the 'wait for a while' list that is forever growing longer _-_?
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty
Worships: Kousaka Reina
Wish: Hikachu to not hate me

Post by Chocola » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:57 pm

Have you watched S1? The thing about LH S2 is that after you watch S1 you will be excited to watch S2 right away, no matter how much you hear it sucks. That's the magic of LH.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MAL Ratings ISML Chat, Saimoe Blog, Saimoe Wiki
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
And that is...the view from the top.
Karob
School nurse
School nurse
Badges:
Worships: ♪♫~
Melon Pan: 55
2019 Female Favorite: Ichigo
2019 Male Favorite: Azusagawa Sakuta
2018 Female Favorite: Jeanne d'Arc
2018 Male Favorite: Saiki Kusuo
Wish: At the end of all our lives, to be able to say, "it was worth it".

Post by Karob » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:08 pm

Mystia wrote:
Log Horizon S2Show
sigh...

So... Before we can discuss S2, let's talk about why I enjoyed S1 so much. I enjoyed watching the Shiroe solve problems and take complete control of any situation in a surprising way. For example, buying the guild hall, I didn't expect that. Training Minori to be a strategist, sending them to training camp, that was really fun to watch and see the little ones grow. So what happened in S2? None of that. Frankly, Shiroe's only move for the first 24 episodes was his big buy, but that's totally different from anything he did S1. When he said he needs 5 trillion gold, I immediately thought, "Okay that sounds like he wants to buy all of Yamato, but it's probably something more interesting." NOPE THAT WAS IT; MY INITIAL GUESS WAS EXACTLY WHAT HE DID. This plot development pretty much kills Shiroe's character and made most of the season boring to watch. There was no big reveal; there was no suspense. It was just blah.

Oh and fuck Tetra. I seriously wanted to mute the anime every time she talks. Having such an annoying addition absolutely did not help.

So what did I like? The raid was nice. I liked seeing Shiroe create strategies, but it didn't make up for the absolutely boring everything else that happened. Most notably, S2 is the exact opposite of S1 in terms of entertainment. I loved most of S1 and hated S1's ending because it was a load of nothing except a love triangle. I hated most of S2 and loved S2's ending. I like the overall atmosphere of S2's ending, Shiroe's resolve and the path he wants to take. So I guess...it ended up being okay? Eh... I guess 6/10 but just barely.
LH S2 replyShow
Yeah, LH season 2 was surprisingly disappointing, but I still enjoyed it most of the time. And I still love Akatsuki (and Minori). And Tetra doesn't exist. Please don't say that name again.
ImageImageImage
MyAnimeListAniListProjects
"The right answer is to never stop thinking." ~Seikaisuru Kado
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage
Worships: Sofia Jalapeno Viviage
Melon Pan: 4
Wish: To die... ASAP.

Post by Reverend » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:10 pm

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi - First Impression (Episode 1-3) - l…Show
Okay, I've read the warnings across the net, and also the good reviews, and seems like I'll end up agreeing.

First, setting: undead that acts like human, bad-ass sidekick with unique personality, and idealist hero(ine)
hmm hmm, I'm sure after pondering it a bit deeper, people would say: I've seen this so many times
(let me mention two I can put in ASAP: Fallout, Dark Souls, what else?)
but this kind of setting always promises great story, no matter whether they want to keep the story centered on the main hero or they want to develop the world instead.
Furthermore this kind of setting also allows to whatever mood the author wants the story to have: happy, sad reunion, pure sadness, thrill & excitement (like an action movie,) anything.

But the big fault is the pacing:
This particular arc should have been a season of its own, really. (I mean: come now, you don't see things like this all the time. Try filling the Jun Maeda Bingo using this, and you'd get bingo, I'm sure.)
The pacing ruins it, like make it fail to explain a lot of things between Ai and Kizuna - and exploit more between this pair.
(and that exploitation that was lost was very important, since the the first episode "sold out" the ending to make people stay.)

The arc I'm about to start: I'm sure it would have been better as a season of its own, too.
Another example of: Anime used as advertisement for the original source. :(

well, too late to stop.
I'm having a crush with Toyosaki Aki's voice again (which is one of the reasons why Yui was actually my first fav K-On! girl, before season 2 started out and helped Mio and Azusa stole it.)
Plus Ai seems like a good MC - kinda like the brighter version of Fate Testarossa.
(Though it might do good if she loses for once or twice, it would reduce her from OP Gravekeeper into a newbie one)

Not to mention that girl who looked like Tomoyo <3

ps.: bold the word "promises", as there are a lot of story who just fell midway. This actually didn't, but pacing ruined it.
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto

Post by RailWarrior » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:55 am

Morita-san wa Mukuchi OVAShow
SO. FREAKIN'. CUTE.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:

Post by Bastion » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:20 pm

Mystia wrote:Have you watched S1? The thing about LH S2 is that after you watch S1 you will be excited to watch S2 right away, no matter how much you hear it sucks. That's the magic of LH.
I watched S1 as it was airing, so I even got the magic of having to wait a week between episodes. The only reason I didn't do the same with S2 was due to my computer fail.
After hearing this, I'm still keeping it near the top of my 'catchup bucket'. Thanks :)
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:25 pm

The ketchup is sour.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
A tall, towering wall looms in front of me. Beyond that is something that I could never to see on my own.
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:

Post by Bastion » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:12 pm

Mystia wrote:The ketchup is sour.
Probably better than some of the things I've had the option of eating for the past year+.
RailWarrior
Space cowboy
Space cowboy
Badges:
ImageImage
Melon Pan: 307
2018 Female Favorite: Nishimiya Shōko
2018 Male Favorite: Todoroki Shōto

Post by RailWarrior » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:51 am

BartenderShow
For the first 3 or 4 episodes, I couldn't really get into the stories. I felt they, and the anime as a whole, were lackluster. The extremely boring animation doesn't help, either. But after getting used to the style, I found myself being absorbed into the tales each customer had to tell. They were actually quite interesting. I'm glad I stuck through the initial episodes.

5/10. Interesting anecdotes, interesting presentation, but ultimately I don't feel anime is the correct medium to tell this story, As much as I was absorbed into the world of Bartender, it was overall just hard to watch.
lolcatstheotaku
Season faery
Season faery
Wish: i wish karen kujou can join next time

Post by lolcatstheotaku » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:29 pm

kanohistorm wrote: Tsukihime added to the list
goodluck bro!
Kara No Kyoukai 2Show
what just happened lol??? hospital?? why???, but likable anime i have to say. 7/10
next to watch is the sequels, wish me luck!

Myaninmelist: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Lolcats1997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:

Post by Bastion » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:25 pm

I note I have a lot of songs (or my player just gets to them often) of Keroro Gunsou. Anyone have an opinion of if I should try picking this series up eventually? :?
I just can't figure out what to do with it.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:34 pm

Bastion wrote:I note I have a lot of songs (or my player just gets to them often) of Keroro Gunsou. Anyone have an opinion of if I should try picking this series up eventually? :?
stupid jokes, funny & great characters aliens, some ecchi jokes with a bit nudity (not purely nude ecchi at first,) a bit of drama sometimes, funny ED

I haven't watch all the episodes, actually, but I enjoyed it
(especially since the woman who voiced Shin-chan dub in Indonesia voiced Keroro dub as well, she's probably the best VA here)

haven't watch the Japanese version, though
Giving his love for life, and died dreaming about her in the end. A real happy man, right? ~
Bastion
Titan
Titan
Badges:

Post by Bastion » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:23 pm

Reverend wrote:
Bastion wrote:I note I have a lot of songs (or my player just gets to them often) of Keroro Gunsou. Anyone have an opinion of if I should try picking this series up eventually? :?
stupid jokes, funny & great characters aliens, some ecchi jokes with a bit nudity (not purely nude ecchi at first,) a bit of drama sometimes, funny ED

I haven't watch all the episodes, actually, but I enjoyed it
(especially since the woman who voiced Shin-chan dub in Indonesia voiced Keroro dub as well, she's probably the best VA here)

haven't watch the Japanese version, though
Thanks, gives me more to go on than just the songs. Still not sure if I'll put it on the list though.. maybe after Ranma..
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:49 am

Kancolle 1-3Show
Someone kill me now. Or wait, just kill the fucking poi girl holy shit. When can I drop this shitty anime?
Kancolle 4Show
nm Touyama Nao is a goddess
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Homura
[Apprentice Magician]
[Apprentice Magician]
Badges:
Melon Pan: 55
2019 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2019 Male Favorite: Levi
2018 Female Favorite: Makise Kurisu
2018 Male Favorite: Yukihira Sōma

Post by Homura » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:41 pm

The Psycho-Pass movie is pretty nice. PP fans shall go and watch it.
Chocola
Hikarin's Kitty
Hikarin's Kitty

Post by Chocola » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:17 am

Kancolle FinalShow
It's not a bad anime. it's not great, sure, but it's pretty good in the entertainment department. The problem is you have to get through the most horrible 2 starting episodes ever. They were so incredibly boring. Still better than Plastic Memories. 6/10

PS: I now know more than I want about Japanese warships. While the anime itself isn't very education, it did encourage me to look up information, so there's that.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
CureRainbow
State alchemist
State alchemist
Badges:
Worships: Magical girls
Wish: everyone to be ultra happy!

Post by CureRainbow » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:25 pm

Non Non Biyori + OVAShow
At first, I was pretty bored at this series. The scenery was nice, but everything felt so slow-paced. But then I kept watching past the first episode, and I gotta say - this anime's pretty nice~ It's relaxing, shows a slice-of-life in a different kind of setting, and gives us a view of what the rural life is like. That kinda is how a slice-of-life should be!

As for the characters? Komari is my favorite out of everyone. I guess I can relate to her attempts of being mature despite her looking very young for her age. Though Renge is so funny and sweet, and Natsumi is so full of energy~ I'm kinda iffy on Hotaru, though. Her obsession with Komari is creepy as fuck, especially with all the plushies spread out in her room. Ugh, if she didn't have that obsession I would've liked her much more... Konomi is annoying though. I could deal with her not being in the show.

And the overall score? 7/10. There were some boring parts here and there, but it was still enjoyable to the very end.
Many thanks to Hikarin for making the amazing Akari~n sig!~
Elvinsky
Spirit hunter
Spirit hunter

Post by Elvinsky » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:49 pm

Spent the past week marathoning the entirety of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders (all 48 episodes of it).

Simply put, my apprehension about watching it turned out to be unfounded, as Stardust Crusaders turned out to be an even better sequel to both Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency.

Too much to gush about and too little space, so I'm gonna list down what stood out the most:
ImpressionsShow
- I see what Kurogarasu meant about Stands adding another layer of strategy to each battle, which fits perfectly into the series' style of having every battle be a battle of wits instead of brute force and power levels. Which makes every battle exciting and fresh as a result.

- Although the Ripple/Hamon is pretty much obsolete at this point of the series, part of me is glad that it's not completely useless. While it helps that Joseph has his own Stand at this point (albeit the weakest one), his greatest weapons are his quick thinking and creativity (i.e.: how he uses it).

- Speaking of Joseph, he has plenty of funny moments in this arc--which also includes a few call backs to Battle Tendency, such as his...err...tendency to cause plane crashes, strategically retreating during some fights, and his ability to predict what his opponent is going to say next. But the best funny moments were during his and Avdol's battle against Mariah and her Stand. Joseph's gratuitous English reactions add to the hilarity as well. ("OH MY GOD!!") I should probably mention by now that Joseph is my favorite "JoJo."

- Dio and his Stand's ability to stop time makes the scene with Quicksilver in X-Men: Days of Future Past look tame in comparison. Also, that special opening sequence for the last few episodes... *shivers*
Six out of five stars. If an anime can greatly change my opinion of it for the better after watching, it's definitely worth a higher rating than usual...as well as a rewatch (as long as the subs aren't done by "Subbis Horribilis").

And now I have the urge to "Walk Like An Egyptian" and catch the "Last Train Home." Not to mention I don't want to be buggered by the questions of whether I'll have to wait a long-a** time for Part 4 (Diamond is Unbreakable) to be animated and whether it will be as exciting as or better than the last arc... *sighs*

Anyway...I also had a look at Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Ark of the Stars/Odyssey of the Celestial Ark. (Chronologically, majority of this movie occurs between episodes 24 and 25 of the TV series.)
screencaps from the movieShow
To put the following scene in context, the Yamato has just escaped from a Gatlantean/Comet Empire fleet via warp jump. However, the Yamato finds itself inside a mysterious void space that contains a strange planet. Mamoru Kodai assembles an away team to explore the planet, but the team soon find themselves trapped on the surface of that strange world--which suspiciously looks like the Amazon jungle. And then they find something in the jungle's midst:
The actual WWII-era Yamato itself.

Upon entering the fabled battleship...

If a certain personification of said battleship were there right now, she'd probably say...

With that joke done, I'm mostly in it for the space battles and the sci-fi universe-building, and Ark of the Stars definitely delivered on both fronts.
Four and a half stars. Looking forward to see if this will lead to a second season of the series.
"Rip and Tear. Rip and tear until it's done."
"To the good people I met on this site (Kordosa, Minhtam, Crisu, Maglor, Desufire, Momo, Marinara, Midnight-Jasper, Hikarin, Momento10, Shiraoky, Alex, Bastion, Superunature, Demi., Sedon, xcrossfacekillahx, Silver21, CureRainbow) thank you for the nice memories."
Kordosa
Soul gem
Soul gem
Worships: Moriya Suwako's hat
2019 Female Favorite: Sakurajima Mai
2019 Male Favorite: Eugeo
2018 Female Favorite: Yamada Elf
2018 Male Favorite: Willem Kmetsch
Wish: A third season of Spice and Wolf.

Post by Kordosa » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:01 pm

I seriously need to post in this subforum more....
Mystia wrote:
Kancolle 1-3Show
Someone kill me now. Or wait, just kill the fucking poi girl holy shit. When can I drop this shitty anime?
According to the Kancolle wikia, there's apparently a reason why Yuudachi has that particular speech pattern:
~poi in Japanese means "maybe", "perhaps" or "seems like", it's something you throw in the end of the sentence if you aren't too sure of the result and end up concluding the sentence by guessing. The main reason behind Yuudachi's speech pattern is because no one actually had a clear record of what she actually accomplished in the Guadalcanal Campaign. It was technically a huge mess during the fight and no one actually knew what was happening. Even though Yuudachi did wreak havoc in the battle, there are other ships who also claimed the kills. Since her battle records were unclear and involved a lot of guess work from naval historians from both sides after the war, the game version of Yuudachi landed with the "poi" catchphrase just to reflect that little piece of history. (You can see from her introduction line that she wasn't so sure of her battle result in Guadalcanal either.)
Mystia wrote:
Kancolle FinalShow
PS: I now know more than I want about Japanese warships. While the anime itself isn't very education, it did encourage me to look up information, so there's that.
Here's a fan-interpretation of some of the naval events of WWII concerning the IJN, of course with a Kancolle flavor. Warning: Being what it is, the fates of the ships/kanmusu are inevitable, which the video depicts using MMD models.
SpoilerShow
P.S. You should try out World of Warships.
QuotesShow
Cirno wrote:*sinister laugh* Winning by only 47 votes is all part of my master plan. Now everyone will think I'm weak when, in fact, I'm the strongest. And then, when they least expect it, I'll strike back and take over the entire ISML. It's foolproof. Hahahaha, I'm such a genius!
Crisu wrote:And, of course, never merge an anti-cookie with a normal cookie. Serious consequence will occur.
shiraoky wrote:I'm always squeeing lol.
Metaler wrote:Seriously, if you're gonna do something badly, then don't bother doing it. It's like when you take a dump: you don't show it to other people specifically because it's shit!
Kordosa wrote:Protip: If a male high school student character is voiced by a female seiyuu, there is a 100% probability that that character will be forced to crossdress at some point.
Reverend
~Planetarian~
~Planetarian~
Badges:
ImageImage

Post by Reverend » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:24 pm

Yuyuko wrote:
Mystia wrote:
Kancolle FinalShow
Here's a fan-interpretation of some of the naval events of WWII concerning the IJN, of course with a Kancolle flavor. Warning: Being what it is, the fates of the ships/kanmusu are inevitable, which the video depicts using MMD models.
SpoilerShow
P.S. You should try out World of Warships.
hmm...
spoiler for KanColle game, manga, and animeShow
if I remembered correctly, all franchise of KanColle already confirmed that KanColle happens in an alternate future universe.
It is believed that KanMusu who sunk turned into the abyss fleet or something (which is why Kisaragi's hairclip was shown in the last episode, as if to suggest that airfield hime is Kisaragi.)

The game developer hasn't close the possibility of having an Allied KanMusu though they did say "it'll be hard and probably won't happen."

note: requesting correction from KanColle players on this, since I forgot where did I read this (and I don't play KanColle, just follow it.)
But still, I cannot help but to get excited for the prospect of getting the last stand of Yamato getting animated
(I can't wait for the final boss of every WW2-themed shoot' em up air-fighter games getting animated.)